Awoo.

Sonic-related pet peeves?

Aero

Well, there are levels. You can still put a unique spin on a character without changing their design completely.

• Thumbs Up 7

yeah that's true, my art as an example is the combination of graphic novel gritty-ness with the basic frame of a sonic character, and when i draw canon characters, they come out as much more serious as i tend to draw them with my spin of their persona on my mind

i don't deviate far from the basic's of a character i'm drawing i.e. sonic still has 7 quills, blue and conjoined eyes, i do however exaggerate his slenderness, height, quill size/length/sharpness and i tend to draw him in my own designed attire for him (normally new shoes and slightly different gloves)

but i'm babbling on, on the bottom line, if everyone drew the same, i'd have no interest in being an artist, period.

Another pet peeve of mine is when people say disliking SonicXShadow is homophobic.

Another pet peeve of mine is when people say disliking SonicXShadow is homophobic.

I don't find it the least bit homophobic, since, you know, both of them are 100% straight?

And personally I really don't mind shipping (hell I've always been a closet Sonamy and Taieam supporter). Shipping is cool just as long as the pairing makes sense.

For example:

Sonamy: This makes sense because Amy loves sonic and while sonic isn't the least bit interested in a relationship, he has shown in some games that he somewhat cares for her. And one could make the argument that sonic secretly does return Amy's feelings, but doesn't admit it because Eggman could find out about it, thus putting Amy's life at risk. But overall the Sonamy pairing makes sense.

Knuxouge: This obviously makes sense, because Sega confirmed that Knuckles and Rouge like each other but they are both to stubborn to admit it.

So overall if somebody decides to support a pairing whether it's offficial (Sonally), or has official content from the series, such as how certain characters act around one another (Silvaze), to support the pairing then the coupling is good.

I really don't mind some of the couples that don't make sense (OmegaXBlaze, EggmanXAnybody) if their done for the lulz. It's when people take these pairings seriously is when I get irked by it. For instance:

Sonouge: Sonic barely even interacts with rouge. Besides, Sega confirmed that she likes Knuckles anyway.

Every single Yaoi and Yuri couple: No explanation needed.

So as I said before, I do not mind shipping at all. Just make sure the couple you support makes sense at least.

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't find it the least bit homophobic, since, you know, both of them are 100% straight?

I honestly don't see the general problem with shipping. It's a fun thing for some people, so let them have their fun. The pairing doesn't even have to make sense as long as they're fully aware it would never happen in the games regardless of whether they want them to or not. We do all sorts of things here on this board that we know won't likely ever happen (although it's fair to say we have some influence at least), but that doesn't stop us from having fun with the ideas we come up with.

Now people who take it a whole extra mile and make a big fanboyish deal about it? Yeah, that's a problem. I mean they don't do it for fun, they do it because they think that's how it should be for whatever reason, or blow up in someone's face for not liking the pairing like the Sonadow pairing. Those people can kindly fuck off.

• Thumbs Up 2

Are they? Neither one's really shown any romantic interest in anyone in the games, except maybe some hints at Sonic and Amy (even then, that doesn't exclude him being bisexual). The only reason we have to say they're 100% straight is because we know Sega/Sonic Team wouldn't have the balls to go through with it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well in the Comics and TV shows Sonic has shown interest in females. If that counts

Are they? Neither one's really shown any romantic interest in anyone in the games, except maybe some hints at Sonic and Amy (even then, that doesn't exclude him being bisexual). The only reason we have to say they're 100% straight is because we know Sega/Sonic Team wouldn't have the balls to go through with it.

As much as I love "the boost" in the newest Sonic games, I think that there's too much. I love the speed, but I have a horrible habit of just holding down the boost button and winning it just by boosting all the way or boosting through most of the level. (kind of a cheap win ^.^; As it is very fun to be super fast, it gets kinda repetitive and boring sometimes)

Another one, is that I think there is too many humans.(Humans that really dont acknowledge the fact that talking blue hedgehog wearing big bright shoes and gloves just said "sup bro!" To them. That makes me giggle) Sonic is a little talking blue hedgehog that can run at the speed of sound, and he's hanging out with a bunch of humans. Hehehe. I would love to see him explore a completely new world in the games that doesn't resemble real life destinations, attractions, or the terrain on Earth...Well at least some interesting additions that you really wouldn't see every day x3

Edited by xTrickyWolfy
  • Thumbs Up 3

Another one, is that I think there is too many humans.(Humans that really dont acknowledge the fact that talking blue hedgehog wearing big bright shoes and gloves just said "sup bro!" To them. That makes me giggle) Sonic is a little talking blue hedgehog that can run at the speed of sound, and he's hanging out with a bunch of humans.

Ain't nothing wrong with humans...

Now what we really need is more anthro NPCs.

• Thumbs Up 5

I don't mind humans in some cases, I personally like that Sonic isn't afraid to 'hang out' with normal people despite how famous he is in his world. It shows that he's not some sort of elitist who will only hang out with anthros like himself.

Slightly unrelated, yet related, is that I despise it when people will call any old game prototype a 'beta'. I'm not an expert on game development, but I know enough to understand that a beta is a late prototype, where virtually everything is finished, and is sent to game testers so that any bugs can be identified. Anything before this is an alpha.

The Simon Wai prototype of Sonic 2 is obviously an alpha. Not all levels from the final are implemented, most that are implemented are half-finished, and it contains several levels not present in the final version. And yet it's referred to constantly as a beta. If the Simon Wai prototype was sent to game testers they'd turn their noses up at it. In fact, I've even seen the Sonic 2 Nick Arcade prototype and even Sonic Crackers been referred to as 'Betas' before. Sometimes the Nick Arcade sonic 2 alpha is called an "Early Beta". Sonic 2 Beta 4 is the 'Early' beta. Sonic 2 Nick Arcade is an early Alpha, or Pre-Alpha.

"Betas" are common. They shouldn't get hyped up about because all they are, are slightly buggier versions of the final game. They should only be hyped up about if they're a "beta" for an unreleased game.

Am I the only one who gets annoyed when I hear people say that Classic Sonic had "an attitude"? It annoys me no end when I hear Sonic haters say this. The only real personality trait we know about Classic Sonic is that he's impatient, and has a "get it done now" persona. The whole idea that Classic Sonic is some sarcastic, joke-cracking jerk stems from all the western localisation and media, such as the cartoons. In the games, Sonic never displayed such an attitude until Sonic Adventure, and yet, even though this is when his 'attitude' became a part of him in the games, people always associate Sonic having an 'attitude' in the Mega Drive days, and that it's something he's "lost" in the transition to 3D games, and yet the 3D games are the only games where he's at all displayed any signs of it. By the same token I dislike it when I hear people insist that Eggman/Robotnik has to be called Robotnik, and start fights over a name. They're going to have to realise that no one calls him that anymore. Never do I hear "Why does everyone call him Bowser? He's King Koopa and you know it!" or something like that.

In the same way, however, I'm not too keen on the people who insist that the Japanese storylines are any more correct. Now, I do believe that the Sonic games take place on earth (and hence the classics take place on South, West Side and Angel island respectively.) but that's because that's where the later games are set. Basically, This is what I believe happened in the Mega Drive Sonic games:

- Anything that is mentioned in both the Japanese and Western Manuals

- Anything that happens directly in the game itself

- Anything that is backed up, or referenced, in later games.

This is one of the reasons why I dislike most of the non-japanese designs. The Japanese artwork for the mega Drive games were often sketched by the game's sprite artist (and then professionally drawn by someone else) so they look more or less like how they do in the game. I will not deny the fact that Sonic's localisation in the west helped the games to sell, but if something is merely made for something to sell and was not part of the development teams' intent, then it should be forgotten once it's lost its relevance.

Having Sonic's mouth roughly centered for talking but more off to the side for a smirk or whatnot is kinda tricky, one way or another that's going to be stretching and compressing curved polygonal surfaces and it's really easy to end up with artifacts as a result. You can do it, it's just hard. My guess is that they spent so long getting his face as good as it was they got so used to it anything else looked off.

donno if this has been mentioned, i skim read.... but it really annoys me when EVERY time that we get BRAND NEW GAMEPLAY vids for an unreleased sonic game, the person playing it ALWAYS sucks sleep.png i wouldnt mind so much but it seems that nearly always, that SAME person then goes on about how terrible the game is because its waaaaay to complicated.... i get a feeling most of these people never played a platformer before..

^ Not only that,but you have a breed of domestic lop-eared rabbits,which totally justifies Cream's ear design/position.

2-month_old_Holland_lops.jpg

and also...dawwwwwwww

• Thumbs Up 3

CGI sequences.

I get why these used to be common (and still are actually), but I hate them. Because they NEVER EVER seem to make the pre-rendered CGI even remotely match the style of the in-game graphics, causing a weird hiccup in style. Not talking graphical quality here, rather art-styles. Sonic 06 is probably the biggest offender here with the game basically having a completely different design for Sonic when you compare the CGI model vs the in-game one. But games like Shadow the Hedgehog also falls flat since they made the CGI very realistic in style and detail only to have the actual game look more like Sonic Heroes (which actually DID have matching a CGI art-style.) with it's bright colours and shiny-shiny things.

Oh, and I also hate that Perfect Chaos doesn't look liket he cool Chaos stuck in a building from the CGI version in EITHER of the fights be it Sonic Adventure or Sonic Generations. DISAPPOINTED.

p_chaos.jpegPerfect+Chaos.JPG13Ld104e8.png

Is it really that hard to get him to look right? Really?

Edited by Tobbii

In Generations's case, they took creative liberties with Perfect Chaos's design in order to 'modernize' him or something, but I also heard that the Generations design was based on the original concept design of Perfect Chaos, though I don't know if that's true.

Edited by Spider-Man Noir

In Generations's case, they took creative liberties with Perfect Chaos's design in order to 'modernize' him or something, but I also heard that the Generations design was based on the original concept design of Perfect Chaos, though I don't know if that's true.

I've heard that as well, and I don't believe a second of it. Something like "That design was not possible with the technology at the time" which is complete bull.

- The misconception that Amy's stomach has a tan marking on it identical to Sonic's. It doesn't. It's entirely pink.

- Nitpicky but Sonic character's hands being referred to as "paws" in fanfiction. No they are not paws. They are fuctionally human hands and not even vaguely paw-like.

- Sonic's quills in AoStH/SatAM. They look like a punkish mohican. Also, Sonic's quills in X because there's only 3 of them and they make the back of his head look weird.

- Sonic's evil-looking form in episode 67 of X being called 'Dark Super Sonic' like it's his official name when he doesn't have a name. Or at least one that hasn't been announced yet. Not likely that this form will ever get a name.

- People who say that everything and I mean everything about Werehog form is nonsensical and outlandish and something Sonic Team pulled out of their asses. BULL. One very established aspect of Sonic is his ability to change form through energy absorption. If Werehog form is outlandish because of the mechanisms behind it then so are Sonic's many forms in Colours because they go by exactly identical mechanics. A Wisp enters Sonic's body and he uses it's Hyper-Go-On power to change form? Exactly identical to a piece of Dark Gaia entering Sonic's body and changing his form.

- Ryan Drummond fanatics who say that you're violating their right to opinion when you merely say that their rabid demands for Drummon to be re-hired are misguided. There is a difference between an opinion and a desire that has no chance in hell of ever being fulfilled.

- Tails' near-criminal underutilization in SatAM. AoStH didn't have much in common at all with the games either yet it still gave Tails a heck load more respect and screentime than SatAM ever did.

- The way Sonic didn't even comfort Tails in episode 78 of Sonic X when he breaks down over Cosmo's demise yet he can comfort, hug and soothe Chris in the likes of episodes 26 and 51. I don't think that Tails' state of mind in that scene justifies Sonic's actions.

• Thumbs Up 2

One of my pet peeves is when people bash Archie Sonic before they have even read a single issue.

Another one is the people who start crap over things like Sonic having green eyes.

And my biggest pet peeve are the people who think that every character other then Sonic and Robotnik should be killed off.

• Thumbs Up 4