Awoo.

Sonic-related pet peeves?

Aero

I'm with Nepenthe on this one, Super forms are strong yes and have beaten gods, but sonic wasn't expecting someone to uppercut him, he was caught by surprise, by Knuckles nonetheless, this is the guy who can punch boulders like they are paper bags. The sheer shock and surprise may have made sonic loose his focus on his super and infact being super probably saved him from Knuckles' punch, rather than having his jaw come out the top of his head. (gees imagine the mess that would make!)

To be fair about this, Knuckles has merely punched Super Sonic into his base state, so it's possible it's quite a fragile state to be in (I mean, Shadow just randomly fell out of it and nearly died and all), and Mephiles didn't have to deal with one Super Form, but rather three. Otherwise, Shadow and Silver would've just handled it themselves.

Yeah, I'm not giving Solaris credit on the count that someone as immensely powerful as him could probably do something a lot more powerful and take down 3 superpowered hedgehogs with better ease than a man who had to build a device and distract Super Sonic before sapping him. Mephiles being written as somewhat of a manipulator himself could have possibly done something as Solaris and manipulated more than just time and space in order to set the heroes back more.

Bad writing it may certainly be, but the fact that hardly any villain bar 2 people were capable of knocking the Super out of a Superpowered Hedgehog and Mephiles not being one of them should show who's the more impressive villain than one who teleports the hero and shoots him in the back with the narrative not doing a good job of handling the action.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonîc
  • Thumbs Up 1

Who's to say Tikal didn't spend all her life around the Master Emerald, especially considering it was, yanno, just there out in the open, and an important cultural symbol in her tribe's life? I'd find it weirder to believe she'd just found it when we started getting introduced to the past events.

Well

seems pretty clearly to be the first time she went there.

People that say Tails is a girl or think that he is gay.

And the fact that a song exists called you be tails, i'll be sonic

That has nothing to do with Sonic or Tails.

• 2 weeks later...

This is pretty much the most minor of points ever that nobody gives a shit about, but hey ho. 

So I've been looking up footage of SegaSonic Arcade for research purposes and it's made me think of something; I kind of wish more fanartists, and even the Archie comic, would take more queues from that game for Mighty's design. 

lulmighty_zps6a8a1f86.png

No, it's not exactly a massive difference from Sonic that makes him completely different, but it's still more than Knuckles Chaotix and the exact sprite copy design he had there. People often talk about wanting to differentiate him from Sonic which would make him more adaptable into the games (LET ME STRESS THAT I DO NOT SUPPORT THIS), but then all they do is change his clothes and maybe give him a long nose, and I personally think that's not putting their money where their mouth is. He's got a bit more bulk here, you could do some differentiation from Sonic in body shape. I mean, you could make him legitimate wide and bulky (not necessarily fat...) and use the shell to emphasise the girth. Not just say that it's easy to change him from a Sonic clone then do nothing to actually change him from a Sonic clone. I've been indoctrinated by the usual slim look for so many years that I've not even thought about this until now.

Also the Archie comics should correct Ray's tail by making it like his game tail and not a squirrel tail, but I'm just thankful they've finally gotten rid of that jacket so I consider that more of a bonus if they ever feel like it. 

- People that think the Sonic cycle is still relevant. It's not 2006 anymore guys.

- Generalizing every Sonic fan as a complete dipshit. Most of us are pretty chill you know.

- The idea that every Sonic fan ever has some kind of mental illness.

- Fan writers that think their fancharacters are important somehow. You can make 'em all you like, but please don't act like they're in any way relevant or important.

• Thumbs Up 7

Not to hate all people that do this but, I really dislike fan-characters, Especially if they are recolors of sonic with the worst colours you can imagine. I don't mind it when people just try and make their own character which is fine, but I think it is getting way out of hand.

Here is an example, try and Google any name and add "the Hedgehog" at the end.

Bonus points if it is a recolored Sonic advance sprite.

Edited by Animatedmusic
  • Thumbs Up 2

*browses DeviantArt because he has nothing better to do than browse the internet and play Minecraft*

*9 hours later*

Oh man the horrors I hath seen.

Granted, they'd apply to any fandom, but Sonic is among the hardest hit of these:

• Self Fanservice. Why? Who felt the need to exaggerate the proportions of certain parts of the female characters (grossly or otherwise)?  When I'm looking for cute fanart, I don't want to see Blaze with a bust size that has gone from one extreme to the other or Cream as a muscly, scantily clad teen.
  • Fetish art in general. Good lord, the amount of times I wish I had the power to do something effective about it. I don't care if people are into it for some sick reason, that shit's still nasty, man.
  • Fanfics involving two characters and some OC that's talked about like we've always known her. Who the fuck is Rebecca? Why the hell should I care about her?
  • Thumbs Up 4

Recolors themselves are a non-issue, or rather a symptom of a problem.

Seriously.

The thing with the more notorious recolors is that they'd still be bad characters even if they were unique species, because it's not the species that defines a character's quality, especially in this series. There aren't a whole lot of officials who depend on their species to work; that trait's only had narrative significant for Shadow, Metal Sonic, and Espio- and even then Espio's specific ability that made sense for him to have was stolen by Amy, who in turn doesn't need to be a hedgehog either. If bats can crush on echidnas and weasels and wolves can make babies, Amy being a hedgehog is also unnecessary to her characterization. But ultimately: why does Tails need to be a fox? Why is Knuckles an echidna? In fact, why the hell does Sonic need to be a hedgehog when hedgehogs aren't the only critters who roll into balls? Forgetting that, his biggest claim to fame in the public eye isn't even rolling- it's going fast, and hedgehogs are slow as hell. It's why nature felt sorry for them and gave them spines.

Furthermore, I'm convinced that people underestimate the breadth of potential Uekawa's style holds in creating characters. Facial structure, body shapes, heights, and extraneous details like hair/fur, tails, and markings can vary wildly because he sticks to so few rules (exemplifying the volume of shapes through a mixture of curved and straight lines, specific pupil and mouth shapes that carry through many characters, simple markings and color schemes, little clothing on most male characters, etc.). This allows cohesion without sacrificing potential for variety; it's why people just "feel" that the Sega characters fit alongside one another, but that's just it; it's a feeling. I don't get the idea that people have a decent understanding of the Sega style. Combine this with the fact that most people can't even draw on a fundamental level and don't care to seriously learn, when people do actually go out and create a unique species, it's still awful and unfitting anyway. If your wolf looks like Generic Archie Furry #798,154, then congrats, you've got a wolf, but he doesn't look like a Sega character, much less a compelling character in general.

Going back to my initial thoughts, characters are made much more by their personalities, beliefs, and actions than they are physical characteristics. Not denying that a charming design helps, but remember: most people in the fandom don't give a shit about art to that extent. Regardless, even ugly or bland characters can be saved by good writing. Anyone who admires The Hunchback of Notre Dame or even any of Adult Swim's shows from Radical Axis can attest to the fact that memorable characterization can arise even from godawful art or physical description. Frankly, I've seen hedgehogs written really well (like mine =P), and I've seen all manner of species like canines, felines, birds, and even ungulates written fucking awfully. Why then, should my hedgehog get dismissed as a bad character because he naturally shares similarities to an official character of his same species, a recurring theme and de facto rule Sega has established about four times over already?

In general, complaining about recolors is useless to me. It misses the biggest point of making a character, as well as the fact that recolors are generally born from a lack of talent in art and character design which cannot be remedied by turning every hedgehog into an okapi or every fox into a condor.

• Thumbs Up 6

Recolors themselves are a non-issue, or rather a symptom of a problem.

Seriously.

The thing with the more notorious recolors is that they'd still be bad characters even if they were unique species, because it's not the species that defines a character's quality, especially in this series. There aren't a whole lot of officials who depend on their species to work; that trait's only had narrative significant for Shadow, Metal Sonic, and Espio- and even then Espio's specific ability that made sense for him to have was stolen by Amy, who in turn doesn't need to be a hedgehog either. If bats can crush on echidnas and weasels and wolves can make babies, Amy being a hedgehog is also unnecessary to her characterization. But ultimately: why does Tails need to be a fox? Why is Knuckles an echidna? In fact, why the hell does Sonic need to be a hedgehog when hedgehogs aren't the only critters who roll into balls? Forgetting that, his biggest claim to fame in the public eye isn't even rolling- it's going fast, and hedgehogs are slow as hell. It's why nature felt sorry for them and gave them spines.

Furthermore, I'm convinced that people underestimate the breadth of potential Uekawa's style holds in creating characters. Facial structure, body shapes, heights, and extraneous details like hair/fur, tails, and markings can vary wildly because he sticks to so few rules (exemplifying the volume of shapes through a mixture of curved and straight lines, specific pupil and mouth shapes that carry through many characters, simple markings and color schemes, little clothing on most male characters, etc.). This allows cohesion without sacrificing potential for variety; it's why people just "feel" that the Sega characters fit alongside one another, but that's just it; it's a feeling. I don't get the idea that people have a decent understanding of the Sega style. Combine this with the fact that most people can't even draw on a fundamental level and don't care to seriously learn, when people do actually go out and create a unique species, it's still awful and unfitting anyway. If your wolf looks like Generic Archie Furry #798,154, then congrats, you've got a wolf, but he doesn't look like a Sega character, much less a compelling character in general.

Going back to my initial thoughts, characters are made much more by their personalities, beliefs, and actions than they are physical characteristics. Not denying that a charming design helps, but remember: most people in the fandom don't give a shit about art to that extent. Regardless, even ugly or bland characters can be saved by good writing. Anyone who admires The Hunchback of Notre Dame or even any of Adult Swim's shows from Radical Axis can attest to the fact that memorable characterization can arise even from godawful art or physical description. Frankly, I've seen hedgehogs written really well (like mine =P), and I've seen all manner of species like canines, felines, birds, and even ungulates written fucking awfully. Why then, should my hedgehog get dismissed as a bad character because he naturally shares similarities to an official character of his same species, a recurring theme and de facto rule Sega has established about four times over already?

In general, complaining about recolors is useless to me. It misses the biggest point of making a character, as well as the fact that recolors are generally born from a lack of talent in art and character design which cannot be remedied by turning every hedgehog into an okapi or every fox into a condor.

Wow that was a long post.

The biggest problem I have with recolours is that people think creating a Sonic character is easy because all you need to do is take an animal, apply Sonic's body but change the colours and belly and BAM a new Sonic character.

That is pretty much the reason why I don't like fan-characters. People tend to think it is an easy progress, while the original Sonic characters will nearly always be better designed.

Edited by Animatedmusic

Again, that's more so an issue with the creator's lack of an ability in artistic endeavors, which is a wholly different issue most people don't care to actually do anything about beyond bitching. But again, as I surmised, the art of a character isn't always indicative of their quality. If my hedgehog is written better than your stork, then sorry, but my hedgehog is still the better character.

• Thumbs Up 1

My character is technically a " recolour" and I think that in some cases it is true that they have litte effort. I have tried to differentiate him but unfortunately I'm not great at drawing or even spritework (classic case of I can't get the image on paper to look like the one in my head) in my head he is more than a recolour (ok some different clothes and some hair) but I have tried really hard to write him different and give a backstory. Of course to others he may just be rubbish recolour with boring backstory but to me I put a lot of effort into him ( been developing for about 7 years now) with a backstory that I hope would interest some people.

Again, that's more so an issue with the creator's lack of an ability in artistic endeavors, which is a wholly different issue most people don't care to actually do anything about beyond bitching. But again, as I surmised, the art of a character isn't always indicative of their quality. If my hedgehog is written better than your stork, then sorry, but my hedgehog is still the better character.

Dark Pit work as an example? I haven't played Kid Icarus Uprising, but I know he's a major character in the game.

My problem with fan characters stems more from their personalities than their appearance. While the artistic tact of artists may very, I feel like most fan characters tend to blend together and use A LOT of Fanfiction cliches(Long lost sibling of a main character, usually has better powers than everyone else, etc. etc.).

However, I try not to generalize and there are some decent OC's out there, its just that everyone is too hung up on the bad ones to acknowledge them and just generalize all OC's as shit.

Actually that's another pet peeve of mine: The generalization and utter contempt for Fan characters in general. I know Sturgeon's law will make everyone think that every OC is shit, but there are people out there who put actual effort in their characters in order to make them interesting, and I kinda pisses me off that those people get grouped with the people and just call their character shit regardless of any actual traits associated with them.

• Thumbs Up 6

My problem with fan characters stems more from their personalities than their appearance. While the artistic tact of artists may very, I feel like most fan characters tend to blend together and use A LOT of Fanfiction cliches(Long lost sibling of a main character, usually has better powers than everyone else, etc. etc.).

However, I try not to generalize and there are some decent OC's out there, its just that everyone is too hung up on the bad ones to acknowledge them and just generalize all OC's as shit.

Actually that's another pet peeve of mine: The generalization and utter contempt for Fan characters in general. I know Sturgeon's law will make everyone think that every OC is shit, but there are people out there who put actual effort in their characters in order to make them interesting, and I kinda pisses me off that those people get grouped with the people and just call their character shit regardless of any actual traits associated with them.

SHOW US YOUR FAN CHARACTER

SHOW US YOUR FAN CHARACTER

I could make one if I wanted...I doubt if I'd be able to make an interesting one tho.

I've found that the more interesting OCs are ones that aren't overused species.

I have an old one (from back when I was into that sort of thing) who was a spider...although now that I think of it, I never gave him a personality...

EDIT: Which means he'd fit right in with the rest of the fan characters!

Edited by Game & Wario

If I was going to make a fan character, I would probably make him a blood knight; someone who just wants to beat the shit out of things for the sake of it and goes out of his way to seek out strong opponents. He can be a mercenary hired by Eggman to finally off Sonic and friends once and for all.

Going back to the whole fan character species thing, I hate it when one makes a hedgehog or a fox and people are all like 'change this! Hedgehogs/foxes are overused!' Seriously, it is possible to make a good fan character regardless of the species.

Seriously, it is possible to make a good fan character regardless of the species.

Well yes, but there are very few traits that, on their own, will tank a character. That doesn't mean they don't work against you, though. Making your character a hedgehog or a fox or another "important" species means you're fighting an uphill battle.

As far as species goes it annoys me more when people cross-breed them with almost no rhyme or reason whatsoever. I mean, how the fuck does a hedgehog/fox combination work, anyway? Not even just realistically, but stylistically? Even if it's not just blatantly copypasting Tails's tails onto Sonic's sprites I can think of a single way both traits would compliment each other at all. That's not even getting into the more ridiculous stuff I've seen like fox/rabbits that I've seen throughout the years.

Personally I think the simplest picks for species are the best ones. If not one already taken by an official character, there's always wolves, frogs, dogs, lizards, lions, basically the kinds of things even a young audience can identify with almost immediately. Because when you actually have to explain what the fuck your species is exactly to anyone, frankly, it comes off as being obscure simply for the sake of it, which in turn just reeks of desperation to be unique when you can accomplish that more practically through characterization and ability.

• Thumbs Up 1

Because when you actually have to explain what the fuck your species is exactly to anyone, frankly, it comes off as being obscure simply for the sake of it, which in turn just reeks of desperation to be unique when you can accomplish that more practically through characterization and ability.

I'm sure we all knew what an echidna was when we were, like, 5.

Honestly I've always liked that the series didn't go for just common, high-profile animals. Sonic wouldn't be Sonic if he were just a dog or a cat or whatever. So yeah, bring on Filbert the Platypus, Bullet the Pistol Shrimp, and Sherry the Sugar Glider. It's a hell of a lot better than Yet Another Anthropomorphic Wolf.

To be fair, the only common animal we have are cats. I'd like a wolf character tho.

To be fair, the only common animal we have are cats. I'd like a wolf character tho.

Well there's Fang...or did you mean a purebred wolf?