Awoo.

Sonic-related pet peeves?

Aero

Sure, if Sonic's bending over and giving you a taste of fucking goatse

if Sonic's bending over and giving you a taste of fucking goatse

bending over and giving you a taste of fucking goatse

...this is probably a thing somewhere.

Because it takes something you're used to, and puts a weird, otherworldly spin on it.

Yeah, there's nothing especially magical about Sonic with realistic proportions and a human face, but there's something about it that hits a nerve because nobody's expecting something like that.

But it isn't even about being funny, it's about getting upset over it of all things.  There's no reason on Earth that you should be upset by something just because it's ugly as fuck.  Sure, if Sonic's bending over and giving you a taste of fucking goatse, I could see why that'd upset you, but it's not; it's just a cartoon character drawn in a silly way.  You may not like it, no, but not everything is for everybody (like you said) and you should just get over it and move on.

Even so, you could at least be more considerate to the people who don't like it. We aren't going to "get over it" just because you tell us to.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, okay, Sonic Lost World obviously takes some inspiration from Sonic X-Treme. We get it.

Here's the thing. Sonic X-Treme was never released. Sonic X-Treme is unknown to the general gaming public. You know what isn't unknown to the general gaming public? Super Mario Galaxy and its sequel. The Mario Galaxy games are comparable to what we've seen in Sonic Lost World if you ask me.

It helps that the Mario Galaxy games are actually relevant to the general gaming public. One (relatively shitty looking) cancelled Sonic game during the Saturn era isn't.

People can't compare things to what they have not seen or understand. I really don't think it's necessary to incessantly go on about how ignorant the gaming masses are when most people I talk to who actually play Sonic games don't even know about X-Treme. I know about Sonic X-Treme myself and even I said this after watching the trailer for Lost World the first time:

Wall run? No boost? Oh wow. Super Sonic Galaxy is lookin' pretty cool.

I don't know. I think people need to just lay off others making comparisons to Mario. It's gonna happen. Nothing you can do about it.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 1

Possessing a sense of humor doesn't require finding anything and everything funny. I don't get upset at particularly weird Sonic art like that- rather I find any art done in a mediocre way more annoying than the intentionally disturbing- but at the same time it's not my cup of tea. Doesn't mean I lack a sense of humor.

EDIT: Wow, such a ninja Chooch. Thought I posted in a Lost World thread. xD

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, I really wanted to get that point out there early without dragging down legitimate discussion in the actual Lost World topics. Or even worse, making a status update.

Well, I can't help but feel a tad annoyed at the notion made by certain folks that Sonic Lost World taking some cues from the Mario games is apparently a really bad thing...

And now a pet peeve involving something I've seen with people following the release of Lost World's trailer. It can easy be used in other instances as well;

Okay, you don't like Lost World's art style. We get it. You're welcome to bitch and complain about it all you want, but for the love of god, be at least somewhat mature about it. Don't throw the internet equivalent of a child's tantrum. Good god people.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, this ties in with my shiniest, newest fucking pet-peeve.

People complaining that the series isn't taking itself seriously/trying to be serious anymore.

I know it's the most hackneyed argument on the planet, but this is a fucking series about a blue hedgehog fighting robots.  I understand if you liked the poor-man's Final Fantasy/Halo/whatever plots we got from a few of the games, sure, you're welcome to like shit all you want. But Sonic was clearly not suited to that, judging by the fact that everyone with a brain stem hated the games.

You want to see someone like Shadow being a huge dick to everyone and killing people without hardly trying?  Go watch Vegeta in Dragonball Z/GT, or better yet, go read some Total Shadow fanfiction.

You want to see gods killing time or whatever the fuck Solaris did?  Go play Final Fantasy.

The Sonic games are not the place for that garbage, and while, yes, we could stand to get some deeper stories, things like alien holocausts and government assassinations are not at home in the Sonic franchise and, honestly, shouldn't have ever shown up in the first place.

This is all subjective, I know.  I'd be stupid to think I'm not going to get some backlash, but honestly, I don't care.  It's stupid and it pisses me off.

Edited by Game & Wario
  • Thumbs Up 2

The only thing annoying me about Lost Worlds at this point is actually not endemic to the game (Wisps are currently counterbalanced by being able to climb ledges. Seriously, climbing ledges is awesome. <3), but the usual: "We've made up our minds this new game is going to be the best thing ever, but if you don't like absolutely everything about it, you need to wait and see more information before forming your opinion." Fuck this shit. All it is is a way to prop up your hype; nothing more or less.

There's no part of the spectrum off-limits when it comes to forming opinions off of pre-release information. That's the whole point of trailers and press releases. If something about an upcoming game bothers you, then it bothers you, and it's inevitably going to bring the overall potential of the game down for you. If you like everything about a game in question at this point, cool beans. But don't tell me I have to wait on upcoming info to justify my distaste of something Sega's already presented to me. Yes, my opinion can change later down the line. But so what; so can yours, and considering every Sonic game's hype wears off and the flaws start to be more clearer to a lot of people, it almost always does.

• Thumbs Up 8

I at least expect to the the game's stories take themselves seriously in the respect that they have competent storytelling without disregarding aspects of a full narrative because "It's for kids". Games like Colours and Generations didn't take the fact that they were telling stories anywhere near serious enough, resulting in plotholes and an annoying single fixation on humor. Simple/Aimed at kids, lighthearted and humorous should not equal flat, immature and lack of story development and abandoned plot points.

but the usual: "We've made up our minds this new game is going to be the best thing ever, but if you don't like absolutely everything about it, you need to wait and see more information before forming your opinion." Fuck this shit. All it is is a way to prop up your hype; nothing more or less.

THIS. And whatsmore, it's hypocritical as hell. People are fully within their rights to scrutinize a game as much as they are to exult it. There's nothing wrong whatsoever with voicing discontent on initial aspects and how they come off to you just like there's nothing wrong with having a positive impression and voicing how pleased you are about it.

• Thumbs Up 2

Another pet peeve is whenever we get new or returning characters they're atomically lable as shitty characters. Some articles from some gaming sites on Sonic Lost World they're calling the new villains shitty characters when they probably aren't even playable characters plus they barely know anything about them. This is really getting annoying when the series has to limit itself and can't try new things anymore (which is probably isn't the case in SLW).

Edited by sonfan1984

You want to see gods killing time or whatever the fuck Solaris did?  Go play Final Fantasy.

I hope we can all recognize the irony of the Classic Sonic game Japanese manuals specifically mentioning deities and gods interfering in the events of the planet and stop saying wide-reaching lore like this doesn't fit the series.

• Thumbs Up 4

I hope we can all recognize the irony of the Classic Sonic game Japanese manuals specifically mentioning deities and gods interfering in the events of the planet and stop saying wide-reaching lore like this doesn't fit the series.

That probably wasn't worded as well as it should. (also wat)

Especially since "killing time" was the topic of the latest installment.  Rather, the way it was handled was the problem.  Government agents, princesses, time travel leading to gaping, oozing plotholes and conflict, god-moding, death just for the shock value...that sort of thing.

Choo-Choo, God of Onion Rings can blow up Earth as many times as he wants as long as Sonic doesn't get lanced by Dan Green anymore.

The only thing annoying me about Lost Worlds at this point is actually not endemic to the game (Wisps are currently counterbalanced by being able to climb ledges. Seriously, climbing ledges is awesome. <3), but the usual: "We've made up our minds this new game is going to be the best thing ever, but if you don't like absolutely everything about it, you need to wait and see more information before forming your opinion." Fuck this shit. All it is is a way to prop up your hype; nothing more or less.   There's no part of the spectrum off-limits when it comes to forming opinions off of pre-release information. That's the whole point of trailers and press releases. If something about an upcoming game bothers you, then it bothers you, and it's inevitably going to bring the overall potential of the game down for you. If you like everything about a game in question at this point, cool beans. But don't tell me I have to wait on upcoming info to justify my distaste of something Sega's already presented to me. Yes, my opinion can change later down the line. But so what; so can yours, and considering every Sonic game's hype wears off and the flaws start to be more clearer to a lot of people, it almost always does.
Eh, to be honest, both sides can stand to not be such obnoxious busybodies about expressing their opinion on the subject. Nothing ruins a good discussion more thoroughly than those who are more focused on insulting each other than actually learning from one another.
  • Thumbs Up 5

Sonic 2. Westside Island's citizens misusing the powers of the Chaos Emeralds lead to avarice, forcing displeased gods to take the Emeralds away from these avaricious people and hide them away on the Island.

Sonic 3/Sonic and Knuckles. A faction of dark-minded elders attempt to fraction-off a portion of the Master Emerald's power. The energy backlash wipes out their society. A god then comes to the island. tosses the emerald into the sky to prevent it's misuse but then the rest of the island followed it.

Sonic Adventure. The Knuckles' tribe's and it's chief's greed and warmongering attitude makes them attempt to seize the Master Emerald by force, trampling many innocent Chao and said chief's own daughter. Said Chao's guardian annihilates the chief and most of his tribe then when it becomes out of control, the chief's daughter sacrifices her soul to the emerald to seal it away inside it. Future murals attest to the creature's rampage.

The point is, the series has a history of utilizing plots involving touchy supernatural entities akin to Solaris. So '06 isn't some 'special offender' on the touchy deities front.

Especially since "killing time" was the topic of the latest installment.  Rather, the way it was handled was the problem.  Government agents, princesses, time travel leading to gaping, oozing plotholes and conflict, god-moding, death just for the shock value...that sort of thing.

I still think the way Time Eater was handled in Generations was misguided but for a different reason. The plot never addresses what the Time Eater is, how it works exactly and what it's motives were in joining with Eggman. Is it malevolent? Why? Why is it throwing it's lot in with Eggman? Why is it seemingly struggling to escape from the Eggmen's robotic adjustments to it when you see it before the final boss, even seemingly acting like it's uncomfortable? Is it being used against it's will?

No exposition is as bad as convoluted exposition IMO.

• Thumbs Up 2

No exposition is as bad as convoluted exposition IMO.

I can't agree; when you've got "exposition" as bad as '06, I would've much rather had a bare-bones story than the bullshit we got.

As far as the Eggmen and Time Eater go...I don't know where you're getting the "uncomfortable" part.  I never noticed that (but you've clearly got much more of an eye for detail than I do :P); I always just assumed that the Eggmen roboticized it and that was the end of it.

Choo-Choo, God of Onion Rings can blow up Earth as many times as he wants as long as Sonic doesn't get lanced by Dan Green anymore.

You're right that it's about how these things are handled that counts the most, but regardless none of the things you mentioned are inherently out of bounds for the series, which is a common sentiment around these parts and elsewhere that gets on my nerves, and it's just indicative of extreme dissonance in and out of the series. Rouge is a government agent. Blaze is a princess. The Time Stones allow time travel and the potential for plot holes. Entire civilizations have died already. You have a problem with aliens because ShtH had them and thus by proxy aliens are bad now? I hope you didn't like Colors then. Aliens everywhere in this bitch.

You know what I'm tired of in this specific argument? People acting like Sonic's cartoony design prohibits it from doing anything heavy, or sad, or dangerous, or serious with any tact. It makes no sense to me that anyone can say these things about the series, or worse, praise the awful storytelling we're getting right now as what's "proper" for the series, and then go shed tears at the latest fucking cartoony-looking Pixar movie. How the hell are toys inherently less cartoony than Sonic that pure adults are rendered into sniveling messes and no one gives a damn? And no, I don't want to hear anything about medium differences either. It's such a non-point that Toy Story is a movie and Sonic is a game, and frankly does a disservice to games' potential for storytelling and their status as an art form.

All in all, the storytelling we have sucks, because it treats Sonic like a Looney Tunes short instead of the superhero series it is. Trying to push out anything pertaining to danger, heavy-handedness, or interest because you hate some goddamn seven and eight year old games that are barely canonically relevant anymore is not the way to go about things.

Eh, to be honest, both sides can stand to not be such obnoxious busybodies about expressing their opinion on the subject. Nothing ruins a good discussion more thoroughly than those who are more focused on insulting each other than actually learning from one another.

It's not so much insults (although those are bad too) so much as it is people having an inherent problem with an opinion that deviates from the consensus at the time. I've seen more of these kinds of conversations where your opinion is illegitimate somehow versus you're an idiot for having that opinion in the first place. Both are wrong however.

• Thumbs Up 6

My pet-peeve?

The fact that the various story writers that the games have got thus far, never actually reached a middle ground on the humor / seriousness ratio.

On one side, you have horrible stuff like the hilariously generic Black Doom, that infamous scene in ShTH when the president talks about terrorists and shit, and the whole story of Sonic '06. I don't even actually like the concept of GUN existing in the Sonic World to begin with, but I can live with them, I suppose.

On the other, you have a complete disinterest in telling a good story, like in Sonic Colors, completely flooded with hit-and-miss jokes and the disappointment that was Sonic Generations story.

I'm not asking for some Shakespeare-like level of storytelling,mind you. Just a good story, like I felt Sonic Adventure 1 had.

Is it bad to point out that it's possible that the gods mentioned in the classic manuals are now retconned/the emeralds themselves/Chaos (who's a demigod more than a real god)?

The Time Stones allow time travel and the potential for plot holes.

So then the writers should take care in creating/filling them.

I can't agree; when you've got "exposition" as bad as '06, I would've much rather had a bare-bones story than the bullshit we got.

What I am referencing is the 'touchy deity' bit and how lack of exposition makes Time Eater the most shallow and unexplained 'villain' the series has yet seen.

Solaris had a reason for his pissiness; He was being tampered with by people and the experiments split him in two, violating him.

Time Eater comes right the fuck outta nowhere with no reason given for it's origin and no explanation given for it's behaviour and partnering with Eggman.

As far as the Eggmen and Time Eater go...I don't know where you're getting the "uncomfortable" part.  I never noticed that (but you've clearly got much more of an eye for detail than I do tongue.png); I always just assumed that the Eggmen roboticized it and that was the end of it.

Either Crusher or Homem noticed this (I often confuse those two XD), how the way the Time Eater is animated in the cutscene in which it is confronted makes it look as if it's trying to break free of it's robotic parts, as if it's being constrained by them and doesn't like it. There's a really dissonant quality to it's movement as if it's struggling;

Either Crusher or Homem noticed this (I often confuse those two XD), how the way the Time Eater is animated in the cutscene in which it is confronted makes it look as if it's trying to break free of it's robotic parts, as if it's being constrained by them and doesn't like it. There's a really dissonant quality to it's movement as if it's struggling;

Oh...neat.  Never noticed that.

Is it bad to point out that it's possible that the gods mentioned in the classic manuals are now retconned/the emeralds themselves/Chaos (who's a demigod more than a real god)?

So then the writers should take care in creating/filling them.

No, it's not a bad thing, but I wouldn't be sure what you mean overall. For example: Blaze being from the future was retconned by Iizuka. It doesn't mean that the creators never intended for "the future" as an actual concept to exist in the series, (again, time travel was introduced via the Time Stones in a Classic Sonic game, so clearly time travel as a concept "fits" the aesthetic of Sonic) and that it's some kind of concept too mature for the series. My point is that we've had the idea of gods and other dangerous/mystical/serious stuff since the series' roots and, as you say with the Time Stones, care should merely be taken to write about these concepts properly instead of arbitrarily deciding that they don't fit because Sonic looks just cartoony enough to be completely unable to "handle" them.

About the Time Eater thing, it's apparently a creature capable of altering time, so perhaps it might be powerful enough to resist the effects of the badnik-enhancements (or roboticized, however you wanna put it :P) to the point where it's still "conscious" even though it wasn't able to control it's body or it's powers anymore.

Still, it's funny that a Flicky (Gamma), of all things, was able to fight off Eggman's influence better than something that was arguably a god. :P

About Lost Worlds, while I did (and still do) take issue with people over the Wisp reveal, I agree it is rather hypocritical to say someone shouldn't judge something negatively just because they have little information, compared to people judging something positively on the exact same amount of information. I apologize if my post on the issue upset anyone.

... I'd say people should just chill out over opinions on a video game, but eh.