Awoo.

Unpopular Sonic opinions!

Alice Twilight

I like Sonic Colors more than I like half of the Sonic games released in the past ten years.

• Thumbs Up 8

I didn't find the Antlion Mecha from Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (GG) to be particularly difficult. I mean, it was still a rather sucky boss, but it wasn't nearly as much of a pain as, say, Sonic & Diablon from Shadow the Hedgehog.

I really don't know if this is unpopular or not since you all give off weird mixed messages but I don't care for Big being retired/scrapped.

Also, I think Sonic Colors is the 2nd best post-1994 Sonic title with Generations being the best

• Thumbs Up 1

I like Sonic Colors more than I like half of the Sonic games released in the past ten years.

• Thumbs Up 1

90% of people like colors more than any other Sonic game though.

That's not even an unpopular opinion.

• Thumbs Up 5

I think that Silver either need to be killed off or rebooted since nothing about him right now is good. His design is terrible, his backstory is incredibly cliche, and I don't think that psycic powers can fit into a Sonic game at all.

Instead of 'classic in 3d' Sonic Team should try incorporating parkour like elements into modern Sonic games (wall jumping, more dynamic movement, etc.).

The fact that Sonic Riders 2: Zero Gravity wasn't released on PS3. Although not an unpopular opinion I really enjoyed the game and was it was disappointing to have it not on it or 360. I haven't played much Sonic games in the recent years (Sonic and SEGA All Stars Racing being the sole exception for new games, and revisiting old games like Sonic The Hedgehog, Sonic The Hedgehog 2 and Sonic Adventures.) So I can't really say much about them.

Although if I recall correctly, one thing that did make me hate Sonic Adventure 2 Battle was having to play as Tails (and Eggman I believe?) in a machine. It has been to long to remember if you could play as Eggman in that game (pretty sure you could.) I hate machines and generally avoid games (other than racing games, and these are mainly like Mario Kart) that have machines in them.

Edited by Asraik
  • Thumbs Up 1

90% of people like colors more than any other Sonic game though.

That's not even an unpopular opinion.

Have you seen the recent Colors topic? I must say that statistic is grossly overestimated.

• Thumbs Up 2

Have you seen the recent Colors topic? I must say that statistic is grossly overestimated.

Edited by Alice Twilight
  • Thumbs Up 2

I've posted in it, just seems like a minor vocal minority on this site that thinks differently of it.

Every else I go it's "THE GAME THAT BROKE THE SONIC CYLCE" "FIRST GOOD SONIC GAME IN 10 YEARS"

• Thumbs Up 2

It seems like the unpopular opinion atleast from what I see on the SSMB.

Edited by Inferno
  • Thumbs Up 3

I think people keep forgetting that while awesome, this site is less than 1% of the internet as a whole. I can assure you that elsewhere people see the game as the messiah of modern Sonic games. If anything, this forum feels like a breath of fresh air for me, being that it's pretty much the one place where I can openly say "I liked Unleashed" without being laughed at.

And I feel like I have to put this disclaimer in my posts alot these days, but I don't hate Colors. It's just that alot of the time my attention is often being used on tending to Unleashed's reputation, and I don't defend Colors as much because I think it fares just fine in the eyes of the public and doesn't need defending as often, it stands up on it's own very well imo.

Edited by sonfan1984
  • Thumbs Up 3

- I think that Sonic Blast/G-Sonic had a pretty awesome soundtrack. It's version of Green Hill Zone is just beautiful, Blue Marine Zone's theme is endearingly mysterious and it's Extra Boss theme (Which I can't find except for in a playthough) is just incredibly awesome;

- Sonic Pinball Party is underrated. It's a very very good pinball game in it's own right and uses the Sonic, NiGHTS and Samba De Amigo series' extremely well. The theme to the two-player game "Ladder Climb" is one of the best GBA Sonic themes ever yet I can't find it anywhere.

- Sonic 2 Game Gear/Master System is hard but it's not as hard as it is so frequently made out to be.

If anything, that prize should go to Sonic UnleasHD. Not Colors.

Unpopular Opinion (I guess). I think Unleashed broke the Sonic Cycle. Not Colors.

Except it didn't. Unleashed fits the trend of the stupid Sonic Cycle perfectly. Infact, moreso than any Sonic game barring 06. Unleashed's hype was sky high, and it only half delivered for most people at launch. Half the game was mediocre generic beat-em up style. The thing with Unleashed is that it's definitely a game of distinct highs and lows. When it does things well, it does them exceptionally. When it does things poorly, it does them terribly. But overall, Unleashed was a game that got a lot of hype, and failed to deliver because there was just too much crap in the game. Stupid medal collecting, tedious hub worlds and I don't think the Werehog even really needs mentioning.

Colours on the other hand was a game that came out of nowhere and initially made a lot of people happy. People were highly sceptical at first due to the past slew of Sonic games, and with Sonic 4 hype at around the same time people didn't really care for it at first. But as the problems with Sonic 4 Ep 1 began to steadily reveal themselves, Colours' hype only began to build and by the time it was released it got a lot of positive reception. Why? Because it was the first game in forever that cut the crap and finally got to the point. It offered us a gimmick that actually made the Sonic experience more enjoyable rather than radically changing it for the worse.

I'm not necessarily trying to disagree with your opinion, but looking at it from a wider scale. As Inferno said, we constitute to a small minority and for the majority of people, Unleashed was half a fun game. The Sonic Cycle is a trend. Even if you enjoyed Unleashed, it still followed that trend. Colours didn't.

Edited by SiLeNt PyRrH0n
  • Thumbs Up 5

The Sonic Cycle doesn't actually apply to any game barring Sonic 06, a game which came out two years before it was made anyway which renders it all the more irrelevant. The whole idea behind the meme is that as more and more of a Sonic game is revealed, the lower people's expectations go until the actual release of a truly broken game implodes into an overwhelming field of negativity like a neuron star. This simply did not happen with Unleashed no matter which circle you look at, if only because people hated the Werehog at the outset and not as time went on.

Edited by Nepenthe

I think even though people only liked half the game. It was that half that made people optimistic about Sonic again. And laid the ground work for Colors and is what made Modern Sonic's gameplay what it is today. So i still stand by my opinion that it broke the cycle because its the first game that did something right in a long time.

Actually after reading Nepenthe's post. I guess that makes sense. Instead of loosely using the Cycle analogy I think it is more accurate to say that Unleashed is the first game to break new ground. No Sonic game had as massive of a fallout as 06

Edited by Dejablue