Awoo.

Unpopular Sonic opinions!

Alice Twilight

I can understand having Omochao and Warning-Signs in the first world, but are they REALLY needed in the final level, let alone in the final boss? Call me crazy, but I really don't want a dialogue bubble popping up every two seconds with the main cast telling me how to beat the already painfully-easy final boss.

You can turn off Omochao (and I don't think he even appears much in later stages, anyway) and the warning signs at any time. At least it isn't like Sonic Heroes where they feel the need to remind you of the basics constantly, with no option to turn it off (just like Time Eater, now that I think about it...).

I disagree completely that later stages of Generations are just as easy as Green Hill, but I suppose that depends on one's experience with the game. Then again, I don't really care much about difficulty. Honestly, based solely on difficulty, I'd probably have to pick Colours and Generations over Unleashed, because even if they're "too easy", at least they aren't "hard for really cheap reasons".

I think the general positive reviews of Ep1 were based partly on the fact that it had been 16 years since the last numerical Sonic game in the series. The reviewers were like 'Sonic 4 wow this is great'. Then when Ep2 was released, based on the negative feedback that Sonic fans provided for Ep1, the reviewers then gave Ep2 bad scores which was slightly unfair.

Sonic 4: Episode I only got the positive reviews it did get only because the critics had their nostalgia goggles on (omg Sonic 4/ \it's classic 2D Sonic) and the entire PR spin of Sonic 4 (the sequel you've been waiting 16 yrs. for/Sonic 4 as you truly imagined it/first critical step back to 2D Sonic roots/unrivalled classic feel). It didn't help that 3D Sonic was still trying to get back up on it's feet after 06 and Unleashed, so of course the mindset was that 2D Sonic > 3D Sonic. When Episode II came around, the critics had taken off their nostalgia goggles (after Colors, Generations HD, Generations 3DS, and CD 2011, the nostalgia filter should had worn off by now), and actually did see the problems the game had. I'm pretty sure that if Episode I came out today as it is, reviews would be around the same as Episode II's reviews if not more negative.

• Thumbs Up 5

Sonic games well never get the scores they truly deserve, because in today's age, reviewers give the best scores to games that either look realistic, have the best online multiplayer, best voice acting, are shooters, or all of the above. Platformers are dead to some critics out there, no matter how good they are.

You seem to be forgetting that Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 got amazing reviews, and in fact were hailed by many as some of the very best video games of all time.

I also preferred the Modern gameplay in Generations. Mainly because I can have a more fun time with classic gameplay in Sonic 2 for example than in Sonic Generations. His gameplay is much tighter and more inventive there whereas I feel Generations did the Modern style of gameplay better than Unleashed and Colours did.

• Thumbs Up 3

Around this time of the month, every month, I go onto Sonic Channel. And everyday from then, I'll check its blog, just to see if the preview hints to something good, in the vain hope that it will blow my mind.

It rarely happens, but I don't let that stop me.

I hope that one day regardless of Modern, Classic, or Adventure that all of the gameplay styles mix the best from each, because to me, each of them are just as important.

-Sanime had SUPERB voice acting!

-Sonic Generations was better than Sonic the Hedgehog 1 & 2

-Griffith was still crap in SatBK

-Sonic Adventure is still the best Sonic game

Except Rouge did foreshadow the Biolizard earlier with a newspaper(?)/research document on the prototype when Shadow confronted her about to steal the Chaos Emeralds. Just something to point out.

It's brought up once on a basically illegible document that we don't really see and then dropped immediately so they can establish a plothole about Shadow knowing of Rouge but somehow not recognizing who she is. The question brought up in the conversation is not about the subject of the document but about Shadow's status as the ULF (a term that is never explained, by the way). This isn't foreshadowing because there are no hints that this thing still existed or that the document was even legitimate or accurate.

In fact, let's talk about the ultimate life form. What are the criteria? Why is is that Shadow fulfills them? How is it that Gerald knows that nothing else is able to exceed him?

In fact, let's talk about the ultimate life form. What are the criteria? Why is is that Shadow fulfills them? How is it that Gerald knows that nothing else is able to exceed him?

Shadow meets the criteria because in he's an immortal, powerful being that isn't a giant fucking lizard on life support. not to mention being intelligent, sentient and possibly holding a cure for an incurable disease (NiDS).

Gerald pretty much figured that Shadow was probably as closest to an "Ultimate Life-form" as he could manage, due to the fact that he needed the help of the Black Arms to do so, and the Biolizard, which was his last attempt, was a heavily flawed experiment from the ground up.

Edited by The Groosenator

It's brought up once on a basically illegible document that we don't really see and then dropped immediately so they can establish a plothole about Shadow knowing of Rouge but somehow not recognizing who she is. The question brought up in the conversation is not about the subject of the document but about Shadow's status as the ULF (a term that is never explained, by the way). This isn't foreshadowing because there are no hints that this thing still existed or that the document was even legitimate or accurate.

Actually, the cutscene before Rouge's Mad Space had her tricking the Doctor into giving her the password for the ARK's controls. So when she manages to get into the ARK's mainframe to gather all the info on Project Shadow (As was her established plan all along, note how she reports to her superior after the Eclipse Cannon is fired for the first time that she'll have a follow-up report prepped shortly), she discovers info on the Biolizard (A picture even pops up on the screen of it) and is shocked.

This actually makes her wonder exactly what Project Shadow is - Is it that Lizard thing on the screen or is it Shadow? This makes her do further research, in which she obviously print's-off data on the Biolizard and flashes it in front of Shadow's face in the cutscene before Final Chase, making him doubt what he really is.

There's not much to go on to suggest that the files in the ARK mainframe were toyed-with. The mainframe was password-protected and if Gerald's temrinal programme to send the ARK out of it's orbit couldn't be disabled, what says that files on the Biolizard could have been deleted or overlooked either?

I always thought that self-regeneration and self-replication were the aspects of the Biolizard that thrilled the researchers in regards to being an ULF. Seriously, seriously doubt Shadow can self-replicate however. I think that ULF traits include inability to age, therefore giving immortality, inability to catch disease and an insane degree of bodily resilience.

Edited by Verte
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't understand the hype of Sonic Colors. I've played it and have beaten it thoroughly. When people act like Colors is the franchise's knight in shining armor, it just... baffles me. I honestly liked Sonic Unleashed so much more.

This one is also kind of weird, but I think it's slightly annoying when some people think the Sonic series is a popular anime icon. I mostly see this from kids that leave typical YouTube comments about how Sonic X is one of the highest rated and mature shows in Japan.

• Thumbs Up 7

This one is also kind of weird, but I think it's slightly annoying when some people think the Sonic series is a popular anime icon. I mostly see this from kids that leave typical YouTube comments about how Sonic X is one of the highest rated and mature shows in Japan.

This. So very much *cough*radicalclash*cough*. And Sonic X being a mature show? Lol wut? Oh I'd love for these kids to see a single episode of deadman wonderland.

And Sonic isn't even that popular in Japan and I heard the ratings for Sonic X over there weren't to hot anyway.

This. So very much *cough*radicalclash*cough*. And Sonic X being a mature show? Lol wut? Oh I'd love for these kids to see a single episode of deadman wonderland.

And Sonic isn't even that popular in Japan and I heard the ratings for Sonic X over there weren't to hot anyway.

Don't you mean radicalcrash?

Don't you mean radicalcrash?

Oh right. Minor spelling error. Still it should be common sense that sonic is a video game icon. Whenever I hear people saying that sonic is an anime franchise I just feel like banging my head against a wall.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well, there's apparently people that only know about the Pokemon anime and not the games. Still, I don't think Sonic X is THAT popular...

I think the general positive reviews of Ep1 were based partly on the fact that it had been 16 years since the last numerical Sonic game in the series. The reviewers were like 'Sonic 4 wow this is great'. Then when Ep2 was released, based on the negative feedback that Sonic fans provided for Ep1, the reviewers then gave Ep2 bad scores which was slightly unfair.

Thank you, this exactly what I meant.

I also didn't mean to say Sonic 4 was bad. I guess you may have thought that, but I didn't.

Let me elaborate. IGN gave Sonic its good score because and I quote "2-D Sonic is back baby!" or something along the lines of Sonic being in 2-D, it's reviews were based on the nostaliga factor.

Honestly if Generations were an 'original' game. I think it would have been based alot.

I think Sonic R and Sonic the Fighters are both excellent and fun games.

I want Sega to bring back the Super Peel Out. Even if it's relatively useless compared to the Spindash, it was fun and fit Sonic's gameplay very well. Plus, I think the figure-8 shoe movement looks cool for his top speed animation.

Actually, the cutscene before Rouge's Mad Space had her tricking the Doctor into giving her the password for the ARK's controls. So when she manages to get into the ARK's mainframe to gather all the info on Project Shadow (As was her established plan all along, note how she reports to her superior after the Eclipse Cannon is fired for the first time that she'll have a follow-up report prepped shortly), she discovers info on the Biolizard (A picture even pops up on the screen of it) and is shocked.

This actually makes her wonder exactly what Project Shadow is - Is it that Lizard thing on the screen or is it Shadow? This makes her do further research, in which she obviously print's-off data on the Biolizard and flashes it in front of Shadow's face in the cutscene before Final Chase, making him doubt what he really is.

There's not much to go on to suggest that the files in the ARK mainframe were toyed-with. The mainframe was password-protected and if Gerald's temrinal programme to send the ARK out of it's orbit couldn't be disabled, what says that files on the Biolizard could have been deleted or overlooked either?

Oh right. Minor spelling error. Still it should be common sense that sonic is a video game icon. Whenever I hear people saying that sonic is an anime franchise I just feel like banging my head against a wall.

Edited by Inferno
  • Thumbs Up 3

Heh, considering the number of likes some of these "unpopular opinions" have recieved, I guess some of our unpopular opinions are actually quite popular :P

Don't think I've said this already, but I thought Perfect Chaos' redesign in Generations was shit.

• Thumbs Up 2

I sort of like the idea of Shadow using GUN vehicles. It goes against everything I like about Sonic characters in general, but... I dunno. Something about it works in my eyes.

Here's one based on something I saw in the pissing off topic; I hate the terms SoJ canon and SoA canon. Okay, it's applicable to pre-Adventure material because of localisation issues, but nowadays? Sega of America canon is almost exactly the same as Sega of Japan canon, with some alterations in dialogue and script. But technically speaking, they take what Sonic Team says to be canon as canon, so there's no significant difference. Applying the term "SoA canon" to the alternate media, therefore, is a complete farce and should not be done. Just because SoA overlooks the licencing for the comics and threw around the idea of incorporating the cartoons into canon in the mid-90's doesn't make it any more canon to them than to Sonic Team themselves now.

Edited by VEDJ-F