Awoo.

Unpopular Sonic opinions!

Alice Twilight

Opinions gonna opinion

I guess me not liking Sonic' colour's script is kind of unpopular.

And I do believe I've actually put my finger on why I don't like it:

I felt that Sonic and Tails were reduced down to a mere 'brawn and brains' dynamic, when I saw both as being quite capable of being immature or 'dumb', and Tails acting so mature and so often snarking and facepalming at Sonic making a total fool of himself doesn't seem right, Tails is a kid, and I always figured he was quite innocent in nature to boot, and Sonic shouldn't be in such dire need of a straightman and voice of reason, he's not that dumb, the odd quip back and fourth is amusing, but Sonic was always the one that came out worse off for each joke, it was like the whole time the writers were like "lol can't believe this doofus thinks he's cool."

Previously it seemed to me that the main dynamic was that Sonic represented wildness and unaltered nature (originally to counter how Robotnik represented machines and how they are used recklessly and for greed) and Tails represented benevolent use of machines and domesticity, not the brawn and brains element.

Sonic also was a super-cliché speedster in colours, and most people know I do not appreciate that, he's more laid back than that.

Edited by Mysterics

I don't love any of the Sonic games, I haven't really been psyched about playing a Sonic game at all since I was a little kid with a megadrive. I'd play Sonic 2 and 3 just so I could play as Tails; especially Sonic 3, where you could make him do adorable doggy paddle swimming in the water levels. Other than that though I've always found the games boring, especially Adventure onwards, where the 3D gameplay has been fucking terrible and it feels more like you're fighting against the characters to make them do what you want instead of controlling them. If Tails didn't exist I'd never have gotten into the franchise at all. Oh and Sonic is a cocky douchebag with hardly any redeeming character traits; he's a mary sue and a pain in the ass. Especially in the cartoons.

I don't love any of the Sonic games, I haven't really been psyched about playing a Sonic game at all since I was a little kid with a megadrive. I'd play Sonic 2 and 3 just so I could play as Tails; especially Sonic 3, where you could make him do adorable doggy paddle swimming in the water levels. Other than that though I've always found the games boring, especially Adventure onwards, where the 3D gameplay has been fucking terrible and it feels more like you're fighting against the characters to make them do what you want instead of controlling them. If Tails didn't exist I'd never have gotten into the franchise at all.

I doubt that's an unpopular opinion. There are plenty who find the games post SA1 to be boring and/or bad. There are also plenty who got into the series because of Tails and his cuteness.

I know the voice itself was annoying at times, but In terms of actual acting, I liked Tails' Heroes voice more than his Adventure ones. In the Adventure games Tails' VAs were alright, but their acting was stiff as a board.

THIS! I've been saying the same for almost a decade, but i've hardly ever encountered anyone who seems to agree with me.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think Sonic X is one of the more enjoyable Sonic shows out there, yeah it had a lot of problems, but it had it's moments.

s

• Thumbs Up 1

Don't think I've said this already, but I thought Perfect Chaos' redesign in Generations was shit.

Yeah, he looked awesome in the CG opening of SA1. They should've used that for reference.

Don't think I've said this already, but I thought Perfect Chaos' redesign in Generations was shit.

I think you mean was THE shit.rolleyes.gif

I don't love any of the Sonic games, I haven't really been psyched about playing a Sonic game at all since I was a little kid with a megadrive. I'd play Sonic 2 and 3 just so I could play as Tails; especially Sonic 3, where you could make him do adorable doggy paddle swimming in the water levels. Other than that though I've always found the games boring, especially Adventure onwards, where the 3D gameplay has been fucking terrible and it feels more like you're fighting against the characters to make them do what you want instead of controlling them. If Tails didn't exist I'd never have gotten into the franchise at all. Oh and Sonic is a cocky douchebag with hardly any redeeming character traits; he's a mary sue and a pain in the ass. Especially in the cartoons.

I personally aside from a few games(SHTH, 06, SATSR,SATBK) haven't had issues fighting the characters controls just so i can play them. Especially in games Unleashed forward.

Edited by Sora

THIS! I've been saying the same for almost a decade, but i've hardly ever encountered anyone who seems to agree with me.

I feel almost the same way except I'm not crazy about any of Tails previous voice actors in the games (aside from Kate Higgins) cause either they hire young boys who can't freaking act or they hire grown woman with a grating voice.

Edited by sonfan1984

Werehog is the best Sonic form apart from normal form. Just because his gameplay is so polarising doesn't mean the form itself is intrinsically bad. I think it's a brilliant form that makes sense in the contexts of the Big Bad's properties (Dark Gaia) and is pulled off well. His design as well as fighting style is just crazy awesome. It combines intimidating and brutish with comedy extremely well and never goes in the direction of being overly serious and/or savage in a stereotypically evil werewolf manner. And regarding the Dark Gaia point, I thought it was clever how Sonic adapts to Dark Gaia's energy by having stretch limbs because that's an intrinsic property of a piece of Dark Gaia. See how most of the enemies attack with stretch limbs and/or have an elastic quality to them? This makes even more sense when you take into consideration Sonic's inherent ability in Colours to change his physical form in order to use Wisp powers. The energy absorbed dictates the form and the nature of the attacks used. So if the Werehog is some ridiculous idea going by form-changing by energy absorption then Sonic's nine forms in Colours are equally guilty because they go by the same mechanics. Not to mention other forms such as Super, Darkspine and Excalibur.

The form also gave character development to Sonic through it's very nature and showed just how creative he can be in combat when you take into consideration that sensically, it's Sonic who uses the properties of his new form to great effect and clearly invented those moves himself.

Edited by Verte
  • Thumbs Up 6

I feel the same way when people I know treat the Sonic series as a cartoon franchise rather than a video game one, or call Sonic a cartoon character when I've always seen him as just as much a video game character as Mario or Pac-man.

br />

Cream having her own game would make me feel and shed such manly tears of joy! In a style like Super Princess Peach.

Sonic unleashed was actually one of my favourite sonic game of all time. because it was different from other sonic games, & it just felt like sonic, exploration was the only problem. but it was still a great game to play. I'm never trading it in

• Thumbs Up 1

I want to kill every shipper. This applies for other fandoms, too.

What wrong with being a shipper?

Edited by sonfan1984

Here is one: i do not at all understand the appeal of having a fan-character.

Speaking of Sonic 3 and Knuckles, I adore the Sonic 3 half, but I think the Sonic and Knuckles half is actually quite weak in comparison. The levels go on way too long and just don't seem to have the genius level design or good pacing that the Sonic 3 half has. It's also at the S&K half that I begin to get not bored, but kind of like uuuuurrgh these levels are going on too long, especially in the trio of Flying Battery/Sandopolis/Lava Reef. I'm also not fond of Sky Sanctuary at all either, which confounds me as to why it's in Generations in the first place (and imo, much more enjoyable there).

It doesn't help that all my favourite levels are in Sonic 3 either (Hydrocity, Carnival Night, and Launch Base, particularly Act 2 of it) and the increased focus on underwater sections, is to me, awesome as I like water levels in Sonic games (this is a contributing factor to my like of Sonic 4 Episode 2 as well).

Playing as Knuckles makes the S&K half less tedious though, just because his game is shorter overall.

I don't mean that S&K is bad at all, it's still great and one of the best Sonic games, but I just don't find myself enjoying it anywhere near as much as Sonic 3. Perhaps this is because I don't tend to enjoy desert levels or fire levels all that much, and those are the two longest here.

Edited by Semi-colon e

I want to kill every shipper. This applies for other fandoms, too.

Little...extreme don'tcha think? There's absolutely nothing intrinsically wrong with liking couplings especially from something that has romance in it.

Here is one: i do not at all understand the appeal of having a fan-character.

Because it's fun to design something that is inspired by a franchise you love? I understand the distaste for horrid unoriginal recolours and Mary Sue's/Gary Stu's but a imaginative fancharacter that has had a lot of sensical thought put into it can be a pretty awesome thing.

Oh and Sonic is a cocky douchebag with hardly any redeeming character traits; he's a mary sue and a pain in the ass. Especially in the cartoons.

How is he a Mary Sue?

How is he a Mary Sue?

This is the "unpopular" opinion topic remember?

But it might have something to do with his irreverent, and "I'm the coolest attitude", and some might find his "tude" to be severely outdated and makes him seem like he's stuck in the 90's, or they just simply find another character more interesting and relatable than someone who's almost completely sure of himself and never has any doubt about what he does.

This is the "unpopular" opinion topic remember?

But it might have something to do with his irreverent, and "I'm the coolest attitude", and some might find his "tude" to be severely outdated and makes him seem like he's stuck in the 90's, or they just simply find another character more interesting and relatable than someone who's almost completely sure of himself and never has any doubt about what he does.

There's a difference between stating an opinion and outright blurting out things without backing it up.

Having firm self-confidence in the manner that Sonic does isn't Gary Stu'ish. And "Never having any doubt" isn't even correct when you consider that Sonic doubted himself right before he used Chaos Control for the first time. What backs it up is that what Sonic does is the right thing to do at the end of the day. And Sonic has, on plenty of occasions, shown great modesty that offet's that propensity for arrogance. Even when he is arrogant, he's frequently taken down a peg or two. Even Tails has done this despite them being as close as brothers.

Being a Gary Stu would suggest that Sonic is completely immune to criticism and any realistic ramifications to what he does when many games have made this out to be not so.

Edited by Verte

There's a difference between stating an opinion and outright blurting out things without backing it up.

Having firm self-confidence in the manner that Sonic does isn't Gary Stu'ish. And "Never having any doubt" isn't even correct when you consider that Sonic doubted himself right before he used Chaos Control for the first time. What backs it up is that what Sonic does is the right thing to do at the end of the day. And Sonic has, on plenty of occasions, shown great modesty that offet's that propensity for arrogance. Even when he is arrogant, he's frequently taken down a peg or two. Even Tails has done this despite them being as close as brothers.

Being a Gary Stu would suggest that Sonic is completely immune to criticism and any realistic ramifications to what he does when many games have made this out to be not so.

Well evidently, Roarz feels differently.