Awoo.

Unpopular Sonic opinions!

Alice Twilight

This is the "unpopular" opinion topic remember?

You still shouldn't be throwing around such accusatory terms all willy-nilly, though. When you call a character a "Mary Sue," or any of its variants, you're essentially saying that the character is the lousiest of lousy characters, and those who like said character are lousy for liking such a lousy character.

Edited by Komodin
  • Thumbs Up 1

You still shouldn't be throwing around such accusatory terms around all willy-nilly, though. When you call a character a "Mary Sue," or any of its variants, you're essentially saying that the characters is the lousiest of lousy characters, and those who like said character are lousy for liking such a lousy character.

Especially when you're call the main protaganist of the series a "Gary-Stu."

You still shouldn't be throwing around such accusatory terms all willy-nilly, though. When you call a character a "Mary Sue," or any of its variants, you're essentially saying that the character is the lousiest of lousy characters, and those who like said character are lousy for liking such a lousy character.

Considering the term "Mary Sue" is thrown around like it's going out of style, I'm pretty sure he just meant he just doesn't like Sonic at all

Especially when you're call the main protaganist of the series a "Gary-Stu."

People call Bella Swan from Twilight a Mary Sue, and are really going to deny that?

The Advance games are my Classic games

This. So very much.

I also think Sonic Wrecks is the only good sonic sprite comic on the Internet.

unpopular opinions? okay:

1. I hated Sonic Unleashed

2. I enjoyed both treasure hunting stages AND mech stages in the Adventures a lot, of course not as much as the sonic/shadow levels.

3. (not sure if this is really unpopular, but) I liked Sonic Heroes

not that unpopular of an opinion, but:

I think S3&K IS the best Sonic game, but not their last good one (I think SA2 was their last great one until Generations, but I think their last good pre-Generations/Colors game was Heroes).

Edit: thanks to the user who responded to me first! I cannot believe I forgot Colors... I was about to give up on the whole series until that came out thanks to what I call the Sonic dark age from 2005-2009

Edited by Mr.Snarf

2. I enjoyed both treasure hunting stages AND mech stages in the Adventures a lot, of course not as much as the sonic/shadow levels.

I think S3&K IS the best Sonic game, but not their last good one (I think SA2 was their last great one until Generations, but I think their last good pre-Generations game was Heroes).

I'm guessing you've never played Colors? Btw, welcome to the forums.

I think S3&K IS the best Sonic game, but not their last good one (I think SA2 was their last great one until Generations, but I think their last good pre-Generations game was Heroes).

>SA2

>great

Does not compute.

• Thumbs Up 1

Did you really just compare Sonic to Bella?

Edited by The Batman

I'm guessing you've never played Colors? Btw, welcome to the forums.

Oh, crap. I forgot about that one! I did think it was good too

>SA2

>great

Does not compute.

I think it is. Much better than unleashed imo.

I actually think the opposite. Could you say why you think SA2 is better than Unleashed?

Its down to opinion and Nostalgia. I'm pretty sure you know which one gets the nostalgia goggles.

Other than that, Unleashed and SA2 have the exact same problems as each other. Gameplay you want to play and being forced to play through stuff you don't want to play (your mileage may vary). Honestly, though I find that Unleashed is a better designed game overall, but which you enjoy playing, again depends on opinion and nostalgia.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think people are starting to forget that this is the 'unpopular opinion' thread. :|

Edited by sonfan1984

Its down to opinion and Nostalgia. I'm pretty sure you know which one gets the nostalgia goggles.

Other than that, Unleashed and SA2 have the exact same problems as each other. Gameplay you want to play and being forced to play through stuff you don't want to play (your mileage may vary). Honestly, though I find that Unleashed is a better designed game overall, but which you enjoy playing, again depends on opinion and nostalgia.

That is true. But I liked playing as the Werehog, I found the other gameplay styles in SA2 to be boring.

I actually think the opposite. Could you say why you think SA2 is better than Unleashed?

Ok, keep in mind that it has been several months since I played either of them, so some details are foggy to me

1. I actually enjoyed the treasure hunting and mech stages more than the Werehog

2. I didn't like the sheer length of the werehog levels (I swear, they seemed to always take 30+ minutes to complete), whereas the non-sonic levels of SA2 took roughly the same amount of time to complete as the sonic ones, though I will admit, I don't try for A-ranks, so I use hints on stages like Mad Space

3. I have never been a fan of Hub worlds, and Unleashed's felt VERY akward to control in them, it seemed to be a pain for me to turn and stop, whereas SA2 didn't have a hub world at all

4. I thought Unleashed to be too memorization heavy than 'skill' heavy. It seemed that unleashed was more like: memorize or die, whereas games like SA2 was more like: memorize or take a while

5. I prefer the Final Hazard over Perfect Dark Gia or whatever its name is

Note: these are still just my opinions

Having said all that, I LOVE the graphics of both, as I think both were great from their time, I think Unleashed was a step in the right direction (with the day stages being perfected in Generations and Colors), and the variety of the level themes.

I hate to play Unleashed, but I do love looking at it

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm not sure if some of these are "unpopular" but what the hell.

-The original Sonic CD is a bad game. Sonic CD 2011 is marginally better because you're allowed to make the gameplay actually function properly, however it does not make the level design any less shit or fix the bosses much to my displeasure. I'd put CD2011 in the decent/passable category.

-Sonic Unleashed HD is shit. Not 25% shit, not 50% shit, not 75% shit. 100% complete and utter shit. I absolutely fail to see what everyone saw or sees in the Daytime stages, the sloppy and unresponsive controls combined with the horrid and rage inducing level design, a good game does not make. I'd even say that the Werehog is better than the Daytime stages. At least during them I'm not getting my ass constantly beaten and ridiculed for playing the game the way it taught me to. Godddamn.

-I want Classic Sonic back. Not the gameplay, his design. I have grown rather fond of the little guy after seeing him in Generations. He's that special kind of cool that allows him to be badass and adorable looking at the same time, kind of like Kirby, and Kirby's fucking awesome. Note: I have absolutely nothing against Modern Sonic's current design, Classic Sonic's is just... better.

-I don't really like Super Sonic that much. I don't really see the appeal in him anymore, from a design perspective, gameplay, story, etc. He just kind of seems... there for the sake of being there nowadays.

Edited by Pinkamena
  • Thumbs Up 1

I honest to God would rather play through SA2's shooting stages and treasure hunting stages than play through a Werehog stage.

Why? The Eggman/Tails stages can take you about 3-5 minutes whereas the Werehog stges feel like they drag on forever. Also, the mech stages don't force you to be trapped in a small area every 30 seconds and beat up a bunch of bad guys to the world's most annoying song. The bad guys seem to take forever to kill even with a full powered Werehog and even if you skip some fights, the stages still feel like they drag on...

• Thumbs Up 4

The concept of the storybook series is utterly bizarre, but I like it. And the idea of giving Sonic a sword could have worked for a spin-off title if the gameplay wasn't on-rails and totally combat-focused.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's the same reason people bitched about sonic having a board when riders was revealed. "Why does sonic need a board when he can run fast!!!!"

It's the same reason people bitched about sonic having a board when riders was revealed. "Why does sonic need a board when he can run fast!!!!"

And driving a car in Sonic and SEGA All Stars Racing and Transformed..

Oh I loved the concept of the sword in Black Knight. I loved it. Unfortunately, I do not love the Secret Rings style of gameplay which they used for BK. Seriously, I don't mind a few auto events here and there, but for the love of God game, don't move Sonic forward the whole damn time. It made things very awkward to control even with the brake and backstep. Gameplay just didn't flow very well. It is a shame though. Because BK did look pretty good.

Though, speaking of Secret Rings, I did like the Party Mode. That was actually kind of fun. And Sonic's characterization is really good. So, it did have it's good points.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think Sonic R's soundtrack was one of the best in the entire series.

I think "Can you feel the sunshine?" should have been an unlockable track in Generations

• Thumbs Up 8