Awoo.

Unpopular Sonic opinions!

Alice Twilight

Not sure how unpopular this is, but I massively prefer Rush Adventure over the original Rush. Sure it's more boost to win, but I felt the levels were more well designed, less cheap death pits, and had great level gimmicks. I also felt it had a just as good soundtrack as the first one, more unique and varied level tropes, much better bosses, and even the sailing wasn't too bad.

Having the final level be a fast paced water level with lots of cannons and anchors and dolphins doin' flips and shit was really cool.

Here's a way to solve the Knuckles conundrum.

• Eggman is trying to take over the world. Or in some cases, giant monsters are trying to destroy it.
  • The Master Emerald - and Angel Island - are in the world, after all.
  • Ergo, protecting the world is indirectly also protecting the Master Emerald. Thus, Knuckles can go out and assist Sonic and friends with their typical heroics without having to be directly tied to the Master Emerald.

I think this solves the problem quite nicely.

• Thumbs Up 3

Probably because in spite of his moral turnaround, Shadow continues to act like a holier-than-thou douche.

Really? In what game and what cutscene?

Speaking of which, I hate Shadow's guts. He's one of the few Sonic characters I hate with a passion(along with Omega who has the personality of a brick and Amy who si so one-dimensional it isn't funny.). I hate those kinds of characters who crosses their arms, closes their eyes, and goes "Hmph, I didn't need your help" all the time and try to act all badass.

You must have been watching Sonic X (and I'm not sure about that) because not one instance was he like that in Heroes, in his own game he was only a douche if the player choose a douchey path, and in Sonic 06 he was the complete opposite of what you just said.

And this POS is probably why Knuckles doesn't get any attention any more.

"Envy is ignorance" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

So the fact that Shadow has been around despite both he AND Knuckles haven't been present in Unleashed and Colors, or better yet co-stared with each other in SatBK, it's some how all Shadow's fault that Knuckles hasn't been around? This is the very extreme of what I've been talking about when people scapegoating other characters out of sheer envy.

Here's a way to solve the Knuckles conundrum.

• Eggman is trying to take over the world. Or in some cases, giant monsters are trying to destroy it.
  • The Master Emerald - and Angel Island - are in the world, after all.
  • Ergo, protecting the world is indirectly also protecting the Master Emerald. Thus, Knuckles can go out and assist Sonic and friends with their typical heroics without having to be directly tied to the Master Emerald.

I think this solves the problem quite nicely.

But that makes another conundrum for other characters: can't they be involved for that reason as well? If not, then neither should Knuckles.

EDIT: Fuck, look what we just started for the millionth time...

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 2

One thing that I want to add is that Sonic Unleashed's Cutscenes were fantastic. Thé ones in Générations wère just awful to me. Don't get me wrong, when I am talking about thé cutscenes, i am not talking about thé way thé story is presented in thé curscenes. What made thé cutscenes in Unleashed so spécial to me is the amount of détail they put into sonic's expression. Seriously, this is one aspect thé cutscenes is sonic générations lack on, thé other being the way Sonic's design is portraiyed in thé cutscenes sometimes. When I look at thé cutscenes f.e. were Chip reveals his identity as Light Gaia to Sonic, Sonic shows a lot of expression on his face.

One thing that I want to add is that Sonic Unleashed's Cutscenes were fantastic. Thé ones in Générations wère just awful to me. Don't get me wrong, when I am talking about thé cutscenes, i am not talking about thé way thé story is presented in thé curscenes. What made thé cutscenes in Unleashed so spécial to me is the amount of détail they put into sonic's expression. Seriously, this is one aspect thé cutscenes is sonic générations lack on, thé other being the way Sonic's design is portraiyed in thé cutscenes sometimes. When I look at thé cutscenes f.e. were Chip reveals his identity as Light Gaia to Sonic, Sonic shows a lot of expression on his face.

I've always felt like Tails should just build an electric shield around the Master Emerald so that Knuckles can get out more.

I would honestly point to the entirety of Free Riders and Rivals 2 for starters. I've seen your epic rants on the dude, and I agree wholeheartedly. However, for the most part, he's still a douchebag.

I think that's good though. I'd rather him be a semi antagonistic douche than yet another one of Sonic's butt buddies like....just about everyone else.

Big is the ultimate life form, but that's not a unpopular opinion, it's fact. One of the unpopular opinion is Silver is underrated.

Big is the ultimate life form, but that's not a unpopular opinion, it's fact. One of the unpopular opinion is Silver is underrated.

Wrong. Hatsun The Pigeon is the ultimate lifeform. Get your facts straight. :V

I've always felt like Tails should just build an electric shield around the Master Emerald so that Knuckles can get out more.

This.

I've always wondered why Tails and Knuckles never got together and build some kind of security system to protect the Master Emerald.

I guess Knuckles is to proud of his ancestors legacy for that to happen.

Also:

- Sonic '06, is not the worst Sonic game ever. That honor goes to Sonic R, due its awful controls and horrible soundtrack. Though I admit "Super Sonic Racing" is catchy song.

- "Reach For The Stars", has got to be the worst Sonic themed song I've ever heard. Why Sega? Why?

- Sonic 4: Episode 1, is not anywhere near as bad people make it out to be.

Edited by Kamina

I would honestly point to the entirety of Free Riders and Rivals 2 for starters. I've seen your epic rants on the dude, and I agree wholeheartedly. However, for the most part, he's still a douchebag.

I think that's good though. I'd rather him be a semi antagonistic douche than yet another one of Sonic's butt buddies like....just about everyone else.

No fucking wonder...I haven't played either of those games yet. (Free Rider's especially because I've seen the cutscene and then completely forgot about the game's existence)

But a "holier-than-thou" douchebag tho, does he act like that? I think that's a level more insulting than a regular douchebag, and this goes without saying that even Sonic and Knuckles have had their douche moments.

This.

I've always wondered why Tails and Knuckles never got together and build some kind of security system to protect the Master Emerald.

I guess Knuckles is to proud of his ancestors legacy for that to happen.

Also:

- Sonic '06, is not the worst Sonic game ever. That honor goes to Sonic R, due its awful controls and horrible soundtrack. Though I admit "Super Sonic Racing" is catchy song.

- "Reach For The Stars", has got to be the worst Sonic themed song I've ever heard. Why Sega? Why?

- Sonic 4: Episode 1, is not anywhere near as bad people make it out to be.

Didn't that fail in Chronicles?

Edited by Burnt Ash

Didn't they try and fail to do that in Chronicles?

Really? I've never played Chronicles.

Didn't that fail in Chronicles?

If we start using spin-offs to reinforce our points we're gonna fail even harder: Knuckles was right beside the Master Emerald in Rivals 1 keeping his eye on it, but it still got stolen. How? Because Eggman (Nega) went to the future and captured it with a camera since the thing transcends time and space and is in all points of time at once...kinda like Solaris.

I will forever disagree with the idea that SatAM Sonic is a jerk/stupid/selfish/etc and only that because I feel that anyone who believes this... wasn't watching the same show as me at all. Yes, he can be a little full of himself. Yes, he is pretty much the epitome of 90's corniness, like a lot of "cool" heroes at the time. That doesn't stop him from caring about his friends. And no, I don't just mean Sally. Despite his character flaws, Sonic is shown to be a genuinely nice guy. When Bunnie saves him in Sonic and Sally, he doesn't bluff and say he coulda handled it himself; he thanks her for saving his life. When Antoine gets in trouble during Hooked on Sonics, he saves him despite the fact that they kinda have a rivalry going on, and he saves him again in Sonic Racer, forfeiting the race.

Never mind the fact that he totally gets upset when Ari gets dragged into the void, despite the fact that he'd been tricked by him earlier in the episode.

And no, he's not stupid, either. Sonic isn't exactly a genius in this show, but he is absolutely clever. Grabbing trash can lids to reflect SWATbot lasers, using the Breath of Mobius to deal with Robotnik in Secret Scrolls, the fact that he overcomes his fears in Sonic's Nightmare and busts his friends loose using his brain. There actually are quite a few times where he takes on the leadership role in the first season, rather than Sally. I think the problem is that, in Season 2, they dumbed down that sly, quick-thinking side of him so to elevate Sally's role. Even then, he has his moments, like pretending to surrender in order to get the roboticizer parts to fix Uncle Chuck.

So, yeah. Here I am again, defending SatAM Sonic, who is my favorite character in the show... also an unpopular opinion. Most SatAM fans I know don't care for him at all. :|b

Edited by Mega
  • Thumbs Up 2

If we start using spin-offs to reinforce our points we're gonna fail even harder: Knuckles was right beside the Master Emerald in Rivals 1 keeping his eye on it, but it still got stolen. How? Because Eggman (Nega) went to the future and captured it with a camera since the thing transcends time and space and is in all points of time at once...kinda like Solaris.

Wait...isn't Chronicles canon? It's tied to Battle, which I also thought was canon....

Wait...isn't Chronicles canon? It's tied to Battle, which I also thought was canon....

No, it's completely uncanon. Battle is more than likely uncanon too.

• Thumbs Up 1

I can't Sonic CD. I don't understand why everyone loves it so much, nor how they regard it as one of the best in the classic "saga". I hate the wonky level design, and how you never know where you're going. It's far too open, and yes, there is such thing as having levels that are TOO big.

None of this is helped by the fact that the actual level art is an eyesore. It's all extremely jumbled and busy. I'm all for stylistic visuals, but the sprites in Sonic CD are just unappealing.

And I'm also not a fan of the music. And I LOVE cheesy 90's music. But the soundtrack just had no charm.

And don't even get me started on the bosses...

• Thumbs Up 1

My 2 unpopular opinions for the day are:

1 - With all this Knuckles talking going on, it reminded me that I always felt Sonic Unleashed could've been more successful if it used Knuckles instead of the Werehog; instead of the curse of the hog, they could've cursed Sonic & Knuckles to merge one with the other and make Knuckles night stages, with more climbing and gliding and less arm stretching.

2 - I think there's too much merch out. And by that, I refer to the licensed crap at Spencer's that most of you seem to like. Some of it is great, but I am sick of the same stock art they used in every single thing. They need to either use different (which I admit, they finally have with S3 sprites in shot glasses) or just take a break.

1 - With all this Knuckles talking going on, it reminded me that I always felt Sonic Unleashed could've been more successful if it used Knuckles instead of the Werehog; instead of the curse of the hog, they could've cursed Sonic & Knuckles to merge one with the other and make Knuckles night stages, with more climbing and gliding and less arm stretching.

Except that wouldn't work because you would STILL have the repetitive fight sections that ended up boring a lot of people after Chun-nan. Not to mention that devalue the whole Duality theme Unleashed was going with.

2 - I think there's too much merch out. And by that, I refer to the licensed crap at Spencer's that most of you seem to like. Some of it is great, but I am sick of the same stock art they used in every single thing. They need to either use different (which I admit, they finally have with S3 sprites in shot glasses) or just take a break.

Why? He's still essentially going to be the werehog...so why not use the werehog?

I've always never understood this complaint.

Because some people think that reskinning the Werehog with a classic character would make the gameplay better somehow.

Because some people think that reskinning the Werehog with a classic character would make the gameplay better somehow.

Yeah...well they need to be brought back to reality and understand that things don't work that way.

This is the problem which Scar outlined in the "Should Sonic Team ignore us" topic, that fans don't realize they don't know a damn thing about game design.

• Thumbs Up 1

You must have been watching Sonic X (and I'm not sure about that) because not one instance was he like that in Heroes, in his own game he was only a douche if the player choose a douchey path, and in Sonic 06 he was the complete opposite of what you just said.

"Envy is ignorance" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

So the fact that Shadow has been around despite both he AND Knuckles haven't been present in Unleashed and Colors, or better yet co-stared with each other in SatBK, it's some how all Shadow's fault that Knuckles hasn't been around? This is the very extreme of what I've been talking about when people scapegoating other characters out of sheer envy.

But that makes another conundrum for other characters: can't they be involved for that reason as well? If not, then neither should Knuckles.

EDIT: Fuck, look what we just started for the millionth time...

You know those times were you type something and you later look at it thinking; "Did I really type that? Man I'm such an idiot"? That's what I'm feeling right now after looking at that rant. I need to get more sleep.

Yeah...well they need to be brought back to reality and understand that things don't work that way.

This is the problem which Scar outlined in the "Should Sonic Team ignore us" topic, that fans don't realize they don't know a damn thing about game design.

Clearly Sonic Team does.

And for the record, even with the idea of Knuckles in Unleashed, I still believe gameplay would have to be different.

And if you think it's good game design to give a Werehog stretchy arms to allow room for error when jumping...

Edited by tenchibr