Awoo.

Unpopular Sonic opinions!

Alice Twilight

This depends on your point of view. I would argue that the modern games aren't just light on story, but that they are empty. I've never expected or even desired a deep or complex narrative out of Sonic; just an engaging story to justify the action, along with some character interaction/conflict, which in my opinion does require it to show more than simply smashing robots. Even the original series itself was built on a little more than that. The Death Egg saga had a great build up through a huge variety of locations that told the story themselves.

You can't deny the environmental undertones, with the enslavement of animals and the general landscape itself. It helped to tell the story by having Sonic start out in a lush green paradise and gradually descend into science fiction territory. This influence is particularly evident in CD, which went further with the concept by suggesting that science and nature can coexist when creating a Good Future. The Adventures had some great moments themselves and their stories go a long way to explaining their fans attachment to them despite the obvious problems with execution. I'd say the narrative has proven to be pretty important.

I'm not advocating the return of poorly-executed stories that do have substance, but I don't understand why Sonic Team find it so difficult to create a relatively simple narrative (and without falling back on another Chaos clone) that is well-crafted and satisfying at the same time. It's a little frustrating. Perhaps they ought to try telling more of the story in the levels again (and push it further than the classics did, since this is 2012), gradually building up Eggman's influence on the environments (and elements of whatever else is going on a particular story) over the course of the game. I think Scar also talked about this in another thread.

That said, I agree that the story doesn't have to be a deep, complex experience to be engaging. However I don't think it's actually an unpopular opinion. I don't imagine that people really want the story to be complicated, but for there to be more to it than what have been given recently.

I will agree that the newer games are definitely empty when it comes to narrative, but like you said, the series shouldn't have to go out of its element in trying to incorporate outlandish things in an attempt to have "depth". It worked in the classics because the story was told through the environment, and what was going on and not heaps, and heaps of exposition.

Basically if Sonic Team want their stories to be worth a damn, then they need to step it up, and actually mean it, otherwise they should just leave it alone if it means ending up with another mess of a game like Shadow-06, and I on the other hand do not wish to go back to such dark times.

You know those times were you type something and you later look at it thinking; "Did I really type that? Man I'm such an idiot"? That's what I'm feeling right now after looking at that rant. I need to get more sleep.

If that's the case, I may have been a little too harsh myself. I'm gonna put some of that behind me, but you need to catch up on your sleep dude. :lol:

Clearly Sonic Team does.

And for the record, even with the idea of Knuckles in Unleashed, I still believe gameplay would have to be different.

And if you think it's good game design to give a Werehog stretchy arms to allow room for error when jumping...

I don't think you're understanding what I'm saying.

You don't just replace a character give it some different powers, and call it fixed especially when the level design was tailor made for a specific type of play. For Knuckles to be well implemented in the game, you'd have to change everything almost from the ground up for it to work.

I'm lukewarm on the Werehog, but you'd have to be a major fool to think that just putting Knuckles in the game would fix it. Stretchy arms or not, that's a very good way to save yourself from an error in jumping.

If that's the case, I may have been a little too harsh myself. I'm gonna put some of that behind me, but you need to catch up on your sleep dude. laugh.png

I don't think you're understanding what I'm saying.

You don't just replace a character give it some different powers, and call it fixed especially when the level design was tailor made for a specific type of play. For Knuckles to be well implemented in the game, you'd have to change everything almost from the ground up for it to work.

I'm lukewarm on the Werehog, but you'd have to be a major fool to think that just putting Knuckles in the game would fix it. Stretchy arms or not, that's a very good way to save yourself from an error in jumping.

And I totally agree with you. Just skinning Knuckles would not solve it. They would have to redo the story and levels appropriately. But you know what? I wish they would have.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow, what a read this topic was! I made it to page 20 before I ran out of likes so I'll get back to reading this topic again later. In the meantime I'll give my take on some unpopular opinions of Sonic:

Forgive me if I am repeating what other members have said; it's hard to remember what was mentioned in all 489 posts before me.

I like Sonic '06

Despite it's major flaws. It just boggles my mind when I see the game described as the worst video game ever made and don't have a single positive thing to say about it (like the music for example), bashing it 100% of the way. I also liked Princess Elise. I think majority of the hate she gets is unfair and is due to people's hatred of the video game she was in.

I like Sonic's friends.

I think they are worth something and I don't think that they need to go away. Each any every one of them has their charm and appeal; that's why you see fans for every single one of them. Saying that Sonic's friends need to either die off or disappear annoys me. Besides that just not being a nice thing to say it also isn't fair to those fans of the characters that they want to get rid of. Them getting the shaft lately in the games and being reduced to being "cheerleaders" in Sonic Generations really irritated me. And playing as Sonic only has gotten rather boring and redundant.

I enjoyed Sonic 4 Episode 1

With the massive yet legit ranting about the physics, they didn't bother me too much. I liked the level design and had fun playing the game. With Sonic 4 Episode 2 I haven't played it but from what I've seen with reviews and playthroughs I really don't feel all the flack and low scores it is getting is warranted.

I am going to buckle down and say that Jason Griffith is my favorite Sonic voice actor.

Despite his inconsistancies I really liked the tone and calm demeanor that he gave to Sonic's voice. This view is respected here, which I am thankful for but anywhere else I would get flammed for saying this, as it is defintely an unpopular opinion.

I like Silver.

He is a very interesting character who has a lot of potential and I really don't understand what the hate for him is all about (maybe it is the same thing with Elise and being part of Sonic '06 that gives him the bad rep)...the same with Shadow, I like him too.

Sonic Generations was a fun game, but in the end it left me disappointed.

The story, while it isn't the most important thing in a video game, was very shallow and left me scratching my head in wonder on more than one occasion. That and the game being so short left me wanting more, a lot more. I really felt like I didn't get my money's worth with the game.

I like Sonic's green eyes.

I think they complement Sonic very well. There will never be any bawling on my part about them.

I like Modern Sonic's gameplay compared to Classic Sonic's...A LOT more.

I also like Sonic's modern design more than this classic one (can I also say that Modern Sonic is cuter than Classic Sonic?!). While it was nice to see Classic Sonic in Sonic Generations I hope that was the last of him and I never want to see him again in a Sonic game in the future. Nostalgia is a powerful thing, but it's best at times to move on and move forward. The modern gameplay has much to offer...if only the Sonic Team would get their act together and execute it properly...the results would be amazing! smile.png

Edited by Sonikku_Kiah
  • Thumbs Up 8

I think the Sonic OVA has the best incarnation of Sonic. His attitude is perfect, and I really like his voice. Also as a result, 'STRANGE ISN'T IT?' is my favorite Sonic meme.

Edited by KatamariParadox
  • Thumbs Up 3

Sonic Shuffle is better than any party game ever made including all of the Mario Party games combined and it is a travesty that it has not be rereleased in some form or followed up with a sequel. Load times were bad but there is a patched .iso available (Google "sonic shuffle DCRES") that fixes them. I play it all the time with Sapphire.

• Thumbs Up 4

Wow, what a read this topic was! I made it to page 20 before I ran out of likes so I'll get back to reading this topic again later. In the meantime I'll give my take on some unpopular opinions of Sonic:

Forgive me if I am repeating what other members have said; it's hard to remember what was mentioned in all 489 posts before me.

I like Sonic '06

Despite it's major flaws. It just boggles my mind when I see the game described as the worst video game ever made and don't have a single positive thing to say about it (like the music for example), bashing it 100% of the way. I also liked Princess Elise. I think majority of the hate she gets is unfair and is due to people's hatred of the video game she was in.

I like Sonic's friends.

I think they are worth something and I don't think that they need to go away. Each any every one of them has their charm and appeal; that's why you see fans for every single one of them. Saying that Sonic's friends need to either die off or disappear annoys me. Besides that just not being a nice thing to say it also isn't fair to those fans of the characters that they want to get rid of. Them getting the shaft lately in the games and being reduced to being "cheerleaders" in Sonic Generations really irritated me. And playing as Sonic only has gotten rather boring and redunant.

I enjoyed Sonic 4 Episode 1

With the massive yet legit ranting about the physics, they didn't bother me too much. I liked the level design and had fun playing the game. With Sonic 4 Episode 2 I haven't played it but from what I've seen with reviews and playthroughs I really don't feel all the flack and low scores it is getting is warranted.

I am going to buckle down and say that Jason Griffith is my favorite Sonic voice actor.

Despite his inconsistancies I really liked the tone and calm demeanor that he gave to Sonic's voice. This view is respected here, which I am thankful for but anywhere else I would get flammed for saying this, as it is defintely an unpopular opinion.

I like Silver.

He is a very interesting character who has a lot of potential and I really don't understand what the hate for him is all about (maybe it is the same thing with Elise and being part of Sonic '06 that gives him the bad rep)...the same with Shadow, I like him too.

Sonic Generations was a fun game, but in the end it left me disappointed.

The story, while it isn't the most important thing in a video game, was very shallow and left me scratching my head in wonder on more than one occasion. That and the game being so short left me wanting more, a lot more.

I like Sonic's green eyes.

I think they complement Sonic very well. There will never be any bawling on my part about them.

I like Modern Sonic's gameplay compared to Classic Sonic's...A LOT more.

I also like Sonic's modern design more than this classic one (can I also say that Modern Sonic is cuter than Classic Sonic?!). While it was nice to see Classic Sonic in Sonic Generations I hope that was the last of him and I never want to see him again in a Sonic game in the future. Nostalgia is a powerful thing, but it's best at times to move on and move forward. The modern gameplay has much to offer...if only the Sonic Team would get their act together and execute it properly...the results would be amazing! smile.png

"green eyes"

People still cry themselves to sleep over this? Complaining about the green eyes isn't as bad as some people complaining about the grass being too green in Slyvania castle...

Oh crap how could I forget Sonic Shuffle! I think the game's awesome and is definitely on par with Mario Party 5 and 6 (though it's been a while since I played them all).

2 - I think there's too much merch out. And by that, I refer to the licensed crap at Spencer's that most of you seem to like. Some of it is great, but I am sick of the same stock art they used in every single thing. They need to either use different (which I admit, they finally have with S3 sprites in shot glasses) or just take a break.

There's definitely not too much merch, there's just too much generic crap with Sonic's face plastered on. I'm just as sick of the stock art crap as you are.

"green eyes"

People still cry themselves to sleep over this? Complaining about the green eyes isn't as bad as some people complaining about the grass being too green in Slyvania castle...

Or the people who complained that Sky Sanctuary wasn't yellow enough in Sonic Generations.

• Thumbs Up 3

My unpopular opinion of the day is:

- Speaking of green eyes, why is Knuckles red?

He should've been pink like in the classics! </sarcasm? You decide. biggrin.png>

Edited by tenchibr

ohmy.png Whoa, so many unpopular opinions here! Counting over 400 posts, probably most things are said by now... but I wanna jump the bandwagon and say something myself. Sorry guys. wink.png

I think Sonic's friends (Tails, Knuckles, Amy... okay, maybe I can do without her, too) need to be featured more in the plot of a game again. I want Sonic to actually interact with his friends, and I think it would be awesome to see Knuckles or the Chaotix do something else story-relevant but stand around and take up space while giving out semi-helpful comments on how to play a stage.

I'd love to play as someone else but Sonic again (Knuckles especially, it was always fun playing as him). I always thought the 'only Sonic playble' thing was dumb.

Having mentioned Amy, I think her running after Sonic screaming 'Marry meeeee!' has turned old and annoying. It would be cool to see her being a character on her own instead. She's got a huge, badass hammer for starters. tongue.png

I love 3D gameplay. Seriously, I find 3D more fun than 2D if I have the choice. I don't say 2D is bad. I just say that 3D is great and entirely underrated in Sonic games.

I don't mind the camera either. The few times it acted up and was confused in a game, I found it hilarious.

I think the Master Emerald is underused. What's it even doing after SA2?

I prefer the modern design of the characters and I think green eyes are cool. (I think too many people have said that by now...^^)

I want to know what happened to Metal Sonic after Heroes.

I think Secret Rings had the most badass ending cutscene of all Sonic games. And I like the party mode of that game, no matter how random and idiotic it is, it is incredibly fun to play with a bunch of friends.

I sometimes would like to have a chao garden again in a game.

Sonic Color's dialogue was awesome and not at all cheesy.

Talking of dialogue, I think it's great if the character(s) talk in-game. They used to do that a lot in Heroes and also other games had Sonic and Co talk about the stage, events, the game's plot or just something random while you played. In Generations, Sonic hardly says anything at all (not even in cutscenes...). I support talking characters. It makes them feel more like characters and less like hollow avatars to me.

And last but not least... I think Sonic Team should ignore what people say and make the games the way they want to.

• Thumbs Up 4

I don't mind the camera either. The few times it acted up and was confused in a game, I found it hilarious.
Unpopular opinion: People who excuse problems like this deserve the guillotine.
  • Thumbs Up 2

Am I such a terrible person that I actually found that funny?

Alot of these opinions contradict each other, makes it hard to take them all being unpopular serioursly.

This one is going to get a lot of people disagreeing but I love the black knight I find it to be really fun

This one is going to get a lot of people disagreeing but I love the black knight I find it to be really fun

And I love you. Black Knight is a great game.

I agree with the guy a few posts back, I want the talking in game feature back, but OF COURSE reviewers are gonna bash it because it's not quiet as a mouse Nintendo styled.

I agree with the guy a few posts back, I want the talking in game feature back, but OF COURSE reviewers are gonna bash it because it's not quiet as a mouse Nintendo styled.

Honestly, I'd rather the in-game talking stay out if only to balance out when he should and shouldn't talk to lessen players annoyance of it.

I'd make an exception for when they use hint bubbles, but we're tipping the scales out of balance asking more than that.

Here's another; I think the Modern City Escape remix was kind of half-baked. It sounds kind of lazy and empty, but it definitely had some good ideas in there... kind of like Sonic '06.

I didn't want to excuse it. I was saying I don't dislike the camera no matter how often people complain about it 'cause I don't have trouble with it and am not nickpicky enough to complain about a few occassions when it did funny stuff. Nothing is perfect, face it. *dodges around guillotine*

• Thumbs Up 1

Then stop fuckin' doing it.

Ones niceness level should always be around at least 5, and i yours is around -1 or even -2 right now.

• Thumbs Up 7

And so it was discovered that my opinion on cameras is very unpopular with Mr. Diogenes.