Awoo.

All-Stars Racing Transformed: The Track Roster Thread

Cortez

Generalisation... Odd way to describe lovingly designed tracks that attempt to pull on themes from well loved classic games :)

The reality is we can never ever just lift a level out of a game and just drop it into ours. That's the case even when it's a racing game, we have to build tracks that work with our handling model *and* have water and air sections.

If you're expecting that - you don't know how games are made :P

What we do try and do in all the Superstar/All-Star games is try and catch the magic of the original games and present them as if they were made with current day hardware. We sometimes describe this in interviews as 'make the tracks look how you remember them' as what you generally find is people remember games that are special to them very differently to how they actually look.

Case in point, I absolutely adored F-Zero on N64 - but my memory of it probably looks a lot more like the GameCube version :)

Oh did I mention a Nintendo game on a SEGA forum? That's my credibility shot for ever eh :P

---

S0L

---

• Thumbs Up 4

Generalisation... Odd way to describe lovingly designed tracks that attempt to pull on themes from well loved classic games smile.png

---

S0L

---

Aw come on Mr. Lycett, I didn't mean anything negative. I'm merely trying to express that the tracks are "generally" themed around the essential ideas behind the games this time around, instead of being specific locations from those games.

For example, the Golden Axe track in this game isn't a location that actually appeared in the Golden Axe games the way it is. It's just themed around the general idea of the game, what you'd expect to find in the game's world and such. I see what you're doing with the tracks and I just want to say I quite like it. You have my full support.

Edited by PsychoJosh
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oh did I mention a Nintendo game on a SEGA forum? That's my credibility shot for ever eh tongue.png

---

S0L

---

Yes, but we will be willing to cut you some slack seeing as how you managed to immediately redeem yourself by mentioning the N64 version being replaced in your heart/mind by the superior Sega built version.

We cool S0L.

ph34r.png

I have a question for you SOL? Whose idea was it to have the graffiti contest for the JSR track, yours or Sega? Also have you seen the entries and liked what you seen so far?

Edited by TheBlueWind

I just hope that this time around there is only one track per series. This would add diversity and replayabity to the game. Seriously, though, who wants to have 3 almost identical themed tracks from one game?

Edited by Unidus

I have a question for you SOL? Whose idea was it to have the graffiti contest for the JSR track, yours or Sega? Also have you seen the entries and liked what you seen so far?

Actually, I had to send the SUMO judgements on this Tuesday, so we should be hearing the winners any time now. Was SEGA's idea, though one we really liked. We were supposed to be taking the top five entries to put in game, but I might cheat and add a few more as we had some pretty good ones ;)

---

S0L

---

• Thumbs Up 1

Ah okay, thanks for the answer! (Dat feel when you might still have a chance at winning =D)

Also can't wait to see how the track looks like with the graffiti that was chosen.

Edited by TheBlueWind

I can't wait to see the winners, I actually put a lot of effort into this competition (unlike my crappy JSR efforts :/) so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'm sure the winners will be amazing anyway though, I hope we get to see the entry Sumo really liked! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ooh, interesting. I preferred both of the other Samba De Amigo tracks, but Sunshine Tour is cool.

Sunshine Tour? Great! My friend's face when we first played it was hilarious when we did this track! It's like a drug trip!

Sunshine Tour is the third returning track according to a new interview:

http://www.push-star...ducer-joe-neat/

YES!!!! Sunshine Tour is the BEST Samba track in the last game. I love it.

Sunshine Tour? Great! My friend's face when we first played it was hilarious when we did this track! It's like a drug trip!

It's what Mexico looks like after you drink the water.

Sunshine Tour was the one where you go through those acid trip tunnels, right?

I'm so glad that Sunshine Tour is returning!biggrin.png I thought it was the best Samba track in ASR. smile.png

Sunshine Tour was the one where you go through those acid trip tunnels, right?

Edited by C.J

I'm really hoping the fourth returning track is Sandy Drifts, Lava Lair or Deadly Route. Those were some of my faves before. Then again, I really liked Lost Palace and Ocean Ruin but... Seaside Hill...

• Thumbs Up 2

Yes, I loved the Samba tracks in the last game, and out of the 3 from the previous game Sunshine Tour really captures the wackiness of the series.

So the last track will probably come from the Super Monkey Ball, Billy Hatcher, or House of the Dead tracks (seeing as the other 3 franchises already have a representative). I'm personally hoping for Monkey Target just for shits and giggles (also it was probably my favorite track from the last game even with all the rage factored in), though I wouldn't mind seeing Rampart Road or Deadly Route taking its spot

I'm really hoping the fourth returning track is Sandy Drifts, Lava Lair or Deadly Route. Those were some of my faves before. Then again, I really liked Lost Palace and Ocean Ruin but... Seaside Hill...

Deadly Route? Sewer Scrapes is where its at simply for the Tower boss.

I'm hoping the four returning tracks are from four franchises. No doubling up (two Monkey Ball) and no Billy Hatcher. Ideally I'd want: JSRF, Monkey Ball, Samba de Amigo and House of the Dead. Not only was Deadly Route awesome, but House of the Dead as a franchise deserves a slot far more than Billy or a second Monkey Ball.

I'm hoping the four returning tracks are from four franchises. No doubling up (two Monkey Ball) and no Billy Hatcher. Ideally I'd want: JSRF, Monkey Ball, Samba de Amigo and House of the Dead. Not only was Deadly Route awesome, but House of the Dead as a franchise deserves a slot far more than Billy or a second Monkey Ball.

We don't have a Monkey Ball returning track.

We don't have a Monkey Ball returning track.

I think he means cause we already have a new Monkey Ball track, but that doesn't make too much sense because we already have Shibuya Downtown from the original and the all new Graffiti City.

Yes, I loved the Samba tracks in the last game, and out of the 3 from the previous game Sunshine Tour really captures the wackiness of the series.

So the last track will probably come from the Super Monkey Ball, Billy Hatcher, or House of the Dead tracks (seeing as the other 3 franchises already have a representative). I'm personally hoping for Monkey Target just for shits and giggles (also it was probably my favorite track from the last game even with all the rage factored in), though I wouldn't mind seeing Rampart Road or Deadly Route taking its spot

Anything but the old SMB tracks... which for the life of me I still can't drive properly on even now.

I'd love to see Sewer Scrapes again. The snowy billy hatcher track was fun too.

• Thumbs Up 1