Awoo.

All-Stars Racing Transformed: The Racer Roster Thread

Barry the Nomad

You have no idea as to how much content this game has... so why are you even trying to compare it to anything?

I was referring to the first one.

Though on the second point, I wonder about online. It really annoyed me in the original that someone else might beat you to picking your favourite character online and you'd have to be someone else. I can understand totally that SEGA wouldn't want multi-coloured Sonics, but there's no reason that the vehicles couldn't just change colour, right? It would stop things being so confusing if the vehicles stood out because they were completely different colours.

Didn't SOL answer this before on the SEGA Forums saying that Japan has some sort of taboo concerning multiple players as the same character?

I know what I'm saying sounds crazy, but I'm 100% sure someone else has heard this answer/discussion before.

Didn't SOL answer this before on the SEGA Forums saying that Japan has some sort of taboo concerning multiple players as the same character?

I know what I'm saying sounds crazy, but I'm 100% sure someone else has heard this answer/discussion before.

But then if that's the case what about stuff like Super smash bros? That series allows multiple players as the same character. Edited by Hedgehogs Boost

But then if that's the case what about stuff like Super smash bros? That series allows multiple players as the same character.

Nintendo made that game, not Sega.

And before you all go 'what about Sonic' I bet that was some kind of exception which they got but that Sega of Japan was not exactly overtly pleased with.

Edit: at a guess, I'd say it was to do with character appearances. AAUK has mentioned something similar previously with regards to all manner of things. And lets not forget the good old days of Sega telling Fleetway "do not show Sonic's teeth and do not colour him in any other colour but this type of blue." If you have multiple of the same character, you need some way to tell them apart from each other, the easiest way to do that is a colour change. However do that and then you have characters in the game which are not the 'right' colour, yet still flying under the said characters name.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well he said Japan, not Sega OF japan.tongue.png So it seemed like he was implying all Japanese companies.

Couldn't they just Change the car color however?

Edited by Hedgehogs Boost

Couldn't they just Change the car color however?

Nope. Because the car is part of the character and the image they want to sell. Don't forget the car is a piece of merch in many different ways.

At least I'm quite sure this is the reason, just going off from what AAUK used to say about getting permission from SOJ on almost every single thing he wanted to do and how there were odd rules about how you can/can't display Sonic and other characters.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nope. Because the car is part of the character and the image they want to sell. Don't forget the car is a piece of merch in many different ways.

At least I'm quite sure this is the reason, just going off from what AAUK used to say about getting permission from SOJ on almost every single thing he wanted to do and how there were odd rules about how you can/can't display Sonic and other characters.

That is right on the money. These vehicles are crafted with the same attention to detail that the characters themselves are. They aren't just a vehicle which the character drives. They are an extension of themselves. The colour is as much a part of that as the way it looks.

• Thumbs Up 1

What he said. It takes new designers joining the project months to get into their heads, but you can't have more than one unique version of each character on the track at once - and we can't change the colour of the cars. It's pretty simple, but believe me, everyone thinks it as a rule that can change - but it's written in stone tongue.png

Also LOL at Wario with 'Not enough content'. Seriously? Every character has three vehicles effectively. So that's 29 X 3 = 87. That's before the All-Stars, or the transforming tracks, or the interactive music etc etc etc. Come now...

---

S0L

---

Edited by S0L
  • Thumbs Up 6

Well sue me, but I think that's a really daft rule that's set it place, be it by yourselves or SEGA. A different colour scheme to make multiplayer less confusing and fairer on all the individuals. The other option is to have the player name displayed in a bubble over all racers, which would actually be helpful because it's something I noticed was annoyingly missing in the original. But still... I cant get get head around that colour rule, be it from your design perspective or SEGA being very strict with what can be done to their properties (I remember this being the reason the Sonic Merchandise store took so long to open). It just seems too OOT.

Edited by Blue Blood

It's not our rule smile.png

And it can't be changed. Like there is only one Mickey Mouse, there is only one Sonic the Hedgehog tongue.png

---

S0L

---

Not in Smash Bros. Brawl- there's four Sonic with slightly different shades of blue and glove/sock colour. The sheer blasphemy of it all! :P

I'm not having a dig at you guys here at all, just in case it seems that way. This is me completely not understanding SEGA's way of thinking.

• Thumbs Up 6

So... people can't differentiate the character they are playing as from others with the same character in a racing game, despite the camera ALWAYS being directly behind the character they are controlling? Am I missing something here?

• Thumbs Up 1

So... people can't differentiate the character they are playing as from others with the same character in a racing game, despite the camera ALWAYS being directly behind the character they are controlling? Am I missing something here?

Yes you are missing something. It's not that it's hard to keep track of the character you're racing as, but your opponents instead. Imaging you're playing as AiAi, and then three other people are Sonic. It's useful to be able to tell them apart.

And also the original blocked out the ability to have multiple people using the same racer, even in online mode.

Edited by Blue Blood

I never liked games that allowed for multiples of the same character. Part of the fun in selecting a character is getting to your favorite as quickly as you can. Imagine if in the first ASR, every single person was Shadow? tongue.png

Edited by Barry the Nomad
  • Thumbs Up 4

I never liked games that allowed for multiples of the same character. Part of the fun in selecting a character is getting to your favorite as quickly as you can. Imagine if in the first ASR, every single person was Shadow? tongue.png

Yeah, everyone would stand a fair chance. :P

Shadow wasn't even the best in the game. Sonic was. Purposefully, I would assume. Besides, that didn't stop me from wrecking shit with Knuckles and Ulala all the time.

I am scary behind the wheel of my favorite characters. Scary period. I hope you EU cats enjoy your four day head start 'cause after that I'm coming for all of you.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 4

I'll admit, I can clean house pretty consistently when playing as Bonanza Bros and Ryo in his Forklift. I think it's because they both handle corners real well, which allow me to charge and boost real quick.

Bleh, I rocked as BD Joe. Still somewhat dissapointed they made his cab a one seater, but I'm still maining him.

i mained Sonic and Bonanza Bros mainly, Knuckles and Amy where too slow on the long runs.

I agree with this. I like players being forced to pick someone else when the one is allready picked by another. Otherwise you'll experience games with multiple same characters. Other than that, SSBB has only 4 characters at the same time, whereas SASR is going to have 8/10, so that's also gonna be slightly more difficult. And besides, all the more reason and incentive to try out another character right? Edited by Djawed
  • Thumbs Up 4

Imaging you're playing as AiAi, and then three other people are Sonic. It's useful to be able to tell them apart.

Is that really a problem? If I'm not mistaken people weren't allowed to duplicate characters anyway. Unless I missed something I think it is safe enough bet that the sequel will continue that trend...

I brought up Brawl on the SEGA Forum months back, but it isn't as clear cut as you're saying.

Just because there were exceptions, it doesn't mean they can follow that same route. Maybe there was some sort of rule set for Fighting games? Who knows?

No point if arguing really. If you guys think they're making this up, then I don't know what to tell you. They aren't, and they've been told to follow guidelines.

I like being able to pick same characters, but its true that when other player chooses the same, you do feel "less special" and it feels less varied. But since the vehicles are so special and unique in this game and the fact that there's enough awesome characters to choose from, It doesnt bother me at all :) Im ok with this. I know this is off-topic, but we should make a thread with all character vehicles (3 forms) sort of like a "Catch em all" kind of thing...I would love to see a compilation of em :3 ... no? Im the only one? baww...

• Thumbs Up 1

Needs more Blaze.

Gosh can we cut this out? It's annoying to see little snippets at people like this. So he might've been a Blaze fanboy ALRIGHT, get over it and actually add to the discussion instead of behaving like a snarky jerk.

I like being able to pick same characters, but its true that when other player chooses the same, you do feel "less special" and it feels less varied.

LOL totally, but when someone picks Olimar against mine'Brawl that just makes me want to own them harder to prove who's the ultimate! I dunno, maybe there should be a limit though, you never know which characters might end up being broken D:

EDIT: ...CIRCUS

Edited by Circus Afro