Awoo.

All-Stars Racing Transformed: The Racer Roster Thread

Barry the Nomad

Speaking of Billy, didn't we think he was in since a preview talked about Rampart Road? What with Roullette Road actually being the last Retro track, is there anything hinting at his inclusion?

Billy was only playable in the second Sonic Riders (and there are actually three of them),

My mistake. still he was playable in Zero Gravity

(and free riders is a wash because it bucked the trend and contained 0 extra Sega IP characters - we can ignore that game)

also just because he made it into this one and the one before, it doesn't guarantee a return from him. So really this would only be his 4th time crossing over with other games (5th if you count his little cameo in Riders 1). The chu chus do have their fair share of cameo appearances, seeing as they have made cameos in games like Sonic Riders, Billy Hatcher, Sonic Battle, Sonic Riders (I believe Zero Gravity too), Sega Superstars, Sega Superstars Tennis, and possibly a few others that I can't name off the top of my head. So you can't say that they don't get a nice amount of exposure.

But the Chus were never playable in the vast majority of those games. Billy is batting HOF numbers in his playable count. There is a discrepancy there.

Billy is far to common an occurrence in comparison to his status.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

You guys need to remember that characters are picked not just by how many games they had or if they have a cult following. Sumo have to pick characters to appeal to a wide variety of people - including people who aren't really fans of Sega.

Billy Hatcher appeals to children, much like Amy appeals to little girls. Besides, he fits in the game like a glove.

I don't even really like Billy, but I can see why he is probably in.

Speaking of Billy, didn't we think he was in since a preview talked about Rampart Road? What with Roullette Road actually being the last Retro track, is there anything hinting at his inclusion?

Blizzard Castle was confirmed to be a location here: http://www.digitalsp...d-licences.html

[For peaceful scenery] we wanted forest, so we went with Shinobi. For Billy Hatcher, we picked an ice level. For a lava level, we had Golden Axe.

It's not a retro track, since all of those are confirmed, but a brand new take on a returning location (ala Seaside Hill).

Edited by Pawn

Just preordered my copy of the game. Hopefully these next two months will fly by pretty quickly!

Since there's only seven unknown characters left in the roster, I figured I'd take a crack at predicting who they were. My guesses are the "final 7" will look something like this...

1. Billy Hatcher - the fact that he's getting a new track and there was that one bit about squishing ppl with an egg leads me to believe he's in.

2. Alex Kidd - there's a bunch of reasons why he MUST be in this game, no question.

3. Akira Yuki - I remember one of the earliest previews stating he was in the game (along with Aiai before he was revealed). The fact that the article mentioned him by himself and there are no partner characters in the game makes me think this might be legit.

4. (new supporting character) - due to S0L's claim a little while ago. I'd personally like Aika from Skies of Arcadia when taking into account all the franchises we have right now (Jacky Bryant is also a possibility if Akira's in this).

5. (new character or supporting character) - this could be anybody. I think Ristar still has a pretty big chance of making it, but another character I'd personally like to see is Amite from Puyo Puyo.

6. ("ultimate fanservice character") - yeah, um, no clue on this one. The predictions that this is one character driving different Sega vehicles/characters (like Segata driving the Hornet, Opa Opa, etc.) have probably been the most likely to be true.

7. (console-exclusive guest character) - I think this could either be a Sony-exclusive character (like Ratchet & Clank, which would be my most wanted guest in this situation) or a Nintendo-exclusive character (who could be anybody). I remember S0L saying something like the character was not console exclusive but was platform exclusive (or something like that - I may have it backwards). XP

Any thoughts? smile.png

Edited by Jinbe

Just preordered my copy of the game. Hopefully these next two months will fly by pretty quickly!

Since there's only seven unknown characters left in the roster, I figured I'd take a crack at predicting who they were. My guesses are the "final 7" will look something like this...

1. Billy Hatcher - the fact that he's getting a new track and there was that one bit about squishing ppl with an egg leads me to believe he's in.

2. Alex Kidd - there's a bunch of reasons why he MUST be in this game, no question.

3. Akira Yuki - I remember one of the earliest previews stating he was in the game (along with Aiai before he was revealed). The fact that the article mentioned him by himself and there are no partner characters in the game makes me think this might be legit.

4. (new supporting character) - due to S0L's claim a little while ago. I'd personally like Aika from Skies of Arcadia when taking into account all the franchises we have right now (Jacky Bryant is also a possibility if Akira's in this).

5. (new character or supporting character) - this could be anybody. I think Ristar still has a pretty big chance of making it, but another character I'd personally like to see is Amite from Puyo Puyo.

6. ("ultimate fanservice character") - yeah, um, no clue on this one. The predictions that this is one character driving different Sega vehicles/characters (like Segata driving the Hornet, Opa Opa, etc.) have probably been the most likely to be true.

7. (console-exclusive guest character) - I think this could either be a Sony-exclusive character (like Ratchet & Clank, which would be my most wanted guest in this situation) or a Nintendo-exclusive character (who could be anybody). I remember S0L saying something like the character was not console exclusive but was platform exclusive (or something like that - I may have it backwards). XP

Any thoughts? smile.png

Remove Akira Yuki and out in Ryo Hazuki. Remove console-exclusive guest character and put in guest character. There you go. That's more likely imo.

Any thoughts? smile.png

Sure why not?

From the sound of the article, it looks more like they picked Billy's IP less to represent his game and more to get the ice theme covered. They're also redoing the roster to get something for everyone(even non-fans), and to be honest, I don't see anything playable Billy could bring to the table...

Agreed.

...Iffy. I once used that same article to confirm him way back in May and S0L shot it down.

The new supporting character is a good guess, but Aika? From the articles I read, it sounded like getting Vyse himself as a bit of a small victory. I'm expecting someone like MeeMee.

Ristar has that whole "he a black ball from behind" bit hindering him. Puyo Puyo... Donno, but it seems more like they would put some World Tour Challenges based on it.

Someone a few pages back guess it would be Ryo riding a transforming arcade cabinet, and I like that idea.

At this point I'm guessing one of two things:

1)This guys is more obscure than Danica and Ralph, and won't play a big part in promotions.

2)It's a SEGA racer counted as a guest for some technical purpose. Banjo was axed cause they had enough guests.

Ristar has that whole "he a black ball from behind" bit hindering him. Puyo Puyo... Donno, but it seems more like they would put some World Tour Challenges based on it.

I still say that's an awful excuse. In ASR the characters jumped around and turned towards the camera.

Mind you, Ristar's "spikes" go over the black ball so you'd see them, too, so I don't think it'd be different than someone like Sonic where you just see his blue spikes.

Have Billy killed your pet when you was young or something? I really, really don't get all this hate/prejudice.

Prejudice? He's a cartoon kid in a chicken costume. Get over yourself and stop acting like I'm committing hate crimes against victims of real prejudice.

You know, it would be much easier to understand where you're coming from with your disinterest for Billy if you actually explained why you do. Just sayin'.

I don't need to explain anything. He sucks. That's all that needs to be said.

I don't need to explain anything. He sucks. That's all that needs to be said.

Well, mon, if you won't actually explain your opinion, then I really see no reason to care for it...

• Thumbs Up 6

Why does everyone hate Billy Hatcher? I've been reading the past few pages and it seems you guys dislike Billy. Billy has every right to be in as he's a SEGA character and his debut game was an okay game. Not to mention Billy's kinda awesome.

I agree with you Ming Ming. Billy Hatcher happens to be one of the most important characters in Sega history. Matter of fact, I kind of like that little guy. He's have a right of being with the other Sega characters. If what they saying about having a new track for the sequel is true, then Billy might have a chance. And if Billy makes it, then that's leaves me only character that I'm hoping for to go, and that will be a Virtua Fighter rep. Even if Jacky/Akira get replaced by anyone else, I will not complain nor having regrets because the dream that I having since I was a child of having the Sega characters to competing in a race becoming a reality.

I agree with you Ming Ming. Billy Hatcher happens to be one of the most important characters in Sega history.

Billy had one game. One game released in 2003 that didn't do well enough to warrant a sequel. He's not a big character.

• Thumbs Up 2

Billy Hatcher has a cool All Stars move: a giant egg avalanche that gets bigger and bigger causing incredible devastation, the IP in general has bright cartoony visuals that fit with the graphical style of ASRT and his inclusion means some/lots of ice levels which is a win for me. I must admit having not played Billy Hatcher's game I don't care for the character much but I enjoyed his stages in ASR so I'm happy with this news. By the way Ryo Hazuki better be in this game too, any news?

Billy is a charming enough character that appeals to a specific demographic and fits the theme of the games. I'm not sure anybody is contesting that.

But this...?

I agree with you Ming Ming. Billy Hatcher happens to be one of the most important characters in Sega history.

C'mon? Really? Perfect example of an overstating of his worth. Unless your using an "everybody is important" metric there is no way he can be rated that highly.

lets keep the little egg-man in perspective a bit.

• Thumbs Up 5

Billy is very low tier when it comes to SEGA characters. He had one game (ports don't count as second titles, not even a ".5") and the game itself was mediocre at best. What did it get at the time of release? 7's? I've played it a few years ago and thought it was decent, but nowhere near great like Sonic Team's other non-Sonic titles (Chu Chu Rocket, Samba, NiGHTS, even Burning Rangers) and found it to be largely forgettable. It's not as though he was a one-off IP that was awesome (points to Skies of Arcadia) or is a character with a small franchise but a huge fanbase (points to NiGHTS and Shenmue). He doesn't even have the nostalgia factor like Bonanza Bros.

If I had to give the Billy Hatcher franchise reasons why it is included, I'd say because it is very easy for Sumo to get the approval on Sonic Team IPs and because it is the only SEGA franchise that Nintendo fans can claim as their own.

• Thumbs Up 2

Historically, Billy was chosen on account of the character design alone, it appeals to kids and he's bright, colourful and happy.

Historically...

---

S0L

---

That's all fine. Its understandable that he fits the theme of these kinds of games and kids would like him.

It certainly isn't his star power after all.

*squinty eyes* S0L's tring to tell us something with that Historically talk.

Historically... as in that was the reason in the past but not now? Deconfirming Billy as a racer?

75961.jpg

"Good lord! What could this mean, Holmes?"

"It means... the game is afoot!"

• Thumbs Up 5

Historically?

Bam, Total War stage/character in the game.

Joke aside, i'm sorry to have made such a mess with this argument, and (maybe i said this before, i dunno) i could be fine if Billy is not in. I was just surprised of all the hate, but it seems everyone have reason about it.

Billy had one game. One game released in 2003 that didn't do well enough to warrant a sequel. He's not a big character.

That may be true that his game didn't sell well in 2003, however Billy's appearance does done favor for the kids. Didn't he? Anyway, I like him and his character. In fact, when I played ASR, I having a blast playing as that kid. His All-Star move helps him big time when Billy is in trouble.

C'mon? Really? Perfect example of an overstating of his worth. Unless your using an "everybody is important" metric there is no way he can be rated that highly.

Sorry if I did that would offend you. It just that I'm agreeing with Mina Mina Shana of Billy Hatcher have the rights to be in this upcoming game.

Edited by Shego13

The reason why Billy Hatcher's debut game didn't do well because it was simply exclusive on the GameCube. If it was on the PS2, it would have been a different story. I would have gotten the game myself if I had a GameCube.

I personally don't like Billy Hatcher.

Nahh, you're just scared of his giant egg.

• Thumbs Up 4

Sorry if I did that would offend you. It just that I'm agreeing with Mina Mina Shana of Billy Hatcher have the rights to be in this upcoming game.

No offense taken friend. I'm not trying to give you any grief for arguing for Billy's rosters spot.

I just wasn't gonna let a wild claim like that slide. Wanting Billy in the game is one thing. Claiming him amongst the top tier of important Sega characters is something else entirely. There's no need to exaggerate like that. ^^

Edited by The Arcane Arceus

I'm fairly neutral on Billy. On one hand, I wouldn't mind his inclusion as I really enjoyed the game, but on the other hand, I wouldn't be upset if he didn't make it.

Every character I want in the game has little to no chance of ever appearing, so I'm just making the best of what there is. No character reveal could disappoint me.

Still looks like a radical game.

Edited by wOrm