Awoo.

PlayStation 4 Discussion

Detective Shadzter

The thing is, those 4k Resolution TVs are coming out soon and as I pointed out, they're running at around $25,000. Who's going to be the main TV seller for these right now? Sony.

Who made Blu-Ray? Sony.

Who made the PS3 use Blu-Ray HD? Sony.

So that means the PS4 will run 4k Resolution which means there's some high-tech in there which means really high price.

The thing is, those 4k Resolution TVs are coming out soon and as I pointed out, they're running at around $25,000. Who's going to be the main TV seller for these right now? Sony.

Who made Blu-Ray? Sony.

So that means the PS4 will run 4k Resolution which means there's some high-tech in there which means really high price.

So, you're expecting games to run at such resolutions natively? At anything more than slideshow speed? Yeah, good luck with that!

As things are now, 4K resolutions are NOT happening. Hell, native 1080p may not be available for many games, still.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

Who made Blu-Ray? Sony.

No it won't. The highest of the highend PCs can't pull 4k for many games, and the only way they've even been able to show 4k at Sony events is by taking 4 PS3s and running them all together. 4k is a niche of a niche as is, and won't even be used as a broadcast standard for television providers.

Maybe (probably) it will support 4k video playback, but as far as games go, no way.

Edited by Tornado

I find it hard to believe a video signal could cost as much as a blu-ray drive did in 2006.

Not to mention 4k uses HDMI, which has been a standard for years now.

Also, I thought the PS3's ridiculous cost was due to the chip that allowed PS2 games?...

Also what Tornado said, didn't even think about the hardware needing to support it. Durr.

Edited by Underaged Hot Anime Girl
  • Thumbs Up 1

Report: PlayStation 4 will release in 2013
Wall Street Journal cites 'people familiar with the matter'
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/388967/report-playstation-4-will-release-in-2013/

Former Test Drive devs 'working on PS4 racer'
CV lists "confidential game" for next-gen PlayStation
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/388978/former-test-drive-devs-working-on-ps4-racer/

Opinion: Sony seizes the moment
Gazumping Xbox by announcing first shows Sony has learnt hard lessons, writes Rob Crossley
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/388987/ps4-press-conference-reveal-shows-sony-has-seized-the-moment/

Edge sources: PS4 to miss Xmas release in Europe
International delay due to 'complexities involved in European distribution'
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/389050/edge-sources-ps4-to-miss-xmas-release-in-europe/

So I guess Sony was talking out of their ass when they said they would wait for Microsoft to announce their next console first. Not that it bothers me because, this teasing crap is finally coming to an end.

I for one cannot really care much for this hypothetical PS4....but that may only be because I only got my PS3 in mid-2010, and even then I don't think I've 100% even half the games I own for it. Compared to my Wii, which I didn't even play as much after I got my PS3. Most of the Wii games I have are party games (thus there isn't really much to unlock or is worth unlocking), and I've (mostly) 100% all of my non-party Wii games. Regardless, I think I may have to wait for quite a while before I can join the 8th gen of console gaming.

Hey guys, it appears the CVG opinion article I linked to is more than just an opinion piece.

On February 20 a new PlayStation will be revealed (our sources have confirmed this morning, having tipped us off a few weeks back).

While recent alleged leaks of PS4 specs had triggered the inevitable debate on whether it's going to outperform the next Xbox, a Sony insider told me that this isn't going to be the focus at the company.

The war won't be won by producing the most powerful system, the person said. Sony is focusing attentions on fighting the Xbox business head-on with a well organised and timely console launch. No long waits, no executive hubris, no historic calamities.

Of course, this morning an industry insider offered a poignant reminder: "Victory will go not to those who make the most noise, but those who make the most impact".

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/388987/ps4-press-conference-reveal-shows-sony-has-seized-the-moment/

It would be nice to see Sony finally learning something. They should have noticed their most successful console, PS2, wasn't about being the biggest and loudest system of the 3.

The lack of Backwards Compatibly for the PS3 is a stupid move as the used games rumour. I hope these aren't true. I really hope not.sleep.png

Adding BW compatibility on PS4 will make it more expensive. So I rather not have BW. Besides, I have a PS3 already.

No backwards compatibility would be teh suck, but it'd be something I could deal with if it made for a better, more economical system overall.

• Thumbs Up 1

Backwards compatability is so bloody over-rated.

How many times do people really really really use it? Oh sure, theres going to be someone who says 'I use it all the time.' But the mass majority?

• Thumbs Up 3

You know, I've always realized that Sony's hands were tied with this. They can't make the PS4 based off of CELL because it was a dead end technologically, and they can't have BC if they don't have some sort of hardware commonality with the PS3. It's basically the PS2-PS3 jump all over again, and there's really not much that Sony can do and keep the system cheap and (more importantly) easy to develop for.

That being said:

Backwards compatability is so bloody over-rated.

How many times do people really really really use it? Oh sure, theres going to be someone who says 'I use it all the time.' But the mass majority?

It's obviously pretty damn important for people to play their old games if publishers are making such a killing rereleasing those old games at a cost. Including Sony rereleasing PSX and PS2 games on PSN. Or Sony making the PS Vita so it can play PSP games. Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 5

That being said:It's obviously pretty damn important for people to play their old games if publishers are making such a killing rereleasing those old games at a cost. Including Sony rereleasing PSX and PS2 games on PSN.

Most of the time I think it's a combination of the novety/convenience and people who havn't played it before.

How many of us have re-downloaded a game onto a new system even though we have a working system and console that can play it perfectly well? But had it no been re-released, you wouldn't have played the old version?

So, apparently, Gearbox is making a new FPS IP for the Wii U and PS4.

Why am I posting this? The rumour includes this little tidbit:

- Supposedly their PS4 devkits recently had a meltdown and they're awaiting new ones.

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=195375

If this is true, then ouch

Also, as stupid as the no BC thing is, I forgot about the PS3 using a Cell Processor so that's probably why there's no BC.

Edited by PSI Freeze

If the PS4 is octa-core, then theoretically instructions mapped to the CELL's various SPE's could be mapped to the PS4's logical cores. But I don't know shit about programming, so don't quote me.

A single core CPU with seven sub-processing units might as well be night and day compared to a processor that actually has eight cores. You're talking (roughly) about virtualizing the PS3 hardware by assigning each processing unit to a core, and the undertaking would be enormous and ever more intensive than regular emulation (though it would probably have better performance than emulation).

For comparison, the PS2 hardware is much closer in design to the PSX than the CELL is to a modern multi core CPU, and the PS2 still gives people who make emulators no end of grief even though PSX emulation was so simple that it could be done on the Dreamcast.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

A single core CPU with seven sub-processing units might as well be night and day compared to a processor that actually has eight cores. You're talking (roughly) about virtualizing the PS3 hardware by assigning each processing unit to a core, and the undertaking would be enormous and ever more intensive than regular emulation.

For comparison, the PS2 hardware is much closer in design to the PSX than the CELL is to a modern multi core CPU, and the PS2 still gives people who make emulators no end of grief even though PSX emulation was so simple that it could be done on the Dreamcast.

I kind of figured it was a little more complicated that I thought it to be initially.

Let us hope they find a way to emulate the PS3, short of actually shoving the CELL in there. Fuck, even that would probably be fairly viable, cause at this point the CELL is probably cheap as chips. As far as I'm aware, even when the PS3 was new, the bulk of the cost was the Blu-Ray player (dedicated BD players were nudging $1000, compared to the $600 PS3) and unless they're going for a new format (which I doubt given the expansion possibilities with multi-layer BD's) having a CELL in there shouldn't cause the price to jack up so much.

Edited by Scar

But I rather have 60FPS on most/all games than shoving a cell processor there. Otherwise, what will be the difference between PS3 and PS4 other than the name?

Most of the time I think it's a combination of the novety/convenience and people who havn't played it before.

I agree wholeheartedly. As much as I love my Ps2 games, I rarely play them anymore, as much as I would love to slap them in my ps3 and play them via that, my god damn ps2 is right there XD