Awoo.

PlayStation 4 Discussion

Detective Shadzter

Personally, my favourite controllers are, in order, Wii U, 360, Gamecube and N64. I loathe the Dualshock's ergonomics and stick positioning.

Weren't those widely considered to be one of the worst designed controllers ever?

• Thumbs Up 2

Weren't those widely considered to be one of the worst designed controllers ever?

Yes, but I personally don't understand why. Aside from the lack of a second stick, it was very functional, especially if you understand that the Z and L buttons are basically interchangeable (L for when you're using the D-pad, Z for when you're using the analog stick, it's one or the other, not both).

I actually love the N64 controller. The only real problems I have with it is the awful dpad and the analogue stick.

Pretty much this.

Yes, but I personally don't understand why. Aside from the lack of a second stick, it was very functional, especially if you understand that the Z and L buttons are basically interchangeable (L for when you're using the D-pad, Z for when you're using the analog stick, it's one or the other, not both).

Because you never played anything that was multiplatform, I'm guessing.

• Thumbs Up 1

The main reason people hate it is because the grips are WAY too close together. Go watch the CLassic Game Room review to see what I mean.

I've always had small hands, so it was never a problem for me.

Why do people think it has a touch screen? It's one of those trackpad laptop things. It's also clickable so there's your start/select buttons (assuming they didn't get moved elsewhere).

Looks like it has a Vita dpad, officially making it the best controller ever for anything 2D - from games to menu navigation. It's fantastic, SEGA would've been proud. Glad they seem to be keeping a flat surface for the buttons, that's what works best for action games.

Sticks are still convex but they added a lip for butterfingers and it got fatter and rounder for the people that complain about the ergonomics. Wish I could check the triggers, that's pretty much the last concern I have.

Basically, it appears to be the industry standard controller with most of its legacy concerns addressed. A pad made to play videogames. I can approve.

Let's see how the final version looks.

The prototype looks like one of those awkward PS3 MadKatz controllers you find at Blockbuster on clearance.

I mean, you would have found on clearance if BlockBuster was still a thing anymore. ; _ ;

The built in speaker sounds cool; I love that on my Wii controller. The built-in motion controls sound like a rebranding of SixAxis to be honest. I seriously doubt it'll be used that often. The touch pad on the other hand has me conflicted. I like that it is small and doesn't disrupt the design of the Dualshock, but at the same time I'm wondering what usefulness it'll have beyond start menu functions. It seems too small for things like inventory management in games.

Wait, who thought the N64 was a comfortable controller? That thing was awkward as all Hell. The Gamecube controller on the other hand... well let's just say I love that thing more than I should.

Wait, who thought the N64 was a comfortable controller? That thing was awkward as all Hell. The Gamecube controller on the other hand... well let's just say I love that thing more than I should.

Most will agree that the Gamecube pad had a really comfy design, unfortunately held back by a bunch of bad decisions in regards to its functionality (i.e: C-stick wasn't a good second analog substitute, octagon sockets that limit 360º rotation, face buttons designed around a "main" one, that shitty Z trigger).

You could tell they made it with one or two specific (first party) games in mind so it comes off limited in quite a few aspects.

Still comfy as fuck tho.

Prototype looks like a MadCatz controller. It's ugly as sin. Touch pad still feels completely pointless.

D-pad is nice though and I'm glad to see it follows in Vita's footsteps. That thing is second only to Ninty's Classic Controller/Wii U D-Pad in my eyes.

• Thumbs Up 5

My dad got a PS2 around launch day. And my dad wasn't really in to gaming. It was just that the PS2 was THE thing to have back then. Ah, the memories.

I think that the PS2 is the only console I ever got on Day 1... well bought on Day 1, went away for Christmas, played it for thousands of hours before it eventually broke down about a month after Kingdom Hearts 2 came out... ahh memories.

I wonder how many people bought the PS2 as a DVD player first and Game system second.

Wasn't my primary reason for getting one, but it was certainly a huge reason for wanting one over the other systems.

• Thumbs Up 3

I USED to like the DualShock, then I stopped being 10 and grew my colossal hands. I really wish the controller wasn't so squished together because, otherwise the placement of the buttons, triggers, etc. is good. Here I was getting excited that they realized not everyone has baby hands.

Edited by Wreck-It Ralph

I'm willing to bet my hands are way bigger than yours and I never had a single issue, they're so big they come with a couple glyphs for stabbing.

And that's not the only thing I have in ample size if you know what I mean~

i have hard times finding shoes that fit

• Thumbs Up 1

Wasn't my primary reason for getting one, but it was certainly a huge reason for wanting one over the other systems.

Not saying it was the case for anyone here, I'm just talking in general.

My hands are the size of bunches of bananas. The DualShock is not arranged for Donkey Kong hands. It's a garbage controller, I don't care what anyone says; that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. It's the only controller of current consoles where my hands will actually ache after extended use. The 360 controller, the Classic Controller/Controller Pro, and the Game Pad are perfect.

Edited by Wreck-It Ralph
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think the problem with the N64 controller is that many knew how to actually hold it. I always held out it like a Dual Shock controller and wondered how the hell you were supposed to reach that back button.

Later in my life I found out I held it the wrong way. yay

It continues

The PS2... man, I love that console. I remember getting my first one back in Christmas 2001 along with Jak & Daxter. Man, I played that game for hours every day, to the point that my school grades started to suffer a bit for it.

I had that console well maintained until 2008; imagine my sheer sorrow when it finally died on me. sad.png

My PS2 wasn't Day 1, but it was one of the first ones of the second shipment. Held on to it up until a few months ago (which... I didn't need to, since Glorious Master Race CECHA PS3, but I just never really considered getting rid of it until then).

Despite having converted to the House of Nintendo, I will never forget the good times I had with Sony's PS1 and PS2.

The PS2 is probably the console I held onto the longest (right under my Super Nintendo), and I still own and play it to this day. I own a shit load of games that have kept me entertained throughout the years. The PS2 had a fantastic library of games such as Jak and Daxter, Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank, Final Fantasy, Crash Bandicoot, Bloody Roar, all good times to be had. I wanna say that this year marks the 10 year anniversary of how long ive had had the console, and they've been good times when all's said and done.

So yeah, thank you for the memories PS2, although I won't follow your successors, ill always still appreciate you,

The Dualshock is by far the most ergonomic and visually appealing controller out of all of them already, and this new prototype seems like an even greater improvement (assuming, of course, that the build isn't as high quality as the final one will be). Looking forward to seeing the final version.

• Thumbs Up 4

So I watched the Evolution PS2 video agin and saw something I missed before... watched it again to make sure I wasn't going mad... and I wasn't it was there...

SSMB... Can you explain this?

mmCy1tJ.gif

I must have missed this particular PS2 advert.

• Thumbs Up 2