Awoo.

PlayStation 4 Discussion

Detective Shadzter

qFE6rnt.jpg

Cell in a box peripheral.

Plug it in, PS3 support get. The PS4 is beefy enough to replicate the rest of the components it doesn't have an improved version of already.

360 is considerably simpler architecture, so it's possible that Microsoft could do the same thing for the 360 that they did for the original Xbox with game-specific emulator profiles.

Have a handful of games that sort of work, others that are listed as working but have system crashes at level 2 and the rest that will never run because they cut support for that feature? :3

Cell in a box peripheral.

Plug it in, PS3 support get. The PS4 is beefy enough to replicate the rest of the components it doesn't have an improved version of already.

Who remembers Sony patenting that PS2-compatibility peripheral for the PS3 that everyone was hyping up

Who remembers Sony patenting that PS2-compatibility peripheral for the PS3 that everyone was hyping up

I do, hence the theory. That patent came in much later in the game and BC is only truly relevant as a selling point early in the lifecycle. Nobody really cared for it anymore so they stuck with working on the software emulator.

With a new console launch (whose design might make this hypothetical add-on more feasible) there's a higher chance to pull it off.

I don't funnily enough....

Though, I guess I'm one of the few who's 60GB PhatStation has still survived so BC was never really an issue.

I never even remotely considered buying a PS3 that wasn't one of the first ones, honestly.

One idea that I just saw floated was that Sony will use their purchase of Gaikai to offer PS3 games through a streaming service to do BC for those, and software BC for other titles. Which actually makes a lot of sense, I think. They'd have at the least the entire first party PS3 catalog open to them then.

What if the next Xbox doesn't play Xbox 360 games?

Wouldn't be as big an issue for me personally, since I already have a 360 which in turn plays a majority of the original Xbox games I own (Gunvalkyrie and Otogi are the only non compatible ones that I can see myself wanting to replay). In the case of PS3 and PS4, if PS4 isn't BC with PS3 games then I'm definitely getting a PS3 before a PS4. As for the next Xbox, like I said it would only be a matter of one console versus two since I already own the 360. Still, my fingers are crossed that the next Xbox plays 360 titles. It's just not as much of a dealbreaker for me as the Playstation is.

Ideally I'd love it if my shelf contained:

Original Xbox for Xbox games & next Xbox for 360 and next Xbox games (assuming next Xbox is BC) 

or (assuming next Xbox isn't BC) 360 for 360 and a majority of the Xbox games I own & next Xbox for next Xbox games 

-Either way it would be two consoles for three libraries of games

As for Playstation, it would get a little tricky: PS2 Slim for PS2 and PS1 games & PS3 for PS3 games & PS4 for PS4 games

or PS2 Slim for PS2 and PS1 games & PS4 for PS3 and PS4 games 

-If PS4 doesn't play PS3 games, it'll be three consoles for four libraries of games 

Goddamn are consoles a juggling act! I'll give Wii U credit, being able to play Wii games on it is a space saver.

The PS4 will most definately support the PSX, hopefully will support the PS2. The big question really is whether or not it will support the PS3.

Edited by Scar

You're aware that PS1 support is on every Playstation device, right? The emulator got in fact some nice upgrades when they put it on Vita.

Goddamn are consoles a juggling act! I'll give Wii U credit, being able to play Wii games on it is a space saver.

how do you feel about dem GC titles

You're aware that PS1 support is on every Playstation device, right? The emulator got in fact some nice upgrades when they put it on Vita.

Yeah, I know about Sony's PS1 support. But if one wants a Playstation home console setup that supports 1-3, and they didn't jump for the PS3 that plays 1 & 2 titles, a PS2 is pretty much a necessity. 

I'm cool with lack of GC on Wii U. I don't own a Wii U, but if I did I'd probably just get a GC and stick the Wii in the back room. Nintendo has been pretty consistant with dropping BC of the previous gen in favor of the next ever since the Wii. RIght now it is a bit messy, because GC is the odd one out. In the handheld world, though, I think a GBA SP + a 3DS XL is a pretty awesome Nintendo combo, since it allows for everything from Game Boy to 3DS. I guess once the console after the Wii U releases, a Wii + that console will be the ultimate combination :P 

On the whole PS3 games playing on the PS4...

What of digital games? A lot of PS3 games are now on the PSN (though some of the prices are totally ridiculous), odds are you'd need to pay something to get them on the PS4, but the whole library of games they've got on the PSN right now, is there really no way they can be played on the next system?

They probably have been working on some form of emulation. They know their hardware better than anyone else does, so they should be able to produce a proper PS2 (and maybe a PS3) emulator where the modding community weren't able to. For the PS3 games, they could very well have  put a Cell in the system. Let it feed off the main GPU (which should easily be able to handle whatever the RSX could) and RAM, rather than giving it its own set. It could remain off or idle most of the time, until the system recognises a PS3 game, at which point it tells the Cell to take over the proceedings (in the same way the original 60GB PS3 used the Emotion Engine to play PS2 games).

They probably have been working on some form of emulation. They know their hardware better than anyone else does, so they should be able to produce a proper PS2 (and maybe a PS3) emulator where the modding community weren't able to. For the PS3 games, they could very well have  put a Cell in the system. Let it feed off the main GPU (which should easily be able to handle whatever the RSX could) and RAM, rather than giving it its own set. It could remain off or idle most of the time, until the system recognises a PS3 game, at which point it tells the Cell to take over the proceedings (in the same way the original 60GB PS3 used the Emotion Engine to play PS2 games).

But how cost efficient would adding a CELL emulator be? Would it be too expensive?

The same deal happened with the newer PS3s. Wasn't it removed to save costs?

^ Same can be said for the PS2 Classics. mellow.png

Those already work via general software emulation + some game-specific changes, which can simply be ported to PS4.

And enhanced so it can run plain (unchanged) PS2 discs/dumps as well.

I still own my GC as it can play Gameboy games on the big screen with my Gameboy Player, so I have no problem with that.

• Thumbs Up 1

But how cost efficient would adding a CELL emulator be? Would it be too expensive?

The same deal happened with the newer PS3s. Wasn't it removed to save costs?

Nope.

The first PS3 model had the Emotion Engine, that is to say all of the PS2's internal hardware inside AS WELL AS the PS3's CELL hardware. They merely got rid of the Emotion Engine. They kept software emulation for a while, but eventually nerfed its ability to read disks. However, downloaded PS2 classics still work via emulation.

Nope.

The first PS3 model had the Emotion Engine, that is to say all of the PS2's internal hardware inside AS WELL AS the PS3's CELL hardware. They merely got rid of the Emotion Engine. They kept software emulation for a while, but eventually nerfed its ability to read disks. However, downloaded PS2 classics still work via emulation.

That's not quite how it worked. The first 2 PS3 models (CECHA and CECHB, the US/Japan 60GB and 20GB models) had the PS2 GPU and CPU for full hardware BC, albeit run through the PS3 frontend so it could access all of the PS3 hardware if need be (rather than something like the Wii, DS or PS2, which were built off of the hardware of previous systems so just ran the hardware in GC/GBA/PSX mode meaning none of the newer hardware features were utilized).

For the first hardware revision (CECHC, the European 60GB model; and CECHE, the US/Japan 80GB model), Sony removed the Emotion Engine and let it go to partial hardware hardware emulation (and just emulated the CPU in software). After that, starting with the 2nd revision (CECHH, the 40GB model) Sony removed the GPU and with it the ability to emulate PS2 games (because the PS2's GPU was obnoxious in how the VRAM worked, much like the N64's was). What the PS2 classics are is how Dobkeratops pointed out above, being game-specific emulators with the minimum of changes required to the games as possible get them to work as they did on the PS2.

Edited by Tornado

http://gematsu.com/2013/02/nikkei-ps4-to-utilize-gaikai-have-expanded-social-features

Another PlayStation 4 report is in from Nikkei.

According to the Japanese outlet, the network function of PlayStation 4 will be expanded, including a new social feature where you can exchange opinions among your friends while playing games.

The system is said to utilize Gaikai cloud technology, which Sony purchased for $380 million in the summer of last year.

Echoing previous reports, the outlet claims the Sony developed “Cell” chip loaded onto the PlayStation 3 will not be included in PlayStation 4, and that it’ll arrive by the holidays.

PlayStation 4 is expected to be revealed during PlayStation Meeting 2013 in New York City on February 20. Its controller will supposedly have a touch pad.

So, presumably 400 dollars if true, 450 possibly. That's not too bad, so I guess they either learned to not be so ridiculous with cramming crap into it, or they're betting on software sales for a LOOOONNNNGGG time.

• Thumbs Up 1

I can see it now, Gaikai will used for playing released PS3 PSN games on PS4. Could explain why digital releases on PSN are more expensive than physical all this time.

Edited by Ming Ming Shana