Awoo.

PlayStation 4 Discussion

Detective Shadzter

Sony PS4. Only 699 US Dollars!

Seriously now. I'm interested in finally seeing Sony talking about their freakin' next system. This whole lead up to their next system has been going on for too long.

P.S. This will be the funniest thing ever if instead of the PS4 they announce Wonderbook 2.

Um...

How well did Wonderbook do anyway? I remember people whining about it at E3, but that is just it. How did it do in the market?

I'm not sold unless it has Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidge Racer.

Kinda excited, I agree a earlier comment... how long this generation has been dragging on kind of made me uninterested... finally some sort of announcement or tease has gotten me interested again

>2013

>Still making 599 US dollars jokes

Really guys?

Anyways, I'm pretty excited for some news on this, I llike Sony hardware.

• Thumbs Up 4

This is Sony, they have proven time and time again that they don't know how to hold themselves back, resulting in a product that is so prohibitively expensive that they take years to actually start selling at a good clip.

>2013

Really guys?

ps-vita.jpg

I think people are still are predicting a high priced powerful console.

I wasn't aware the Vita was high priced? The Wifi model is the same price the Nintendo 3DS was at first, and is currently selling at a loss (Like the Wii U!). And no one cares about the 3G model (kind of like the Wii U Basic!). The problem with the Vita is the software library.

PS3 launch is seriously the only thing Sony-related I can think of that's relevant to that joke.

Guess we'll see though!

Edited by Underaged Hot Anime Girl
  • Thumbs Up 2

Being priced less than it's worth has nothing to do with it, it's still too expensive to be selling well (and it isn't). Not to mention the overpriced propriety memory cards. So yeah, the Vita is prohibitively expensive, as was the PSP when it first released. For what people want to PS4 to be, it will be too.

Edited by Wreck-It Ralph

LOL 599 US DOLLARS THAT'S SO WITTY GUYS

A couple months ago developer rumors were throwing around $400 for both of them this time around.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 6

God damn it man, I just bought a PS3 last month....

Gotta stop buying consoles so late into their lifetimes.

Kinda excited for this though, I mean Wii-U's cool and all, but I wanna see what Sony's high-end powered next gen console's gonna be like.

>2013

Really guys?

It's just the fans attacking Sony's weakpoint for massive damage.

I pray they stick to something not too high up there. $400 or something like that would be fair I suppose. So what if they didn't learn their lesson with the PS3 or Vita, third time's a charm right?

• Thumbs Up 2

I wasn't aware the Vita was high priced? The Wifi model is the same price the Nintendo 3DS was at first, and is currently selling at a loss (Like the Wii U!). And no one cares about the 3G model (kind of like the Wii U Basic!). The problem with the Vita is the software library.

PS3 launch is seriously the only thing Sony-related I can think of that's relevant to that joke.

Guess we'll see though!

High price and value are two different things. For the $250 you spend on a Vita, you will get all your value. For the $499/$599 you spend on a launch PS3, you probably got your value. A Blu-Ray drive was very expensive when it first came out and the PS3 overall was powerful. It even had support for PS2 and PS1 games.

The 3DS was over-priced when it launched and Nintendo paid for it. It didn't really sell as well and people lost a bit of faith in Nintendo.

Overall, Sony has been known for making powerful hardware and pricing them at high prices, even at a loss. Not many people like paying $250 for a console (3DS and Vita) and people saw how the PS3 launched at $599. Sony has also been known for over pricing their memory cards.

http://www.amazon.com/32GB-PlayStation-Vita-Memory-Card/dp/B006JKASCK

$100 for a memory card? What the hell?

$599 was one of the biggest blunders in history. It took down the reputation of Sony and it still hurts them today. The fact that people still bring it up today already shows how people view Sony. PS4 will go in two ways.

Powerful hardware

EXPENSIVE

Laid back hardware, not as big jump

Mid-Price/Cheaper

I just want my games to have a 1080p resolution with most/all games capable of showing 60FPS. That's all, and that is worthy of an upgrade.

I mean, have you seen Generations and Transformed in 60FPS?

Edited by Merry Ming Shana

Well, part of my point is, if people are expecting the sort of leap in power we saw with PS2 -> PS3, they are going to be sorely disappointed. And PC gamers are going to be be annoyed because multiplatform games will be severely held back by console hardware. Nothing short of Unlimited Detail being a success is going to satisfy everyone.

• Thumbs Up 1

There's still tangible ways to improve graphics besides raw polygons/textures. Improved lighting setups, animations and physics engines will go a long, long way. You could literally take current gen assets, spice those up and better the IQ and it'd be a significant, noticeable jump. It makes it easier for the developers too, actually - less constraints, less to cut back, less to optimize.

And you know the moment ND, Guerrilla or Santa Monica show their stuff people are going to be mindblown. And then they'll get even better for their second games.

Besides, the PS2->PS3 leap wasn't that decisive.

YSsOy.gif

Half the PCPS360 library still can't touch dem goddamn SH3 character models. Good looking games will continue to blur generational lines.

New game: Take a shot every time Masaru brings up Unlimited Detail when someone mentions the PS360 successors, as if it is going to be embraced by all major developers immediately after it is released as a functional technology rather than several years from now (if at all this generation).

And PC gamers are going to be be annoyed because multiplatform games will be severely held back by console hardware.

Which is also something no one will care about either. Just like no one cared about PC gamers whining for the past few years. Or the few years before the 360 came out. Or any other point in time since the Amiga went out of production that PC gamers have complained about being marginalized, because they can't go two minutes without making it known how much worse everyone else is for making them not as happy as they feel they should be.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 5

There's still tangible ways to improve graphics besides raw polygons/textures. Improved lighting setups, animations and physics engines will go a long, long way. You could literally take current gen assets, spice those up and better the IQ and it'd be a significant, noticeable jump. It makes it easier for the developers too, actually - less constraints, less to cut back, less to optimize.

And you know the moment ND, Guerrilla or Santa Monica show their stuff people are going to be mindblown. And then they'll get even better for their second games.

Besides, the PS2->PS3 leap wasn't that decisive.

YSsOy.gif

Half the PCPS360 library still can't touch dem goddamn SH3 character models. Good looking games will continue to blur generational lines.

Well, I can't exactly disagree so much with the first bit, but the jump in overall quality isn't gonna be that great.

And I consider Half-Life 2's character models (along with any character model Valve makes) to be some of the most natural-looking character models I've seen in gaming yet, bar none. Might have something to do with the fact that half the games this gen use this strange 'wet skin' look for character textures, but there's other factors in there as well.

Take a shot every time Masaru brings up Unlimited Detail when someone mentions the PS360 successors, as if it is going to be embraced by all major developers immediately after it is released as a functional technology rather than several years from now (if at all this generation). You'll be shitfaced by the 3rd post.

To be perfectly honest, I was considering hanging a lampshade on that one. Yes, I know I mention it often when graphics come up, but hardly without reason. The future is uncertain, obviously, but I think, if UD does work as advertised, a lot of developers will embrace it pretty damn quickly, if only for the sheer ridiculous rendering efficiency to the point where it there is very little workload on the GPU, regardless of the level of detail within view at any one time - the demo we saw was running in software, for God's sake. Plus, Euclideon are making the effort to make sure the transition is as painless as possible. Anything can happen, of course, but I am cautiously optimistic.

Hopefully the SDK will be released within a few months time. Granted, Euclideon never gave a solid estimate, but considering their site updated not long ago and they've been preparing their Geoverse software as well for the geospacial industry, it seems it might be a decent estimate. Who knows.

Which is also something no one will care about either. Just like no one cared about PC gamers whining for the past few years. Or the few years before the 360 came out. Or any other point in time where since the Amiga went out of production that PC gamers have complained about being marginalized, because they can't go two minutes without making it known how much worse everyone else is for making them not as happy as they feel they should be.

Well, it's only been more recently (within the last two generations) when PCs became less of a focus for developers, and even then, you had titles like Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 coming out, which only the original XBox could handle to an extent. When was the last time a major PC title pushed the boundaries? That was Crysis, and its sequels have been somewhat held back by their nature as multiplatform games. Nowadays, the PC is more often than not an afterthought compared to consoles.

Being a PC gamer first and foremost (with Nintendo consoles being second), I do have an interest in seeing how the next MS/Sony platforms are going to affect what comes onto the PC.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just want my games to have a 1080p resolution with most/all games capable of showing 60FPS. That's all, and that is worthy of an upgrade.

Of course, there is the fact that Carmack and a deal of techies already said that this is something that is very unlikely to happen with next generation consoles. Edited by Carbo
  • Thumbs Up 1

Of course, there is the fact that Carmack and a deal of techies already said that this is something that is very unlikable to happen with next consoles.

"Unlikable"....?

Also, the Vita isn't that expensive at $250, especially considering the fact that the 3DS was priced the same at launch. It just lacks the content to justify that purchase right now.

Edited by Scar

So it seems not many people are expecting much new tech when in regards to a new PS console, amIrite?

It's definitely going to be new tech, quite a bit of it.

But it all really depends on what developers make of it and just how much it will cost to develop for it. The first party franchises that are guaranteed money will press that tech but considering how many studios shut down just this gen is it safe to assume that this particular jump, which won't be nearly as big as the last, will yield a plethora of games that will push it to limits that were impossible to establish this gen?

1080p on 60fps won't be a standard. Some of the biggest games this gen don't even run 720p native with a framerate that high, but sub-native resolutions. 1080p being targeted is generally likely but it's really up in the air where all of this will go.

Personally it's just one of the reasons as to why I'm rather cynical as to how this coming generation will spell out.

The irritating thing is, I sincerely doubt studios or publishers will learn from experience and pump all the more money into new game projects. Unless someone out there gets some sense, rampant overspending with game budgets will kill even more game studios. This gen alone killed dozens.