Awoo.

PlayStation 4 Discussion

Detective Shadzter

Well done Sony for selling the most consoles on a launch in the UK. With North America, the rest of Europe and Austrailia/New Zealand as well must be at least 2 million sold already and that isn't counting pre-orders yet to fill as well as the Japanese/Korean/Asian launch.

Bit of a shame that Super Mario 3D World wasn't as high selling however many people were forced to buy bundles that had Knack in so they could play on their console plus charts are funny things so it could go either way. Besides I'll imagine that some people would have already traded in Knack especially if they didn't like it.

....so what is the PS3? Chopped liver?

The PS3 didn't do too bad in a competitive environment but it took a while. At first due to the success of the PS2 got over Sony's head, it was expensive and focused more on the Blu-ray than it did for the games. The 360 and the Wii were both cheaper plus the delays didn't help in Europe (where the 360 was a year and a half old at that point) and not much games that also didn't help that it was harder to program than the other two. At one point people were buying PS3s just to play Blu-rays cheaper than a Blu-ray player (Blu-ray did beat its competitor but didn't beat DVD). It took until 2010 with a relaunch, a slight rebrand [the Spiderman style PlayStation 3 side packaging was changed to the PS3 at the top], Uncharted 2/Gran Turismo 5 and a Silm model before things started to take off. Compared to the other two PS consoles (and the PS4 for the looks of things), it wasn't as successful however the PS3 is still more successful than some consoles that have been released including the Mega Drive, SNES, NES (excluding various Famiclones around the world), Master System, Gamecube, Xbox, N64, Saturn. 80 million+ consoles aren't bad for a 3rd placer (2nd placer in Japan).

In some cases, the PS3 makes the PS2 a bit redundant due to the many HD collections and ports. When removing some of the best selling PS2 titles (some that were also on the Gamecube, PC and/or the Xbox like Sonic Heroes, GTA: San Andreas, Max Payne that might be better than the PS2 version), there isn't as many exclusives. Looking at this list here: the only big exclusives that haven't been ported are Gran Turismo 3 A-spec, GT Concept, GT4, Final Fantasy XII (for now), The Getaway and its sequel, the original Midnight Club, the first Guitar Hero, Everybody's Golf 3 & 4, EyeToy: Play, SOCOM, Ace Combat 4 & 5, Jak X (for now) and some of the early sports games (mostly non-EA) mainly due to licensing. Fantavision (launch title) is another title that is an exclusive, Sega Superstars is one and I'm sure the two Dark Cloud games are. Plus I'm sure the PS2 version of Metal Gear Solid 3 has some extras that aren't in the remakes. Even then the PS2 had plenty of niche Japanese made games, compliations to many arcade games since the console was powerful enough to run them via emulation, arcade ports and RPGs that are enough to keep hold and love the games.

Every PlayStation so far has ended up pretty fucking great. Let's be honest.

We'll see how the PlayStation 4 fares.

From my experience with it, I'd say that it's awesome on arrival.

• Thumbs Up 4

It will have that pace for a while, for starters it's now rare to find a PS4 in NA and EU now because of low stock (and when more stock arrives people will buy), we still have the Asian launch to happen later this December and the Japan launch this coming February.

Not to mention people like me are waiting for Second Son to come out before buying.

• Thumbs Up 1

Does Watch_Dogs have PS4 exclusive content or One exclusive content? Ubisoft makes me think PS4 exclusive. So people will be waiting for that too. Also what was the consolation for people that preordered before the delay?

It will have that pace for a while, for starters it's now rare to find a PS4 in NA and EU now because of low stock (and when more stock arrives people will buy), we still have the Asian launch to happen later this December and the Japan launch this coming February.

Not to mention people like me are waiting for Second Son to come out before buying.

The thing is that nearly everything was low in stock after launch. It's too early to say that the trend will continue. I'm not saying that it won't, but I don't really expect any new console to start selling a lot, consistently, until it's been out for a year at least.

Didn't that happen with the PS3 too? Well actually, some dudes also hijacked a truck of like ten thousand Wii Us once too.

Does Watch_Dogs have PS4 exclusive content or One exclusive content? Ubisoft makes me think PS4 exclusive. So people will be waiting for that too. Also what was the consolation for people that preordered before the delay?

The exclusive content is PS4 exclusive. As for a consolation, I have no idea, in fact Ubisoft haven't shown anything new about the game since its delay.

It has a wood grain finish.

bazimngccaalgea.jpglaeyj41.jpg

A manly mans console for manly men.

https://twitter.com/_PhantomFighter/status/407092637611487232/photo/1

I will make one of them mine eventually, should the circumstances demand it. Major props to Sony, company responsible for the PS1 and PS2 I own, for a smash hit launch!

As of now, I'm only holding off for an increase of games I'm interested in, price-drop and/or Kingdom Hearts 3!

• Thumbs Up 1

Remember how Microsoft was "the devil" for having microtransactions in their racing game?

Well, Sony is doing the exact same.

sooooo ironic

Remember how Microsoft was "the devil" for having microtransactions in their racing game?

sooooo ironic

The article you're talking about also says that Gran Turismo 6's currency is gained in exactly the same way and at the same rate as Gran Turismo 5 before it, meaning that it exists for those who want it but has no bearing on the rest of the game, unlike Forza which made grinding extremely tedious and time-consuming in order to encourage players to spend more money.

snaaaarky comment

there are also 28 DLC cars coming over the course of the next few months, all of which are free

• Thumbs Up 2

Context, please? I don't know if you're talking about Driveclub or Gran Turismo 6.

Okay well even with the context it'd be nice to see the article so I know how ironic this actually is. A random post with no fucking source just seems spiteful.

Context, please? I don't know if you're talking about Driveclub or Gran Turismo 6.

Okay well even with the context it'd be nice to see the article so I know how ironic this actually is. A random post with no fucking source just seems spiteful.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=728221

I had no idea what he was talking about either. 

sooooo ironic

Post a GD article next time, gosh

The article you're talking about also says that Gran Turismo 6's currency is gained in exactly the same way and at the same rate as Gran Turismo 5 before it, meaning that it exists for those who want it but has no bearing on the rest of the game, unlike Forza which made grinding extremely tedious and time-consuming in order to encourage players to spend more money.

snaaaarky comment

there are also 28 DLC cars coming over the course of the next few months, all of which are free

Are they free free or "free" but you have to buy them with in game currency? Aaaaah fucking transactions.

Forza's grind/micro-transaction combination is some profoundly stupid shit but the most expensive car in GT6 is two times the most expensive in Forza. 

Shit-slinging breeds more shit-slinging.

From neoGAF (link also in Discoid's post):

Sony maintains that GT6's microtransactions offer players an alternative fast-track route through the series' famously grindy progression. Eurogamer's review will be published on Friday.

That doesn't exactly inspire confidence, but then, I don't particularly like racing games and thus lack much of a capacity to care. Regardless, how much of a 'grindfest' is Forza compared to GT, anyway?

Shit-slinging breeds more shit-slinging.

From neoGAF (link in Discoid's post):

That doesn't exactly inspire confidence, but then, I don't particularly like racing games and thus lack much of a capacity to care anyway. Regardless, how much of a 'grindfest' is Forza compared to GT, anyway?

It's faster than Forza. There's seasonal events you can do which can give you in the tens of thousands of credits, and you are gifted cars every now and then.

Whoops. I honestly thought I was like 5 hours late on the news but I guess not. I actually read off the SEGA Forum here.

http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?504074-Sony-I-am-Disappoint

Which used the source here.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Gran-Turismo-6-Top-Car-Cost-Nearly-200-60880.html

Which included

in Gran Turismo 6, the most expensive vehicle is the Jaguar XJ13, which carries a 20 million credit price, or in real money, it will cost you £119.95, roughly $196.05.

$200 for a car

$200 FUCKING DOLLARS

That's insane!

500,000 In-Game Credits (£3.99/€4.99)
1 Million In-Game Credits (£7.99/€9.99)
2,500,000 In-Game Credits (£15.99/€19.99)
7 Million In-Game Credits (£39.99/€49.99)

Given that there is a limit of 7 million credits, it means you'll need to purchase multiple packs at various prices before you have enough to grab a high-end car from the cash shop.