Awoo.

PlayStation 4 Discussion

Detective Shadzter

Could external HDD support be something that could be patched in later or is it related to hardware and thus can not be patched in?

Sucks about the lack of MP3, audio CD and media server support. My wife has a huge CD collection and is always playing them on our PS3 :-/ 

Sucks about the lack of MP3, audio CD and media server support. My wife has a huge CD collection and is always playing them on our PS3 :-/ 

Hey, at least they'll most likely patch that in. We've gotten no word about external drives yet: with mandatory installs, 500 gigs doesn't seem so big anymore.

External drive support is entirely up to the software side, because the hardware requirement to meet is "has USB ports".

External drive support is entirely up to the software side, because the hardware requirement to meet is "has USB ports".

Alright.

We should make some noise on Twitter, maybe they'll patch that in too eventually.

Edited by Ghostly Warp

Hey, at least they'll most likely patch that in. We've gotten no word about external drives yet: with mandatory installs, 500 gigs doesn't seem so big anymore.

I wouldn't have thought they'd be able to patch in support for a type of disc. Thought that would be something that would have to be physically built in? Shows how much I know about tech :P Agree about the size. Hopefully by the time I can afford a PS4 there will be models out with bigger hard drives. 

I get the feeling that a lot of tech-savvy PS4 users are probably going to chuck in 1.4TB HDD's or 1TB SSD's (for that loading speed) anyway. Glad Sony remembered to at least make sure the Hard Drives were user-replaceable. That too with a neat Playstation Screw.

Disappointed by the lack of DLNA and MP3 playback. But I get the feeling that by the time I buy one, that stuff will be patched back in.

... a 1TB SSD costs more than the console itself. You'd have to be extremely stupid to buy a 1TB SSD to pop into a SATA II port.

• Thumbs Up 1

... a 1TB SSD costs more than the console itself. You'd have to be extremely stupid to buy a 1TB SSD to pop into a SATA II port.

Someone may do it for the extra storage space. 500 Gigs, with mandatory installs in mind, doesn't seem that big. 

Also, random questions.

I know the thing is incompatible with external hard drives, but is it incompatible with smaller USB sticks? I figured I'd solve the space issue by having all my profile info on a USB stick, and keep all other data on more then 1 HDD, swapping them out if needed. 

EDIT: If you want external HDD support on PS4, tweet @yosp with the hashtag #PS4External

Edited by Ghostly Warp

Even 128GB SSDs are expensive. Holy hell if anyone buy a 1TB for their console.

If they have that money, they may as well build a gaming PC to take advantage of it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Someone may do it for the extra storage space. 500 Gigs, with mandatory installs in mind, doesn't seem that big. 

Also, random questions.

I know the thing is incompatible with external hard drives, but is it incompatible with smaller USB sticks? I figured I'd solve the space issue by having all my profile info on a USB stick, and keep all other data on more then 1 HDD, swapping them out if needed. 

EDIT: If you want external HDD support on PS4, tweet @yosp with the hashtag #PS4External

Dude, a 1TB SSD costs $800-$900. a 1TB 2.5" HDD costs $100

No one with an ounce of financial sanity would do it.

Ah.

Forgive me for not knowing much about computer stuff. 

1TB is only 100$? I thought it was well over that; guess places like Best Buy and Radioshack over charge for that then :(.

External Hard Drive support could happen, well thats great news; thats one cool thing the Wii U can do, just plug in your 1TB HD and you have a ton of space at your disposal. Wish the PS3 had that feature; would go a long way with taking advantage of PS+ :).

Good News Everyone!

MP3 Support, DLNA and more features to follow on 2nd PS4 update

Though there have been a few missteps on Sony’s behalf  from the recent FAQ post riddled with mistakes of no MP3 support, NoDLNA support, and a few other features that are not available at launch.  We were able to speak to a Sony rep today about if any of these features could be implemented in the near future and much to our surprise we have received a “Yes“. The future update that is in process to be rolled out shortly after the PS4′s launch(November 15th) will include the following detailed features listed below:

• Legacy headset support
  • Mp3 support for not only in-game but non gaming as well.
  • Suspend and resume play feature

All of these features are set to hit PS4′s consoles by late 2013- to early 2014. Which we hope Sony will deliver sooner upon. From what we know these features are being packed in the 2nd forth coming PS4 firmware update.  Also these details were hinted today when Shuhei Yoshida  made a post on twitter stating that he had a discussion with otherPlayStation 4 development team members about received feedback. With this news being provided Those these features are a definite step in the right direction. We were still unable to confirm future external hard drive support for media or game data would be supported later on. lastly we’re still waiting to hear if there will be future YouTube support for video sharing. What do you think of this good news do you think Sony still needs more features to claim the living room in this next gen console war?

Good, good..............................................now give me my external HDD support..........you know you want too Sony..........

Edited by Ghostly Warp

​Youtube can't handle Killzone Shadowfall footage  

http://kotaku.com/new-ps4-game-footage-too-mighty-for-puny-youtube-strea-1458262061?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

A new preview of Killzone: Shadow Fall is out in the wild today. Don't go looking for it on YouTube or any other service, though. Developer Guerilla Games says that streaming just isn't good enough for their shiny next-gen baby. It needs special treatment to be appreciated in all its glory.P

You can find multiplayer footage for Shadow Fall here on the Guerilla Games site, along with the advice the devs are recommending for viewing the minute-plus clip the way it should be seen:P

Unfortunately, there are limitations to streamed video, and many of the clips and trailers we've released thus far aren't being viewed in the best possible fidelity and framerate.

In order to properly demonstrate the framerate and resolution we achieve in Shadow Fall's multiplayer, we've captured and lightly compressed new footage that we're not offering through a video sharing service. Instead, we ask that you download and locally view the high-resolution, uncompressed footage directly from us.

Please use a video player with hardware acceleration when viewing the footage. We recommend Windows Media Player for Windows users and QuickTime Player for Mac users. Do not use a non-accelerated player (such as VLC Media Player) because the framerate and resolution of this movie are simply too high and will very likely cause choppy playback.

The video you just saw has been captured from a multiplayer match on "The Park" (MP08). The map is based on one of the environments you'll encounter in the single player campaign, situated firmly behind enemy lines near the Visari tribute statue.

As you can probably tell from the footage, Killzone Shadow Fall multiplayer outputs at a native 1080p, rendering uncapped but always targeting 60fps. We're very pleased with how well the game runs, and we can't wait for you to play it come November 15.

Now, someone will probably upload this somewhere. But, it's 541 MB for 1:14 of console footage, which is the kind of thing that makes you wonder if some kind of shift will have to happen to accommodate all the ramped-up visuals of next-gen games. Having taken a look at it myself, the skirmish does look visually impressive. The image above is a screencap from the video run in Quicktime Player on a Mac. P

Mind you, there's nothing from a gameplay design standpoint that makes it look like a big evolutionary leap. But the detail and smoothness on display aren't things that you can deny. Guerilla has traditionally been a studio that's pushed PlayStation hardware to peak performance and it looks like they're well on their way to doing the same here.

Edited by Chaos Warp

Was just about to post that. Seriously, download it guys and girls. This game looks PRETTTTTTTTTTTYYYYY!

Edited by KrazyBean
  • Thumbs Up 1

There's a little bit of pop-in I noticed, but it might be a beta thing. If not, oh well. 

This looks far better than Titanfall both graphically and gameplay wise (oh and it actually has a campaign laugh.png )

warpisgoingtokillme

There's a little bit of pop-in I noticed, but it might be a beta thing. If not, oh well. 

Even BF4 on PC with Ultra settings has some pop-in. As long as it loads quickly then it should be fine

This looks far better than Titanfall both graphically and gameplay wise (oh and it actually has a campaign laugh.png )

warpisgoingtokillme

For starters, this is an actual exclusive. KZ:SF will not be showing up on PS3 or PC anytime soon (or ever). ALL resources are being poured onto one console.

Edited by KrazyBean

Chaos Warp.

Graphics are not infinite power. You're going to get Pop-In. Forever.