Awoo.

That Guy With The Glasses.Com

Stacy

Well, at least, he said he enjoyed and entertained by it and that it was unpredictable. Don't worry NC just keep going til you get to Season 2 where things start to get rolling as it reveals a much more solid narrative and overarching plotlines, get more character development, and starts to dive deep into Ooo's backstory. 

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/specials/40819-adventure-time-vlogs-slumber-party-panic

More Longbox with The Nightmare Factory.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/linkara/longbox-of-the-damned/40821-lotd-the-nightmare-factory

Just looked at the Indie Go Go Campaign and bloody hell some people have some money to waste.

Someone out there has donated $6,500 dollars with the incentive that they will be in a Nostalgia Critic episode.

Its there money (if they didn't take out a loan) but think what you could do with $6,500.

I bet the only reason Doug made that incentive so expensive is because he thought no one would have the money to donate to it. Obviously someone has.

Edited by BW199148

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/specials/40827-adventure-time-vlogs-trouble-in-lumpy-space

His reactions seems more or less the same as the first and he did laugh at it even if it is out of feeling awkward, but at least he is still going through with and continue on. Though I say Doug shouldn't try too hard to analyze the show especially, again, a true narrative and backstory comes into play during the second season. At least, the next episode, Prisoners of Love, will have something/someone to truly talk/analyze about and probably relate to, The Ice King. Yet I'm surprised he hasn't really mentioned or talked much about the character interactions, writing, animation, VAs and atmosphere.

Edited by AdventChild

I really hope he doesn't review MLP FiM he will lose what respect I have left for him because he seems to be spending more time on his Video Blogs than he does on reviews and in my honest opinion he only does this to appease his increasingly obsessive fanbase and make more money.

I thought Avatar was a one off. But now he is doing Adventure Time he is definitely doing this as a fan service and amount of people requesting him to review their favourite shows.

Sorry for being so cynical but damn what happened to the Nostalgia Critic?

g138108759870317543.jpg

Edited by BW199148
  • Thumbs Up 1

NC is the only entertaining thing on that website why did you think he came back?

I really hope he doesn't review MLP FiM he will lose what respect I have left for him because he seems to be spending more time on his Video Blogs than he does on reviews and in my honest opinion he only does this to appease his increasingly obsessive fanbase and make more money.

He already stated here that he has no interest in the show. 

Besides, from what I can tell from some of his other videos, he seems to be sick of hearing about it all the time, and seems to also be sick of both bronies and anti-bronies constantly at each others throats. 

He already stated here that he has no interest in the show. 

Besides, from what I can tell from some of his other videos, he seems to be sick of hearing about it all the time, and seems to also be sick of both bronies and anti-bronies constantly at each others throats. 

That was two years. He has changed his mind on things in the past (Digimon). Depends how desperate he is.

I don't know. Maybe being an older fan I am no longer his target audience. 

That was two years. He has changed his mind on things in the past (Digimon). Depends how desperate he is.   I don't know. Maybe being an older fan I am no longer his target audience.
Who is his target audience exactly?

Ya know the funny thing is, his Vlogs seem to be the only videos of his I actually care about these days, along with the Editorials. The reviews, while MUCH better than they used to be during those dark times, are still just way too long and drawn out.

I like his videos that get straight to the point and don't require 40 whole minutes of my time. I can understand the length if it's for something special like the Avatar movie, but nowadays it seems like it's for EVERY review, sheash...

Oh yeah, and not every single review needs some kind of story or narrative to piece it together, just... review the movie already.

Edited by Goldenlink64
  • Thumbs Up 4

NC tackles Prisoners of Love with Brad Jones AKA Cinema Snob! 

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/specials/40846-adventure-time-vlogs-prisoners-of-love

At least, they say that it's unpredictably is consistent which is hard to do, not to mention one of the reasons why the show is successful. Again, I don't understand is why he isn't commenting on the characters esp. now with the intro to Ice King, who becomes important into learning about Ooo's history and voiced by Tom Kenny no less, their interactions and what he likes about them instead of trying to search for an overarching plot at this point or at least, make a list of what he is learning about the world and the little details such as listing the chars, landscapes/worlds, certain items, etc.

Though next episode is Tree Trunks and I fear that the ending will definitely lose him. I still hope that he'll keep up with it though!

Edited by AdventChild

Sorry for being so cynical but damn what happened to the Nostalgia Critic?

He's not the Nostalgia Critic in these vlogs. He is Doug Walker. He's wanted to move away from the Nostalgia Critic for a long time, and you know what? I enjoy the stuff he does on the side. I like listening to his opinion on things that go beyond the humor of his skits. 

I far prefer this kind of thing when it consists mostly of calm, rational, informative opinion, not screeching hyperbole or irrelevant skits, and I've never understood the fascination people have with each reviewer sticking to their own strict little corner of stuff they can talk about. Not that I think this is an unreasonable place to go from the starting point of "nostalgia" anyway; Doug's said a million times that he's a huge fan of classic cartoons, and I think it fits his modus operandi just fine to apply what he knows to a new generation of kids' shows.

I'm not saying these TV vlogs are perfect, since I do prefer a scripted and edited product over the kind of rambling you get sometimes with off-the-cuff stuff, but they're the first thing of his I've paid much attention to in a good long while.

• Thumbs Up 2

He's not the Nostalgia Critic in these vlogs. He is Doug Walker. He's wanted to move away from the Nostalgia Critic for a long time, and you know what? I enjoy the stuff he does on the side. I like listening to his opinion on things that go beyond the humor of his skits. 

I know that but I was pointing out he spends more time on these Vlogs that then he does on NC Episodes. If he is going to make them more elaborate with bigger skits and stories they should require more time to work on them than he currently does.

Why doesn't Doug just cancel it for good if clearly hates doing it and be himself? Oh yeah he needs the money that expensive studio isn't going to pay for itself you know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfrt39e-b5w

Edited by BW199148

It's not really because if the money it's because most of the people who visit the site only comes to see him everybody else isn't that entertaining enough(in some cases at all) to make people stay. If your thinking about it who really watches guys like Jew Wario, The last angry nerd(or is it geek) Nostalgia Chick(only because she reviews the stuff Doug won't) etc

Edited by Dejimon11

It's not really because if the money it's because most of the people who visit the site only comes to see him everybody else isn't that entertaining enough(in some cases at all) to make people stay. If your thinking about it who really watches guys like Jew Wario, The last angry nerd(or is it geek) Nostalgia Chick(only because she reviews the stuff Doug won't) etc

So you are saying they need him keep it afloat. He needs money and viewership to the keep site going and as well as his studio that wasn't exactly cheap that is why he did the Indie Go Go Campaign. I didn't say he need the money to make him rich. I know a lot rides on him its not exactly fair on him though is it he'll inevitability burn himself out again.

You are very cynical about this change aren't you? Have you ever thought that maybe Doug's sense of what gets a laugh has changed and his style of humor doesn't really match yours anymore? Now that his reviews have changed from the raging fanboy to a fairly mellow Critic with a quirky side, maybe you just aren't willing to jump aboard with his new approach? If that's the case, then why complain? Doug wants to do what he does and if he's forced to do Nostalgia Critic so he can get his other stuff out there while still having a safety net, then so be it. He's changed, and complaining about it won't bring the old Critic back.

• Thumbs Up 4

NC tackles Prisoners of Love with Brad Jones AKA Cinema Snob! 

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/specials/40846-adventure-time-vlogs-prisoners-of-love

At least, they say that it's unpredictably is consistent which is hard to do, not to mention one of the reasons why the show is successful. Again, I don't understand is why he isn't commenting on the characters esp. now with the intro to Ice King, who becomes important into learning about Ooo's history and voiced by Tom Kenny no less, their interactions and what he likes about them instead of trying to search for an overarching plot at this point or at least, make a list of what he is learning about the world and the little details such as listing the chars, landscapes/worlds, certain items, etc.

Though next episode is Tree Trunks and I fear that the ending will definitely lose him. I still hope that he'll keep up with it though!

I don't blame him for having little to say about the Ice King at this point, remember he's watching this series blind so for all he knows the Ice King has as much importance and permanence to the overarching story as the farting candy from the first episode.

I know that but I was pointing out he spends more time on these Vlogs that then he does on NC Episodes. If he is going to make them more elaborate with bigger skits and stories they should require more time to work on them than he currently does.

Not true at all, the vlogs usually take between 20-40 minutes to make each and that includes the time he spends watching the episode. The NC reviews however take several days of watching, writing, filming and editing. Even if he does daily vlogs that only adds up to 3-5 hrs a week max.

I don't blame him for having little to say about the Ice King at this point, remember he's watching this series blind so for all he knows the Ice King has as much importance and permanence to the overarching story as the farting candy from the first episode.

Yeah, though he is approaching this all wrong with trying to find an overarching plot and it'll be better for him to not do one 11-minute episode at a time especially with season 1 and try at least 2 episodes per day (only for this season) so he doesn't have to slog so much to get to season 2 where a semblance of an overarching story appears. Though I'm hoping he'll at least try to get to the Evicted which introduces Marceline the Vampire Queen and get his impressions on her esp. since she reappears more often than others in S1 along with Ice King.

I also wonder if he ever bothers to read the comments in the V-logs since many are giving him better approaches to the show and wanting him to keep at it as well as show patience for these episodes. Again, he really is only trying to find an overarching plot despite being given many characters and locations to analyze and try to at least make assumptions like how Lumpy Space and Death World indicates that the show's world/universe is multiple and have different planes of existence or reality. Or even take note of the multiple princesses that are unique and can be considered satirical when compared to other shows, a possible response to the Damsel in Distress trope, if you look at it that way. It's reaching for the stars, but at least it is something when you take a step back and observe the smaller details to get the bigger picture at this point.

You are very cynical about this change aren't you? Have you ever thought that maybe Doug's sense of what gets a laugh has changed and his style of humor doesn't really match yours anymore? Now that his reviews have changed from the raging fanboy to a fairly mellow Critic with a quirky side, maybe you just aren't willing to jump aboard with his new approach? If that's the case, then why complain? Doug wants to do what he does and if he's forced to do Nostalgia Critic so he can get his other stuff out there while still having a safety net, then so be it. He's changed, and complaining about it won't bring the old Critic back.

No maybe because I am actually prepared to criticize his work if I think its below the standard he is capable of and I don't wholeheartedly agree with everything he does?

Jesus Christ so of you must be TGWTG posters because you are so bloody defensive.

That Marco image must hit some nerves. 

I am merely expressing my opinion and being critical of his work. 

Raging Fanboy? Are we even talking about the same critic here?

There was a lot more to him then that. Doug used have some passion and euphemism when he reviewed of the past. Now he just reviews whatever gets a shit score on Rotten Tomatoes or requested by his overbearing fan base that eat whatever shit he churns out and agree like a horde of trained seals with whatever he says as if its fact. Its so sycophantic and anyone that disagrees gets shouted off the TGWTG comment section its pathetic.

Thinking about it maybe its the fans I have more of a problem with?

I did say that maybe I am no longer his demographic. But I should still be allowed to criticize his work if I believe it is of a low standard and I have said some positives now and again about some of his recent work.

I never said all of what he does is currently garbage.

Edited by BW199148

No maybe because I am actually prepared to criticize his work if I think its below the standard he is capable of and I don't wholeheartedly agree with everything he does?

Jesus Christ so of you must be TGWTG posters because you are so bloody defensive.

That Marco image must hit some nerves. 

I am merely expressing my opinion and being critical of his work. 

Raging Fanboy? Are we even talking about the same critic here?

There was a lot more to him then that. Doug used have some passion and euphemism when he reviewed of the past. Now he just reviews whatever gets a shit score on Rotten Tomatoes or requested by his overbearing fan base that eat whatever shit he churns out and agree like a horde of trained seals with whatever he says as if its fact. Its so sycophantic and anyone that disagrees gets shouted off the TGWTG comment section its pathetic.

Thinking about it maybe its the fans I have more of a problem with?

I did say that maybe I am no longer his demographic. But I should still be allowed to criticize his work if I believe it is of a low standard and I have said some positives now and again about some of his recent work.

I never said all of what he does is currently garbage.

I never said you couldn't criticize his work. I haven't the mod power to ban you, nor would I for that reason. 

I am just a guy who agrees with you that a lot of his work has become not as funny with his current reviews. But you complain about his Vlogs which are the times when we can hear Doug's actual opinion on something without comedy in the way. I listened to your points about how you found his modern reviews unfunny, and I respected that, but the way you just criticize these Vlogs for just being here just bugs me.

So what if Doug reviews whatever these days? If he can make someone laugh with his choice, it doesn't matter. He never had history with, The Room, but that's hailed as one of his best reviews. 

My problem isn't that you're criticizing his work. Nor am I telling you not too as, I infer from your statements. It's that everytime he makes a decision to do something, you complain about his decision. So what if you didn't like the Avatar review? Your beef with it was apparently Doug doing the review made him the equivalent of a sell out to his fanbase. Your beef with his Adventure Time Vlogs is just that Doug's making this decision to look at this series because his fanbase begged him for it. As if you don't trust him to offer anything entertaining or interesting to listen about. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Also, accusing Doug of kowtowing all of the time to his fanbase when he's on record for saying he wouldn't give the vlog treatment to MLP:FiM, one of the biggest pop culture surprises in recent years- and having to repeat this assertion multiple times because indeed, his fanbase apparently wanted him to do it- smacks of quite the insult to him.

Also, accusing Doug of kowtowing all of the time to his fanbase when he's on record for saying he wouldn't give the vlog treatment to MLP:FiM, one of the biggest pop culture surprises in recent years- and having to repeat this assertion multiple times because indeed, his fanbase apparently wanted him to do it- smacks of quite the insult to him.

He might yet do it. He changed his mind when he said he wouldn't review Digimon but he did review it.

Never say never.

EDIT: Wasting my time with this. Its hard to type out what I really want to say.

Edited by BW199148

He may, he may not. That's a hypothetical we'll deal with when we come to it. The point is, we've seen him constantly make decisions that go against his fanbase's wishes.

Linkara reviews The Thing from Another World: Climate of Fear #3-4 while being held captive on his glitched out spaceship.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/linkara/at4w/40939-the-thing-from-another-world-climate-of-fear-3-4

Also, nice Attack on Titan reference for the title card. 

Bennett the Sage gives an eyeful observation of EYES of Mars.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/bt/the-sage/anime-abandon/40941-eyes-of-mars

Hint of a crossover with NC at the end for next week.

NC finally continues his AT Vlogs with Tree Trunks, probably his favorite episode thus far and favorite character, and seems to be getting into it slightly.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/specials/40940-adventure-time-vlogs-tree-trunks

At least, he seems to continue on with the series and actually listened to the fans about AT's growth into something more deep and complex with emotion and having a consistent plot along with teaming up with someone who is a fan of the show and knows much about the series to help him understand it a bit more, just hope the other guy doesn't spoil it for him like how he teased at the end of the vid. Even though they talked much about the character Tree Trunks, the ending and Finn's age, I was still hoping they talked more about the creative monsters and Finn's hard-hitting comment at Tree Trunks after being all "jacked up".

Edited by AdventChild