Awoo.

That Guy With The Glasses.Com

Stacy

40 Minutes is he taking the piss? Sorry but I struggle with the now usual 30 minute reviews. Remember when his reviews were under 20 minutes doesn't anyone else miss those days? mellow.png

• Thumbs Up 1

The review is about 20 min.

The rest of that time is given to his scripted segments which have nothing to do with the review and are terrible.

In fact when he finishes the review, theres about 10 min left of TMZ piss taking.

The rest of that time is given to his scripted segments which have nothing to do with the review and are terrible.

In fact when he finishes the review, theres about 10 min left of TMZ piss taking.

Really, Christ Doug. Yeah TMZ is crap and I hate all that celebrity obsessed shite but did really had pad it out for that long it is not even related to the film he is reviewing. sleep.png

Edited by BW199148

I'll hand it to Doug, he really knows how to run a joke straight into the fucking ground. It's just like the good old days before he killed the Nostalgia critic off. *sigh*

The last review I watched of his was The Cat in the Hat. I'm sorry, but I miss the old Nostalgia Critic. I don't like this one very much... =/

The last review I watched of his was The Cat in the Hat. I'm sorry, but I miss the old Nostalgia Critic. I don't like this one very much... =/

There's a joke in there somewhere about having nostalgia for the Nostalgia Critic, but uh I'mma just let it be.

• Thumbs Up 5

Yeah, I can't really bring myself to be excited for any of the Nostalgia Critic's new episodes. Most of his jokes as of recently are either abused to death, incredibly repetitive or just plain annoying. I didn't think that "Mother Fing T-rex" song or the Nostalgia Critic's over the top reactions in the Jurassic Park review were all that funny... Just obnoxious and painful to sit through.

• Thumbs Up 1

There's a joke in there somewhere about having nostalgia for the Nostalgia Critic, but uh I'mma just let it be.

Funny you should mention that. I have just been watching some old Nostalgia Critic reviews and despite the crappy video quality they are still funny as hell. Even episodes from 2011 are miles more amusing than the current episodes of the series and by end of the 2011 (and around the time I made this topic) I stopped watching regularly because Doug's output was becoming patchy and even those episodes are miles better than the post Demo Reel ones.

One thing I have noticed in the earlier episodes is Doug does far less scream ranting than his later episodes. You know that nigh pitch scream he started doing yeah I am not a fan.

You know one film I would love Doug to review? 'Stop Or My Mom will Shoot' starring Sylvester Stallone but I doubt he could do it justice now.sleep.png

Edited by BW199148
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I can't really bring myself to be excited for any of the Nostalgia Critic's new episodes. Most of his jokes as of recently are either abused to death, incredibly repetitive or just plain annoying. I didn't think that "Mother Fing T-rex" song or the Nostalgia Critic's over the top reactions in the Jurassic Park review were all that funny... Just obnoxious and painful to sit through.

Same here just watched it. I know part of the Joke of the Nostalgia Critic is that exaggerates things and looks way too into the movie he is reviewing. But this one was painful to sit through. I am sure the movie has its flaws but were they that big of a deal? I found his constant bashing of Jeff Goldblum's character annoying and if you have watched his Independence Day and Jurassic Park: The Lost World reviews it is clear that he hates Jeff Goldblum, I hope Doug doesn't review 'The Fly'. I still think Jeff Goldblum's character holds up and is a great moral counter-point to Richard Attenborough's character who doesn't heed to the cost of his ambitions while Sam Neil's and Laura Dern's characters get lost in the wonder of it until they are running for their lives. 

So yeah I need to punch something.sleep.png  

• Thumbs Up 1

I think the actual film reviews themselves are pretty good themselves, and some of the sideplots when done right (namely if they are actually bear some relation to the movie in question being reviewed) are good accompaniments (I think the Cat in the Hat review is probably the best example of this working). It's just that some of the gags (i.e. T-Rex) go on for too long; and the subplots sometimes overtake the review (the recent AI review with the whole TMZ shtick), which are especially a bit of a hindrance to sit through when they are based on one overstretched gag (TMZ bashing, especially since that he already did it in his Top 11 South Park episodes). As a result, it makes his output really hit-or-miss.

• Thumbs Up 1

I feel like the skits are a result of Blip's new direction... or he just needs to keep the cast he hired for Demo Reel busy, so he tries to add them for contractual reasons.

I dunno about you, but I just switch myself off and continue drawing when those sketch segments go on. They're nothing to do with the Nostalgia Critic but seem to be something in themselves which kids might find amusing.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/specials/39420-the-last-airbender-vlogs

So Doug wants to review Piece of Fucking Crap The Movie The Last Airbender movie, but he's going to watch through the entire series first and v-log about them. As a huge fan of that show, I for one am very excited about this whole prospect. I'm actually tempted to watch along with him!

...Too bad Netflix Instant Watch took it down  >:I

• Thumbs Up 1

I agree. That video was way too long and should have been shorter. I have to agree with Gabz that the old critic was better than the new one.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/specials/39420-the-last-airbender-vlogs

So Doug wants to review Piece of Fucking Crap The Movie The Last Airbender movie, but he's going to watch through the entire series first and v-log about them. As a huge fan of that show, I for one am very excited about this whole prospect. I'm actually tempted to watch along with him!

...Too bad Netflix Instant Watch took it down  >:I

Ooh! I'm interested as well! As another fan of the show, I'm curious to see what he says about the episodes as well.

Edited by Kevin

I just watched NC's "Are Video Games Art" editorial. When I first saw this on the ticker I kind of groaned on the inside because I honestly didn't think Doug would be that knowledgeable about the medium. I mean I know he has the Video Game Confession series and all that, but even those are mostly characters that have been around for years and everybody knows about.

So I was kind of surprised to hear he actually keeps on top of things. He said himself that he's a casual gamer at best, but he obviously does know his shit.

I just watched NC's "Are Video Games Art" editorial. When I first saw this on the ticker I kind of groaned on the inside because I honestly didn't think Doug would be that knowledgeable about the medium. I mean I know he has the Video Game Confession series and all that, but even those are mostly characters that have been around for years and everybody knows about.

So I was kind of surprised to hear he actually keeps on top of things. He said himself that he's a casual gamer at best, but he obviously does know his shit.

Yeah I watched it. It was pretty good and I was surprised to see he gave some good examples of games can be considered art.smile.png

So yeah I find his editorial episodes to be far more interesting than his conventional episodes usually because they last under 20 minutes.

• Thumbs Up 5

I finally got around to watching "Are Video Games Art" editorial and I have to agree, it was very good and he gave some great examples too. I'm hoping we'll see more editorials from him in the near future.

Spoiler alert: This wasn't funny, and will most likely be a waste of your time.

Edited by Balding Spider

The film or the review?

The film? I've saw it as a kid, and I thought it was just boring. Looking back at it during the review....yeah. It's not only boring, but it's crap, especially considering all of those unfunny (character) stereotypes I didn't bat an eyelid at during my first watch.

The review itself I thought was good.

The film or the review?

The film? I've saw it as a kid, and I thought it was just boring. Looking back at it during the review....yeah. It's not only boring, but it's crap, especially considering all of those unfunny (character) stereotypes I didn't bat an eyelid at during my first watch.

The review itself I thought was good.

I was referring to the review originally, but I guess you could say it applies to both.

I really do think a problem is that Doug has to put these actors to use probably due to contractual obligations, meaning that he has to come up with filler skits. I thought the review was decent, but I actually find his more informative editorials more interesting.

• Thumbs Up 1

Irony seeing as he says the film is not funny at the beginning. 

Doug thought the Waterboy sucked? That was one of Adam Sandlers better films. sleep.png

I also found Benchwarmers quite funny too. I think comedy is a hard thing to review because humour is really subjective, I guess a lot of things are subjective. As for the film in question, I personally think it is mediocre and Dana Carvey is capable of much more.

I take it Doug is not a fan of Happy Madison productions which is okay their films aren't for everyone but not all them are god awful and there was no need to be so Condescending to the people that happen to enjoy those films?

I just find it ironic Doug is bashing the movie for not being funny, yet he is not being funny himself. This review was was about as funny as the film he reviewed. That is my opinion anyway. He spends way too much explaining the film for start to finish rather focusing on select material for the film to form his review. Granted so of older reviews had him starting the review at the beginning but it was much more condensed and to the point.

I also found it funny that some of the Doug's criticisms can be applied to himself.

In short don't do a review of film that isn't funny if you are meant to funny yourself but don't manage to pull it off. Seriously I didn't watch all of it I just skimmed through it was that tedious six minutes in.

I like at the end he is telling movie to end kind of how I feel about his current reviews.

In short. Balding Spider is right don't watch it like the movie it is a waste of time. 

Edited by BW199148

I also found it funny that some of the Doug's criticisms can be applied to himself.

You know... I came in here just to say this myself, every criticism he makes in this one, look at his Ai review and ask 'can it be applied here?'

Watching Master of Disguise, it was just... really boring, the movie and his review of it. But there was something else which bugged me and this kinda goes into the whole 'downfall of the show' which a lot of people have been saying yet Doug himself seems to be either ignoring or just putting it as whinners/mr McNit-picks.

You know when he says 'Kill me! Inject me now!" and that girl does try to do that... and he says 'it was a joke!' Wait... but... you've done tons of gags like that in the past, one of the most famous is 'bat credit card' and the breakdown during the Battlefield Earth review, we're led to believe that your character actually takes medication, does some form of comedic self harm... yet here... you more or less say 'I'm not being serious I'm just joking.' Well... doesn't that go against your criticism that comedy is only funny if someone is in pain? Part of the reason we laugh at those breakdowns, the fake medical staff rushing in is because for that review at least, we're led to believe it's real and your character really thinks/wants that.

There was another one which I think is a bit odd and it ties in to some of the problems I have with how the critic has moved on from a crazy goofy guy moaning about movies, but still has good points and observations... to 'This is a show and the critic is the star' format that we now have.

Remember moments like 'Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle?' or the times when he runs out of his house screaming? Heck even the Catwoman video has something like this.

We're led to believe that this is being filmed at the 'Critic's house.'

Theres a bit in this one, and ironically it contains my favourite bit of the whole episode, where the critic has a breakdown, runs outside... and we see what looks like some TV studio? A carpark? Wait... what happened to the cirtics house? It would be so much funnier if it looked like he'd lashed out at random passers by as apposed to people who have just been blatently placed in an easy to obtain location.

Also my funniest bit... when he runs upto the guy playing the 'posh film critic' and he says "Oh hello!" in that accent. The accent kills me every time.