Awoo.

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Screens & Media Topic

Agent York

If it's an enemy at the end of the stage that you have to fight as a legitimate boss, then great, but the footage makes it look like a common enemy that you'll see at least twice in the snow carnival. Having to all of a sudden halt the speed you worked so hard to gain to bash the shit out of a bear with your body just kind of sucks.

To be fair, it better than just being able to just dominate everything with the homing attack

If it's an enemy at the end of the stage that you have to fight as a legitimate boss, then great, but the footage makes it look like a common enemy that you'll see at least twice in the snow carnival. Having to all of a sudden halt the speed you worked so hard to gain to bash the shit out of a bear with your body just kind of sucks.

Your suggesting that it'd come right in the middle of a really fast section or is completely random. Neither is the case, it's a per-determined section just like any platforming section in ANY other Sonic game. And as you already said, it appears at least twice in the level. It'd only be a problem if it were like Heroes where EVERY enemy had a health bar.

• Thumbs Up 1

The release date is Spring 2012.

Which means the game will be out no later than May.

We're almost out of February.

This means we will have plenty of videos to disect within the next three months.

A demo is also possible to come out within the next three months, so you won't get "conned" into buying the full game if the physics are still the same as they were in Episode 1.

So relax. Don't worry, be happy.

Edited by Machenstein

To be fair, it better than just being able to just dominate everything with the homing attack

Not really, it slows you down a hell of a lot more and just doesn't work with the incentive of "Keep running and don't stop" in mind.

No, i'm not saying that the classic games were all about nonstop speed, but if you were good enough you could beat the stages without Sonic so much as jogging. If Snowy is a large enemy that you have to hit multiple times to defeat, then that just doesn't work with the game's level design and is boring.

I was too lazy to read like 12 pages of stuffs, but some people have a problem with multiple hit enemies? Wasn't it ok back in Marble Garden with those face-Imma-shoot-arrows-out-of-mah-mouth guys? You had to hit them like 3 times in the jewels before they blew up, =U. Plus, this isn't like a 3D Sonic game where it can become frustrated thanks to the extra dimension; this should be fun, =D.

As for the rest, I'm digging it honestly. Just a few tweaks judging from the video, but yeah, it's a judgement from the video. Alot of my feelings toward the game, good and bad, could be wrong without seeing more core, not cut-up, footage.

• Thumbs Up 4

Not really, it slows you down a hell of a lot more and just doesn't work with the incentive of "Keep running and don't stop" in mind.

No, i'm not saying that the classic games were all about nonstop speed, but if you were good enough you could beat the stages without Sonic so much as jogging. If Snowy is a large enemy that you have to hit multiple times to defeat, then that just doesn't work with the game's level design and is boring.

Not only are AGAIN platforms the same thing, slowing you down and also work against the incentive to keep running. And there are MANY instances in the classic games where you have to slow down*. The only reason you're so wary about it is because it's something new that wasn't in the classics.

Wasn't it ok back in Marble Garden with those face-Imma-shoot-arrows-out-of-mah-mouth guys?

^Case in point^

Edited by Black Spy

I was too lazy to read like 12 pages of stuffs, but some people have a problem with multiple hit enemies? Wasn't it ok back in Marble Garden with those face-Imma-shoot-arrows-out-of-mah-mouth guys? You had to hit them like 3 times in the jewels before they blew up, =U. Plus, this isn't like a 3D Sonic game where it can become frustrated thanks to the extra dimension; this should be fun, =D.

As for the rest, I'm digging it honestly. Just a few tweaks judging from the video, but yeah, it's a judgement from the video. Alot of my feelings toward the game, good and bad, could be wrong without seeing more core, not cut-up, footage.

Those weren't baniks though :U Those were some of these things called "level gimmicks"

Those weren't baniks though :U Those were some of these things called "level gimmicks"

It still counts as an enemy because it can attack you and you can attack it. Doesn't matter if it's technically a Badnik or not.

That's splitting hairs, enemies are enemies.

Seemed like a badnik to me, O_o? It was a thing that wanted to pound my face in, which the only things were either environmental hazards or something Eggman made. Even if he didn't make these, if I recall, you still had to destroy them to get pass in certain areas.

Hell, if you don't want to kill it, just fly over it *smashed*

Seemed like a badnik to me, O_o? It was a thing that wanted to shoot an arrow to the knee

1801096-badum_tish_super.jpg

i'mterrible, pleasedon'tkillme

Edited by VizardJeffhog
  • Thumbs Up 6

I was too lazy to read like 12 pages of stuffs, but some people have a problem with multiple hit enemies? Wasn't it ok back in Marble Garden with those face-Imma-shoot-arrows-out-of-mah-mouth guys? You had to hit them like 3 times in the jewels before they blew up,

If you want me to be honest, I actually really didn't like that feature in Marble Garden. It slowed the level down a shitton and was just unnecessary to make you hit it 3 times.

Not only are AGAIN platforms the same thing, slowing you down and also work against the incentive to keep running. And there are MANY instances in the classic games where you have to slow down*. The only reason you're so wary about it is because it's something new that wasn't in the classics.

Platforms are not the same thing, not even close. If you're good enough, you can find the fastest way across a set of platforms and it requires precision, thinking, and skill to leap from platform to platform. If you're good enough, you can bypass them all with a leap of faith as well. Defeating Snowy however requires you to bash A until he's dead, perhaps avoiding a punch or two. Very different, very boring.

I'm not trying to say that because of this one flaw that the game is going to be terrible, as a matter of fact I said that the trailer showed a lot of improvement over Episode I, but stuff like this just kind of disappoints me because I was never a fan of enemies with health bars in the Sonic franchise to begin with.

• Thumbs Up 2

Remember when everyone was calling people crazy for saying the physics were shit in episode 1 based on a tiny amount of game play from the first trailer..............and they were completely CORRECT? Yeah, just saying.

• Thumbs Up 2

Remember when everyone was calling people crazy for saying the physics were shit in episode 1 based on a tiny amount of game play from the first trailer..............and they were completely CORRECT? Yeah, just saying.

They were crazy though. They're view was fluke, because it was totally baseless. Case in point: Anotholeresisdent (or whatever his name was)

Edited by SiLeNtDo0m
  • Thumbs Up 4

Remeber when it obviously wasn't the case with Episode II?

Ahh, I remember it like it was yesterday.

• Thumbs Up 1

I expect a thread lockdown by Sean within the next few minutes... You know what he said about a topic going to hell and what not that he'd hate to end up modding?

It happened. Great job, everyone.

Edited by VizardJeffhog

Don't expect Mega Drive physics, but do expect the major grievances such as the infamous inertia-killing deceleration and uncurling to be gone.

Yeah, just saying.

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 2

Remember that Simpsons episode where Bart claimed that the MLB was using satellites to spy on people, everyone thought he was crazy, and then at the end the satellite crashed into his house?

Same thing.

Woah, that was awesome!

Though, SEGA should really stop showing segments with "RUN RUN SPRING SPRING HOMING ATTACK". It is giving the game a bad image.

I expect a thread lockdown by Sean within the next few minutes... You know what he said about a topic going to hell and what not that he'd hate to end up modding?

It happened. Great job, everyone.

Hey, at least we'll be getting another game recommendation due to this.

Taxman (And Ken Balough) has already confirmed that momentum/inertia has been fixed, so the only thing left is the rolling physics.

So yeah, not the case here.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't know man. Sure if Mr stops on a dime when the dpad is released is fixed that's great, but it still looks like the game plays more like episode 1 then classic Sonic to me. I'm willing to give the demo a shot before condemning though.

Hello!

Sean and I talked about it for a bit and thought it'd be awesome to let this back open if we play nice and blah'd a blah. More over, just keeping our heads straight, and stay on topic, >D.

So 'bout dat Sonic 4-2. Seeing the bear take multiple hits kinda really makes me hope for some legit mini-bosses, kinda like in Sonic 3. I want to fight some random machines that aren't really piloted like that engine looking thing from Angel Island, or that sand golem from Sandopolis.

• Thumbs Up 4

I still think the game looks fine, though I really wanna wait for some bonafide gameplay to make my final assessment

• Thumbs Up 1