Awoo.

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Screens & Media Topic

Agent York

He wasn't talking about Sonic directly. Hence why it was an analogy. HOWEVER...

It's a flawed analogy. There are many things that could affect that. If the ball doesn't bounce, doesn't mean it's heavy. Floor could be sticky. Ball could be sticky. Ball could be made of a non elastic material that doesn't really bounce like wood or glass (whilst still remaining hollow). Heck the ball could even be suspended and lowered from a thing string.

Edited by KrazyBean14

Videogame companies should be extremely modest with their marketing.

"Our game's gonna be pretty okay, I guess. You can buy it, even, if you feel like it!"

Isn't it the job of a company to try and get potential customers excited for their product? Why are we demonizing this practice? Even if SEGA were really playing this game up to be the second coming of Sonichrist (and they really aren't) it's not THEIR fault if you buy into it. It'd be different if they were, say, lying about the game, but they're not. People play the blame game over every damn thing.

• Thumbs Up 7

Even if SEGA were really playing this game up to be the second coming of Sonichrist (and they really aren't) it's not THEIR fault if you buy into it.

Well...I'm torn.

It looks great. From a purely graphical standpoint I find it hard to fault the game. The level design looks pretty interesting so far--much more dynamic than anything from Episode I. I love that we've got paths in the background for this Episode. Yes, there's lots of springs, but I don't really mind them that much.

However, I really dislike that generic speed boosters are even in this game. The classics occasionally used various types of boosters as gimmicks, but they weren't in every level and Episode II looks to be continuing the trend set by Episode I in this regard. Also, these boosters have me kind of concerned about physics, since they really only existed in E1 to make up for the physics problems. I hope this isn't a sign of bad things to come....

Finally, I really can't decide how I feel about these team moves. They certainly look cool and fun, but they're not really what I expect from "Sonic the Hedgehog 4". Granted, its worlds better than what we were given in Episode I, but this just looks so different from the Classics that I have a hard time feeling like they're related games. As a Sonic game, this looks good; but I'm still skeptical about the use of the name "Sonic the Hedgehog 4"

• Thumbs Up 2

Videogame companies should be extremely modest with their marketing.

"Our game's gonna be pretty okay, I guess. You can buy it, even, if you feel like it!"

Isn't it the job of a company to try and get potential customers excited for their product? Why are we demonizing this practice? Even if SEGA were really playing this game up to be the second coming of Sonichrist (and they really aren't) it's not THEIR fault if you buy into it. It'd be different if they were, say, lying about the game, but they're not. People play the blame game over every damn thing.

• Thumbs Up 3

I just watched the trailer for Springs and Boosters the Game, when are we getting Sonic 4 Episode II's trailer again?

But seriously, I'm getting the exact same vibes from this trailer that I got from Episode 1. It's prettier sure, but it looks like it plays almost exactly the same as Episode 1 did. I'm not very impressed.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's not that they're marketing it positively, don't be daft. It's that they're advertising stuff in the game that isn't there. Why wouldn't people be disappointed when they're told they're getting one thing but get another? That's why people were disappointed with Episode 1.

What are we being promised that SEGA isn't delivering?

Im with Mike on this one, though I was indeed underwhelmed by the trailer, I know damn well that it didnt show a fraction of what the game had to offer.

People honestly need to stop making mountains out of molehills.

Exactly! I can't say that this is anything new though, These kinds of comments/reactions happened with Colors and Generations too.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow.I was actually optimistic since hearing of the so called "new physics engine",but any hope i had was instantly destroyed with this trailer. The physics look exactly the same,no changes at all.Not mention the level design is still full of automation.I will still get it for Metal Sonic and Online Co-Op but wow,this is all i have to say to SEGA:

What are we being promised that SEGA isn't delivering?

A classic styled Sonic game. They've even gone and changed the physics engine in response to fan feedback and thus far it looks like nothing's been changed in that department. They make a big deal about how they're listening to fan feedback, but it's looking like little's changed overall.

• Thumbs Up 4

Oh boy! One minute and seven seconds of the automated parts of the game! I can't wait to see how bad this game turns out! Yay for Dimps' failures!

Dude... they hit the Winged Emblem at the end and lost all their rings... WINGED EMBLEM BOSS FIGHT CONFIRMED! :V

Oh, and I liked Ep.1. And I think this one this looking awesome. Blah blah blah. I know that opinions are as mixed as trial mix - not giving a single fuck - still getting it. Blah hmm hmm... Uh... *Insert details on why I like it so much here, as well as how the physics never really bothered me all that much.* And, okay! I await more info and I'm already anticipating on purchasing this.

So yeah! Can't wait to give Sega my money.

Edited by YoshiUnity Seven VII 7
  • Thumbs Up 1

A classic styled Sonic game. They've even gone and changed the physics engine in response to fan feedback and thus far it looks like nothing's been changed. They make a big deal about how they're listening to fan feedback, but it's looking like little's changed.

The problem is that what people consider to be a "classic styled Sonic game' is really kind of subjective. Not everyone remembers the classic games the same way and not everyone is a fan to a scientific level. There are a lot of people who don't think about the physics or any of that stuff.

I understand the disappointment but you guys make it sound like SEGA pulled a Peter Molyneux. If they said something that was FACTUALLY wrong, like "Tails is in the game" and he wasn't, then I can understand, but SEGA really didn't do anything like that.

Also don't you guys think it's a little early to say "NOTHING" has changed about the physics? We can infer stuff from the footage and I really doubt this is classic stuff, but to say nothing is different from Episode 1 is jumping the gun, even if it does look really similar.

• Thumbs Up 3

Things I liked:

*The level art and graphics overall look fantastic. Episode I was boring, unoriginal, and just plain bad. The animations including Sonic's running animation are a definite step up from his awkward and weird set of animations from Episode I, and overall the art in this game looks genuinely fantastic, truly a successor to the original games. It doesn't hurt that all the level tropes are original (To a degree), and many enemies are brand new.

*The zones looks really diverse and with a lot of variety to the level design and aesthetics. The trailer showcased 2 levels, but it could have easily been showcasing 3 or even 4. Despite the low level count, the acts seem to differ things up by changing the environment, time of day, and the geometry all together. I'm excited to see how levels mold into one another.

*Level design looks a bit better than Episode I from what I saw, if not by much. Stuff like going into the background of the level ala Donkey Kong Country Returns, legitimate platforming, and the underwater sections all look fun and intuitive.

*Sonic & Tails' co-op abilities look to genuinely add to the gameplay, such as having Tails help you swim faster and fly.

*Some problems SEEM to be fixed, such as uncurling and such. It's possible that the physics and other things have been changed for the better as well, but there's no real way to see.

Things I don't like:

*Health bar enemies. Why? In a game about speed and keeping your momentum we don't need gigantic nears that take 3 hits to kill, no reason.

*Level design doesn't look THAT much different. There are parts that seem better and exciting and fun, but then there are parts that are clearly Sonic being propelled through the level for 5+ seconds. No fun, classic Sonic rarely ever had speed boosters and springs telling him where to go.

*Info TVs are obtrusive and take away player involvement and figuring out exactly what to do on their own.

*Only 4 zones.

More pros than cons, but the levity of the cons is more severe than that of the pros. It looks fun enough and if I enjoy the demo I will likely buy it since I did enjoy Episode I to a degree, I just wanted to see more improvement in level design than I did here, I'm glad I didn't get myself too excited, I guess we'll just have to wait until we get real footage of people playing to get a good idea of the full experience.

Edited by Solid SOAP
  • Thumbs Up 5

You know, the general reactions is almost near identical to how the first gameplay trailer went down for Episode 1.

It's quite nostalgic actually.

Hey! I already tried to make that joke.

I just screwed up the delivery.

Edited by Gilda

Trailer looked pretty cool. Kinda underwealmed from the sex that is Generations. A few nitpicks here and there (spring chains with the HA beep. BOING BEEP BOING BEEP), otherwise there isn't really anything to say. Will patiently await actual gameplay footage.

Some sweet 69 is in there

You know, the general reactions is almost near identical to how the first gameplay trailer went down for Episode 1.

More like a rehash of Episode 1's reaction. Nothing is different except for some user-name changes here and there with a new updated graphical style of the Forum board. Still haven't seen enough reactions to judge the entire discussion though.

Edited by Mike Dawson
  • Thumbs Up 4

More like a...... REHASH! *dun dun duuuun*

Way ta make that joke JUST as I'm about to post Mike. D=

Anyway, one thing I wanna get off my chest, I'm really fucking sick of people bitching about.....

mini-boss enemies. Serious. They add a great dynamic to level progression and add variety to the levels and keeps each level fresh with challenges to break up the constant running and jumping. If people are completely ok with coming to complete halts to jump over platforms, I see no reason why having to fight a mini-boss (btw it IS a boss, the way Sonic bounces off the enemy is unique to boss enemies going by Ep 1) is all of a sudden a problem.

Edited by Black Spy

More like a...... REHASH! *dun dun duuuun*

Anyway, one thing I wanna get off my chest, I'm really fucking sick of people bitching about.....

mini-boss enemies. Serious. They add a great dynamic to level progression and add variety to the levels and keeps each level fresh with challenges to break up the constant running and jumping. If people are completely ok with coming to complete halts to jump over platforms, I see no reason why having to fight a mini-boss (btw it IS a boss, the way Sonic bounces off the enemy is unique to boss enemies going by Ep 1) is all of a sudden a problem.

If it's an enemy at the end of the stage that you have to fight as a legitimate boss, then great, but the footage makes it look like a common enemy that you'll see at least twice in the snow carnival. Having to all of a sudden halt the speed you worked so hard to gain to bash the shit out of a bear with your body just kind of sucks.