Awoo.

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Screens & Media Topic

Agent York

Why are throwbacks considered rehashes in this franchise? SEGA could have waited a bit since we already got two nostalgia filled games, but having an Aquatic Ruin throwback in the game isn't really gonna harm anything especially since the rest of the levels seem pretty original.

If it wasn't for the fact that 95% of EPisode I was rehash, I'm pretty sure people would be more accepting to the throwbacks that people are calling rehashes.

Edited by Zinos
  • Thumbs Up 3

Oh and I'm just copypasting my responce to the Tails co-op thing here from a different thread:

Tails only playable in co-op:

http://forums.sega.c...l=1#post7137210

It seems Sonic's stuck with Tails in single player too.

I'm a sad panda sad.png

[rant]...I couldn’t be more pissed off, and along with the rehashed from Episode I Episode II trailer it just made my views on Episode II even more pessimistic than prior to it’s announcement. It’s like Sonic Team likes to intentionally take what the classic fans want (classic styled game, Tails, etc.) in the loosest term possible.

I think I can safely say for a number of classic fans that many of us did not want Tails back simply so that he can follow Sonic a la Sonic 2. Tails hasn’t been playable since 06 (not counting the Sonic CD Taxman remake). Hell, NOBODY has been playable (sans Black Knight, which was a spinoff, and Rush Adventure, which only had Blaze; and even then she was more or less a reskin of Sonic’s gameplay) since 2006. And it looked like Episode II could had changed that. Just make Tails playable solo (as well as Sonic too). That’s all Sonic Team/Dimps needed to do. Hell, just look at the Sonic CD Taxman remake! It's not that hard!

But no, let’s instead restrict him into a co-op gameplay mode with him as player two and Sonic as player one. So in a way, the game in terms of playable characters is still Sola Sonica but with Tails in forced co-op gameplay.

And I won’t be surprised if Dimps had a hand in this. Having Tails limited to a co-op role pretty much gave them an excuse to not be creative with their level design, and instead just regurgitate the same crap level design we’ve seen since Sonic Rush….and based on the trailer that looks just about right.

Sometimes I even question whether Sega, Sonic Team, and/or Dimps even take a look at the source material they’re supposed to be studying (the Genesis Sonic games), let alone take the feedback of the classic fans seriously if at all.[/rant]

So let me get this straight; they can make Tails playable alone in a port of a game where he originally didn't appear at all within the context of the story, but not in a new game where his appearance in the game is one of the biggest selling points?

SEGA logic for you.

Oh and this. It's like Sega enjoys shooting itself in the foot for some twisted reason.

Edited by Zinos
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Advance 3: Episode 2
Advance 3

advance 3

*twitch*

The reason that Tails isn't playable on his own, or at the least isn't able to be switched to in the middle of the game is because they simply didn't think to do that, and that they designed the game around the team mechanic.

No offense, but this isn't exactly something that requires a degree in quantum mechanics to figure out.

"Hey, we're going to put Tails in this game. We've made a relatively big deal out of that fact.

Now, do we make it work like the 3 classic games that we keep harping on this being a successor to; or even like that port of Sonic CD that we just released and are saying this is a direct sequel to; or do we decide to implement a team mechanic that is so higly restricted that you can't even play as Tails for the first player?"

Edited by Gilda
  • Thumbs Up 7

@Spooky,

Remember in episode 1 he gained the weel feet animation when running down hills and slopes but didn't actually increase in speed. That could be what we're seeing again here.

Edited by Balding Spider
  • Thumbs Up 3

Tails not being playable on his own isn't a bad thing at all. He just made the game easier anyway.

Edited by HYDROCITEE
  • Thumbs Up 5

I think it's safe to say you've completely missed the point.

Tails was bigged up for this game a lot, and before then was what everyone wanted from E2 long before E1 was released. The co-op is an interesting feature, but Tails being multi-player/partner only is the last thing we expected.

Edited by SiLeNtDo0m
  • Thumbs Up 1

Tails was a sidekick in Sonic 2, and as a result he's a sidekick here. He wasn't playable on his own in the main game last time I checked.

It must have been a long time since you checked, because he was.

Haha I stand corrected XD And yeah it has been. Usually I just choose Sonic alone cuz as I said, all Tails does is make the game easier.

We're not going to argue about this. Fact of the matter is that many people expected, not just wanted, Tails to be a fully playable character due to all the hype Sega poured into his role. If Tails not being playable does not bother you then that's fine. But I don't want to see this topic devolve into another debate about "You guys shouldn't even be bothered by this," because yes, many people are legitimately going to be very annoyed that Sega intentionally made a certain hyped-up character not playable.

Alrighty, no worries. Well apart from that, I've nothing much else to say. I voiced what I wanted before, and there really is no point in beating a dead horse.

As said before, I'm dissapointed that Tails isn't a playble character alone, but I am absolutely thrilled with the idea of the tag team gameplay - Something I had missed since Sonic Advance 3 (my favourite out of the Advance trilogy)! =) Having Tag Team/Co-Op based gameplay makes up for that slightly in my honest opinion, BUT, I do wish they could have both characters playable on their owns in future possible episodes (& maybe include Knuckles &/or Amy as well)!

So erm, Hez over at Retro just pointed out that the Spindash sound effects are still played in the wrong order... Which leads me to believe that this 'new engine' of theirs is in-fact just a modified version of the Episode 1 engine.

Lol.

For those concerned about physics, check this out. I could be wrong...but I'm pretty sure that the change in Sonic's running animation suggests that he does, in fact, pick up speed when moving downhill.

5uh4dl.jpg

4v487a.jpg

2my811w.jpg

He's not gaining much, if anything at all. It's just like Episode 1. Sonic doesn't start out in wheel feet animation when landing from the air or uncurling from a dash pad. He goes through a few steps before the animation shifts to wheely legs. Notice he's uncurling from a dash panel from that loop. He takes a few steps then goes wheely legs. He's just fast enough after the pad that animation kicks in, but I doubt he's actually picking up any momentum.

You can see the same thing after the spring corridor section of the trailer. Sonic starts out at a running pace after hitting that last spring and then goes into wheely legs when he hits the slope. This means he was either going fast enough that the animation is displayed or once a-fucking-gain he's maintaining/increasing his speed when running up slopes. Either way that's stupid.

That first slope in the trailer where Sonic gains no additional speed is pretty much the smoking gun here in the first place. What bothers me the most is that they can improve so much, but then do nothing in the level design or the physics that looked like they gave a damn.

On another note, the wheely legs are static animation like the jump. No matter how fast you are going the animation plays the same speed. It's giving me all sorts of Knuckles Chaotix vibes...in a bad way as it looks awkward.

Edited by Tiller

So erm, Hez over at Retro just pointed out that the Spindash sound effects are still played in the wrong order... Which leads me to believe that this 'new engine' of theirs is in-fact just a modified version of the Episode 1 engine.

Lol.

I... uh... WHAT? How and why is that still the case?

Lol.

Sound effects are added to the trailers separately. For the same reason we thought classic Sonic would have a voice in Generations.

• Thumbs Up 2

Indeed. It is possible that they just grabbed a sound sample from E1 when they were putting together the trailer, because that could have been what they had on hand when they were putting to together.

Sound effects are added to the trailers separately. For the same reason we thought classic Sonic would have a voice in Generations.

While this is true, it's specifically the same error that we had in both actual gameplay and trailers for E1. It's possible that they're the gameplay clips with music muted and sound effects left in tact.

Reminds me when that Adabat Unleashed trailer switched up the "get ring" sound effect with the "lose rings" sound effect.

Maybe I'm the only one who thinks this but I don't like Sonic's new wheel o feet animation. Maybe it's because I got so use to seeing sonic with his arms/hands behind him (even in Sonic CD). Wheel o feet looked better in the classic days but just doesn't do it for me now.

They could have used some music from the game. Sonic Unleashed did, and so did Generations. Come on.

Maybe I'm the only one who thinks this but I don't like Sonic's new wheel o feet animation. Maybe it's because I got so use to seeing sonic with his arms/hands behind him (even in Sonic CD). Wheel o feet looked better in the classic days but just doesn't do it for me now.

They're trying to replicate the old animations, but they look awkward because Sonic is leaner.