Awoo.

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Screens & Media Topic

Agent York

The Bubbles appear for a grand total of one time in those 10 screenshots. And in what is presumably the first zone no less. And in that particular screenshot, the Bubbles were bypassed in favor of another route. It seems like the homing attack chains, if there are any, are few and far between.

Lol okay, i'll give you this one. But I don't think it's a stretch to expect more of them

1) We have no proof that the Homing Attack is in this game

What else would a diagonal row of bubbles do there?

2) Tails cannot use the Homing Attack without Sonic (Heroes), so if he's available for solo play, there we go.

I hope so, but since one of the screens indicate that the levels will be built around the move again, it'll probably feel a bit inapropriate, but fair enough point.

3) The one time a possible HA chain was shown, it was bypassed, so its possible we could decide to simply not press the HA button.

Yeah but it seems more like the player came from the lower path instead of the left.

@indigo

Meh, i'll pass. My money is put on the sensation of bouncing, which sonicteam proved to work in generations. Don't wanna give them the wrong idea by supporting stuff I actually don't support.

But don't worry much about it. I just came and give my honest 2 cents. Episode 1 was painful, but since my expectaions were pretty low, this one doesn't really bother me so much.

Edited by Djawed

Now I'm kinda concerned.

I won't have access to an Xbox later in the Summer, and all I'll have is my Netbook. Was this game confirmed to come out on Steam? And even if it does, I wonder if I can even run the thing. I can run Sonic Adventure DX PC on it fairly well enough with little skipping. Do you think it's doable..?

Yep, Steam confirmed and everything. It was confirmed the same day CD was released on Steam. The worst thing that could happen is you buy it on Steam, put all the graphical settings to a minimum and then download it later on your PC if it still runs like crap.

Yep, Steam confirmed and everything. It was confirmed the same day CD was released on Steam. The worst thing that could happen is you buy it on Steam, put all the graphical settings to a minimum and then download it later on your PC if it still runs like crap.

Alright. Here's hopin'!

I so excited <3

EDIT:

Sonic-4-Episode-2-Screenshots-6.jpg

GUYS

GUYS

GUYS

SLOPES AND HILLS

ROLLING PHYSICS

Edited by Indigo Montoya
  • Thumbs Up 8

I think there will be more Bubble chains too. I just don't think the chains will congest the entirety of the game to the point that 70% of the game is "HA HA HA HA HA" like people seem to believe will be the case. Since that one Bubble Chain seen on what is apparently a tutorial zone was bypassed, I'm more willing to believe that the only time HA chains will be present are when they only access secret areas, and are not the only way to get across.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think there will be more Bubble chains too. I just don't think the chains will congest the entirety of the game to the point that 70% of the game is "HA HA HA HA HA" like people seem to believe will be the case. Since that one Bubble Chain seen on what is apparently a tutorial zone was bypassed, I'm more willing to believe that the only time HA chains will be present are when they only access secret areas, and are not the only way to get across.

Why are people being led to believe that screen is from a tutorial level? The TV monitor is seen in another screenshot as well, albeit a bit cut off. I think that the overall level design will be an improvement from Episode I, but it isn't going to be anything special in the long run. If they get rid of the boosters though, that will be a god send. Homing attack chains aren't the worst form of level design in the world, but if Dimps have the level play itself for half the time again I can't see myself being too thrilled.

• Thumbs Up 3

Actually, Soap just brought up a good point. Where the hell are all the speed boosters? This is Sonic 4, dammit! I don't want to have to play the game for myself.

• Thumbs Up 5

Because of how this now creates graphical inconsistency between episodes (and probably physics too), this goes to show how they really should have just canceled whatever they had of Sonic 4 so far and have Sonic Team make an epic, retail disc release game called Sonic the Hedgehog 4, with 0% Dimps. In otherwords, pretend the laughable Episode I never existed, fire Dimps, and let Sonic Team handle everything.

Wouldn't this prove more that Sonic Team is the one who should stay out of Dimps' hair? Sonic 4 Episode 1 was "made with Sonic Team and Dimps" if I remember the old marketing crap right, and they said that Episode 2 was going to be more Dimps only. Episode 1 was forced homing attacks and nostalgia on a cheap budget, Episode 2 looks to be a decent budget and not rehash just for the sake of marketing. Hell, this might be why Generations 3DS turned out how it did, if they were trying to make this decent and then "hey we need you to make this too" and had it dropped on their laps.

Question. Why did this happen? Why did anyone think for a second that this is what we wanted Sonic 4 to be? If they could do what they've done for E2, why didn't they for E1? So fucking stupid.

They couldn't have done what they did for Episode 2 because it was probably made like this in reaction to the fan reaction to Episode 1, which in turn was pretty much some cheap download title with the name Sonic 4 slapped on it. I seriously doubt it was ever intended to be what they thought fans wanted Sonic 4 to be. They can't pull off the same name and nostalgia trick twice especially after Generations, thus they actually have to put work into it.

Not that any of this means much if they go about actual level design or gameplay all wrong.

Would it be getting my hopes up too high if I hoped that the speed boosters are all gone?

Sonic-4-Episode-2-Screenshots-6.jpg

GUYS

GUYS

GUYS

SLOPES AND HILLS

ROLLING PHYSICS

Hey, those hills seem to be in the background, so I would not get my hopes up to far yet.

Unless..........

LEVELS HAVE 3d DEPTH WITH THE PATHS??!!!!!!

ALL OF MY MONEY

• Thumbs Up 3

At this rate, as I said, I am assuming that's Little/Miracle Planet in the background. And I also assume that there will be a rematch race with Metal Sonic in Stardust Speedway. It would probably be the stage before the last one, or it would be the last one (with probably 2 bossfights- one with Metal, one with Eggman/Robotnik).

If I am indeed right, then this episode will not hold many more surprises for me, considering they've shown us 3 zones out of 4 (I'm assuming there will be a 5th "boss only" stage, similar to Egg Station Zone) and a few of the gimmicks and badniks we can expect to see.

Honestly, at this rate, the only things that will surprise me are if the physics are indeed accurate, if the level designs are good, and if the music is well-composed with good instrumentation to boot.

Well, and the main zone boss fights are also probably going to be surprising, judging off of Egg Serpentleaf.

Edited by Shade Vortex

Wouldn't this prove more that Sonic Team is the one who should stay out of Dimps' hair? Sonic 4 Episode 1 was "made with Sonic Team and Dimps" if I remember the old marketing crap right, and they said that Episode 2 was going to be more Dimps only. Episode 1 was forced homing attacks and nostalgia on a cheap budget, Episode 2 looks to be a decent budget and not rehash just for the sake of marketing. Hell, this might be why Generations 3DS turned out how it did, if they were trying to make this decent and then "hey we need you to make this too" and had it dropped on their laps.

Every Dimps Sonic game has been made by "Sonic Team in Cooperation with Dimps" as far as the official wording goes, and this is absolutely no different.

They couldn't have done what they did for Episode 2 because it was probably made like this in reaction to the fan reaction to Episode 1, which in turn was pretty much some cheap download title with the name Sonic 4 slapped on it. I seriously doubt it was ever intended to be what they thought fans wanted Sonic 4 to be. They can't pull off the same name and nostalgia trick twice especially after Generations, thus they actually have to put work into it.

Episode 1 had no reason to be such a turd in the first place. There's no reason it had to happen first in order for E2 to be any good. E1 was a misguided, moronically made cash-in game that SEGA thought they could get away with because it was 2D. The game may have sold well, but they know it didn't fly.

• Thumbs Up 3

Sonic 4 Episode 1 was also revealed with ten screenshots. Here's a breakdown

4/10 screens showed badniks.

3/10 showed the Homing Attack or the reticule

4/10 showed springs.

For comparison, here's the breakdown from today's screens.

5/10 show badniks.

0/10 show the homing attack or reticule

1/10 show springs

Sonic 4 Episode 1 was also revealed with ten screenshots. Here's a breakdown

4/10 screens showed badniks.

3/10 showed the Homing Attack or the reticule

4/10 showed springs.

For comparison, here's the breakdown from today's screens.

5/10 show badniks.

0/10 show the homing attack or reticule

1/10 show springs

That's really really pointless and means nothing. I could go and take ten screenshots of E1 right now that match what these E2 shots show. You can't judge what you can' see in screenshots.

And oh hey, this has to be the boss for Notquatic Ruin.

EggSerpentleaf.jpg

Even if the level is a rehash, we know the boss isn't. Unless you think it's the boss of some other stage, which doesn't seem likely.

And another thing: 2 stages with water! Notquatic Ruin and the ice level. :D

Edited by HYDROCITEE
  • Thumbs Up 3

Hey, those hills seem to be in the background, so I would not get my hopes up to far yet.

Unless..........

LEVELS HAVE 3d DEPTH WITH THE PATHS??!!!!!!

ALL OF MY MONEY

I don't know if they'll have 3D depth with the paths...but didn't they say that this game was going have 3D compatibility?

If Little Planet is around, does that mean Sonic 4 takes place a year after CD?

I don't know if they'll have 3D depth with the paths...but didn't they say that this game was going have 3D compatibility?

Iizuka said the game will be 3D. He seems to have meant the graphics.

Edited by Marcellove

I'm tempted to refer to the ice carnival stage as Rink Rink 2, because the whole downhill (presumably) start at night with northern lights and a lit-up background reminds me of Rink Rink:

2isi789.jpg

s4ep25.jpg

• Thumbs Up 8

I wonder what happens when you enter gold mode with the two of them. Somehow, I don't think Tails is going to get left behind like before.

Also, saw the Sonic 2 special stage coming from a mile away.

• Thumbs Up 2

I wonder what happens when you enter gold mode with the two of them. Somehow, I don't think Tails is going to get left behind like before.

Also, saw the Sonic 2 special stage coming from a mile away.

Holy fuck, I forgot about this! I really, really hope Tails isn't gimped.

This picture grabbed my interest the most out of all of them:

s4ep27.jpg

Something tells me that Sonic wouldn't have been able to jump that to that ledge covered with spikes by himself. Even with the underwater physics. And even if there was a spring down there, how high would sonic have to be to reach the top of the platform without tails? Maybe tails is necessary to complete this part now that he can grab you and swim you to the top?

And what are those huge (air?)bubbles that covered up the Steelion? is it like NSMBW where in some levels Mario could jump in these huge water bubbles and jump in them infinitely until he decided to get out from any direction?

But anyway, just something that caught my mind. And while the graphical quality is a huge improvement, I'll have to see gameplay footage to see if things like the physics, and music were improved also. So far though, me like.

Edited by Mephiles550

Haha! The release date AND cover art (except for the tiny one on the far left) have been removed.

Oh Microsoft, I love you! :D

Haha! The release date AND cover art (except for the tiny one on the far left) have been removed.

Oh Microsoft, I love you! biggrin.png

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! They really fucked up. Oh well. It feels like a big "fuck you" to the horrible hype machine SEGA makes for S4, so I'm only happy. :P

• Thumbs Up 5

And just think, Friday they were probably going to show us a lobster badnik and a purple spring.

Hopefully the surprise was a full trailer and release date this Friday, and concept art Fridays ended last week.

• Thumbs Up 3

Y'know the special stage reminds me of the one in 3D Blast on the Saturn.

And another thing~ what's up with Metal Sonic jacking Tails' rocket? Could he be a distraction while Eggman is getting/taking over Little Planet?

Y'know the special stage reminds me of the one in 3D Blast on the Saturn.

And another thing~ what's up with Metal Sonic jacking Tails' rocket? Could he be a distraction while Eggman is getting/taking over Little Planet?

Could be that Sonic and Tails were using the rocket to get to Little Death Egg Planet and Metal skyjacked it, and you have to chase him down to get back on it. Maybe you succeed and rocket to the fourth zone OR this is the second zone, you are meant to fail and continue on to the third stage (that sand oil field).