Awoo.

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Screens & Media Topic

Agent York

Omg, I can't believe I missed this yesterday. The levels look fantastic! I'm soooo happy that they managed to include a snow level without making it look generic. AWESOME. I even like what they've done with Aquatic Ruin.

Only trouble is I'm going to be incredibly disappointed if the gameplay sucks now. I'm really not liking the look of those Bubbles.

The link isn't working for me.. What's that in reply to?

It's not a reply to anyone. It's a wall post he made.

Try this link to his profile:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=708375950

Might be that he only shows wall posts to those who are on his friends list. Are you on his friends list?

• Thumbs Up 1

Ahhh where the real Sonic 4 ideas come from....

I don't quite understand, what he means by that...

Edited by ArtFenix

My jaw would drop if in a surprise twist they got Yuji Naka to help out with Episode 2.

Sonic 4 Ep 2 seems a very improved game, finally some genuine co-op in a Sonic game, can't wait to play this with my friends, anyway I want a gameplay video before judging

let's just hope to have Amy and Metal Sonic as secret playable characters and to have a 4 players co-op mode, but that's just a dream...

and please, at least 1 more zone and 4 acts per zone, with a Boss at the end of the fourth

the ability to reharsh the 4 zones of Ep. 1 in the new "style" would be cool too.

oh, most important thing...the right physics this time :P

• Thumbs Up 1

Digital Spy Article

The screenshots show Sonic and Tails in a variety of new environments inspired by former Sonic games.

Inspirations include Aquatic Ruin Zone and Oil Ocean Zone from Sonic 2, as well as Ice Cap Zone and Carnival Night Zone from Sonic 3.

I love how the media is not saying "inspired by former Sonic games", when that doesn't particularly seem to be the case this time around.

Also a few other sites have picked up on the screens. Nothing special of course, posting just cause.

Touch Arcade

Gamers Hell

VG247

Edited by HYDROCITEE

k4jnuu.jpg

Oh Ken, you so silly ~<3

Ah, so this explains how Episode 1 wound up being what it is...

• Thumbs Up 1

Ah, so this explains how Episode 1 wound up being what it is...

"KEEEN, look, all that alchohol you drank made you stick on the side of a wall!"

"Waaait, let's incorporate that into Sonic 4!"

...The End?

Edited by The Scarlet Spider
  • Thumbs Up 1

"KEEEN, look, all that alchohol you drank made you stick on the side of a wall!"

"Waaait, let's incorporate that into Sonic 4!"

...The End?

Oddly enough, when he saw the video tape of that incident, they were floored, therefore fixing the problem.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hm, nah, that's definitely their modern design. But the plane is definitely classic.

To me, they look a little small to be Modern, but it might just be the position. =U

Those screenshots look amazing HOLY HELL I take back what I said before o_o now we just need to seem some gameplay footage...

Also, people are still complaining about 'only four zones'? Have you guys all been spoilt by Sonic 2 or something? Four zones with three acts each is already technically as long as Sonic 3 was (6 zones/ 2 acts) and about the same length as Sonic & Knuckles, too. Okay, Sonic 1 had 6x3 acts, but still. Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles were full-price retail games back in the day, and people are complaining that they get a game of similar length game for a fraction of the price? Yes, times have changed, but still. I think some people are forgetting that this is a download game that's going to cost under a tenner.

Why couldn't it be 6 zones with 2 acts then? It just screams laziness, especially when they've made 2D Sonics with more than 4 zones such as Sonic Advance and Sonic Rush, there's no reason why this shouldn't have more zones, even if it meant less acts.

Also, this won't cost under $10, this will go for $15. It's not unreasonable to expect a longer game for almost $20, something that takes roughly 45 minutes to beat for that price is absurd. I've played a fair few downloadable games for $10 and under that occupied my time for far longer than Episode I did, putting the minimum amount of zones possible in the game was a lazy move by SEGA.

• Thumbs Up 6

k4jnuu.jpg

Oh Ken, you so silly ~<3

You know what? I don't freaking care if they get the ideas for the game from this! As long as the game is great, anything is fine by me.

Wow, I can actually say now that I have at least some interest in this now.

Not really digging the ruins stage as it seems like too much of an Aquatic Ruins rip off but the rest seem legit original levels. At least they've learnt their lesson and not just taken the Ep 1 route of: "Oh you guys remember up to Sonic 3 right? Well we did the bare minimum in level design, ripped off some of those levels and boss fight you remember and slapped a 4 on it therefore making it a sequel even though we put absolutely no effort into a story, but the 4 is there so you get the idea right? Enjoy! Ps. the guy we employed to do the physics didn't show up but I'm sure you won't notice."

With these screens I can see at least a few things better. For one the levels actually have had some thought put into them. Looks like we're gonna see a Snow/Carnival type zone (with possible water elements too) and sand/base zone.

The sight of Little planet in the background with what appears to be a recontructed Death Egg over it has more story in one screenshot than Ep1 did in its entirety. Seeing as this will follow Ep1 which takes place after Sonic CD, its possible that Eggman wanted to not only capture Little Planet again, but recontruct the Death Egg (and use Metal Sonic again to keep pesky Sonic away) This is a conceivable story that they could actually insert following Sonic 3&K but still before SA1.

Even with that little premise it still makes for a good story as far as the classics go. I mean "Robotnik bad, Sonic good" cut it for the first Sonic game, but in a series where the story increased a little with each title, reverting back to that simplistic setup was just a sorry excuse for laziness.

Sight of a few new ideas, the original Tornado and a possible story idea that intrigues me has me a little excited for this, but I won't get my hopes up just yet. It woul be awesome however if they gave Knuckles Chatotix a little cameo love though in the form of a boss battle or even the final battle using Metal Sonic's giant red form (titan?) from that game!!

Not sure what to think of Sonic and Tails' 69ing action though blink.png

Edited by The-Master-Board

Over at SEGAbits I dissected the screens to see what other little details could be found. Check it out! http://segabits.com/blog/2012/02/15/dissecting-the-sonic-4-episode-2-screens/

One bit was the act and stage progression:

sonic4.jpg

Could this be the proper order of the screens? If so, I love the connections between zones. Snow at the end of Aquatic Ruin and the beginning of the winter carnival.

• Thumbs Up 1