Awoo.

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Screens & Media Topic

Agent York

Gotta say, I kind of dig Aquatic Ruin 2.0. It's a blatant throwback, but its still way fresher than anything we saw in Episode 1. I like the nighttime shots of AR; it looks kind of....spooky tongue.png

• Thumbs Up 3

So Sonic and Tails have Super Special Deluxe Bro-Op Dual Crush moves?

m8n448.jpg

SORRY. I'M WEAK. Yeah, we don't know if it's good yet or how the physics are but I can't resist co-op.

Edited by Solly
  • Thumbs Up 3

Fuuu- Marcello beat me too it!

ScreenShot2012-02-14at72217PM.png?t=1329265383

Right near the Archie comic (which has a preview of this)

The game's been in development since last year( Feb. 2010). Starting to promote the game now seems cool.

Bleh, seeing these screens makes me wish that SEGA will one day release a 2D Sonic game with as many levels/worlds as, say, New Super Mario Bros. Wii or Donkey Kong Country Returns. I don't expect the level design to be even half as good, but to have a huge 2D Sonic game that can/must be beat in multiple sittings that's actually good would be splendid, especially with these visuals.

• Thumbs Up 7

Gotta say, I kind of dig Aquatic Ruin 2.0. It's a blatant throwback, but its still way fresher than anything we saw in Episode 1. I like the nighttime shots of AR; it looks kind of....spooky tongue.png

I agree. I dunno, maybe it's the colors looking "colder" in all of the pics, even the daytime ones, but despite it clearly being an Aquatic Ruin throwback, it feels pretty new.. I'm really liking it.

Also, I just noticed that Sonic's standing pose is the same derpy one it was in E1. You can see it in the monitor in the pic where Sonic and Tails are fist bumping.

Edited by Marcellove

Bleh, seeing these screens makes me wish that SEGA will one day release a 2D Sonic game with as many levels/worlds as, say, New Super Mario Bros. Wii or Donkey Kong Country Returns. I don't expect the level design to be even half as good, but to have a huge 2D Sonic game that can/must be beat in multiple sittings that's actually good would be splendid, especially with these visuals.

Iknorite? Heck, I wish for more Sonic games in general that take multiple sittings to complete.

Looks good, but there is no chance that Sega gets my attention until I see physics that function.

This, along with competent and engaging level design. It won't matter how good the physics are if the level design isn't up to snuff.

• Thumbs Up 2

Pros:

- Graphics

Cons:

-4 zones

-Bubbles as forced homing fodders to reach different paths/areas again.

-No way to play a character without the homing attack (which is something i was really looking forward to)

What's happening right now is kind of the opposite of episode 1. From People claiming it was shit based around the visuals alone, now I see people claim its gonna be the best thing ever because of the (and yes they are indeed gorgeous) visuals.

It's still too early but personally I find it kind of strange. I think not even the fans liked the way elements were built around the homing attack existing of only bubbles homing bridges. I am personally not a fan of homing attack in 2d at all so i'll pass on this one too. Glad this time it hasn't struck me so much since my expectations were rather low, but it also shows that the major support for classic sonic's gameplay in generations and sonic CD didn't affect s4's direction.

But yeah, the visuals look great. It seems visuals sell more than one would think.

Edited by Djawed

Am I the only one who keeps thinking of the Sunset Park boss when I look at the Metal Sonic rocket picture? laugh.png

My very first initial thought when I saw that image myself! Thank God I'm not the only one!

I would love a remix of that Sunset Park Zone Act 3 in that moment, particularly this:

• Thumbs Up 1

Pros:

- Graphics

Cons:

-4 zones

Being a downloadable title related to Episode 1, 4 Zones was probably based on consistency, and possibly for interconnectivity in the future with its predecessor to make it longer

-Bubbles as forced homing fodders to reach different areas again.

The Bubbles appear for a grand total of one time in those 10 screenshots. And in what is presumably the first zone no less. And in that particular screenshot, the Bubbles were bypassed in favor of another route. It seems like the homing attack chains, if there are any, are few and far between.

-No way to play a character without the homing attack (which is something i was really looking forward to)

1) We have no proof that the Homing Attack is in this game

2) Tails cannot use the Homing Attack without Sonic (Heroes), so if he's available for solo play, there we go.

3) The one time a possible HA chain was shown, it was bypassed, so its possible we could decide to simply not press the HA button.

• Thumbs Up 2

Iknorite? Heck, I wish for more Sonic games in general that take multiple sittings to complete.

I know, it just sucks because I know SEGA are capable of making such a game. Maybe I'm just spoiled, I'm not even bored of Generations yet and that took me 3 sittings to get to the end, challenges not included.

Just some food for thought:

s4ep23.jpg

No HA reticule is there. Of course it's entirely possible (Nay, most likely) that it's because Sonic is too low. I just thought I should share that, though.

This has been confirmed?

Yes. It's the the text in the overview. You can read it in the first post.

Would it be ridiculous to say that Episode 2 could simply feature a "Homing Attack On/Off" option in its settings? So that everyone could choose what to do?

• Thumbs Up 2

Isn't that arrow-shooting face from Marble Garden and not Aquatic Ruin?

Yeah. Which reminds me, I wonder if destroying it opens a new path?

Oh, that would be awesome to see.

Destroying the third eyes of those things always opened up pathways, raised platforms and sometimes made alternate routes accessible as well. I'd say it's a good bet that they'll reprise that role.

Isn't that arrow-shooting face from Marble Garden and not Aquatic Ruin?

Aquatic Ruin started the arrows hazard first.

Seeing as we have the Wheel from Marble Garden, I'm not surprised.

s4ep23.jpg

Reaction: Sonic performed the Homing Attack on the statue below, but didn't uncurl and can't use the HA again. Best of both worlds?

Yeah, shot in the dark, but that's what I thought when looking at it further. IIRC, the statues in MGZ did not shoot arrows unless hit, so that could have set the moment for that scene.

Edited by Professor Westwood V
  • Thumbs Up 1

Being a downloadable title related to Episode 1, 4 Zones was probably based on consistency, and possibly for interconnectivity in the future with its predecessor to make it longer.

It was a lazy design decision in the first episode, it's a lazy design decision now. The whole concept of making the game episodic is a rut to make money. Yes, I know SEGA is a business, but the least they owe us is one full game for full price, not half or 1/3rd of a game for the same price. Bionic Commando: Rearmed can take up to 3 to 5x as long as Episode I of Sonic 4 and that game was $10, and Nintendo have released considerably longer, more high quality platformers for the price of a retail game that comes with everything it should. Anything in-between is pure laziness on SEGA's part.

The Bubbles appear for a grand total of one time in those 10 screenshots. And in what is presumably the first zone no less. And in that particular screenshot, the Bubbles were bypassed in favor of another route. It seems like the homing attack chains, if there are any, are few and far between.

Okay, and? They're still in the screenshot, I highly doubt that Dimps would throw them in there for one level and just be like "Wait this is bad level design!" and not put them in any more. I'd be willing to bet any amount of money that there will be at least one string of Bubbles to homing attack in at least one act of every Zone.

1) We have no proof that the Homing Attack is in this game

2) Tails cannot use the Homing Attack without Sonic (Heroes), so if he's available for solo play, there we go.

3) The one time a possible HA chain was shown, it was bypassed, so its possible we could decide to simply not press the HA button.

Bubble Chains = Homing attack. That was they're original purpose, there's no reason to believe that just because we haven't actually seen it that it won't be in the game. By your logic, there's no reason to believe that the spin-dash and spin attack won't be in the game either.

• Thumbs Up 2

Heh, this IS a throwback to CD.

screenlg8.jpg

Where do you fight Metal Sonic in CD? Am amusement park. Where do you fight him now? Another amusement park. This only clicked cause my desktop is the art from that awesome PS3 theme.

• Thumbs Up 2

Now I'm kinda concerned.

I won't have access to an Xbox later in the Summer, and all I'll have is my Netbook. Was this game confirmed to come out on Steam? And even if it does, I wonder if I can even run the thing. I can run Sonic Adventure DX PC on it fairly well enough with little skipping. Do you think it's doable..?