Awoo.

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Screens & Media Topic

Agent York

That's really weird. Was Ken really thinking this whole time that when we said we wanted to play as Tails in the single player mode, that we wanted Tails solo? Because I know thats never what I meant.

I totally get that the game is built on the CPU controlled player following the main player mechanic, and that it would be impossible to have Sonic solo or Tails solo. That's why I was so confused whenever the community team told us "no Tails", because it should be 100% possible to have Tails in the lead and Sonic as the CPU. I mean, the co-op mode is basically this.

---

It's like if you and a friend both have drivers licenses, and you go on a road trip, and it's assumed that if you're driving then your friend will be in the passenger seat. But if you're friend is driving, suddenly it means that you won't be in the car and your friend is going on the trip alone.

• Thumbs Up 6

Ladies and Gentleniks...

Link.

I for one am thrilled to hear this. Here's hoping we can get this to happen! Let your voice be heard!

Great and all, But whats this gotta do with screenshots or videos?

Best suited for another thread, don't you think?

• Thumbs Up 1

Does this mean a Ep2 dlc/ patch with tails leading is possible or is this feedback for Ep3.

Does this mean a Ep2 dlc/ patch with tails leading is possible or is this feedback for Ep3.

A patch for Tails leading first and foremost, but whatever feedback there is from E2 will be used fro E3 too.

*Reads Ken's comment*

Is-this-a-head-desk-head-table-or-head-food-eric-cartman-24771745-480-325.png

Seriously? It's possible for Tails to be lead and Ken only realises now that we want that. I hope it is patched in, but...damn... There are just no words for this stupidity.

• Thumbs Up 6

Seriously? It's possible for Tails to be lead and Ken only realises now that we want that. I hope it is patched in, but...damn... There are just no words for this stupidity.

Moreover, it sounds like only Ken is realising this. Such an unorthodox and complicated concept seems to have gone right over the heads of Sonic Team and Dimps.

Edited by Blue Blood

Moreover, it sounds like only Ken is realising this. Such an unorthodox and complicated concept seems to have gone right over the heads of Sonic Team and Dimps.

Wait, I actually thought many people wanted Tails playable ALONE as an extra instead of Tails AND Sonic together......

.. I'll go sit in the corner now.

*puts on Dunce cone hat*

(EDIT: I always wanted Tails & Sonic playability for Ep2 since the game is revolving around co-op based gameplay anyway.)

Edited by Hyper-Shan

• Thumbs Up 8

Wait, I actually thought many people wanted Tails playable ALONE as an extra instead of Tails AND Sonic together......

.. I'll go sit in the corner now.

*puts on Dunce cone hat*

• Thumbs Up 2

Good grief, u mad? tongue.png

Technological limitations have nothing to do with it. The fact that none of the levels were designed around individual characters was a deliberate move. It's not that they couldn't, but didn't want to. That, and I don't think that they fully understood how important alternate characters were to us up until this point. I'm sure they know it now, though. It's the same reason why there isn't any spin-dash in 3D Sonic anymore. It's not that they can't, but they won't, and don't know how important it is to the collective fanbase... because more often than not, you'll find fans praising the newer 3D games than actually criticizing it like we do over here. As for Solo Sonica? That's getting a ton of flack over at the SEGA Forums now, where they pay the most attention.

That being said, I think they got the picture about wanting to play as characters individually now, but I understand the point that it isn't feasible to change that.

Ok, but as a sequel to a game that did this in the first place, logic would dictate that this game would have the same feature. Why take away a feature from a previous game? To force some stupid gimmick down our throats? It just feels like a step down, and is honestly unneeded, I understand they wanted to market "The return of Tails" but I would appreciated it if they didn't take away his playability just for the sake of this gimmick, its annoying, and honestly just a bad design choice.

• Thumbs Up 1

"We would have to re-build the whole levels"? That was the same excuse they used for why they couldn't fix the physics in Episode 1.

You know, maybe the problem isn't the speed boosters nor the physics. I think the problem is Dimps has shitty level designers who need to be fired at once. Why do their games have so many bottomless pits? Oh well, at least you have Tails to fly Sonic over them! Let's also design the levels so you're forced to use the co-op moves. It's not like we want to give the player any freedom or anything!

This is the problem with all modern Sonic games, even the good ones. You have the play the games the way the designers want you to play them. You have to stay on this same narrow corridor, you have to watch (not play) this automated sequence of Sonic bouncing off of conveniently placed springs (and you can't even control Sonic in midair when bouncing off of them), and you always have to push a specific series of button prompts in order to proceed every ten seconds.

Just get new level designers.

Ok, but as a sequel to a game that did this in the first place, logic would dictate that this game would have the same feature. Why take away a feature from a previous game? To force some stupid gimmick down our throats? It just feels like a step down, and is honestly unneeded, I understand they wanted to market "The return of Tails" but I would appreciated it if they didn't take away his playability just for the sake of this gimmick, its annoying, and honestly just a bad design choice.

That's kind of your opinion, bronik. Chaotix did the same thing, and while I loathe that game, a ton of others do... and in Sonic 4's case, it's going to do it much better. I'm looking forward to the tag-team action in this one.

And why take away a feature from a previous game? Well, after years upon years of "SONIC'S FRIENDS SUCK" being rammed down their throats, I think they're a little justified in being slow and gradual about this. And again I raise this point - they've recently been getting plenty of flack for the same thing you're complaining about right now. It's been brought to their attention, so I seriously doubt that it's falling on deaf ears at this point.

SEGA's being kind of slow and playing it safe (which not even I like to hear), but taking their financial situation and history into account, I think this should be expected.

Just get new level designers.

Perform a Hard Reset. tongue.png

Edited by Indigo Rush

Being "designed around co-op" is stupid anyway. So far they've put in mounds of snow which require the 69 dash and have walls too high for Sonic to jump. Just don't put in mounds of snow and place a spring under the walls. I've seen other stuff like Tails flying/swimming Sonic through trap things, but thats just poor level design IMO.

Having Tails lead would be so enoyable. So please do it SEGA.

Remember though that due to the forced co-op of Ep2, having Tails lead would not change the gameplay – unless Tails moves more slowly compared to when controlling Sonic etc. So whilst this would be a nice gesture by SEGA, it would be a very ‘cheap’ move really.

Having Tails lead would be so enoyable. So please do it SEGA.

Remember though that due to the forced co-op of Ep2, having Tails lead would not change the gameplay – unless Tails moves more slowly compared to when controlling Sonic etc. So whilst this would be a nice gesture by SEGA, it would be a very ‘cheap’ move really.

I dunno, Sonic's homing attack is used very prominently in Sonic 4. True that Tails would just end up flying over Bubble chains, but that's actually quite a change in pace. Sonic just dashes right through them, but Tails takes a little more time and has to dodge them. Good gravy, when you look at it like that... it makes the Bubble chains look well thought out and planned. *wags fingers over lips and jumps out of 2-story window*

Watch them pull some bullshit and replace Tails's flying ability with the homing attack when he's in the lead.

Remember, it's Dimps, you know they'll do some shit like that.

• Thumbs Up 1

I dunno, Sonic's homing attack is used very prominently in Sonic 4. True that Tails would just end up flying over Bubble chains, but that's actually quite a change in pace. Sonic just dashes right through them, but Tails takes a little more time and has to dodge them. Good gravy, when you look at it like that... it makes the Bubble chains look well thought out and planned. *wags fingers over lips and jumps out of 2-story window*

Wouldn't a more decent solution be to just get rid of those pointless Bubble chains?

• Thumbs Up 2

Wouldn't a more decent solution be to just get rid of those pointless Bubble chains?

*sigh*

It's not like you're the first person to ever say this. No freakin' duh. But re-hauling the entire level design isn't exactly something they're going to do in this game.

Edited by Indigo Rush

Watch them pull some bullshit and replace Tails's flying ability with the homing attack when he's in the lead.

Remember, it's Dimps, you know they'll do some shit like that.

Well tails did have the homing attack in Sonic heroes

Well tails did have the homing attack in Sonic heroes

No that was an attack/shot called Thunder Shoot. Tails threw Sonic and Knuckles rather than himself at enemies.

Edited by KazunaRei
  • Thumbs Up 1

No that was an attack/shot called Thunder Shoot. Tails threw Sonic and Knuckles rather than himself at enemies.

I think he's refferring to when you where Sonic or Knickles, Tails would sometimes homing attack when you were near an enemy.

EDIT: Knickles huh? Well that's a new one.

Edited by Nintendoga

Maybe next time they should try making it good to begin with.

And again I reiterate, no duh. :P

Edited by Indigo Rush