Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games

Sami

Day 22 - Favorite Cutscene

Opening Cutscene from Sonic Unleashed

Yeah, I know you all saw this coming and that I'm not the most original person for choosing it, but the number of fucks I'm currently giving for that is a number I like to call "zero."

Anywho, this intro was freaking fantastic. Everything about it was. The spectacular view in space, the incredibly smooth and beautiful movements that all flowed into each other so perfectly. Seeing Sonic just duck, attack, and boost through those robots just blew my mind. This cutscene was amazing when it came out and it still is to this day.

We even get to see him go Super Sonic on Eggman's ass.. IN HD! And it was absolutely glorious.

This scene was filled with so much action! So many explosions! So much flawless animation! It was so intense and got you into the mood of the game!

This is what I call an absolutely perfect cuts-

tumblr_lyna7xyRDS1qdtw9eo1_500.gif

God damn it..

• Thumbs Up 4

I know it's already been said but I really love this intro to melee. 64 and brawl had a cool intro but it was nothing like melee. I like the part in the beginning where mario is about to be released out of his trophy state then the screen cuts to black with "Nintendo's all-stars in" it looked really cool and I liked that. It also referenced different moments in nintendo's history which I thought was cool. Back in the day when I first played melee I would watch this intro from beginning to end. The smash series always had cool intros but melee was the best to me.

Day 22: Favorite Cinematic

Starting 1:00 in.

Say what you will about Final Fantasy XIII, but its cutscenes were gorgeous and often featured some of the most spectacular production values I've ever seen in a video game. The action in this scene is fast-paced, the visuals are great, and Lightning is at her most bad@$$ in the entire game here. Not to mention we get to see all of the eidolons in FMV form. And it's completely awesome.

Edited by The T-Man
  • Thumbs Up 1

DAY 22 - YOUR FAVORITE CUTSCENE FROM A GAME

I'm not going to post it, but it's the final cutscene of Final Fantasy XIII. After 50 hours of seeing these characters running around, constantly questioning what they're supposed to be doing and arguing about it, after experiencing some character development along the way, and after finally being able to tolerate Vanille's voice, it all ended. The way it ended didn't quite make sense to me (CRYSTALS!!!), but I was cool with it. I hate endings where you don't get to see the "Epilogue", of sorts, everyone just sorta stands around and goes "Yeah, we did that." in XIII's ending, I was just so relieved it was over. Not to say I didn't like XIII (as recent posts would indicate, I do like it), but man it was getting tedious at that point.

Day 22: Favorite Cinematic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYtpPP27UTo

AW YEAH. Man I don't even think I have to describe this one. This cutscene was so friggin' awesome. I love the fact that they edited the music to sync up with the scene too. I think the music is actually what makes me enjoy this one as much as I did. <3 Metal Sonic facepalm is lols too. xD

Honorable mentions:

- Mario Power Tennis Blooper Reel

I... I just lol that there's actually Mario bloopers. xD I looooooove this, hahaa.

Any cutscene from Sonic Colours. I love 'em all. :3

• Thumbs Up 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMLLtnrKZig

I couldn't not choose this, but I think the rest of you have this covered already...

It was an amazing cutscene - it has Super Sonic, exploding planets, massive robot armies in space... And Eggman wins.

The CG is the best CG in Sonic history. Watching this cutscene in 1080p on a large TV is heavenly.

Apart from Eggman's awesome victory, this is what Sonic's all about. Running with total control over ridiculously high speeds, taking on Eggman's entire fleet without any help whatsoever...

This is Sonic as you truly imagined it.

Day 22 I'm not gonna be an asshole and put this in a spoiler, for the 3 or 4 people who haven't play Portal 2 yet.

Day 22 Wheatley Takes Over

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nfPczitHe4&feature=related

There are so many things I love about this cutscene.

The "Cake is here" trap, The dud Torrents coming in and Wheatley falling through the nuerotoxin gas, followed by Glados's "I hate you so much." Then all leading up to the hilarious "DO IT, DON'T DO IT!" arguement between Glados and Wheatley when you press the stalemate button.

Then things get serious, Glados's scream made me cringe, cause it sounded so life-like, and when Wheatley over takes the base I truly thought the game was done. Followed by an immediate "Uh-oh" When the room turns red, then a "Oh you have to be fucking kidding me" When Wheatley becomes corrupted.

Then Glados comes out as a Potato (...) and spills the beans that Wheatley was actually programmed to be a moron, a tumor of some sorts for Glados to become less dangerous and more idiotic. This does two things, one encourages Wheatley to try to sound smarter throughout the game ( and hilariously fucking up at it too), and him becoming infuriated with us, and smashes Chell and Glados down into the bottom pits of old Aperture.

This scene had everything I wanted in a cutscene, comedy, suspense, good writing, and character development. It achieved all of these, while suiting up for the game's second half.

Edited by Mike Dawson

My favourite cinematic by far is the intro cinematic for Kingdom Hearts II.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMM0eR3Thxc

I was so stunned by the quality, fluidity and overall presention of this cinematic that I still get the shivers when I watch it. It is absolutely stunning, not to mention the song by Utada Hikaru, Sanctuary, is just incredible. This cinematic basically gives a sort of basic summary (very basic) of the main events that transpired in Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories, and really helps to set the tone for the rest of the game. I couldn't help but just stare in awe shen I first saw it thinking, "Is the rest of the game gonna be this awesome?"

• Thumbs Up 4

Day 22 - Favorite Cinematic

Part of me just wants to say 'Uncharted *insert number here* because they are all quite brilliant.

Theres quite a lot I could say, some are quite obvious, like some of the Final Fantasy cut scene's such as when Weapon attacks or the FF13 cut scene (which has already been mentioned).

I've seen so many reat cut scenes that I'm not sure if I can bring myself to name one that I could safely say 'yes this is my favourite' So I'm going to pick some that have really stood out for me that I've gone 'wow' or ended up watching over and over again.

Twisted Metal World Tour

If I had to pick one, I'd probably go for either the intro or Mr Grimms ending. Twisted Metal's cut scenes are very basic, barely any annimation, but they fit so well with the game. Dark, twisted, funny and sometimes gross.

Each ending is really different to the other, however most usually end up with the 'winner' being tricked by Calypso and suffering a fate worse than death, only one ending can really be considered 'good'. Some endings end up with Calypso being punished for his wicked ways, but almost all of them are dark and twisted in some way.

I think my favourite is Mr Grimms, not sure why, probably because it depicts normal being going crazy instead of eccentrics which is what the game has been so far.

Ridge Racer Type 4

Ridge Racer Type 4 has only 1 cut scene in the whole game... the intro... and my god is it glorious, It's something that makes you want to play the game, even if you're not a fan of racing games, you hear this and you just want to play the game. The roar of the car engins, how it then cuts to the girl walking to the track... just a thing of beauty.

Then the game pulls it's ace, when you make it to the final race a remixed version of this intro plays whilst your driving and it hits you OMG I'M PLAYING THE INTRO!

Honorable mentions

Final Fantasy 8: The big exploding robot!

In final fantasy 8 theres a cut scene which is only a few seconds long... but it's one of the best in the game. What happens is that you defeat a robot, it then starts to self destruct.... and oh boy does it do that!

Ghostbusters The Game Intro

No matter how many times I watch this... I love it. just the nostalgia trip and how it seems to be a near perfect start to a third film... when it cuts to the ghostbusters logo, you just want the ghost to step out and hold up 3 fingers.

• Thumbs Up 3

Day 22 - Favorite cutscene

Destiny of Ridley and Samus from Super Smash Bros. Brawl - I loved Brawl's cutscenes moreso than pretty much every other game ever. They were filled to the brim with fan service (unlike the actual gameplay of the Subspace Emissary, bland enemies and locations and all) and fun partnerships among the many mascots. Watching Samus and Pikachu was a definite highlight because of how contrasting their respective franchises are. Samus the badass bounty hunter gets paired up with the cutest little squeaky toy imaginable. And then BAM. Ridley swoops in and smacks Samus against a wall. I like this cutscene because it does a good job of showing the sinister side of Ridley; rather than just being a mindless beast, you could tell he has it out for Samus personally. It's short, simple, enjoyable, and unlike many modern games, doesn't bore me with complicated exposition and dialogue. On top of this, I think Ridley's design here is the coolest he's ever looked. I love ALL the cutscenes in this game, but my love for Samus and Ridley made this a particular favorite.

Runners Up:

Dancing with the villain from Rayman Origins - I wouldn't call this one of the best, but it is a recent one that popped into my head. You've caught the bad guy, and he can't run at the moment. So what does he do? A disco dance. All the more hilarious is the fact that Rayman gets distracted by it and actually joins in, leading to a very fun little number that ends with the villain dashing away while you stand there posing.

Opening of Sonic Unleashed - DAMN.

Edited by Gregzilla14
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have no bloody idea. I mean, I've mentioned Heroe's Chaotix cutscenes to death, and also Dingodile's Twinsanity cutscene...

Hmm...about something a lit more unusual...I know! While this cutscene may not be hilarious or even that epic, I remember it fondly for the tone it managed to set for the rest of the game, as well as the beautiful music that plays during it. I present;

Ly's Gift [Rayman 2]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmypLdnmXBg

Skip to 8:14, this is honestly the best quality I can find (even if there is commentary over it).

...Also it's totally expository and narmy. :3

Okay so these might be a bit of a stretch, so just to be safe I'll include one that appears in game as well!

and

I mean seriously, I'd pay money to watch this if it was a real thing. I am a huge Megaman fan, huge. When these trailers came out I was really quite overjoyed because I mean seriously...look at them. The only thing is these are trailers and thus I have no clue if they fit in the specifications of a game cinematic, and as of yet I have no clue if either of them are used at all in the game so maybe they are more than just trailers and simply might be the opening teaser/cinematic. I also really like it 'cause the added in Ferham and her design is badass.

So in the event that they aren't, and that they don't count:

(sorry that was the best quality I could find haha)

The first transformation in ZX as Aile. I really love the ZX/ZXA games guys, a lot. I also thought in both cases Aile and Ashe were cooler than their male counterparts because Vent and Grey got really corny/annoying. Especially Vent. Anyway, this was cool for me because I started as Aile first so this was like "Holy crap you can play as a girl Megaman" (which in itself is kinda funny) and then the fact that after the Zero series this one was a throwback to X was also cool. While I really like Zero (especially in his series), in ZX I actually prefer Model X to the other models. The other part I liked was that there was a brief little animation too!

It was just cool. Now I wanna play through this game again lol.

Edit: Sorry about the links not working there on the last vid, its just that even typing a youtube link in full seems to count it as media and won't let me post more.

Edit2: Think I got around it.

Edited by Marina
  • Thumbs Up 2

It's been 21 days that I've gone without mentioning Sonic. Which I'm kind of proud of because I have terrible hipster tendencies. I came close to choosing Eggman for my favorite antagonist, but oh god today I really had a tough time not choosing the Sonic CD opening today. The American one, mind you, not the disgusting Japanese one that manages to be even cheesier than the other almost to the point of being sickening. BUT I'm not going to talk about that because lol Sonic.

Bad Ending (Cave Story)

Spoilers? Maybe? Has anyone actually not already played this?

I don't feel like I can really explain well why I love this. It's just, everything comes together so well. Not only in this scene, but in the whole game leading up to it. Meeting the adorable little Mimiga fuckers, seeing how horrible the red flowers are, seeing King's sacrifice, working so hard to save Curly and honestly just how can you not love Professor Booster? And then you let it all go to waste. It feels terrible, you save yourself and Kazuma but let everyone on the island be murdered or tortured and turned into a rabid monster to set loose upon the world where even more people get torn apart. And the line especially drives it home, "Either way, it made no difference to you." Together with the music and the beautiful, beautiful, beautiful scenery it's just such a great moment. It's worth the time to make sure to watch this scene each time I play the game.

And if you HAVEN'T NOTICED I love the design of this area. I don't understand how, because no other location in a video game gives me such a sense of actually being there, but this really does. The clouds rushing by paint such a perfect feeling of speed and I can completely imagine how strong the wind is, and the cool tones of the colors on top of that genuinely make me feel chilly just thinking of it the height. And that too: the sense of height is grand. It's such a somber, beautiful place. I think another big factor is just the openness. You been trapped in caves the entire game, navigating labyrinthine, claustrophobic places, and finally to see the open sky with its fresh, cool air, it's wonderful. I just can't explain how much I adore it and actually I kind of regret not choosing it as my favorite location a while back.

Edited by The Pyro
  • Thumbs Up 3

Do fanmade cutscenes count, like say, the Touhou Bad Apple viral video? No? Ah, never mind then...

There are WAY too many cutscenes to choose from, MGS: Twin Snakes has over the top Matrix-esque like cutscenes that are simply just awesome to watch.

One cutscene in particular involves Solid Snake jumping onto a missile fired by a Hind, BACK FLIPPING OFF said missile, and then shooting down Liquid while still in the air. Oh, and don't get me started on Gray Fox cutting bullets in half with his sword or the final shot between Snake and Sniper Wolf. Cutscene Power to the Max indeed...

Also, I think we all know

their
in the Soniek games. The big damn intros to Unleashed and Sonic CD are definitely my favorite in the franchise, BUT, not quite my favorite of all time...

My choice is but a nostalgic one...

The Ending (with the Credits) to The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Now I'll spoil tag so I'm not going to spoil much for the 5 poor unfortunate souls who somehow managed to avoid playing this hallmark in video game history (either buy a 3DS or get the original off Ebay or the Virtual Console for gods sake!).

After striking a surprisingly gruesome blow to the Ganon's FACE (there's Blood and everything! This game; E-Rated? Not in my uncensored Cartridge it isn't tongue.png), Ganon is finally sealed away. You go up to Zelda, and she's all "We showed that creep the real super power of teamwork", and Link is all like "..." and my dad watching is like all "Y U NO USEFUL AND THROW SWORD BACK AT US DURING BATTLE?!"

So anyway, you hand the Ocarina of Time back to Zelda and she then promises to send you back to your childhood (and to erase your memory so we don't remember ANYTHING that happened in this game? I'm a little foggy on the details), and so we get a credits video panning through out the Hyrule you just saved, complete with a really (IMO) beautifully composed ending theme by Koji Kondo (as if the rest of the Soundtrack wasn't ALREADY made of win...).

The real kicker however, is the godly amounts of nostalgia from this being the very first video game I have ever played and beaten in my life. I swear, whenever I hear the Zelda Lullaby part of the credits medley come on, the credits then become a Tearjerker. So many childhood memories invoked, I honestly don't think I'll ever get another game that'll make me feel the same way. I really just love Zelda's lullaby SO MUCH! Shame on me for not knowing how to play the entire thing on the piano after all these years...

tl;dr: Revisiting your earliest childhood memories cause manly tears to be shed.

For a runner up, HOW HAS NOBODY MENTIONED THIS!

The DK Rap is ripe with swag, I'm horribly disappointed at the lack of it's mention. Some may call it narm, I call it nostalgic fun. On that note, I don't think I need to say anything more about this great way to start off Donkey Kong 64...Well, other than;

COME ON CRANKY, TAKE IT TO THE FRIDGE!

W-W-WALNUTS, PEANUTS, PINEAPPLE SMELLS,

UH!

GRAPES, MELLONS, ORANGES, AND SOME COCONUT SHELLS.

AHH YEAH! cool.png

• Thumbs Up 6

Day #22 - Favourite Cinematic

Hmm... the first things that come to mind are the

and a couple of scenes from Shenmue (especially the moment when you
)... but I've already brought those up in this topic and don't want to repeat myself. Covskin already mentioned http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYlC0ZtNUtg's intro... and apparently we all know how awesome the
is... so I guess that leaves me with this:

I could have chosen just about any scene from Segagaga and said it was one of my favourites, but I've decided to go with the intro just because it makes me smile and sums up the basic gist of the game's story: It's 2025 and SEGA controls 3% of the market share. Following the guidance of their hyper-intelligent computer, the TeraDrive, they decide it's time to launch project Segagaga... which basically involves plucking a couple of kids off the street and letting them play CEO for the next three years with SEGA's limited budget in an attempt to overthrow the evil Dogma corporation and put some originality back into the videogame industry.

The reason I love the game is for the sake of just how much fan service is thrown in, and it really shines through in the cutscenes... which are not only beautifully-animated, but packed full of so many glorious SEGA references. From little sound effects to the music to some very familiar faces...

2r6nvqo.jpg

Asides from the game developers you'll be interacting with (who make for some brilliant scenes on their own), you also bump into a lot of SEGA's characters along the way... one scene I was always fond of is where you meet Alex Kidd, who's been

since Sonic stole his spot as SEGA's mascot after he failed to take on Mario back in the day. There's plenty more shoutouts like this scattered through the game, and it just makes me sad that I don't know enough Japanese to understand everything that goes on as I'm sure there's a lot of amazing dialogue I'm missing out on. It's a crying shame there was never an English version, although last I heard, the fan-translation was still in the works... *crosses fingers*
  • Thumbs Up 3

SUPER MARIO GALAXY INTRO

This one's been explained really well already, but still. It actually makes me think something has actually HAPPENED in the Mushroom Kingdom, even if I still couldn't give less of a shit about Peach. Seeing such a happy celebration on a holiday go to hell in such a normally silly world gives the opening a bit more "oomph", as if Bowser finally got serious.

UNLEASHED INTRO

Just. Awesome.

It's both Sonic and Eggman at their most badass, and it's full of beautiful CG. The fast-paced music, the huge battle, the chase to Eggman's laser, it's all so awesome. This is what I always felt like a Sonic movie should have in it.

Sonic Colors Opening (Sonic Colors)

-trollface beyond capacity- Awww yeaaah. I loved it because instead of a long talking cutscene, we got a awesome CGI opening that showed how the Wisp powers worked while giving us an epic song. Not that the Unleashed opening was bad (Because it was friggin' beautiful.) I just like this one a bit better. Come at me bros.

• Thumbs Up 4

Day 22 - Favourite Cinematics

Can't think of anything really. I'm kind of lazy today.. There's a lot, but for now I'll just go with Black Knight's opening. I think it really fit to the series. There was comedy with the chili dog and Sonic being a cool bastard by fighting everyone. Really enjoyed that scene.

Others would be the Excalibur transformation. That has to be my favorite Super transformation scene in the series.

SA2's Hero opening. I explained why I loved that on another day. It just shows Sonic's coolnes off so much.

Then the cutscene before the Sonic Shadow fight. I loved the little conversation between the two. Sonic was really cool to me.

I'd take stuff from Metal Gear, but like I said today I'm kinda lazy and Sonic's can be explained faster.

Edited by MarcelloF
  • Thumbs Up 1

Day 22 - WHATS YO FAVORITE CINEMATICS IN VIDYA

I don't think many people will like this example.

Final Fantasy XIII - Opening Cutscene

BBCode fail aside, FFXIII had one of the most groundbreaking looking cutscenes I've ever seen. Either that, or the game felt like one loooong cutscene in and of itself. But still, the hard work Squeenix put into its CGI department for this game, how well they managed to pull this off for the first time (for me anyway), and how they were able to bring the Final Fantasy franchise into an HD medium was beyond impressive for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

DAY 22 SCREW THIS, THIS IS LITERALLY THE THIRD TIME I'VE RETYPED THIS

MEGA MAN 2 INTRO

A little background on the story, pan up a building to Mega Man, with awesome music playing.

While the intro to Mega Man 2 is simple and short, it's also endearing and iconic. Its simplicity just gets the story told and slips you into the guise of Mega Man pretty quickly, so you can get to fighting the 8 robot masters.

• Thumbs Up 3

Day 23 - Favorite Song/Track from a Video Game

Why specifically a song or a track and not a soundtrack as a whole? For one there's the fact that such a topic existed only recently, but there's also the fact that it's easy to pin down a game which overall has great general production values, but it takes more effort and thought to figure out what significant one stands above the rest, and for what reasons.

Oh man... this one's gonna drive me nuts.

I think I know which one it's gonna be... but I really need to find a way to justify it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 23 - Favorite Song/Track from a Video Game

Twinsanity Island (Crash Twinsanity)

As some of you may know, Crash Twinsanity is my favorite Crash game for many reasons. The gameplay is fun, the voice-acting is also hilarious (Mostly Dr. Neo Cortex, who was voiced by Lex Lang.) The soundtrack is also out-standing, it's all made by a special group that doesn't use any instruments, everything you hear in the entire soundtrack is made by their mouths! (and stuff like that). I think this song stands out as the best though, it's so catchy!

Honorable Mentions

Main Theme (Super Mario 3D Land)

I just love this song, I think it really fits with the game as well. All the music in SM3DL is amazing, but this one just stands out.

Reach for the Stars (Sonic Colors)

Oh yes, I'm making two Sonic Colors related posts in a row, you know who else likes making two Sonic Colors related posts in a row? My MOM! (LolEnoughRegularShowReferences.) But anyways, I adore this song, I think it really fits with Sonic Colors. All of Sonic Colors songs aren't bad, some of them are my favorites, but this one stands above all of the other ones. Favorite song from a videogame.

Edited by The Scarlet Spider
  • Thumbs Up 1

DAY 23

I LOVE this song. Everytime I listen to it, it lifts my spirits up.

As unfitting as this game's soundtrack is, I still think this is one of the best songs in Sonic history.

And the game is awesome so shut up >:U

EDIT: HOW DID I FORGET THIS?

Edited by Solkia
  • Thumbs Up 4

Oh hey guys, it's Okami again. Did you think I forgot about it?

This song man.......The Sun Rises is the epitome of epic in Video Games. I mean, it's the Final Boss music, and that's generally the best song in the game, but THIS! It's literally a song that screams "Epic!". It plays when Ammy, after Issun gets people to believe in her again, gets her full god powers back, and Yami is now FUCKED! I mean, it's just too epic for words.

• Thumbs Up 1