Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games

Sami

Day 20 - Favorite Side Character

480px-Dixiekong.png

Dixie Kong

Diddy's girlfriend has always been my favorite Kong. Her design was pretty nice (Always liked the beret xD), but my favorite thing about her were his abilities. Using her hair for everything was extremely cool for me. Being able to float by spinning it, being able to pick up barrels and other things with it, it's just so cool.

So, Nintendo and Retro, next DK game, bring her back and make me be able to play as other characters than Donkey Kong and I'm happy.

Edited by MarcelloF
  • Thumbs Up 1

Day #20 - Favorite Side Character from a Video Game

Have some stuff to do today, so I'm gonna have to keep this short as I doubt I'll get it done on time otherwise.

fy0gwn.png

HK-47 (Knights of the Old Republic)

There were a lot of interesting characters in KotOR, but HK-47 is easily my favourite... not only from the games, but possibly the whole Star Wars series. You pick him up from a droid dealer partway through the first game and it turns out you've not got a protocol droid on your hands, but a sociopathic assassin droid that delights in killing things. And a rather amusing one at that:

It's just the way he expresses whatever opinion he has that always made me laugh, plus you got a fair few interesting stories out of him during your conversations... when he wasn't offering the most violent and messy solution to the problem.

2lngu1e.png

Varric (Dragon Age II)

Didn't think Varric would make as big of an impression on me as he did, but he won me over on his first line and ended up being the only character who stayed in my party for the entire game. He's pretty badass in combat, but what I love about him is his exaggerated stories and just how funny he is. Plus he's just about the only one you can talk to without thinking too much about what you say (I managed to make most of my other companions hate me without meaning to >_>) and stayed loyal to my character no matter what. He's totally my in-game BFF.

Honourable mentions: Luigi, Tails, Murray (Monkey Island), and Morte (Planescape: Torment).

Edited by Lucky
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'm gonna go with:

Wheatley_model.jpg

Who doesn't love this guy? He's hilarious!

He's there from the beginning, helping you, but not really because he can't really do much.

In fact, up until the halfway point, he doesn't do much of anything. He's just some company on your journey, and he's damn good at it.

Despite the huge facility, he's always right by my side, and his motormouth is actually good at keeping me interested. Once I fell into Old Aperture, the first thing I realized was for the first time in the game I was without a travel buddy.

He's a lovable guy, and my choice for best sidekick.

• Thumbs Up 6

DAY 20 POST WAS DELETED AND I GET BUSY LATER SO I HAVE TO LEAVE IT UNFINISHED AGAIN

YOSHI

Yoshi_FS.png

Yoshi appears in the Mario video games. Yoshi has the ability to eat his enemies and eject them as eggs, using them as projectiles. Rounding out his arsenal are his long, sticky tongue and his flutter jump, which allows him to extend his jumps. A bit of trivia: Miyamoto wanted Mario to have a dinosaur sidekick ever since the first Super Mario Bros, but was unable to implement it until Super Mario World.

Yoshi-concept.png

TO BE FINISHED I SWEAR

Time's running out... too many good choices... when in doubt, be redundant, I guess:

Alyx Vance

1527616-alyx02_super.jpg

Alyx is a great character on her own merits, for reasons that have already been discussed in depth. The thing that I think really makes her work, though, is the context the game provides for her. Half-Life 2 is a very lonely game, and it loves teasing the player with brief interludes of human interaction between long stretches of zombies and crumbling architecture, not even providing the standard FPS voice over a radio most of the time. That was a great decision that gave the game a very unique atmosphere, don't get me wrong, but by the time Episode 1 rolled around I had an awful craving for some kind of traveling companion. The Episodes even manage to maintain this feeling by using the exact same technique as the original, splitting up Gordon and Alyx periodically to remind the player of how valuable she really is.

• Thumbs Up 4

Day 21

Easy choice for me: Silver the Hedgehog. If he was in anyother series I'd just blow him off entirely, but no! He has to appear in the series that means more then all the others to me! He practically ruins the Archie comics for a bit and he even gets his own arc!

@Indigo Rush. I'm pretty embaressed I meant to say protaginist. Editted the previous post. Whoops!

Edited by dirupti

Least favorite? This is an easy one.

Colette_Brunel_with_rings.jpg

I know I said I wasn't going to do any more Tales of Symphonia related posts, but for Colette Brunel, I'll make an exception.

Colette Brunel is what I like to call the "Stupid Bitch in Distress" of the game. Most of the game consists of you saving her, healing her illness or bunch of other shit.

She's clumsy, an airhead, and won't stop riding Lloyd's dick. You know, all the stereotypical "D'aww so cute" crap they put in characters like these.

deadrisingwikia6.jpg

THESE. SHITS.

(from Dead Rising)

You know, it's not even how annoying they are gameplay-wise (until you're levelled up from previous playthroughs anyway).

It's just the utter dicks that they are as characters. Driving around the Leisure Park killing people so brutally for fun. Not zombies - PEOPLE. I actually have to skip the cut-scene when they appear most of the time because it's just really upsetting, I hate how barbarically the guy is killed and how his girlfriend freaks out over him dying. Kudos to the cut-scene artists mind you.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 5

Day 21 - Least Favorite Character from a Video Game

Seth

Let's see: Bad design that doesn't belong into the Street Fighter style, bad name for a villain, stupid clone character and most of all it is fucking cheap. And no, its low health doesn't help if I cant even move.

At first, I was going to say Blaze [sonic the Hedgehog], but I felt that a little unfair because that's more apathy than hate, and she has some qualities that make up for my personal shortcomings with her. The same reason I decided that the Babylon Rogues [sonic the Hedgehog] was also not worth it for day 21, too.

And then I thought about exploiting a loophole, and having Sally Acorn [sonic Spinball*] since I actually dislike her. But you know what? For all that I dislike her, for all the vitrol I have for her, she at least tries to do something without coming off as an insufferable hang-on. And for that reason...

191433-480px_mlptpeach_super.jpg

THIS BITCH CAN FUCK RIGHT OFF [super Mario Bros]

Urgh, Goddamnit. The second damsel in distress of the Mario series (Pauline was the first), she actually wasn't so bad in the original Super Mario trilogy, with the typical get-up in SMB, a playable appearance in SMB2, and a kidnapping only at the END of the story in SMB3, she helped you before that. Since then though, she's become this ditzy freeloader who can hardly do anything without being taken hostage and having to be rescued. And, honestly? The RPGs don't help her character, I wasn't all that interested in her in SMRPG or Paper Mario (where she arguably did the most stuff. Super Princess Peach, while making the villains hilarious to watch, does fuck all with Peach aside from making her a blank slate for the PMS powers, and you can tell by this point that even Nintendo thought that it was pointless to dwell on her, since Super Paper Mario had her asleep for a lot of Chapter 7 (thus cutting her out of the potential interaction), gave more love to Bowser in an RPG he mere co-starred in than to Peach in a proper platformer she starred in, and further other games have just either parodied her and reduced her screen time (NSMBW) or just generally focused on everyone but her (the Galaxy games, I guess). Good riddance!

*Not to be confused with Sally Acorn [sonic the Hedgehog], who is merely the American version of Ricky and hasn't done jack to receive hate.

• Thumbs Up 3

Moe

Phoenix Wright - Ace Attorney: Justice for All

Moe_OA.PNG

First of all, just look at this asshole. Don't you want to just deck him a couple times out of general principle?

But oh, that's not all. This prick, in a case that was already unnecessarily confusing, poorly paced and poorly written, pesters from basically the very beginning, side tracking you out of an attempt to make you laugh with a bunch of "hilarious" bullshit. You're trudging through what was already probably the worst case in the entire series, and Bopo there is wasting your time with shitty knock-knock jokes.

Making it even more obnoxious, the fucker knows what he's doing isn't funny. He admits he isn't funny. And yet there he goes, padding the case out to be twice as long as it should be with unnecessary and annoying dialog and pissing everyone off in-story. And the worst part is, this is the prick who witnessed the crime, so you spend more time talking to him than anyone else. He's so annoying that the judge even gets sick of him, to the point where all you have to do is press him wrong and the game penalizes you, because Moe tells another shitty joke and the judge takes it out on you. Which basically makes the courtroom part way more tedious than it has any right to be, because of how needlessy convoluted the case already was making it genuinely confusing to keep track of.

Moe isn't the only reason Justice for All is so bad in comparison to the first and third games (a crappy localization, poor writing and generally boring cases also contribute their share), but he is certainly one of the larger ones. I've replayed every case in every game at least three times out of sheer enjoyment. I've only replayed this one once, purely to unlock the next one, and with my face buried in a guide.

Edited by Gilda
  • Thumbs Up 4

Least Favorite character...this is difficult. I don't 'really' have a least favorite, but a character that comes close to that would be Princess Peach of the Mario series. I really, really dislike her role as a damsel in distress, and for me, it gets slightly tiring when I see that happen in almost every Mario game. I get that it's supposed to be the main point of the story (Bowser captures Peach, Mario saves Peach), but after seeing Peach in games like Paper Mario 1 and 2 (yes, she was captured, but she at least did stuff behind the scenes to help out Mario) and Super Paper Mario, where she was a main playable character, it seems kind of sad to me how she can't do anything in other games.

Day 21 - Least Favorite Character

I hate Sylux from Metroid Prime Hunters.

MetroidPrimeHunters-Sylux1.png

I think he has the fastest alt-form in the game, if you don't include Samus's ability to boost. He has that draining gun, which drains your health and adds to his when he uses it. His alt- form has that triangle blast or something that follows you once you trip the wire. Yes, very annoying indeed. I hated going up against him in the story mode, too. ALl he would do is jump around and stuff.

LEAST FAVORITE VIDEO GAME CHARACTER

silver__s_derp_by_poopdawgproductions-d46wn9q.png

SILVER THE CUNT-SNIFFING HEDGEHOG

So yeah, Silver. His first appearance was in Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) and that's probably where he was at his worst. Silver is a recolor tool shiteater​ douchebag hedgehog from the future. His future was destroyed by Iblis, who is a monster or something. And then there's Mephiles, and Solaris, and Eggman...who is the villain...

Uh, so Mephiles comes and tells him that this is all the fault of a hedgehog from the past called Sonic. The reason I hate this is because Sonic isn't even REMEMBERED in the future! Either that or Blaze and Silver are dumbshits! Which they are!

And so, Silver goes to the past to kill "THE IBLIS TRIGGERRRRR" and restore peace to his time. This involves going to a desert where he plays with balls navigates a stupid puzzle involving huge spherical rocks, and running around hub worlds he is too small and too slow for.

The reason I hate Silver in THIS particular game is because, besides being a recolor and Trunks from DBZ, he is a slow and idiotic alternative to Sonic's speedy gameplay, which wasn't even that good in this game. Silver exists to kick you while your down in the gang-beating that is Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), and I fucking despise that. But still, he'll be better next game, right?

Wrong. In every subsequent appearance of Silver's, he has time and time again proven that the series has too many unnecessary characters. Silver adds nothing to any story he is in, mainly because his character is so hopelessly pointless that fleshing it out would be like finding a needle in a shit stack. Silver has no personality. Silver is there to be Sonic's nerdy, one-liner shouting, butt-of-every-joke, hardly-a-friend best friend. And in some cases, a nice little boss battle.

"B-but wait!" a desperate Silver fanboy cries, "what about Rivals? He was just fine in Rivals!" Yeah, he was.

BECAUSE HE WAS SONIC. What I mean is, every time Silver has been playable and NOT awful, it's because he was interchangeable with anyone else and brought nothing interesting to the table.

Silver should die. End of story. We'll be right back with more Shorties Watchin' Shorties.

Edited by A Match in Oil Ocean Zone
  • Thumbs Up 4

Day Numbero 12 Backwards - Ninja's Scrappy-tastic "Kami's pick looks actually well written in comparsion", Least Favourite Game Character(s) Ever!

Princess_Elise.jpg

by the time I was done with this Post, she got Kidnapped about 50 Times

ah, Princess Elise...how much can I dislike a Character like her.......alot

the thing is, with many poorly written Characters I can see some Potential, with Elise there is Noone...at all

She contributs about Little to nothing to the actual "Plot" of the Game she debutet in, Wasted about the entire Spotlight of Sonics Story Mode in said Game, she has even less of a Character then a Goddamn Blue Shell, and during the entire Duration of that Story mode she gets Kidnapped, and Kidnapped, and Kidnapped and Kidnapped

e1aesx.png

this is Literally what Sonic's Story Mode in Sonic 06 boils down to, except not fun.

(un)Honorable Mention:

14_Otis_Washington.jpg

You do not deserve a witty Caption

FUCK YOU OTIS! I do not give a Shit about whatever Fucking Survivor you Found I''M BEAING CHEWED ON BY ZOMBIES YOU OLD FUCK! WAIT TILL I GET UP THERE AND LAYETH A FUCKING CAP ON YOUR SORRY ASS!

But yeah, basically, Otis is the Guy who Informs you every now and then about any Survivor you Find in Dead Rising 1, and while you Listen to his Old Man ramblings you cannot Move, you can Only dodge any Incoming attacks, and if you get attacked while he is Talking, you have to Listen to him Bitching about you Interrupting him AND again about his Old Man Talk

I Hope Zombie Madonna ate your sorry Ass Alive!

Edited by Mr. NinjaShark
  • Thumbs Up 6

Twenty-first: Least Fav. Character

Reaver.jpg

This Blowhard Piss-Ant (Fable II & III)

Hey, I have an idea. Let's create a character who's a lovable rogue with superhuman marksmanship skill. I'm thinking something like Jack Sparrow crossed with Robin Hood. Oh, and just to be edgy, let's have him be personally responsible for destroying the hometown of the original Fable's Hero. Oh, and let's have him be immortal thanks to sacrificing random people to evil monsters in order to steal their youth. Oh, and let's have him outright kill that lovable comic relief character we've endeared the Fable II Hero with since the start of the game. Oooh, oooh, let's have him double-cross the same Hero while we're at it, by having him try to sell out the Hero to the villain. Even better, let's have him kill-steal the villain from the hero if they let the bad guy monologue. And, and, and, HEY! BEST PART: Let's have him get away scot-free for all his assholishness, so people will want to buy Fable III just to see Reaver get his comeuppance.

Fast-forward to Fable III...

Let's have Reaver be the head of industry under the tyrannical evil king. Let's have him shoot innocent people in grim cutscenes just to show how evil he is, and how him being in charge of all the factories is proof of the evil king's cruelty. Let's have a mission to kill him that only leads to fighting lots of werewolves while Reaver laughs in the background. And then... AND THEN... AND THEN YOU FUCKING FUCKERS LET'S HAVE HIM BE THE MANDATORY ROYAL ADVISOR WHEN THE PLAYER BECOMES KING/QUEEN! YEAH!!! LET'S HAVE HIM NEVER EVER SUFFER FOR ANY OF HIS CRIMES, NEVER GET THAT FUCKING SMIRK WIPES OFF HIS PRETTY FACE BECAUSE THE DEVELOPERS HAVE SUCH A FUCKING HARDON FOR THIS PRICK!!!

Okay, okay. Deep breaths.

I don't like Reaver.

EDIT: TV Tropes Short version:

He's a Westley Complete Monster Karma Houdini.

Edited by Grumpy Old Guy

Day 21 - Least Favorite Character from a Video Game

th125aya.png

Aya Shameimaru - Touhou Project series - Microsoft Windows - From 2005-2010

Aya is a dead-on example of

Creator's Pet, because apparently being a reporter is the perfect excuse to be shoehorned into nearly every game since her debut in Touhou 09. She wasn't even the character that stood out the most; Yuka Kazami held that honor because she hasn't been seen since 1998 from before the series reboot. Surely she would become a series regular again, right?

Nope. Yuka is never heard from again while Aya manages to get a role in two future main-series games, the fighting game after that, her own gaiden game and a sequel to said gaiden game. And every time the player defeats her in battle, she always claims that she was "holding back" or "lost on purpose." If that isn't an indicator that ZUN's playing favorites with her, then I don't know what to say to you.

Runner-Ups: Whitney's Miltank (Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver Version) and Lotta Hart (Ace Attorney)

• Thumbs Up 1

Least favorite character....

OOH! I have an idea!

ffxiii_hope_g1.jpg

HOPE ESTHEIM (FINAL FANTASY XIII)

I didn't really care for the majority of the characters in this game (probably except Sazh), but I couldn't ignore this kid. I mean, everybody hates the whiny bitch character in games/movies, right? Well, this is the resident whiner here. This guy, is just...ugh. His logic is very twisted (to the point of me facepalming repeatedly) and he's to thickheaded to actually shut up and let some logic flow into his brain. His depressing attitude kinda pissed me off too. I know somethin bad happened to him, but still, how much more emo can he get?

and gameplay wise, he's not really useful either. I usually tend to keep him out of my teams unless I need a tiny bit of magic. And he fights with a boomerang that looks absolutely gaudy, even for Japanese weapon standards.

Edited by Alien/Renegade
  • Thumbs Up 2

Least Favorite Video Game Character

Darkashkofxiiialt.gif

THIS GUY. RIGHT HERE. Get FUCKED, Evil Ash.

There is absolutely nothing I like about this character. I can think of a lot of awful characters but I won't even touch the singleplayer modes of King of Fighters 13 as long as it means I'll run into him.

He is so goddamn hard. Whether you're playing Arcade or Story, you have to fight him. SNK games already have legendarily frustrating difficulty levels, especially when it comes tot heir boss characters, but Evil Ash takes the cake. If you make one mistake and he gets away from you, he's going to put the pressure on you by sending out huge, strong projectiles, often by the twos. He mixes them up so it's as hard to dodge as possible, and they do so much chip damage that you can't reliably bait him in. He can take out your health so quickly, and the worst part is that, even after beating him, you don't feel like the challenge made you a better player. You aren't LEARNING anything besides how to deal with bullshit AI.

It doesn't help that he also embodies everything I hate about Japanese character design. He's so prissy and effeminate, and not even in a funny way like Ghirahim from Zelda Skyward Sword. I hate his stupid, freckled, pretty-boy face. I hate his 60's girl hairdo. I hate his hideous bell bottom pants. No offense if you're one of his fans, but who the hell thinks this shit looks cool? The character design in King of Fighters has never clicked with me like the admittedly more generic designs in Fatal Fury, but I can't even stand looking at Ash.

And as an added piss-off, Ash Crimson is one of the central characters of the game. BEAUTIFUL.

Dishonorable Mention.

2533646280_f06e2aa438.jpg

Rockman Chrome

Gonna risk pissing some people off and say that, Silver has no place in a Sonic game. His powers are uncreative and don't merge well with normal Sonic gameplay, his design is essentially just a copy-paste of Sonic/Shadow's with a few obvious changes, and his backstory has been done before, and better.

And if I may be perfectly honest, I can't stand his voice. Even with the new actor he sounds really dorky and stupid, and in Sonic 06 I hated the way he would always mispronounce the word "the."

"The" when used before a consonant is pronounced "thuh." When used before a vowel, it's pronounced "thee." This never got across to the actor though, because he would always end up saying "thuh ibliz triggur" and it drove me crazy.

So yeah, he's not the worst by any means, but he definitely annoys me.

• Thumbs Up 2

Least Favorite Side Character

160px-Diamond_Pearl_Barry.png

Barry

"I'm fining you $1 Milllion!!!". Good lord am I the only one who felt like punching this guy right through the screen everytime he said that?

Out of all the rivals in pokemon this is my LEAST favorite. This character is annoying, obnoxious, never listens to important details, leaps before he looks, and is always acting like he has ADHD. Thankfully this is the only rival I truly dislike, but I wasn't that fond of Bianca in black and white because she sometimes reminded me of this bastard.

Dishonorable Mentions:

Babylon Rogues- Sonic Riders

Princess Peach- Mario

Princess Elise- Sonic 06

Edited by Dark Energon Johnny
  • Thumbs Up 4

Day 21: Least Favorite Character in a Video Game

Mephiles_the_DarkST.PNG

Mephiles the Dark

I almost feel like I'm cheating picking this "character", when he can barely be considered a character at all. He's there for the sake of being there, he has no motive beyond "I'm the bad guy, I do bad things because I can." He's so painfully paper-thin in his intentions and motives, I'm completely dumbfounded at how Silver fell for his shit (thus causing the rest of Sonic 06 to happen).

Speaking of Silver, his "master plan" makes absolutely no fucking sense even within the context of the Sonic universe. He tries playing the "chess master" in the story, and does the equivalent of flipping the chessboard over when lo and behold his ridiculously stupid gambit fails. In fact here's how the plot plays out.

-Have the bitch (who's arguably just as bad of a character) and Sonic develop somewhat of a close friendship. (Completely unnecessary, since he could've just killed the bitch himself and release Iblis that way)

-Trick Silver into killing Sonic to make Elise cry thus releasing Iblis. (He could've just fused with Iblis in the future where Silver comes from too, since Solaris is a being that pays no attention to time, which timeline Iblis comes from shouldn't even matter)

-Be a dick to Shadow and throw him on a wild goose chase for shits and giggles.

When his "master plan" fails, he just backstabs Sonic in the most unsubtle of ways, thus causing the bitch to cry and released Iblis. Note, once again, he could've just killed the bitch and released Iblis that way.

Plus just look at his design. He's literally a recolor of the doppelganger character who's also arguably a recolor. Some people argue that his more "crystalline" form (above) is better, when it's still just a shitty recolor. The only form of his that isn't a shitty recolor is his original form, which is a fucking puddle of black goop. The goop in Super Mario Sunshine has more personality than he does.

• Thumbs Up 3

Gotta agree with Dark Energon Johnny, Barry was just so lame.

A lot of the reasons were already covered, but he looks fucking dumb with ridiculous hair, has NO character change (Gary seems to humble come GSC/HGSS, Silver really develops well, can't remember 3rd gen as I never finished, and the two rivals in BW really developed well due to the better storytelling, but this guy is just lame the entire time), doesn't really use many interesting Pokemon, has crappy lines, and is neither friendly (like 3rd and 5th gens) and ergo less annoying, but neither is he a complete douche where you feel like you HAVE to beat him and teach him a lesson (first two gens). He's just there. He'd be bland if he weren't so annoying with stupid lines. The whole always in a rush thing could have been interesting, but his "high pace" thing is his ONLY gimmick. I'm not going to argue that the other rivals were super deep, but they had more than one note to their personalities, and as I said before, development.

I actually struggled to think of examples that wouldn't be done more than five times or were obvious (Hi, Elise!) or that would made me react with utter contempt, considering I warm up to most characters after some experience with them. I guess there are "complete monster" villains like Ghetis, but Ghetis was so devious and manipulative that he's interesting, as well as being more fun and tense to fight. Barry is just overall bland. I mean I could have picked Adam in Metroid: Other M, but he was only kind of bad in that game, he's fine in Fusion and I don't hate him as aggressively as some others do.

Any other "character" I hate is something like a Pokemon or just because of a gameplay mechanic rather than the character itself.

Edited by Semi-colon e