Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games

Sami

Ok, missed out on two days, gotta play catch up.

Elisabeth.jpg

THIS, fucking bitch. I swear to god, people call Peach a useless damsel, at least she tries to be useful outside of the main games, this fucker does SHIT to help herself, and just stands there looking derpy while Sonic is getting his ass kicked. I fully understand she's not exactly a fighter, but if someone is trying to kidnap you the logical thing to do would be run away from said kidnapper, instead of looking like an idiot. The audience is supposed to feel bad for her, but it really does a shitty job at it because her backstory is suck ridiculous, she can't cry and never thought of doing so when her dad dies, but Sonic whom she's known for less than a day is enough to make her breakout? Really?

The only satisfaction I have is that I'lll never see her again, but the memory is there an will never leave. Seriously just looking at her pisses me off.

• Thumbs Up 3

EASY-PEASY

G8wkK.png

Y'see, let me tell you something about me. I enjoy saving royalty in my videogames. Being that Shining Knight, a valiant soul devoting his entire existence to his princess, or queen. This is one of the many reasons why I like Ghost'n Goblins, or the Mario series in general. So, when I heard that Sonic too was joining the Saving-princesses bandwagon, I said to myself: "Well, that doesn't look very Sonic-y, I admit, but considering that Sonic games rely heavily on storytelling, I guess I should be happy". Little did I know that the "Sonic Princess" was going to be...well, Elise. Not only she looks more like a Final Fantasy reject, but her personality is just so messed up. Alright, I understand it : She can't cry, or else the world will be destroyed. And she didn't cried when his father died. I can respect that. BUT WHY, WHY she cried when Sonic, the talking hedgehog she met just few days before, kicked the bucket? That doesn't make sense. Also, she gets kidnapped all the time. I like saving princesses, I already said that, but...RUN FOR CHAOS SAKE, RUN! Do...Do something, please....

EDIT: Yeah...it seems that Shadic was faster than me. Well, still....Sara was a way better princess than this character.

Edited by Phantom Nald

DAY 22

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPurLWtWEsw

Gah, I couldn't find it in better quality.

The Custom Robo: Battle Revolution intro is probably the best cinematic I've ever seen in a video game. Beats the living shit out of seeing Gundams fight.

It includes my favorite Strike Vanisher, Rakansen, and it makes him look more badass than anything in-game could.

• Thumbs Up 2

The opening to Sonic Unleashed:

First, lets get the obvious out of the way: This is SEGA's greatest feat in animation, graphics, and action. It really shows the amazing power of the new Hedgehog Engine, and it really looks amazing.

Anyways: This is most likely the most epic cutscene in any Sonic game and up there with any video game of all time. The opening shows that Eggman really mean business this time. Just look at the size and amount of ships he has! Then, Sonic comes in and just wrecks every robot that comes in his way in a flashy, speedy way that looks amazing animation wise. Next, Eggman enters his Egg Dragoon prototype and pretty much seems to succeed in catching Sonic.....Until you see the Chaos Emeralds come out and Sonic turns into Super Sonic! He then pretty much goes on a rampage and destroys EVERY SINGLE SHIP! If it was a human, they'd need a fleet greater or equal to Eggmans to destroy them, but no, a blue Hedgehog just demolishes everything. Then comes the kicker: Eggman actually capturing SUPER SONIC, DRAINING HIS POWER AND DEFEATING HIM! This marks the first time Eggman defeating Super Sonic. He then uses the Chaos Emeralds to fire a beam on the Earth, seperating it and releasing Dark Gaia. This also marks Eggman's first time in destroying the world kinda. To finally get rid of Sonic (It doesn't work, but still), now in his Werehog form ("Ah, Sonic. That's a good look for you. Festive!"), he releases him out into space and down to Earth.....stupidly with the Chaos Emeralds. This begins an epic adventure around the world and one amazing start.

• Thumbs Up 5

Day 22 - Favorite Cutscene(s)

This cutscene. THIS CUTSCENE. No other non-opening cutscene in any game has got me excited nearly as much. I don't know what it is that makes me like it, be it the way the music kicks in or just the incredible amount of stuff going on in each frame, but it's just awesome. It might also be helped by the fact that I actually LIKED the story, cutscenes, and the mode itself.

Oh and this one too:

This is, to me, the BEST opening cutscene any game has ever been graced with. It's one of those cutscenes that made me excited to play the game, and I watched the opening all the way through each time I booted up the game which is rare for me. Not much else can be said really, just watch it and you'll see why I think it's amazing.

Edited by Red Cap-Blue Spikes
  • Thumbs Up 6

22 - Best intro in Vidya

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PdQxQjaDak

Seeing Samus in 3D for the first time ever gave me goosebumps, especially when they added the Metroid fanfare as it goes into her visor. *wide grin*

never have i loved a cutscene as much as that.

besides this of course

Edited by Samus Aran

Picture this if you will.

In the game's opening, we see a young girl attempting to shoot herself in the head for purposes unknown, but she becomes distressed and can't get herself to pull the trigger. Well okay, I mean, logical assumption is that suicide is hard yeah?

As the main character of the game, you're moving into a new dorm as a transfer student, with all your roommates being incredibly secretive about themselves. Although who are you to judge with such a cool and quiet demeanor? Either way you kick off a rather close friendship with the girl in that said opening, perhaps because the chemistry of having lost your parents means you two are able to relate on an emotional level. She shows you the ins and outs of the school and the town, letting you get acquainted with everything.

Everything is fine and dandy, until one night she wakes you up in the middle of the night when mysterious monsters start invading upon an eerie green moon. She hands you a sword to protect yourself with, and you try making a daring escape with her only to be cornered at a rooftop. Suddenly out of nowhere an eight armed freak of nature appears, holding lances in some of it's many hands and a mask in another.

The logical course of action is to fight back somehow. Instead, she pulls out her gun again, presumably in some attempt to commit suicide you'd think. Just what is her deal? But the monster proceeds to knock her out cold, only to have her gun fall next to your feet.

Evoker.PNG

It might have been your common instinct at the time grabbing hold of the gun, or something else. Whatever the reason is, you point the gun at your head. The only thing you can hear at this point is your beating heart. Suddenly a sick grin forms on your face and you pull the trigger.

zJcCr.png

Bang.

It's almost like a metaphor, but just like that, a mysterious being claiming to have stemmed from your soul has awakened, and is ready to perform battle with this abnormal, horrendous abomination. This scene is cool with that on its own, you realize you've had an underlying avatar that is a source of immense power, and to awaken it, you have to shoot yourself in the head. That insidious face of the protagonist just makes it the more cooler, as if he had some sick pleasure in blowing his mind to bits.

But then something happens. The protagonist loses all control of this facet of his personality, his Persona, Orpheus, and it starts being ripped apart from the inside. Out of its slaughtered body emerges a badass fucking grim reaper with coffins surrounding him and a giant fucking sword, the very personification of death; Thanatos. Going completely berserk and uncontrolled, he proceeds ripping the monster to shreds.

DeathThanatosBT.jpg

Such a swag fucker. You don't fuck with this coffin carrying motherfucker.

Not only is the badassery of the events transpiring this cutscene so powerful and ballsy, the fact that your new found awesome power has an underlying and even more bad ass form that you can't have and won't have the ability to use for more than half of the game, makes you want to strive even harder to reach and find out how to ascend to that power.

I was disappointed that Persona 3 Portable didn't include this cutscene, as it's just astounding. It gives a new definition to the word "mindblown".

• Thumbs Up 6

Twenty-second: Favourite Cinematic

Final Fantasy IX: The Airship Chase.

This is a movie-worthy action sequence, and the best use of controller vibration in synch with the onscreen action I've ever...um...felt. It's thrilling, it's sad, it's funny, it's got everything! Black Waltz III's personal antagonism towards Vivi and epic defeat (not counting that sucky boss fight much later) downright overshadow Kuja's later introduction. I don't mind telling you I was kinda secretly hoping for Black Waltz to make a surprise return towards the end of the game.

I'll go for what hasn't been mentioned already. >3> Stupid people stealing my ideas...

*ahem*

Day 22 - Favourite Cinematics

I would like to mention Reshiram and Zekrom's appearances in N's Castle - Pokémon Black and White.

For a Nintendo DS, this scene is freaking beautiful.

An extremely powerful moment in the game with you facing off against the other "hero" when both dragons appear to fight for you. What makes the impact is when your dragon Pokémon appears.

From a pure white/pitch black stone that you saw in a museum within the beginnings of the game to being an actual seal to either of the dragon legendaries, while also averting the trope of only you getting the main legendary with the opposing antagonist(?) having one of his own... This scene exudes power while hinting at what kind of brawl is gonna go down.

Runner-up...

Say what you will about the game or the series, but I go for Sonic Riders' opening video.

I'm a sucker for anime, and seeing a Sonic game tackling that notion puts a great big smile on my face every time. It's fluent, it's vivid, it's fast, and it's fun to watch. Not much else can be said here.

• Thumbs Up 2

cinematic4.png

Zelda Majora's Mask: Story Intro

Like a lot of the coolest things in this game, it just served to be a fantastic example of just "oh yes, this is different from your average Zelda", and really seperated it from Ocarina Of Time. It has oodles of atmosphere to start with, then goes straight into a chase sequence, before a very surreal mini-dungeon that culminates in a gorgeously tiny little moment of just travelling through the spiral corridor into the land of Termina. It all adds up to something really, REALLY special and the whole sequence just engages you from the very start. Not enough Zelda games do this. I'll be really sad if the next Zelda game is yet another "here's an hour of status quo happy life stuff before things go to poop" opener. I guess Majora's Mask had an advantage in being a direct sequel though. The character of this Link had already been established, so they could get going right away.

cinematic1.png

Super Smash Bros. Melee: Start-Up Intro

Even though it was FMV, this still blew me away and was pretty much the posterchild for "yep, N64 is done now" hype-inducingness. It was really pretty basically. Music is also gorgeous. I love that "clicky" percussion thing goin' on during Peach's bit near the start.

cinematic2.png

Mario Power Tennis: Start-Up Intro

Just damn hilarious, and gorgeously animated. A "sequel" of sorts to the Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour intro. I think the guys at Camelot really love Wario and Waluigi. If you're a Mario fan but never played, you owe it to yourself to look up these intros. Each one is basically 5 minutes of Wario and Waluigi being stupid.

cinematic3.png

Metroid Other M: Adam Leaves

Yeah fuck y'all. Since my only significant Metroid experience was the Prime Trilogy I really didn't mind at all what they did with Samus' character. Now granted, this cut-scene did not have the BUILD-UP it deserved to make it as sad as possible. Which is a shame because when I watched it I was thinking "man if they had really made me care about their relationship this would be so much sadder". But still it was nicely done, even if it was working with a rather naff background. For example, the whole thumbs-up/thumbs-down thing was sorta stupid, but it was worth it for the pay-off throwback here. I really liked that moment (hence choice of image). The fact that they followed up this sad scene with a dramatic escape sequence kinda sealed the deal.

ALSO:

25947610150273849454740.jpgAll of these scenes. See my post from the "saddest moments" day for more info:

And last but not least, honourable mentions:

Sonic Unleashed Intro - Yeah I actually really love this, more so than a few of the scenes listed here, but, it's the boring choice.

Sonic Riders Intro - Just damn, that style was lovely. I'd have killed for all the cut-scenes to have been animated like this.

BioShock 2 - The scene when you finally reach Eleanor. Heartbreakingly done.

Left 4 Dead Intro - I watch this so often because I just wish wish wish they had done more of these, perhaps to tie the campaigns together.

Any cut-scene in Dead Rising - When Frank is wearing a pretty dress.

• Thumbs Up 2

What's this? Has the profound influence of a certain Sega CD game's opening and ending sequences imbedded itself so deeply into Sean's jaded heart that it remains true to his better judgment and desire to one day produce animation and action of comparable quality?

Is this the day when Sean finally caves and actually mentions an element from gasp, a Sonic game?

No.

Day 22: Favorite video game cinematic

6gbxut.jpg

I loved Full Throttle. At the time I never played anything that felt like a living cartoon before, so it had deeper impressions on me than any other adventure game had on me since.

This is the opening. It is as cheesy as cheese comes, but it really sets up the game so perfectly that I can't fault it for anything. You understand who Malcolm Corley (the guy on the left) is, the miserly old man who's fully aware that he's about to kick the bucket, but he's far more worried about the sleazy, obviously evil man who's currently positioned to be his successor for his ailing motorcycle business, Mark Hamill himself. Erm, sorry... I mean Adrian Ripburger, the game's main antagonist. You understand the villain's motivations, despite his claiming the contrary, and you understand the setting and tone based on the cryptic opening narration and just the very sight of the hoverlimo cruising through an abandoned wasteland.

But best of all, you understand who Ben is. And all he does is run over Malcolm's limo while smashing that small angel replica of Tim Schafer. From then on, awesome music kicks in, and it really pumps you up for what's to come. And the rest of the game is unadulterated, testosterone concentrate badassery.

• Thumbs Up 1

It had been about five years since the last Monkey Island game, and now it was in 3D!

This opening also carried a fair bit of nostalgia for me. Sure, it served as an opening to bring newcomers up to speed, but I loved the little flashes of LeChuck's various forms, and found some of the other lines and cutaways hilarious. It may not match the standards of the first three games, but its still mighty fine and its a great way to start.

• Thumbs Up 3

Day Numbero 22 wich comes after 21 and before 23 - Ninja's Cutscene Power to the max-tastic "Kami's choice looks like a Dingo Pictures Movie",Favourite Cutscenes Ever!

this scene can be about summed up in a single sentence:

KUNG FU WITH MOTORCYCLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!!

*cough* but anyway, yeah. This scene is, along with the scene I posted in my "Funniest Moment" post, one of the defining scenes of the entire Devil May Cry series.

if Dante says "This Party is getting CUHRAAAAAAAAAZY" you bet your damn Ass it's Gonna be CUHRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZY

this Scene Just...this scene.......

where do I start?

If there is one type of Cutscene I adore, then it's one before the Very Final end of a Bossfight where all the People you encountered during your Journey give their strenght to the Hero and Help him Defeat the Final boss once and for all.

Okami, has such a Scene.

Amerterasu, the Sun Goddess, after getting sucker Punched by Yami, the God of Darkness, is tripped from all of her Powers and Helpless against Yami.

and then she hears the Prayers of the People of Nippon, whom she Helped during Her Journey and Issun, her Loyal Companion.

It's a very Heartwarming and Awesome Scene, with a Prayer like it hasn't been seen since the Days of Earthbound, and thats why I Adore it.

3601391432_2d8fd5de57.jpg

it's a Livin'!

the Samus & Pikachu vs Ridley Pre-Fight Cutscene from Smash Bros Brawl.

Get this, so Samus and Pikachu walk along, Minding their own Buisness, when suddenly Ridley Swoops Down, Grabs Samus, and Decides to clean the Wall with Her, while His Theme song Plays

and then Pikachu is all "Fuck this" and fucking

14w36v4.png

"Flying type are Bullshit! AAAH!"

and this is why Pikachu is Badass.

Honorable Mentions:

The Opening Movie to Super Smash bros 64- Not sure if this entry counts, but I just couldn't Help. It's the Awesome First Opening to an Awesome Series wich I hold dear to me, and sets the tone for it Wondefully.

the Same of course Goes for Melee's and Brawls Openings, but I decided to go with 64's Opening, for simplicities sake.

Sonic Adventure 2:Battle, Hero Story Opening: Simply enough, one of my Favourite Openings in the Series to me. It sets the tone for the Following story so well, you Just gotta Love it. I Still get chills when I see Sonic Falling down on a Makeshift Snowboard, escaping his captors.

Edited by Mr. NinjaShark
  • Thumbs Up 6

Can we put Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children and leave it like that?

1327729521409.gif

Good joke there. Had me going. :P

Anyways Day 22 Favorite Cutscene:

Dante gets Levan in Devil May Cry 3.

dante-nevan.jpg

First off I had a rather hard time fighting the succubus lady here. It was rather satisfying to finally beat her. But what does Dante get for beating this bitch?

DA_Nevan.gif

A freaking awesome electric guitar that doubles as a scythe AND shoots out bats with electrical powers or what not.

But since Dante loves to demonstrate his cool moves after getting a weapon. So what does he do?

Starts a huge rock concert with awesomeness. Not to mention he remixes the fight theme that you hear every time. :P

I do find it pretty cool and Nevan is officially my favorite weapon in DMC3. But the demonstration was epic as hell.

Runner Ups:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weahCCYmF8A:

They killed off some of the heroes of Marvel which makes you wanna go beat up those aliens right? :P

Its a great meme and I actually kind agree with Dracula on this one. :P

Edited by Dream of the Endless
  • Thumbs Up 1

Day 22 - Favorite cutscene.

Well this is a really hard one...

But I'll go with this:

Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2 - Intro

This scene was a huge thing back in my young days, the first time I booted the game I got amazed by it, it was like I was watching a full movie like those you watch on the cinemas! The dialogue might have gone over my head (I'm Hispanic in case you don't know) but I managed to understand most of it, soviet Russia was invading North America, the president had a talk with the premier, something something, the president talk to a soldier guy and this talks to another to activate something but one of them gets hypnotized by telephone or something (Yuri was awesome like that, so he could do this and many other crazy things) the whole American base blows up and then one of the only lines that got engraved in my head even with my limited knowledge of the language happen...

Romanov: Is it done, Yuri?

Yuri: No comrade premier, it has only begun...

And boy was he right! Because what follows is the most badass displays of (fictional) military power I've seen in my life (It was more impressive back in the day)... And the moment one of the Soviet airships covers the screen one of the most rocking pieces of music I've ever heard begins to play. (the forum is failing me so I can't link the full version of the track properly

sad.png)

westwood_logo_remake.1.png

PROUDLY PRESENTS

Tanks! Missile launching trucks! Giant missile launching cruisers! Zeppelins! Tiny robots! Soldiers! Submarines! OMFG WAS THAT A SQUID!? This game is awesome!

Then the main menu appears and more awesome music begins to play! (and maybe there was a loading screen before that)

Oh yeah! I'm going to love this game!

And so I did (

)

Red Alert 3 intro is nice too (considering it's pretty much RA2 intro but with some roles reversed), also making a nice job at showing how crazy the Japanese army got once the Soviets messed up with the already messed up timeline...

That moment when you are in your airship and a mecha grabs you...

Once again, too many honorable mentions to list.

Edited by gato
  • Thumbs Up 1

Jeez...another toughie...

My love for animation dictates I should pick something from maybe Disgaea, Persona, BlazBlue or Sonic CD...But I'm gonna pick from a game I haven't seen much of in this whole thread. For shame!

Favourite Cinematic: Solatorobo Opening

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--DrVKWC58E&feature=related

A perfect way to greet us to a brand new world and a cast of colourful characters. The music has this "epic story" feel, which is what you will get when playing the game. Just watching the intro with headphones on gave me chills. Brilliantly animated, but you always get that with Japan. (except Sonic X)

Add to this, once you reach a certain point in the game, the story develops into what feels like a whole new arch and another intro with the same music comes with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95di4K36zns&feature=related

• Thumbs Up 1

It's time for another three-way tie!

Sonic Unleashed (Opening)

This intro is just EPIC and shows Sonic at his very best: taking down Eggman's forces in the blink of an eye. Not only is that in of itself awesome, but Eggman gets his moment to shine, too, by actually anticipating Sonic owning him and draining Super Sonic's power to fuel his latest scheme, which also has the added bonus of turning the hedgehog into a monsrous Werehog. I also love Eggman's line once he does: "That's a good look for you! Festive!" (Ego stroking at its' finest!) The animation is great (I still want an actual movie using it!), the writing is great, the voice acting is great, the music is great, and it's just an all around superb opening. This is the example that all Sonic openings should follow.

Sonic and the Black Knight (Opening)

This one is another favorite of mine not only because of more superb voice acting, music, atmosphere, and animation, but also great humor. I LOVE the return of Sonic's faceplant gag and how quickly he realizes the situation before owning all the monsters in a second. Sonic's numerous antics with two chili dogs are also hilarious and the standoff between him and King Arthur always makes me chuckle. Also, this scene contains Dan Green, and I LOVE Dan Green. :D

Super Smash Bros. Brawl (

and
)

I picked this scene because the idea of Mario and Link filling with rage and actively trying to murder each other is just hilarious to me. (Mario moreso.) laugh.png

• Thumbs Up 4

I know I said I'd try to reduce my mentions of this game, but I really couldn't leave this scene out of this, it's just too good. Just as you think your quest is over, Yami, the final boss of the game, strikes Amaterasu down and takes away all of her powers. At this point, all hope seems lost ignoring the fact that you're a hero, therfore you don't lose, everything gets shrouded in darkness, Yami unveils it's most powerful form, and the only one who can stop it is completely powerless. But just then, all of the people who have met and helped on your journey across Nippon come together in prayer to help encourage Amaterasu to keep on fighting and revive her most powerful state.

This scene is just beautiful. I really enjoyed seeing all of these characters come together to perk up Amaterasu was really touching, and seeing all of the people you met again for one last time felt like a really nice finale to the adventure. The tidbits of character development they throw in like Issun finally realising his true path in life and embracing his role as a painter was really nice as well. I also enjoyed how they were able to even throw a few lessons in there, like Oki's lines about the effort put into something being far more valuable than the result. The music accompanying the scene is really fitting as well, and has a pretty nice sound to it as well. Seeing Amaterasu reach the powerful state she was in 100 years ago really made you feel psyched up for the following fight as well.

Honourable mentions:

Reshiram's appearance (Pokémon Black): Verte pointed out why this is a great scene, and why with Reshiram the scene is a lot better than Zekrom being in Reshiram's place, go and read her post.

Mario Power Tennis' Intro and Blooper Reels: Both of these are really amusing, the former for Wario and Waluigi's antics, and the latter for it's pretty amusing slapstick and some pretty funny, and rather unexpected for a Mario game in one case, lines that come up in them. I really should've given these a mention back in the funniest moments.

• Thumbs Up 2

So after searching through my mind for notable cutscenes(pretty hard since most of the games I play are interactive), I finally thought of one.

I miss old Dante so much.

• Thumbs Up 2