Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games

Sami

Chrono Trigger was one of the best RPGs ever made and one of my favourite games of all time.

Chrono Cross was pretty awful as a sequel and really only an okay game in its own right. That should probably frustrate me a lot more than it does, but sometimes a first impression can make all the difference. It's pretty much impossible to hate a game that opens with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-h-n43xOqg

Chrono Cross' soundtrack gave it a soul: it probably got more emotion out of me with just a few songs than it ever did with dialogue (er, except when it was killing off Trigger characters for no reason. Lucca, no...). I'm starting to think that I'm kind of shooting myself in the foot in case there's an actual soundtrack question somewhere down the line, but this one song is good enough to justify picking something else for that. Because seriously, it is really damn good. It's a roller coaster of a song, wrapping up everything Chrono Cross was (or tried to be) into two and a half minutes of joy and melancholy. I'd call it enough to justify an entire game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Anybody who writes Wily's Castle 1 from MM2 gets a paddlin'.

Day 23: Favorite video game track

2vi5t0j.jpg

The water level theme in SM64 (usually referred to as the theme for Dire, Dire Docks, but that is like halfway through the game and I actually associate this song more with Jolly Roger Bay) is the perfect Mario song. It goes above and beyond the traditional water style with a gorgeous atmosphere and subtle change in instruments depending on where you are. I want to see it brought back somehow, as it would have been perfect in the Galaxy games. Hell, just about every song from SM64's soundtrack deserves a revival, and I wish Kondo would get off his ass to make more solo soundtrack efforts these days, you know, rather than contributing only a few tracks per game.

Also I almost said

today but I am still standing by my "fuck Sonic" policy for this topic. But this track is great and more people should appreciate it/remix it or whatever. Loathsome level. Sexy song.

Honorable mention:

e7fk3b.jpg

It's not from any game in particular, but the

is the best thing forever and you should check it out.
  • Thumbs Up 5

MEGAMAN MUSICZ. This is one of my favourite opening level themes in any of the Megaman games ever. It's just so awesomeeeee. It gets me pumped when playing the game. The soundtrack to this entire game is pretty swell actually. A good runner up for me in terms of the Megaman series would be Megaman Zero's 'Departure' and '

and Megaman 3's "
because MAGNET MAN HAS A BOUNCY AWESOME THEME (he also wants to take you to the prom).

Outside of Megaman music:

Hello PSO music. You are my main musical influence so of course you're gonna get a mention here. Episode III had some of the most wicked tunes of all, and this track is no exception. Of course I'd also be stupid not to mention the IDOLA track from the first half of Episode 2's final boss, Olga Flow, because that track is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3AdN80WKXw. That boss battle on the elevator is also my favourite thing.

So yeah, fave tracks right there.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ffffffff. THIS ONE. Well, this one and the original, but mostly this one.

I played Sonic CD originally with the USA soundtrack, but on the PC version disk there were these weird /OTHER/ songs that were nowhere in the game (Except the past ones). They were so strange, but I loved them. I was like "I wonder what these are even for? I really like these! Too bad they aren't in Sonic CD; that game has a weird and kinda bad soundtrack (IMO XD I grew to kinda like some of the USA tracks too. I can appreciate them at least). Then I found out years later that these were the JP Sonic CD songs! Well damn! I bought the Xbox Live port and played through the game with the JP soundtrack and it was SO MUCH BETTER.

Then I got to the scene with Metal Sonic. Oh my various Gods, the bad future music mixed in with the post apocalyptic nature of the stage fit SO WELL. It just blew my mind how rockin' that song was compared to the funky-awesome other versions (I hadn't gotten to the good future yet/didn't remember it). Not to mention, I'd heard it in Generations first as well, with the snazzy remix. <3 Aaaa. I don't know, I think this is definitely one of my most favorite video game songs ever.

Honorable mentions:

"With Me" - Sonic and the Black Knight

"Supporting Me" - Sonic Adventure 2

"Beware the Forest's Mushrooms" - Mario RPG

"Crisis City (Modern)" - Sonic Generations

Anything from Jet Set Radio (Future) by Hideki Naganuma

• Thumbs Up 2

It's called a road... it is called a Rainbow Road.

It's the road that you goooooo

It's called a road... it is called a Rainbow Road

And you will know when you get there

---

IT IS THE ROAD THAT YOU GO WHEN YOU DIE

----

ITS GOT PRINCESS PEACH MARIO AND THE TOAD

IT IS THE ROAD WE'RE ALL GOING TO GO

---

ITS RAINBOW ROAD, ITS WHERE YOU GO WHEN YOU DIE, ITS RAINBOW ROAD

Edited by Autosaver
  • Thumbs Up 7

The answer I want to give to this question is: the entire goddamn medium. This is something I cannot be forced to choose on. If you're wondering why mainstream music is filled with Justin Beibers and Hannah Montanas it's because video games are where all the talent's going. Koji Kondo. Akira Yamaoka. Nobuo Uematsu. Jeremy Soule. Marty O'Donell. Jun Senoue. Hell, even names you DON'T know like Mike Morasky, Kota Hoshino, Hideki Sakamoto or Tim Follin create music that their games wouldn't be the same without. Not to mention some are even getting talent from film scoring veterans like Hans Zimmer. I honestly can't remember the last time I played a game where the sound direction didn't at least complement the tone. And even bad games can get away with good soundtracks.

But since I must say something...

Still Alive (Portal)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVMKShUHlFc

I know it's a cliche choice, but has a game ever had a more conclusive credits song? This wasn't something anyone saw coming, but what better way to wrap up an already functionally perfect game than with a jaunty, quirky, humorous and iconic ballad? It's not far behind Super Mario 64 in terms of my favorite endings because it's a perfect reward for a perfect adventure. I could name any number of BGM tracks that I love, but Still Alive isn't just a track- it's a moment, a moment you'll never forget. And not necessarily an indicator of its quality, but it's perhaps the most popular game track since the Mario Bros. theme in that anyone in the first world at least recognizes the melody, and for good reason.

Runners up: FUCKING EVERYTHING

Edited by SuperStingray
  • Thumbs Up 5

Day 23 - Favorite Song

I'll choose Area select - Planet Wisp

It's clam, soothing, and appealing. It also reflects the Planet Wisp Act music too, which I also do enjoy listening to. I could just relax to this song. Many other songs I hear from video games are fast paced and such, and although I will listen to them, they aren't really something I would want to listen to for enjoyment. I could play this song while doing anything and enjoy it. Probably even while I'm dying.

• Thumbs Up 6

Day 23 - Favorite video game track

Bullet Station Zone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvsUdv1kEDc

Very catchy for me, I find myself humming this song during classes all time (this and Verdian Forest from Pokémon).

I am not very good at talking about music, I guess I like since it is my most memorable music from Heroes, it was diffrent and fitting for the Zone.

Day #23 - Kami's Toe Tapping, Swing-Dancin' "Won't fail to cure Ninjashark's Beiber Fever lickity split" Favourite song from a Video Game

Now anyone who knows me has already assumed I'd pick this song, and I'd hate to disappoint them (I guess), so I'll have to go with the good old "King Dedede" theme that appears in various Kirby games, with some of the standout examples being the Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Star Star, Epic Yarn and Returns to Dreamland (not to mention the version of the song that appears in the anime~).

Listen to that! Noone else needed to bother posting anything~

To put it plainly, I like King Dedede's theme simply because I like the tune. It's a simple little tune admittedly (considering it's been carried with the character all the way from his first appearance on the Game Boy), but it just manages to be so catchy and upbeat, while still retaining an air of both regal-ness and a hint intimidation, which is pretty in like with the character's personality in alot of ways. The best part about it though, is that most of the time you wouldn't assume that such a bombastic and energetic tune would be used as a boss fight, but it manages to work so well in that situation.

It's actually interesting though, that the song was actually a decent bit shorter back on the Game Boy. Originally the song only had the first portion (verse I guess) and would simply loop that (which is alright I guess, but it kinda grows tiresome after a while). It was in Kirby Super Star that the song was extended by adding the extra section (which I guess is the chorus or something? iunno), and in my opinion that's its a significant improvement to the song, particularly since the second part of the song has a good bit range and scale to it that the first part (which can seem a bit like a drone if it goes too long itself).

this is the original version of the song, compare with the above video to get what I mean :V

And since I have a large number of favourite songs...I won't bother with honourable mentions (too lazy to list em all)

• Thumbs Up 7

Day 23 - Favorite Song/Track from a Video Game

Live and Learn - Sonic Adventure 2

Yup, I'm serious.

No, really, this is my favorite song in video game history.

I love this song for so many freaking reasons. Part of it being atmosphere, to be honest. It plays when you're in space, saving the world and everyone on it as two flying hedgehogs from a giant lizard fused with a freaking cannon. Seriously, how many times have you been put into a scenario like that?

This music starts playing and it gets you freakin' PUMPED! You're pretty much ready to kick the shit out of anything when you listen to this. I remember that sometimes I would actually go back to this level, if anything, JUST to listen to the music. it wasn't until the glorious years of me discovering Youtube that I was able to freely listen to this song without people yelling at me that I was running out of time. This song is a part of my god damn childhood.

I also just love it, the rock sound that it has to it that's absolutely amazing. The guitar solo, the singing, everything! It's so fast paced and awesome. I never find myself getting tired of it.

Dpart.jpg

if he ever ask you if you played Street Fighter....don't answer

Deadpools Managed quickly to climb up the Ladder and become one of my Alltime Favourite Comic Book Characters, and Likewise out of all the rather Great Tracks MvC3 has to offer, Deadpools Theme is my Favourite.

it's Funny, it's Catchy and it fits the Character really well, simply put.

Hell to the yeah! Deadpool and his theme are both incredible awesome.

"Who was I supposed to kill again..? HAH! Doesn't matter!"

Edited by krazystitch
  • Thumbs Up 3

As much as I love all versions of Dedede's theme, the original GB version has a special place in my heart and I find myself preferring the

(which had an otherwise pretty bland soundtrack) because of that electric umph it gives to the KDL1 incarnation.

As far as the extended theme goes, I adore the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaVMJKlFYTs. KDL3's sound font is gorgeous.

• Thumbs Up 3

Day 23 - Favorite Song

I'll choose Area select - Planet Wisp

It's clam, soothing, and appealing. It also reflects the Planet Wisp Act music too, which I also do enjoy listening to. I could just relax to this song. Many other songs I hear from video games are fast paced and such, and although I will listen to them, they aren't really something I would want to listen to for enjoyment. I could play this song while doing anything and enjoy it. Probably even while I'm dying.

And... why didn't we get a remix of this as the White World theme of Planet Wisp in Generations? Would have been stellar.

Also the Empire City Night Hub theme is pretty much perfect.

Day #23 - Kami's Toe Tapping, Swing-Dancin' "Won't fail to cure Ninjashark's Beiber Fever lickity split" Favourite song from a Video Game

Now anyone who knows me has already assumed I'd pick this song, and I'd hate to disappoint them (I guess), so I'll have to go with the good old "King Dedede" theme that appears in various Kirby games, with some of the standout examples being the Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Star Star, Epic Yarn and Returns to Dreamland (not to mention the version of the song that appears in the anime----

Drool%20Rainbows%20HD.png

...you will send me a link to such footage or music. Right now.

• Thumbs Up 1

kKoopa's road is just the perfect tone of the bowser levels. Playing through bower in dark world stage leading up to the boss battle with bowser felt epic as hell. This piece of music suited the level so perfectly, like your in bowser's lair and the music is just bumping as you go farther and farther through the stage. Ah I just love this song.

Had to mention this one the opening stage from x3 was just so damn catchy. Once I first played that level and heard the music I was instantly bobbing my head from start to finish.

Day 23: Favorite Song/Track from a Video Game.

Favorite song? This one's easy.

The Sun Rises - Okami

I could write pages about how great Okami is if I really needed to, there are many damn good reasons why I choose it as my favorite game of all time, and the soundtrack is definitely one of them. The final boss wasn't my favorite boss in the world, but holy shit this song is amazing. This is the song that plays right as everyone starts to believe in Amaterasu and the battle takes a notable shift to your favor. They could've went with something dark the emphasize the great evil that the Final Boss is, they could've did something representing the clash between good vs. evil and it would've worked just as well. Instead they went with this, a song that is a wonderful representation of just who Amaterasu is: a majestic and powerful godess. It's called "The Sun Rises" for a reason after all.

*Big Drool Pic*

...you will send me a link to such footage or music. Right now.

Please don't drool rainbows on the carpet. Those stains are tough as hell to get out... =/. But since you insist on it~

Dieting has never been so fabulous, amirite?

Edited by Kamicciolo
  • Thumbs Up 3

Day 23 - Favourite Video Game Track

Scapegoat Wax - Aisle 10 (from Jet Set Radio Future)

First of all, the background story

When we were younger, myself and my cousins would all gather round the Dreamcast/Xbox at my Nan's house and spend hours playing through Sonic Adventure (1 & 2),Jet Set Radio and Jet Set Radio Future. We would take it in turn playing levels with different characters, solving puzzles together and coming up with 'wouldn't it be cool if..' ideas.

Anyway, one of the fondest memories I have of of these times is sitting round and being blown away by the Jet Set soundtracks (bear in mind that we were all between the ages of 8-12 so it didn't take too much to 'blow' us away). We used to sit and laugh at the lyrics in the J-pop/electronic dance songs and we even played that often that we would sing along with the majority of them (well, the audible ones anyway!) The song that really stands out for me from those games is Aisle 10 (Hello Alison) by Scapegoat Wax.

For those of you who have heard this song or take the time out to listen to it after this post, you could argue that this is one of the more 'boring' song from the soundtrack, but for me the memories that it evokes in my mind makes it a clear winner. Even today, my cousins (who I see very rarely nowadays) and I quote lyrics from this song to each other and it never fails to bring a smile to my face. No matter what mood i'm in this song always cheers me up and makes me think back to the good ol' days.

Edited by gim_gam
  • Thumbs Up 1

My favorite video game song would probably have to be Live Life from SatBK. Johnny's vocals for this song were pretty awesome, the lyrics were pretty good too, and that violin (it's a violin right?) was beautiful! . The tone for this song is a little different than most other Sonic game ending themes, as this one is a bit more soft than hard rock, and given the game it comes from, Live Life fits in perfectly.

Edited by thebluehedgehog
  • Thumbs Up 4

I'm going to be terribly unoriginal and say

Stickerbrush Symphony from Donkey Kong Country 2

No need to link it, someone already has. David Wise always provides a wonderful soundtrack, and this song was the pinnacle of his talent back in the SNES days. The unique soundchip of the SNES allowed for Wise to create this song. I'm not good at describing the mechanics of a song, so I'll just leave it at that and say that the thing is beautiful. It also lends itself very nicely to remixing!

Edited by Crow T. Robot
  • Thumbs Up 3

Day 23 - Favorite Song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx3UMGqwVTM

FFFFF- I love this song so much. Like I said in my last status update, Persona 3 is a game that I adored for being stylish and creative from the get-go. The music is no exception, of course, and the same goes for the rest of the games in the series. In fact, it was Persona 4's soundtrack that introduced me to the entire series. But we're not here to talk about P4, are we. Mass Destruction holds this spot (a very honorable one, might I add, considering I listen to a lot of video game music) for several reasons. As one would expect from battle music, the song is very fast-paced, very intense, and does a great job of getting me pumped for battle. But that's not why it got this spot. Before playing Persona (the "BP" days, as I like to call them), my only exposure to rap/hip-hop was the garbage that most people listen think of when the term is brought up. You know; Lil (IT'S SPELLED WITH TWO T'S AND AN E, GOD DAMMIT) Wayne, 50 Cent, and those other losers. I absolutely loathed it then, and I absolutely loathe it now, and because of that, I was convinced that the genre was completely unsalvageable and was utterly doomed to suck by concept alone. Again, BP. This song changed all of that. Hell, this whole game changed that. I love the rhythm, the vocals, the lyrics.... everything. I love everything about this song.

If you don't like rap music, give it a listen. You just might enjoy it. If you already do, then I'm sure you'll enjoy this as well.

Oh, and it was this song that actually got me to try and rap at one point. Not trying that again. >.>

The official remixes are all fantastic as well; with the Live Band Album remix being my favorite rendition of the song. Check 'em out!

And because I can't believe I never even mentioned this song when I originally did this on Facebook, here's my runner up:

Nothing sums up the quirkiness of the Disgaea series as well as this song here. It's incredibly catchy, goofy, and it knows it is't going to be taken seriously. If there's one thing these games aren't, it's serious.

Man, listening to this makes me wish I had my own awesome hymn to listen to all the time. D:

Edited by Dissident

Okay, I love a lot of songs, so I'll pick a couple of my favorites, both BGM and vocal themes.

Dear god, I just love this song for some reason. Maybe it's the piano in it, maybe because it's awesome without being another rock song, or maybe because of that techno in it. Regardless, it's one of those songs that I listened to and immediately loved. <3

I just love this song, as it's so amazing. Hell I hadn't heard it til I played the SA1 demo on XBLA, and then I realized why people love it so much. This is another amazing song, but on the other end of the scale with hardcore rock. This is another one of those songs that I listened to and just immediately fell in love with. Plus, the lyrics are a great description, even if they do fit Blaze better than Sonic. :P

• Thumbs Up 2

Shit, how could I forget this? I'm gonna say this is definitely another favourite of mine, as it was the first final boss music I ever heard. It's punchy, it's intense...it's so perfect for Dedede! This version will always be my favourite for nostalgia reasons, but the theme and its extended version are nothing short of perfect boss music, I'd say.

Edited by Swiss

Welp i didn't get a chance to post last night so I'll go ahead and add my favorite cutscene for Day 22:

Anyone who can say that they didn't tear up when watching this needs to go down now. This is my favorite moment in the game, because really I like moments like this, a point where the characters the protagonist has met over the course of the game reflect on the time they've spent with her, and band together to ignite a certain passion within our hero's soul that allows her to defeat the big bad, and ascend to godliness. I know it may seem a bit corny when I try to explain it, but that music, and Issun's resolve are the really touching parts, as well as when you think back to how these same characters were off before Ammy came along and helped them out.

Favorite Song:

Credits theme - Super Monkey Ball 2

My god, the nostalgia this one single track brings to me. This song basicallu describes the feeling of triumph I felt the first time i made it through all 10 levels of the main story mode. After all of the frustration, anger, and control slinging, I had finally conquered Dr. Badboon's space base, and saved every banana in the fucking world from tasting like curry, but what really sweetens the deal is that this is possibly the first credits sequence I got the pleasure of seeing, and marked my title as a gamer. It really touches me deep to hear this one, and I'm sure many others who've played the whole thing few also feel my sentiments on this one.

Also I'd like to throw some love at:

Door into Summer - Sonic Generations

King Dedede's Theme - Various Kirby Games

The Revenge of Meta Knight - Various Kirby Games

Bubbly Washing Machine - Super Monkey Ball 2

Edited by Cerp
  • Thumbs Up 2

Favorite Song

The Fragrance of Dark Coffee (Godot's theme: Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations)

I've got more than one version of this on my iPhone...

The song is the same throughout the course of the game, but it starts to feel different once you have the whole story in perspective.

When you first hear it when you meet Godot, you think it sounds smooth. Godot's a cool, albeit kinda goofy character, shrouded in mystery, and this song brings that out. It would always play when he spat out some weird, cryptic, cool-guy poetry you could never hope to understand.

But as you learn more about Godot, who he was, why he hates you and what he's capable of doing, you see the song in a different light. You realize that it's not just meant to be cool, but sad. Godot lost the one person in life he loved the most, had his eyesight ruined so that he's forced to wear a stupid mask, and didn't even care about killing Misty Fey, as long as he protected Maya-- and all of this was supposed to be for Mia's sake.

The song captures both Godot's awesomeness and his suffering at the same time.

And besides fitting the character on multiple levels, it's just plain awesome.

• Thumbs Up 9

Day 23 and My Favorite Soundtrack in a Video Game. This one is quite difficult for me as I've listened to alot of soundtracks for games over the years and that adds to the difficulty of finding just a single one that is my favorite. There is one that stands out the most and this is at the top of my list. Ladies and Gents open your ears to this piece of audio goodness.

Rear Flutterblast #19 from NFS Hot Pursuit 1

This soundtrack has alot going for it. It has high a energetic beat, changing tone throughout the length, and it makes me smile. Sure its from a racing game but very rarely do racing games have good soundtracks to race to other than the engine note. It helps me focus on taking on the course and opponents but also has a calming effect before hitting full stride. These are just a few of the reasons why I like this soundtrack without growing a beard describing it in detail.

• Thumbs Up 1