Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games

Sami

The Amerigo Cutscene, from StarCraft

The thing I love about StarCraft's cutscenes is that only a couple of them directly involve the core characters: the rest are basically short side-stories that are only tangentially related to the main plot but add a lot to the game's atmosphere. They give you a sense of what's happening at ground level, and that's hugely beneficial in an RTS.

This cutscene in particular is a favourite of mine because it includes just about every element of StarCraft that I love. It manages to be tense, comedic and action-packed over the course of just four minutes. It involves a location that appeared in a mission without being a high-res retread of what happened in that mission. It gives us a great look at the crappy, second-hand style of Terran ships (and this is a super high-tech science vessel, even) and the bright but worn-out and graffitied Marine armour. It reminds the player of just how creepy the Zerg are, in the middle of a campaign where you're controlling them. It's sort of scary but also empowering. It's great stuff.

Runners-up:

from Warcraft III, which was fantastic right up until Arthas' incredibly cheesy speech at the end. Way to kill the mood, man.

of Final Fantasy III DS, which encompasses everything that's great about classic Final Fantasy.

of Sonic Unleashed, because seriously it is so goddamn pretty.

in The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks, for being adorable, genuinely uplifting and completely hilarious.

Uh... I'm sure there are others. I love a good cutscene.

Edited by Octarine
  • Thumbs Up 3

Day 22 - Favorite Cinematic

God, I just can't decide for this. I believe it's going to be a 3-way tie.

Sonic CD Opening (US)

I just love this opening so much. The song is great, the animation is pretty good for the time, and it's got Sonic running around, doing parkour, screwing over physics, and essentially doing what I would love for gameplay (and does indeed seem to be implemented at least partially.) I remember when I first saw this on the Mega Collection. <3

Sonic Adenture (DX) Opening

Oh god, this opening. It's just so amazing. Chaos destroying the world, and creating the aquatic version of Crisis City. All the scenes of the game flashing, Speed Highway rotating (and justifying the BGM's lyrics,) and also, I had never heard Open Your Heart until I saw this. I had downloaded the demo for SA1 on XBLA and played. Then this music played, and I realized what song it was. It was then I understood how absolutely amazing that song is (and the subsequently epic opening scene.)

Sonic Unleashed Opening

Of course I simply had to post this, because it's one of the best openings in any Sonic game. It's like the CD opening on crack, with boost, HD graphics, and that Hedgehog Engine. And once again, it shows Sonic being epic, using almost every move in his moveset, including Super Sonic, making it the only time it's been done in the beginning of a Sonic game other than Sonic 3. Eggman also tricks Sonic for once instead of Knuckles, making it one of the few times he's been fooled, not to mention being stripped of his power, being reduced to a mere animal.

Day 22 - Favourite Cutscene

Vinyl Scratch here...

I had to think this one, but I WILL get flamed for this. *flameshield on*

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - "For The Record" introduction

When I got Modern Warfare 2 for the PC and started the campaign, I was like "duuuuuuuuuuuuuuude" when the introduction showed up. It felt so epic, with that background music and with the recap of Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare's events.

It has a beautiful layout, I mean, the world with green lines and dots in strategic positions as if it were a military radar and the likes, plus the iconic "What the hell kind of name is Soap?" muttered by Captain Price in the very first mission of Modern Warfare series.

The music is really epic, I feel pumped for the campaign and be like "MY BODY IS READY"

Hans Zimmer is a god.

And you know it.

Edited by Spider-Man 2099

Mine's today is easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgcMjqJQoTA

Shadow's Infiltration from Sonic 06. After his own game we all wondered where Shadow would go next. He was dropping his major character point. This cutscene gave us a dose of where he was headed. He had become awesome again, like in Adventure 2. Without his brooding past he was able to move on and this cutscene just has me grinning and head banging every time.

• Thumbs Up 7

This really gives you the feeling that you've won the fight. You beat the bad guy.

Also Jack Black.

Honourable Mentions:

Sonic Unleashed Opening

Sonic CD Opening/Ending

Earthworm Jim Ending

Sonic 1 Ending

...many more that I can't think of.

• Thumbs Up 2

What's that one scene in DMC 4?

That one where Dante does theater

The scenes where Dante literally does theater before fighting whatshis face, that bug guy. Yeah, I can't remember the boss' name but, that doesn't mean the scene isn't so ridiculous that it's awesome. There's not much more I can say about it, other than that's the scene I think of when I think "Devil May Cry".

• Thumbs Up 2

Day #22 - Kami's Wonderfully Animated "Much better than Ninja's collection of AMVs and Youtube Poops" Favourite Cinematic in a Video Game

Nothing quite gets you siced up for a fighting game like a cool intro, and Dragonball Final Bout doesn't fail on that front (shame about the blocky graphics and slow paced nature of it though :V). The entire intro is beautifully drawn in the exact same style as the original anime, and is oh so very fluid as you watch the main characters from the show (or at least the ones who were included in the game) duke it out between each other, all while some kickass music plays in the background. What says fighting game better than that?

It's all pretty fanservice really, getting to see Goku and Frieza duke it out once again (though not for "5 minutes" like last time :V), followed by Gohan beating the tar out of Super Buu before he shifts to the Kid Buu form, then Piccolo and Perfect Cell smacking each other around a bit, then finally Goku and Vegeta going at it as everyone expects them too. Even the stuff that follows based on GT is kickass, with Trunks slicing through mini bots like paper, then Pan blasting a giant robot (which seems to drop a puppy...so someone stole Eggman's technology apparently :V), then ending with Goku (as a kid again) racing ahead, past images of his old foes, to face the "ominous figure" (which was really Super Baby, the villain of the arc of GT running at the time of the game's release).

This scene is one of my favourite moments for Eggman. It opens with Sonic and Tails coming across another generator (making you think it's just another scene before the boss fight), when it quickly shows you Eggman, lying it wait to personally spring a trap on Sonic, only to end up getting Tails (through no fault of his own) and quickly making do with the situation as it unfolds as he proceeds to merciless taunt Sonic like the evil bastard he is, as Sonic finds himself completely unable to do anything to help his friend.

Although things seem to be going in Eggman's favour (with him even proposing forcing the two heroes to fight), the Mind Control quickly wears off on Tails, leaving the frustrated doctor to pound his fists down on his Egg-Mobile's panel like a kid who's been told they're not getting Ice Cream, before deciding to skedaddle while setting up the boss for that stage.

I can't help but enjoy Eggman's dialogue throughout the scene (or through most of his scenes really). I also like the Generations plot-twist reveal scene for the exact same reasons (spoilers :V). Mike Pollock really conveys that callous, self-centered attitude about Eggman well.

Honourable Mentions

The Sonic & Chip shorts - Short little animations that you unlock in Unleashed, starring Sonic and Chip getting into crazy (non) adventures in the regions they explore, all created by the same studio who animated the fabulous opening for said game. If I have to explain any more than that then I'm not gonna, since its a waste of typing (go watch them yourself if your so curious >:V).

The Openings to the Mario & Sonic games - No matter what people may say about the quality of the actual games, noone can deny that the opening cutscene always looks gorgeous~. Not to mention its great to see all of the characters alongside each other (and in alot of cases, doing things they typically wouldn't normally do in their own games).

Openings to Gamecube Mario Sport games - One thing I kinda miss from the recent Mario sports games. These games always opened with a scene showing everyone partaking in the particular sport of the game, and through it all Wario and Waluigi would be stealing all of the spotlight. There's their plot with Bowser in Power Tennis to overthrow the current tournament and just reek havoc, and then there's their bumbling around as they try to beat someone at Golf in Toadstool Tour, only to accidentally anger a grouchy Bowser... Wario & Waluigi make these worth watching alone.

Blooper Reel for Kirby Super Star Ultra - Much the same reason as my "Funniest Moment" choice, I just enjoy seeing the "blunders on set" approach. There are a few naff ones, but the good ones (like the ones based on Great Cave Offensive) always get a chuckle outta me.

CGI scenes in Sonic games - ...these are just great to watch...no doubt about it.

• Thumbs Up 3

Day 22: Favorite cinematic

Here we have Dante and Agnus putting on the most ridiculous theatrical moment ever. It makes absolutely no sense, and it's completely over-dramatic to the point where it's really just parodying itself. There is absolutely no subtlety to this scene at all, there's spotlights, ridiculous camera movements, completely over the top acting, an overly dramatic piece of music playing in the background, party poppers, and colorful confetti. The best part about this scene is that it literally came out of fucking nowhere. You're just cruising along to the church place, walk inside and then BAM, this happens.

It's campy as all hell and I love it.

Edited by Pinkie Pie
  • Thumbs Up 1

Day 22 - Favourite Cinematics

Sonic Unleashed Opening

I really like this opening, it shows what looks like another adventure for Sonic but full of adrenaline and action.

Robots exploding, Sonic showing all of his skills, Super Sonic and finally Eggman making Sonic look like a fool.

The Dreamcast cameo is also cool.

Opening - Sonic CD - Microsoft Windows - 1996

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: Successfully pull off a 20-day combo of not posting anything Sonic related

"Abloo-bloo-bloo, he didn't post the superior Euro version." Don't get me wrong, You Can Do Anything is a catchy song. But it's kind of hard to take Sonic seriously if there's a lady singing par-level Engrish backed by two hip-happenin' dudes who would most likely get beaten up at my old high school if anyone heard their voices.

Sonic Boom on the other hand gives you the impression that Sonic will not take shit from anybody. Not only that, but it seems as if it's more in-sync with the animation, i.e. that first guitar riff that kicks in as soon as you realize "Woah, did Sonic just make rainbow-splashes?", that "siiiiiiiiiiiiide" that changes in pitch along with Sonic's dip in the canyon-halfpipe, and among other little things such as those.

Even years later, it's still a beautiful piece of animation. And the tragic part is that it would take another 15 years before we were able to perform just a quarter of the cool shit that's in this intro. :U

Runner-Ups: Opening (Super Smash Bros. Melee) and Opening (Pokémon Sapphire Version)

• Thumbs Up 7

Day 22 - Favorite cutscene

tumblr_lt495emqEC1qdtw9eo1_500.png

(Image wasn't the exact part, but youuu understand)

Ending of Sonic Rush.

Dunno why. Wasn't that big. Wasn't amazing. It was just it. Kinda moving, kinda touching. It was a pretty good ending, but the release of Rush Adventure kinda ruined it, since they met again. You've got an unlikely pair fighting against a very likely pair, and the defeat them. I can't really say much more, I don't feel like typing today. That's all I got.

Edited by Victory Defender
  • Thumbs Up 2

Day 22 - Favorite Cutscene

Age of Empires 2 - Intro

Age of Empires 2 was one of my first RTS games, so first impressions counted. Luckily, the intros of games in this series usually show you all you need to know about the gameplay. This one has large-scale medieval warfare with castles, trebuchets, the works. (Younger me loved medieval stuff.) I also find the chess motif a clever touch, especially for a strategy game like this. It added another layer to the cutscene rather than it just being a generic action battle-y kind of thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Surprised no one chose this one but

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8tnvXHIM5w

The Opening of Dissidia: Final Fantasy

This opening is the definition of epic.

You have all your favorite (and not so favorite) Final Fantasy Heroes and Villains duking it out in an all out struggle that decides the fate of two worlds. The CGI is amazing, especially for a PSP game, and the fight choreography is brilliant, I especially love the fact that the heroes aren't facing off against their respective villains, instead they mix it up (I could hear a million fangirls squeal when Squall was facing off against Sephiroth) and even use team work on more than one occasion (Zidane and Tidus), and of course, the music is epic as shit, especially at it's climax where all the characters charge into one another in one big clusterfuck.

It's just pure fanservice and I fucking love it.

Big Damn Heroes - Super Smash Bros Brawl

Same thing, 100% awesome in every way, and brillant fanservice.

Just the fact that both Bowser and Ganondorf are in command of a giant ass star ship TOGETHER just makes me giddy. But there's also the fact that once they destroy the Halberd, we see familiar ships of all our favorite characters (Arwing, Blue Falcon, Samus' Ship and Olimar's ship) going headfirstm guns and dodging a flurry of energy beams like total badasses.

And then...

Kirby comes out of nowhere and owns an ENTIRE MOTHERFUCKING STARSHIP LIKE A BOSS!

Do I need to even explain anything after that? No? Good? Best cutscene ever.

• Thumbs Up 3

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

Stowaway

Remember when the GTA series was satirical without having its head shoved so far up its ass in pretentiousness that it caused an infinite loop?

I do, and Mike Toreno represented that just about perfectly. All of his missions were filled with glorious, hilarious cynicism; presented with pitch-perfect delivery by James Woods. And Stowaway was the best one of all.

• Thumbs Up 2

Final Fantasy X Storming Bevelle

441345-bigthumbnail.jpg

Final Fantay X wedding sequence. From the graphics to the music to the sheer exciting atmosphere, this scene is epic! Watching Tidus and the party chain surf down to crash the wedding always gives me this unexplainable thrill! I can't count how many times I have rewatched this scene and it has yet to become dull!biggrin.pngcool.png

• Thumbs Up 1

zJcCr.png

Watch it. If you aren't at all interested in Persona 3 after watching that... I don't know what to tell you. This is a game for cool people.

Carbo already picked this one today, so I have to admit I don't really have much to add in terms of explanations. Just read his post first.

As for my thoughts; the scene just oozes originality. You're attacked by a monster (called a Shadow) that actually looks pretty interesting; it's got a mask representing one of the thirteen tarot card arcana, and it's composed completely of... well, a shadow. Nice. The moon is hovering over the dorm rooftop, creating a really cool cinematic effect as far as imagery goes. Nice, nice. And finally, you've got the summoning of your Persona; Orpheus. You shoot yourself in the head to see the manifestation of a hidden facet of your personality. "Thou art I... and I am thou." FREAKING. AWESOME.

Persona 3, just like it's successor offers a very unique experience from beginning to end; everything's stylized, everything's different, and everything's handled very competently. *This* is a scene I could imagine working perfectly in a movie without any changes at all, and that's something I'd like to see more of in my games.

Edited by Dissident
  • Thumbs Up 1

Let's see how many people choose Unleashed's opening.

Favorite cinematic: Sonic Unleashed's opening

After seeing Sonic so...soulless in Sonic 06 (his best moments were his opening and closing scenes), Unleashed's opening just blew me away...it was just awesome. It may be a bit lengthy, but it set up the beginning of the story pretty well. You're treated with a beautifully detailed CGI opening with a downright epic scene with Sonic and Eggman fighting, to Eggman tricking Sonic and Sonic becoming a Werehog...with very...detailed fur. In terms of Sonic openings at least, I'd say it ranks up there along with CD's opening.

• Thumbs Up 5

I've thought of another one.

Okami is a very pretty game. So, when you get a cutscene reward for blooming a Guardian Sapling, it really is a reward. These things all gave me a huge giddy smile without fail.

Pretty? Scrath that. Bloody gorgeous.

• Thumbs Up 1

Like with the story category, I'm going to split this one. For me, it's Strongest Impact and Best Aesthetic.

Strongest Impact: Confronting Andrew Ryan

People look at Bioshock's story simply as an exploration of applied Objectivism, from its philosophical grounds to its consequences, but there's really more to it than that. It's a Juvenalian satire of video game design, but particularly modern video game design. But the confrontation with Andrew Ryan is where it all comes together. It reminds you that coming into this game, you, the player, had absolutely no context coming into this game. As soon as you entered Rapture, you took a side simply because that's the way the game directed you. And you had no say in any mission you were given, you simply obeyed (apart from choosing whether or not to harvest Little Sisters, but you were never really "commanded" to do either, so you had agency as far as that. It's actually ironic that the game flaunts this as a moral choice system, as the ingenuity of this game's story is in how it's the direct opposite of that.) The kicker is that when you were told to do something, you never questioned them, because you knew you that this is the path the game intended for you to go. Even when Sander Cohen tells you to kill his former students, you probably didn't give it a second thought. There's no way around it, so just go for it, right? You aren't meant to choose the path you take through Rapture, you're merely meant to fight through it. But along comes Andrew Ryan to point this out, essentially say, "You know why you never questioned anything in this game? Because you were guided here by the designers, not your own volition." The "designers" in this context take the form of the phrase "would you kindly," the phrase oh-so subtly scattered between Atlas' broadcasts. It comes to light that your character wasn't the only one psychologically conditioned- you were. You're given a mission, you take it. You get ADAM, you spend it. You die, you're thrown right back in and try again. You're a mouse put in a giant, elaborate Skinner Box that won't let you leave until you get to the end of the game.

But back to Ryan. Here is a man so desperate to cling to the idea of free will when his society founded solely on its existence has crumbled before his eyes that he tries to prove he's in control to the end by consciously allowing another man to kill him. Yet seeing this man standing in front of him, guided here to kill without a thought in his brain that he can call his own, is the nail in the coffin of his ideals. But the most brilliant thing about this cutscene... is that it's a cutscene. While killing him with even a button prompt would have been more satisfying, that would destroy the point of the situation. The very last move he intends to make with his life is that you understand that you didn't choose to come here, a carefully outlined set of circumstances did that for you. So after this entire journey he denies you the satisfaction of killing him with your controller. You've already been conditioned to do so by the game's design, that killing equates to progress and power, and if not that, that your ultimate objective for this game was to find and kill this man, so if you didn't do it, you wouldn't win. So by being a cutscene, the game tells you that being in control would not change the outcome of this scenario. And the implication? That a game, if not life itself, can't provide a player with absolute freedom, but that the best thing it can give is the illusion of it.

Runners up: Mario 64's ending, Metroid Prime 2's ending, Eggman launches Sonic from the Space Colony Ark (Sonic Adventure 2)

Best Aesthetic: Intro to Armored Core Nexus

For this category, I'm talking about pure spectacle alone, so it surprised me more than anyone that I didn't choose a cutscene from a Platinum Games title. Yet FromSoftware should get credit for having some of the best introductory sequences for any game ever, often (and unfortunately) outshining the game itself. But above all that, this cinematic kicks all kinds of absolute ass.

Really, the amount of detail in this is mind blowing. The rain on the mech's armor, the spreads of missiles, the crashes and shattered glass, holy fuck. The raven feather was an awesome touch too. And the soundtrack is a fantastic complement. Just freaking win. ...I don't really have much else to say since it speaks for itself.

Runners up: Sonic Unleashed Intro (hah!), pre-final boss cutscene (Vanquish), Metal Gear Rising Trailer (shut up, trailers count), any cutscene in El Shaddai, Shadow the Hedgehog's intro

Edited by SuperStingray

DAY 22 - FAVORITE CINEMATIC

For a sports game, Nintendo really outdid themselves with this intro. The CGI is amazing here and I love all the different effects they threw in here. It was quite cool to see Mario & Bowser hover over the stadium in an airship to jump down. They really gave Bowser some character when they had him stop Mario from going down first.

The whole sky dive part is awesome too.

• Thumbs Up 2

Star Ocean Till the End of Time

Fayt's Destructive Gene Awakens

Okay, yeah. I'm sure we've all seen these sort of scenes before where one of the important characters has some odd and overly powerful ability. But damn if I didn't think this cutscene was pretty friggin' cool. The voice acting in it is rather...terrible, but when I first watched this cutscene I snapped into a sort of childish daze of pure awe. That battleship that Fayt destroys pretty much harrasses your ass through the whole game and makes life pretty intolerable considering they keep destroying the areas you visit, so seeing Fayt just up and blast those bastards away made for a fun time.

LoZ: Skyward Sword

The Goddess Harp/Ghirahim Attacks

This game had quite a lot of great cutscenes, but every time I see this cutscene I just know that crap is really going down. I'd have posted the one with Zelda confining herself within the Goddess Crystal and Link showing one of the most emotional moments ever in a Zelda game, but that would certainly fit more with the saddest scene section. Between the short moment where Zelda gets to see Link for a split moment until Ghirahim attacks to Impa's shield shattering and Link obtaining the Goddess Harp,(a la rather funny little 'item get' input) I always look forward to seeing this scene.

Honorable Mentions

>Sonic Unleashed Opening. It's awesome, plain and simple.

>Sonic CD intro. I adored this as a kid and I still really love it.

>Kingdom Hearts II intro scene

As a small input, the cutscenes in the Tales of series are always fantastic as well. They stick to 2D animated scenes and they're always really great to watch, I just couldn't really pick which one.

Edited by Briaaaah

FAVORITE CUTSCENE IN A VIDEO GAME

PORTAL 2: GLADOS AWAKENS

Playing Portal 2 for the first time, I was immediately delighted with little Wheatley, the now-dilapidated Aperture, and the whole legacy of your defeat of GLaDOS from the first game. It's all a great preface to when you run into her busted ass again.

When I first waltzed past her, I remember fearing that she would pop up and scare me, and was relieved when she didn't. So, I put my guard down. When Wheatley got in the little thingy, I remember being all "D'aw Wheatley's the big man on campus now bitch." Not expecting the events about to unfold.

Suddenly, shit starts moving. What was that? Was that a part of GLaDOS? No, it couldn't--D'OH SHIT

The previous parts of the game now felt like a tutorial, because I was crapping myself. Everything about the presentation here is perfect. The deathly seriousness to her tone, the way you can't move and how helpless and small you feel. Am I going to die? Wheatley, what do you--D'OH SHIT

She seemingly KILLS WHEATLEY, my little buddy. I honestly felt sad (obviously not knowing what he would do later on) and angry at GLaDOS. Then she picked me up. Is she going to kill me? Will I test for eternity? Only time would tell.

This scene also has some FANTASTICALLY creepy music to it.

Well, that's all I got for today. We'll be right back with more Crank-Yankers.

• Thumbs Up 4

I was really trying to avoid sonic references, but I can't resist for this one:

First off is the Sonic Unleashed intro for obviously stated reasons.

Next is:

SONIC VS. SHADOW (SONIC ADVENTURE 2)

I just love this cutscene. This has got to be one of the best buildups to a boss battle ever. The music. The dialogue. Their actions. They just all worked together and unified to create something awesome. That's all i can say.

INTRO (DRAGON BALL Z: BUDOKAI 2)

This...this right here...this is one of the many childhood remnants for what I like to call the "Toonami Kids". I was one of these kids, and was, and still am, a huge Dragon Ball fan. I played pretty much every Dragon Ball game i could get my hands on, even some of the terrible old ones (coughcoughcoughUltimateBattle22coughcoughcough). This game, although admittedly one of my least favorite DBZ games, had a friggin epic opening. Just watching it before posting this reply gave me multiple chills. The animation looks absolutely fantastic (and constantly makes me ask "WHY IN THE HELL WASN'T DBZ KAI ANIMATED LIKE THIS!?!?!?!??!!?!?!?") and the music is awesome as well. Every time I see this, I instantly get reminded of the good ol' days (mainly '99-04) and it just makes me feel completely happy inside...

I miss Toonami so much... :'(

Edited by Alien/Renegade

Opening of Sonic Unleashed.

Hands down the best cutscene in any Sonic game ever. It perfectly encompasses everything that makes Sonic awesome. Eggman's huge ass armada, Sonic's display of badassery, Sonic vs Eggman, Sonic going SUPER IN THE BEGINNING OF THE GAME. SUPER SONIC PWNING EGGMAN'S FLEET! EGGMAN NEUTRALIZING SUPER SONIC FOR THE FIRST TIME! EGGMAN BLOWING THE FUCKIN PLANET APART! It just keeps getting better and better!

Honerable mentions:

Hero story opening from SA2: Another crowning moment of awesome for Sonic.

The Great Invasion (SSBB): Greatest moment in Smash Bros. and all around amazing CMoA.

N summons Reshiram -> Zekrom Appears (Pokemon White): Better to read my entry on this moment under: Best Moment.

Perfect Chaos Awakens (SA1): No music, no heros to get there in time, all you can do is watch a civilisation get demolished by this force of nature. And when Chaos opens it's mouth, it's roar shakes your very soul.

Day 22 and my Favorite Cinematic in a Video Game. I am going to post something not sonic related and it's an easy choice since it is a game I mentioned previously. Ladies and Gentlemen start your engines for this:

NFS Porsche Unleashed.

This cinematic showcases the entire history of the marque up to that year in just that amount of time. From the early 356 to the 996 Turbo this game just makes you want to take those legendary cars out and race them on twisting tracks or open the throttle wide open on the Autobahn for a top speed run.