Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games

Sami

Day 17 - Funniest moments.

I think I'll sound like an ass to some but I'll just go ahead and list unintentionally funny moments.

bp5aX.jpg

Sonic Adventure - various scenes

This game aged badly, and I have a guilty pleasure about watching this game's awfully acted cutscenes (and other moments), things like watching police officers moonwalking while screaming how useless their weapons are or watch Sonic screaming "here we gooooOOOOOOOOOooooooo......"

And of course, there are also little gems like Eggman's classic "GET A LOAD OF THIS!" and the hilariously monotone Knuckles with his "oh no, oh no, GIVE ME YOUR B-oh no".

I guess Amy and Knux's song also counts as unintentionally hilarious. laugh.png

This game is too much! I don't have time to list all of it's badly aged but still hilarious moments. laugh.png

(and the same could be said about many scenes from the series)

Warhammer 40000: Dawn of War - Voice Acting. (and other things)

Or the Orks in general. tongue.png

Or this little classic:

474-drive-me-closer-i-want-to-hit-them-with-my-sword.jpg

As for intentionally funny.

I guess I should count this game since it's one of my favourites.

suBxX.jpg

Dungeon Keeper

I mentioned this before but the game is full of humor, is like a parody of most medieval tales, you are an evil overlord and command your not as evil (compared to you) minions to an evil quest to destroy all the good from the land.

The battles can get to be quite chaotic (I find that funny) and the mentor is constantly giving advice like how you'll go blind if you keep staring the Dark Mistresses or how your dungeon is so inclined that your creatures can't play marbles.

I had another moments on my head but I forgot about them, maybe I'll add them later.

EDIT: Oh fuck! I forgot about all the sillyness from Metal Gear! Thanks for pointing that princess Toro.

And there is also, Starcraft's Lester and Sarge story of love (which I've already linked before)

And DMC4's Dante and Agnus showdown of Shakespearean epicness. <3

PSO's Valentine's quest has a special place in my heart, mostly because of the mighty uncomfortable talk I had with principal Tylor about love. (seriously, why do I have to use one of my male characters for this talk? >_>)

Edited by gato
  • Thumbs Up 4

A lot of you guys have already mentioned moments I would've mentioned myself.

So for the sake of variety, I will pick one that hasn't been mentioned yet, and to be truthfully honest, it doesn't need any real explanation.

Funniest Game Moment: WarioLand: Shake It!/The Shake Dimension, Main Menu

Can you look at this and not smile or laugh? If you can, you must be made of stone or something...

• Thumbs Up 5

Day 17 - Funniest Moment from a Video Game

discworld2promotionalpobn6.jpg

Discworld 2: Missing Presumed...!?

I want to say the whole game, because the whole game is hilarious.

You play as the wizard Rincewind and are followed by your luggage (which is also your inventory) the game is a point and click adventure only it has some of the best dialogue and voice acting in a game. Eric Idle voices Rincewind and goes to town will all his comedy wit.

Every object you interact with Rincewind has a funny one liner. One area I remember well is the university gardens, theres an object simply called a 'Knob' you select that object and Rincewind walks to it and says...

"I can't touch it... ... .. I have no desire to anyway!"

The 4th wall is broken more times than Greek dinner plates, even the first cut scene has a moment where they comment on how they can't be killed off just yet as it's only the start of the game.

discworld_-2_missing_presumed_saturn-2.jpeg

At one point you travel back in time to Discworld 1 and mock your younger self for being in a graphically poorer game which didn't have as interesting quests!

This easter egg scene actually has an easter egg within it, if you keep entering it Rincewind will change his responce as he wants to be the first character in a sequel to say F**K

The plot of the game is that a powerful explosion has killed 'Death' and people are walking around undead. So they have to bring him back from the dead, however... Death isn't dead, he decided to quit, or at least take a holiday, so Rincewind has to find a replacement. The final boss is quite memorable too... it's a giant Elf Queen.

death2.jpg

"No... I like it here... Sun, surf, sand, sun... a bit more surf.

Theres so many scenes I could pick, such as a dialogue between Rincewind and Susan (deaths grand daughter), mainly due to how she mocks every single thing he does or even the dialogue between Rincewind and the psychic where they do a scene similar to the 'Fork Handles' sketch by the Two Ronnies.

But I think the funniest bit in the whole game rests at a location called 'Cart-Wheel' you travel to a cartwheel in the desert and sat on top of it is a near naked madman called S.T. Ungulant who for lack of a better word is barking mad, he's joined by his imaginary friend called Angus and at one point he yells out...

062.jpg

"ARRRGHHH!! OH THERES A PYRAMID WALKING AROUND ON LEGS!"

I so wish I could find a youtube video of that scene because it's so funny.

So this will have to do... it's the games theme song.

Honorable Mention

This...

untitled-87muw.jpg

Edited by Hogfather
  • Thumbs Up 6

Funniest moment in video game:

Pretty much any time Bowser speaks in a Mario RPG.

Nintendo's localization team is just flat out amazing, always bringing comedy to the writing for the RPGs while keeping it perfectly reasonable for the characters to say. Bowser has always been the best out of the whole lot, and then they dedicate a whole game to him with Bowser's Inside Story!

Runner Up:

The Entirety of the TellTale Sam & Max Series

Telltale manages to capture to tone of the original comic series perfectly through all seasons for these delightful adventure games.

Edited by Crow T. Robot
  • Thumbs Up 3

Missed yesterday. I have a feeling I'll miss a few more so here is todays.

Funniest moment in a video game

The entirety of Resident Evil 1's voice acting. Your here too? This game is meant to be so serious yet I can't stop laughing through the game. They rewrote this with th newer version but I laugh at moments like OH MY COD!!!! or LOOK AT THOSE MONSTEEERRS!! Hope everyone likes these.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 17 - Funniest Moment

Funniest moment would have to be this part in Sonic Colors:

Sonic loves to give smart remarks and such, but this is taking it to a new level. He talks to a robot in a condescending way, and it's already dead. I mean, there's no point to it besides stroking your own ego. Then Tails comes along, and adds to the comical moment.

Not much to say, sorry.

Day 17 (pretty obvious but...)

Alright I've been thinking...

cave-lemons.jpg

(BURNING PEOPLE! HE SAYS WHAT WE'RE ALL THINKING!)

Pretty much the entirety of Portal 2 made me laugh, especially this

Wheatley: Ah yes, Holmes vs. Moriarty, Aristotle vs. MASHY SPIKE PLATE!!!

• Thumbs Up 3

Already mentioned:

Pretty much all of Portal 2

But yes the potato bit was hilarious in particular.

Pretty much all of the Team Fortress 2 Meet The Team videos

So uhh, here's a couple of small ones:

Luigi in the Mario & Luigi series

420062marioluigibowsers.png

Yeah I love Luigi in these games. He's pretty funny in Paper Mario as well, but these are above and beyond. They are SO mean to him. But in an adorable way.

And a little, very meta joke from Left 4 Dead.

Left 4 Dead 1's DLC, The Sacrifice, came out AFTER Left 4 Dead 2 was launched.

Your objective in the campaign is to find a sailboat. When the other survivors question Bill on why it has to be a sailboat, his response? "I don't wanna be stopping every 5 minutes for gas. You know who runs around filling things up with gas? Idiots."

...Meanwhile one of the major finale-types and game modes the other set of survivors in Left 4 Dead 2 have to deal with frequently:

scavenge02noscale.jpg

(Running around filling things up with gas).

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 3

The Konohana Shuffle - Okami

Oh come on, tell me what's more entertaining than seeing an old man like Mr. Orange, get down with his funky self, and bust a few moves.

• Thumbs Up 2

Usually when something really makes me laugh in a videogame, it wasn't meant to happen.

Elder Scrolls Glitches

Let's not kid ourselves. Bethesda is not really great when it comes to polishing their games. There are some really ludicrous glitches to be found, especially in the case of Oblivion. Sometimes quest characters will get murdered in the middle of bar brawls as you walk into the room, sometimes enemies get stuck on things, and other times they find miraculous ways of killing you or themselves that were never intended possible.

Hell, THIS happened when I played Skyrim some time ago.

They AREN'T GETTING MUCH BETTER, GUYS.

TF2 has some definite contenders. The Meet the Medic trailer in particular I find hilarious, but out of the stuff that happens in-game, I really love the Soldier's quotes when he dominates another player.

Stars and stripes beats hammer and sickle! LOOK IT UP.

As TF2's backstory and universe expands, the Soldier just seems to get progressively more crazy.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 17 - Funniest Moment in a Video Game

tumblr_ln11p2tKxl1qfjonxo1_cover.jpg

The entirety of Barkley, Shut up and Jam: Gaiden

Several games are on here for moments where they don't take themselves seriously. This is not one of them. I picked this game because almost everything in it is completely deadpan. Nothing in this game causes the main characters to even bat an eye.

To put this into perspective, it is the Postcyberpocalypse, basketball has been outlawed after millions died when Charles Barkley unleashed a Chaos Dunk during one of his games. Charles Barkley is now hunted by an anti-basketball branch of the government, lead by former player Michael Jordan. And that's just the beginning.

This is a game that considers all of that normal, and if there is nothing from this game that causes you to laugh, congratulations, you have no soul.

• Thumbs Up 5

Ehh, nothing in video games have ever been all that funny to me, either stupid or.......

wait.....

what's that?

FallGroose2.png

Is that a bird or a plane? I can't quite put my finger on....

FallGroose.png

asdfghjkasdfsdfgsgasagawdfaw

Okay, imagine playing this game, just going on you merry way, soaring the skies and whatnot. Then you finally arrive at your next destination, and then out of nowhere a cutscene starts up. Next thing you see is a falling maniac with goofy hair who looks like hes out to do unspeakable things to Link, I mean just LOOK at that expression.

FallGroose3.png

This literary left me in tears, just for the fact that it comes completely out of left field in almost every aspect. I also find it funny that it was Groose who thought it was a bright idea to skyrape Link, and then 2 seconds latter begging him to save him from his own death.

But that's not all though, the ensuing conversation is just comedy gold. Mostly due to the over-the-top gestures and sounds that Groose makes at all the foreign things he sees. And even after Link explains everything he still gets some hilarious lines in.

FallGroose4.png

And finally to top it all of, Groose takes it upon himself to christen this new land with a name of dignity and respect.

FallGroose5.png

Oh god, my sides.

• Thumbs Up 4

0820-Phoenix-Wright-Ace-Attorney-Justice-For-All-U.jpg

Phoenix Wright: Justice for All

Yup, that's right. The moment from a video game that got me to laugh the most came from one that has to do with solving cases involving murder. Obviously, spoiler alert, so if you haven't played these games before, don't open and stuff.

Phoenix Buying Time

Alright, if you played "Justice for All", then you know what I'm talking about here. In the final case, it is learned that Phoenix's client, Matt Engarde, is actually the one guilty of the crime. He's the one who payed for and assigned the assassin to kill someone. He also knows that Maya is in trouble and being held somewhere. Matt says he won't let Maya go until he is given a non guilty verdict. Gumshoe says he has a lead and needs to buy time..which leads to the funniest moment in gaming history that I have ever been able to experience.

Phoenix plays it dumb and starts questioning the smallest, most unimportant details, making the most out of nowhere assumptions, and just overall creating the stupidest comments in the middle of a serious court trial in order to save the life of Maya. And it is absolutely brilliant.

"Baseballs have stitches. ARE YOU SAYING ALL BASEBALLS ARE SUSPICIOUS?!"

• Thumbs Up 5

Before I get into a huge list of Lucasarts games, one other scenario has come into mind:

Francis in Super Paper Mario was a brilliant case of humour, gently poking fun at some of the more rabid members of Nintendo's fanbase.

Now, Lucasarts. There are far, far too many. The Secret of Monkey Island, after defeating LeChuck, treats you to an Instant Replay. Its sequel is full to the brim of great scenes, from purposefully winding up Elaine to the simple "A bucket of mud. AND ITS MINE, ALL MINE!!!". Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, where even at gunpoint you can still be a wiseguy to the Nazis. Day of the Tentacle with its pure absurdity. Sam and Max Hit The Road, with its complete insanity. Grim Fandango's wit (Manny smoking whilst Glottis talks about how he loves the smell of fumes, only to say he can't imagine that). And Full Throttle, not a particularly funny game, even has something like this:

That even reappears after the credits.

Basically, if its Lucasarts, you can't really go wrong.

• Thumbs Up 3

Leon Bell cutscene from Dead Rising 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8320RHFYFM

Well, this video pretty much says everything that is needed to say.

"I bet you just get ROCK-HARD thinking about me at night, don't you Chucky?"

That made me laught for a long time, instead of trying to help me kill the guy, my brain forced me to remember that line every single damn time.

Edited by Tmsp

Funniest moment...

ok I can think of a lot, but my favorite funnies in recent history come from this series:

BlazBlue_White_Logo-500x295.jpg

Seriously, aside from actually having a full-fledged story (something rare in fighting games), this game also explores multiple endings for each character: the Canon/Good Ending, the Bad Ending, and (my personal favorite) the Joke Ending/Gag Reel. The Gag reels involve random (and absolutely wacky as hell) scenarios featuring the cast. And when I say wacky, I mean wacky. From giant robots to cosplay to a tapioca-based adventure for the ages to cursed board games, these joke endings never fail to make me chuckle. Matter of fact, here's one of my favorite ones, which involves pretty much every female (human or otherwise) fawning over the main character:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ojV0WZmra4

In addition to these endings, there are also extra segments called "Teach Me, Ms. Litchi!" (which gives players a background look at the world of BlazBlue) and "Help Me, Professor Kokonoe!" (which gives players that reach the Bad Ending advice on how to get to the Good Ending). These segments are very comedic, and can definitely provide a couple of laughs, with many jokes and references that people can enjoy. (hell, they even made a reference to the infamous action of Tea-Bagging, with one of the characters stating "You can't even do that in this game!")

Jokes aside, I gotta hand it to the English VA's. They did an outstanding job with voicing these characters, and their tremendous performance helped enhance the hilarity.

Finally, I can get back to talking about Persona. This scene here, where you and your friends go to a club and three of them somehow get drunk. The result?

KING'S GAAAAAAAME!

Just watch it and you'll see what I'm talking about. :P

God I love this game.

• Thumbs Up 2

Honestly, I'd go with a Banjo-Kazooie game, but those games are hilarious from start 'til finish and I can't pinpoint just one moment, so...

I'm pretty tired and this is still recent memory. I loved the egotistical interactions between the Eggmen and that laugh just killed me, especially followed by Robotnik's reaction. Mike Pollock is amazing. I don't know if it's because I was still feeling "new game high" but Dr. Robotnik's reveal had me laughing out loud. Nobody calls me that anymore!

I was tempted to use some scenes from Sonic '06, but I chose this because it's legitimately funny, whereas the humour in Sonic '06 wasn't exactly intended.

FUNNIEST VIDEO GAME MOMENT. BY THE WAY, YOU NEED TO TYPE AN ACTUAL PARAGRAPH.

DARK SEED 2- "HERE, MIKE. THIS WILL EXPLAIN EVERYTHING." *HEAD EXPLOSION*

So yeah, I'm sure you've all heard the tale of Mike Dawson and Rita by now. Mike Dawson, having previously saved the world from the Ancients, is having a mental breakdown. He moves back home to his mother's house in Texas to unwind. After a year, he is still having problems. Suddenly, word comes that Rita, Mike's high school girlfriend was killed after their high school reunion. Everyone seems to think Mike did it, except his friend Jack.

It would seem the Ancients are back. Mike must clear his name, solve puzzles, travel through dimensions, and defeat the Ancients. Eventually, you have to navigate the Dark World Maze. It leads Mike to the Dark World version of his home, where his mother is cooking.

"I'm back in my own kitchen! But I didn't pass through any portals..." You ask Mom about the missing butcher knife.

"HERE, MIKE.

THIS WILL EXPLAIN EVERYTHING."

*MOM'S HEAD EXPLODES*

For the record, it didn't explain ANYTHING, MOM. I honestly still laugh when I see this. What the fuck?! Why did this happen??

Slowbeef and Diabetus have the best reaction I can supply.

I hope you enjoyed this little guide to "Dark World Mom." We'll be right back with more Ugly Americans.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'd probably go with this one:

Go to 4:17

Seeing Eggman getting hit with a rock and Orbot laughing at his was so unexpected that it was funny. It was definitely nice to see after seeing him in Sonic 2006 all lifeless.

Runner up would probably be Luigi from the Mario and Luigi series, it's pretty much comic relief, but it's funny.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic and the secret rings had some chuckle worthy cutscenes, one after you save sinbad. He gives advice on how to defeat the fire genie by spraying water on him. So sonic being the smart ass he is mocks sinbad for making such a dumbass statement.

• Thumbs Up 3

Metal Wolf Chaos

metal-wolf-chaos.jpg

There are a lot of funny scenes in games. Some intentional, some not. I kind of already stated on why Sam & Max is so hilarious, and I give credit to the Mario RPGs to having some really humorous scenes, but there's only one game that I can think of whose very existence is hilarious: Metal Wolf Chaos. This will probably be the only game I use that I haven't actually played. Why? It wasn't released outside of Japan. Apparently, it was TOO AMERICAN FOR AMERICA.

Let me break it down. Michael Bay's Transformers? Campy. Bulletstorm? Ironic. Serious Sam? Crazy, over the top. Metal Wolf Chaos? EXPLODETARDED.

You play as the President of the United States, Michael Wilson. The gist of the story is that Vice President Richard Hawk has defected and is throwing a nationwide coup d'etat. You retaliate by jumping into a mech and fighting off his traitorous forces as you hunt him down.

As you can see, this game essentially brings to life what children under 7 think being the President is like as they pretend to be him on the playground. It's goddamn hilarious to watch. The voice acting, the writing, the way your character has an entire hammerspace armory in his back- I don't normally enjoy a game's story for just being ironically bad, but this takes a special kind of effort; it's systematically made to be as insane as possible and I can't let a single line go by without at least snickering at its delivery.

In conclusion, SUCK ON MY MISSILE PUNCH.

Runners up: Sam & Max, countless moments in Paper Mario 2, Fort Francis in Super Paper Mario, anything involving Luigi in the Mario & Luigi games, TERIAAAA!!! (Sonic Adventure 2)

Edited by SuperStingray
  • Thumbs Up 3