Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games

Sami

Nineteenth: Favourite Villain

Kefka_by_Little_Foot.jpg

Final Fantasy VI: Kefka Palazzo

If the Joker were an officer in a steampunk army bent on conquering the world with magic, he'd be this guy. At the start of the game we're introduced to a generic comic-relief henchman of the straight-up dignified evil of the Emperor. As the unspoilered player, I'm expecting him to be regularly defeated, spark of some witty banter, and be pushed aside for the main villain (probably the Emperor or some super-evil Esper creature, I'm guessing). Then Kefka murders a kingdom. That's not a typo. He singlehandedly defies the noble commander of the imperial army to personally poison the water supply of a kingdom, killing everyone inside, women, children, and even his own soldiers taken prisoner. In a SNES game you'd expect the murder of women and children to just be a text box describing an offscreen event. But no, here's the 16-bit corpse of a child and his mother, found by their father and husband.

O-kay, so much for comic relief henchman...

But that's the crazy part. Even after proving himself a complete monster, Kefka keeps being funny thanks to his insane dialogue and manic sprite.

You know the rest. He murders the emperor, seizes the source of all magic for himself, becomes a god, reshapes the world in his image, and rules unopposed for a full year. That wimp Sephiroth never accomplished half as much.

Many cite the World of Ruin as the weakest point of FFVI, and for my part it's because until the very end you don't get any Kefka goodness.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 19 Favorite Villain/Antagonist:

It took me a while to think of one since I keep reading comics but I chose...

Castlevania-dracula.jpg

...Dracula from the Castlevania series.

Without Dracula here we wouldn't have Castlevania at all now would we? Now Dracula is the most well known vampire and he started the whole vampire thing going. So Konami decided to jump the vampire bandwagon (long before those Twilight idiots) and gave us Castlevania.

So what does Dracula do in these games? Summons his big ass castle and send swarms of the undead to torment everyone living and all that other stuff vampires do on their days off. This guy can be a dick and can be pretty hard to fight since Castlevania is pretty hard by itself. And he always comes back to haunt you specially if your a Belmont. But he does know how to write his speeches.

But its cool to see Dracula be a bad guy again since we only saw him in his novel and movie. Everyone else that isn't named Count Orlork is trying to be cool like Dracula. :P

Runner Ups:

Zeus - God of War: I love mythology and Greek mythology has a warm place in my heart but God of War's story doesn't. While Zeus may had been a big dick in the series, antagonizing Kratos and all, but I honestly thought he was the hero since Kratos isn't very likeable after being a dick to everything. But that's just me.

Bowser - Super Mario: I love Bowser but the only reason he isn't up there where Dracula is at is because Bowser can be fun but I really can't hate Bowser as an antagonist.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day #19 - Kami's Absolutely Irredeemable "could destroy the world before Ninjashark even has his breakfast" Favourite Video Game Villain

Like many people have before me have posted, my pick for favourite villain is the great Dr. Ivo Eggman Robotnik of the Sonic the Hedgehog Series. Stand up and take a bow Eggman~

388px-sega-superstars-tennis.png

standing with your arms folded works too...

Probably the most stand-out example of what separates Eggman from his peers of the video game villain's world is that unlike many of them, Eggman himself always feels like a direct threat to the hero, instead of sitting back and waiting for the hero to arrive to him. Eggman himself (a rather ordinary man, who is likely far more frail and physically capable than the robots he builds) always makes a point to show up at the end of a level and personally defend his haul of animals.

Eggman's own henchmen also show how sinister the man can be, since unlike any ordinary mad scientist who could just build their robots with a standard burning power source, Eggman has to go one further and build his with the expressed need to harness tiny little animals in order to run. However just because the technology behind the robots is cruel, doesn't mean the outer shell has to be, right? And that's exactly Eggman's thinking, as his Badniks are all uniquely designed, colour, and armed to the teeth, ready to take Sonic and any of his friends out.

However, behind all the cruelties that the man has inflicted, both with his Badniks and with his own actions in his schemes, the man manages to come across as rather amusing when speaking with people. His banter with Sonic before they engage in a fight always helps to highlight the true ridiculousness of the Egg shaped Man in his flying mobile, meanwhile the more recent conversations with his own lackies (and even his past self) shows both how callous and uncaring the man can truly be, while also comically showing how short-tempered and childish he acts.

The Eggman certainly has a great deal of personality, which is probably why he has managed to withstand the test of time.

Honourable Mentions

King Dedede - Ok, so the penguin maybe-king isn't that much of an antagonist (having only really been the true antagonist in a few games), but when he is the antagonist, he certainly...differs... from most standard ones. Dedede's difference shows through his end goals as a villain. Whereas most villains wish either to subjugate the world or obtain unstoppable power, Dedede's plots are generally more...self-centered... simply wishing to steal all of a counties food for himself, or steal the stars out of the sky simply cause he apparently doesn't like them. I just find it humorous to have a villain who's goals generally revolve more around be a selfish prick (not to mention the character himself is pretty comical, and has his badass moments).

Bowser - It'd be a crime to not at least name drop this guy. The Video Game Villain, himself. Bowser has launched many plots, each failing in the same way the last did ( a good jumping plumber stomping all over them), and like any turtle, Bowser holds record speed on catching on to this formula.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, again I think Bowser and Dr Eggman go without saying...

sonicfreeriderseggmanar.pngbowserhoops.jpg

I'll give you a moment to bask in there awesomeness while I think of someone else to pick.

You ready? Okay! Here he is, the "King of Evil" himself, the one and only:

ganondorfblackhorse4.jpg

Gan-huh? ...oh wait...heh, a mix up from imageshack, let me try again...

ganondorfsupersmashbros.png

*ahem* The Legend of Zelda: Ganondorf

I often prefer a comical villian to a truly badass one. So Ganondorf is one of the exceptions. One thing you gotta love about this guy is that awesome ywt menacing theme. Y'know the one right? The one that plays as your climbing his castle, and when you reach him, it turns out he was actually playing the song himself.

Just hearing it again makes me think, "Oh ****, I'm in trouble!"

Something else about Ganondorf I like is the battles themself, the TP one was cool because it felt like a true one on one sword fight. Although with the intence music and the constant thunder as he walks slowly and menacingly toward me. My instinct told me to "****ing run"! I had that same instinct on OoT when he changed into his primal form, only problem was the surrounding fire. Continously charging into fire is not a good idea in any situation.

I remember the first part of the TP battle, he was just charging around me, in circles. I stood very still thinking "What do I do? What do I do?" Then there was the WW battle, I felt I needed to hurry because of the water, so I often blindly dived at him, only to be ripped to sheds by his twin blades.

Yep, good times...

• Thumbs Up 1

SHODAN

10760-SHODAN_hires_large.jpg

System Shock 1 and 2 may fade away in existance in the near future, but SHODAN is forever. She was the original GLaDOS. God complex? Check. Female machination? Check. Narcissistic? Holy hell yes. Wants to kill you? Damn fucking right. Where they diverge is that where GLaDOS is petty and just doesn't like Chell, SHODAN doesn't not only hate humans, she sees them as ants compared to her and thus she is the superior, hell, Godly and has to right to conquer, enslave, and/or do whatever she wishes. Where GLaDOS is the mean school yard bully, SHODAN is the mean spirited momma bitch who will encourage her kids not because it is good for the children, because she molded them and it makes herself look good...to herself. Where GLaDOS is the mean school girl that picks on you because she subtlety likes you, SHODAN is the girl your mom doesn't want you to date.

But the defining point of SHODAN is her voice. Goddamn her voice. She is a borderline dominatrix.

Is that right, you filthy bitch? I am all up in your motherfucking corridors. Panting, sweating, and tearing that ass up. Keep talking dirty to me, you dirty slut.

Yes! I'm humbling that ass, ho. Now, spread that biscuit. Give me your gravy.

tumblr_lhyrj4WnnV1qay81po1_500.gif

*clears throat* Anyways, SHODAN is my favorite villain.

• Thumbs Up 1

Since I've missed almost a week's worth due to a holiday, I'll just post a few of them in brief:

Day 16 - Saddest Videogame Moment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O41bpujWvz4

...I never thought deleting a piece of virtual data could be so heart-wrenching. ;_;

Day 18 - Favourite Protagonist

I would say Sonic, but I'll go with my second-favourite instead to be different.

SOv2u.jpg

(Yes, this is my tattoo)

Earthworm Jim is just such an excellent character. His design is like nothing else, his personality is hilarious and he's got an array of skills and gadgets at his disposal thanks to his super suit. Of course a lot of EWJ's appeal comes from the world and other characters in his world, but he's just such a damn good character! And he shouts "Groovy!" a lot, what's not to love about that?

Day 19 - Favourite Antagonist

Doviculus...oh my dear sweet Jesus that voice. Any villain voiced by Tim Curry automatically wins over anything. And just LOOK at this guy!

Edited by Swiss
  • Thumbs Up 3

Day 19: Favorite video game antagonist

Wow, it took long enough for me to bring up Ace Attorney in this topic.

sxdwz8.jpg

Manfred von Karma is the ultimate dickhead in the AA series. Nobody out-jackasses him.

Murdering the attorney who put a dent in your perfect prosecutor's record, despite still winning the case? And then taking his orphaned son under his wing so that he can train him to be a prosecutor, for the sole purpose of framing him for murder as well as eventually leading him to believe that he was responsible for his own father's death? What a dick! Not only does he do some of the most despicable deeds that are by no means easy to accomplish on his end, but taking him down in the final moments of case 1-4 was the most satisfying final boss beatdown in a video game.

There are plenty of villains in the AA series that go to similar lengths, but von Karma stands out because everything about him is intimidating. He has a perfect 40-year winning streak. He's infamous the world over for doing anything in his power to get a guilty verdict. It was like taking down Satan himself. The majority of other Ace Attorney antagonists are hidden in the shadows, using deception and secrecy to mask their true nature. Not von Karma. He is Satan incarnate, he knows it, and everyone knows it. But finding out that he was responsible for Gregory's death and Edgeworth's framing is still a shock, and that is why von Karma is such a marvelous foe.

• Thumbs Up 6

Day 19: Favorite video game antagonist

Wow, it took long enough for me to bring up Ace Attorney in this topic.

sxdwz8.jpg

Manfred von Karma is the ultimate dickhead in the AA series. Nobody out-jackasses him.

Murdering the attorney who put a dent in your perfect prosecutor's record, despite still winning the case? And then taking his orphaned son under his wing so that he can train him to be a prosecutor, for the sole purpose of framing him for murder as well as eventually leading him to believe that he was responsible for his own father's death? What a dick! Not only does he do some of the most despicable deeds that are by no means easy to accomplish on his end, but taking him down in the final moments of case 1-4 was the most satisfying final boss beatdown in a video game.

There are plenty of villains in the AA series that go to similar lengths, but von Karma stands out because everything about him is intimidating. He has a perfect 40-year winning streak. He's infamous the world over for doing anything in his power to get a guilty verdict. It was like taking down Satan himself. The majority of other Ace Attorney antagonists are hidden in the shadows, using deception and secrecy to mask their true nature. Not von Karma. He is Satan incarnate, he knows it, and everyone knows it. But finding out that he was responsible for Gregory's death and Edgeworth's framing is still a shock, and that is why von Karma is such a marvelous foe.

To add to this, his daughter is the cause of some hilarious moments in later games.

"Is she allowed to have a whip at this trial?"

Wait, was it father or grandfather? It's been a while since I've played the games.

Edited by Solkia :U

I have a very plausible theory that Manfred, in the process of conceiving Franziska, in fact raped a random woman, stalked her to the ends of the earth for nine months, and then framed her for a murder she didn't commit (which he planned during her pregnancy), thus taking custody of her child and training her to become a prosecutor.

I certainly find that explanation much more believable than him having an actual wife.

• Thumbs Up 6

Nothing can best the Childhood Trio.

Doctor Eggman, Ganondorf, Bowser

Eggmans-bot.jpg

-You're not getting away!

modea17_080410c-l.jpg

-FIRE EVERYTHING!

Alright, there's no doubt that most of us here have encountered whichever one or all of these three in our younger days, and we still do today. I can't single out any of these guys on this list.

Bowser and Eggman... two full-grown man(/koopa)children that have the necessary amount of brawn, brain, (respectively, anyway) and resources to mount constant assaults upon the world. They are as dangerous, as silly and as charming as they come. Brilliant characters who, despite their single-mindedness in their plans of global conquest, are well rounded, goofy guys who can always crack us up in whatever scenario they are involved in, Bowser in particular in Mario spinoffs and RPGs, Eggman with his eccentric mannerisms and bloated ego. The duo here are also Evil with Standards, as Bowser does seem to care for his troops (as shown through his inside story) as does Eggman who would never outright kill anyone: you see all those Flickies and animals who were still alive and kicking in perfect condition even inside badnik armour? You're welcome.

As for Ganondorf, he was the first utmost serious baddie I've ever come across in my youth, at first through Wind Waker. The continuously Sealed Evil in a Can with a plan with monsters always at the ready. He's also the villain who, out of the three I've mentioned thus far, I feel the most sorry for, especially through the Adult Timeline split where he went from manipulative supervillain to fallen antihero. He's incredibly powerful and is very knowledgeable, and he's as skilled in dark magic as he is with various weaponry throughout many reincarnations. The final battles with him are always over-the-top in some manner that are always memorable.

And when you get boss themes like this, this, or this, you know these guys are bound for epicness unparalleled.

And now I would like to turn to a new villain who joined this list recently.

He wasn't my favourite. But this was one baddie whose loss I've outright relished because I hate him so freaking much.

IN YOUR FACE: Manfred von Karma - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

Manfred_von_Karma_OA.png

Oh how I LOATHE this son of a bitch.

All throughout the 4th case in Ace Attorney, this guy is an absolute asshole. He continuously cuts you off during your cross-examinations, he imposes his judgements onto the judge who submits to this, he steals your key evidence and electrocutes you with a stun gun on the eve of the last day in court, and tries to frame Edgeworth whose father he killed for tarnishing his otherwise perfect record...

Destroying and exposing this guy for who he is is a fucking satisfying feeling. It's just as Sean said.

Edited by VizardJeffhog
  • Thumbs Up 3

I have a very plausible theory that Manfred, in the process of conceiving Franziska, in fact raped a random woman, stalked her to the ends of the earth for nine months, and then framed her for a murder she didn't commit (which he planned during her pregnancy), thus taking custody of her child and training her to become a prosecutor.

You know, just your typical Tuesday afternoon for Manfred.

Edited by Celestia
  • Thumbs Up 5

Eggman's amazing, but it'll be done to death. I'm gonna go, like with an above post, with Castlevania's Dracula.

It's like a tradition. You know you'll almost always fight Dracula at the end of the game, and in almost every game his first attack pattern will be teleporting while firing stuff at you, with a new twist sometimes, and then either he goes apeshit or he transforms into a big demon. It's strictly formula, but he's always tricky and often a good fight to look forward to.

His personality and look is variable but epic. He's often an overly theatrical large ham, especially in Symphony Of The Night. In other games, he's basically a final boss and that's it. My favourite portrayal is Order of Ecclesia, where he's a classy gentleman (sort of) who flirts with the sexy female hero, and "invites her to dance". He looks so sinister and badass in this version, but at the same time, so cultured.

Oh and he controls the power of enemies, which, when he is reincarnated as a good guy, you can play as, and absorb enemy abilities, which is pretty cool, even if the plot is convoluted and the actual part where Dracula is beaten once and for all in 1999 hasn't been fucking made into a game yet as it probably couldn't possibly live up to the hype.

• Thumbs Up 1

You know, I thought about putting Manfred. I really did. And I would have done it regardless of how he has already been listed twice. But in the grand scheme of things? He's not the biggest bad of the series.

Morgan Fey

Phoenix Wright - Ace Attorney

Morgan_Fey_OA.jpg

This lady... god damn. She's got an inferiority complex the size of the Moon, and she is (perhaps with the exception of her daughter) the most unrepentant sociopath in the entire series. In rough order, she:

• Married a rich guy and had twin daughters with him, so she would have his money and he would have the prestige of being married to the head of the spirit channeling school. Except, whoops! Her sister Misty was better. So he left her.
  • Spent the entirety of the series backstory being pissed that her sister ruined her gold-digger attempt. Then the shit that Manfred pulled as outlined above happened, and her sister was publicly discgraced. So Morgan was all "Cool beans. The school is mine now."
  • Had a third daughter, Pearl, who was basically the Micheal Jordan of spirit channeling. So as soon as Misty's second daughter Maya came of age to potentially take over running the school (since it was her birthright rather than Morgan's), Morgan tried to frame her for murder so Pearl would get it instead years later. This failed, bing bam boom Morgan's in jail.
  • Dahlia Hawthorne, one of Morgan's twin daughters, meets Morgan in prison while on death row for all the murders and attempted murders she did in the backstory for the third game. Morgan immediately tries to have her killed because Dahlia was a disgrace and because at this point Morgan is a complete loon.
  • Instead, they hatch a plot (which you know was mostly Morgan's, because it actually almost worked) to have: Pearl channel Dahlia after she is executed in order to kill Maya and frame Dahlia's twin sister Iris for the crime.

In case you didn't quite get what that means, Morgan's ultimate plan was to have her youngest daughter (Pearl) channel Morgan's deceased sociopath daughter (Dahlia) in order to kill her niece (Maya, who was also Pearl's best friend) and frame the whole thing on her other daughter (Iris), all to spite her sister (Misty) and other neice (Mia, who at this point wasn't even alive) and install Pearl as the head of the channeling school. All without poor Pearl knowing what was going on. And not only that, but Misty discovered the plan and was killed trying to stop it.

That is how COMPLETELY GOD-DAMNED INSANE this woman was when she was bringing dead family members back from the dead to kill living family members mostly to spite other family members.

Edited by Celestia
  • Thumbs Up 4

Day Numbero Neunten - Ninja's World Dominatingly Grand "would enslave and throw Kami into the Metool Pits before he even realises it", Favourite Video game Villain(s) Ever!

2med85e.png

this would Probably make for one Hell of a Badass Wallpaper

There is one type of Villain I Love in any Medium, the Comical-yet-threatening Villain.

it's one thing for a True Antagonist to be Evil (and well....thats rather Easy, really), but it's another thing to be Evil but also managing to be Entertaining.

and this is why Dr. Eggman and Bowser are two of my Favourite Villains, they Both have shown to be a Threat to their respective Heroes (SA2, Colors and Generations for Sonic, Paper Mario 1, Galaxy 1/2 and Super Mario 64 for Mario) but also Managed to entertain me and make me Laugh with their various Antics in each Game.

Glados.png

I Hope you Like Neuro toxin

Now, in Portal 1 GLaDOS I found enjoyable and entertaining in a "Black Comedy" way, but in Portal 2 I LOVED Her.

Her Passive-aggresive little insults against the Main Character Chell had me in stiches, it was Wondeful and so Brilliantly Written in my Opinion. Whether it being GLaDOS throwing all sorts of Childish Insults at Chell for supposedly being Fat and Adopted or Just her overall Deadpan reaction to her getting Turned into a Potato, I Loved her.

MirorB.jpg

Feel the FUNKY RYTHM!

out of all Possible Villains from the Pokemon Franchise, Miror. B by Far takes the cake. Not because he is especially menacing or Threatening, but because he is so Fun to watch and....Just Look at that 'fro!.

He went quickly from a High ranking Member of Pokemon Collosseums residental Evil Syndicate to the Boss of His very own evil Syndicate (members Being Him and 2 Other guys). But in anycase, he retained his Humorous ways by Being the Worlds Only Disco Dancing Pokemon Trainer.

and aside of that, he has by far one of my favourite Song in the entire Franchise:

Honorable Mentions:

Kefka, Final Fantasy 6 - like I said earlier, Kefka is pretty much Batman's Joker with Magic Powers, and in the way he acts it's obvious why one would think that way. He'll make you Laugh before making you scared in terror of him Destroying the World because he feels like it.

• Thumbs Up 4

2668dc1f824da28e799c75e.jpg

GlaDOS from Portal and Portal 2

Yeah, nothing too special to say. Just the absoloute master of wit, sarcasm and deprication.

No other villian has ever made me laugh so much while making me feel so worthless.

Dr. Eggman is a very very close second. Love him to bits too, but unfortunately he isn't as sharply written as GlaDOS. We need more of them PA announcements and Sonic Generations quality Eggman comedy. Weren't the PA announcements heavily ad-libbed? If so they need to let Mike Pollock do his thang like that every game before they do the cut-scene animations.

EDIT: Accidentally used same image as someone else, must change or shall be eternally annoyed.

Edited by JezMM

Day 19 - Favorite Antagonist

portal-2-logo.jpg

Contains Spoiler to Portal 2

In other words, if you're one of the six people who hasn't played this game yet, go fucking play it and then come back.

250px-Wheatley.png

Wheatley

Would this count? I think it should, he does go all evil on your ass out of nowhere, after all.

Wheatley was an incredibly awesome character, whether it was when he was helping you or even when he was against you. His clueless and lost dialogue along with his hilarious personality just made him to be one of the most loveable characters in probably all of gaming history.

Wheatley is by your side and guiding you for the first half of the game, making hilarious remarks at pretty much everything that happens, popping up out of nowhere to say something funny just when everything seemed to have a lot of tension to it, I mean come on, this guy was the perfect comic relief.

Then he finally gets into the position of being able to take control of Aperture and he lets all the power get to him, turning GLaDOS, your own previous enemy into nothing but a potato and yelling at you, the one who was working with him to get to where he was now and knocking you down into the depths of what was an old aperture. Even when you work your way back up to see what Wheatley has done with the place, you see yourself amongst boxes morphed with turrets, easy test rooms, and ruins everywhere. Wheatley was just as dumb as he was when you left him, and just as hilarious. This guy was the best.

Also, Wheatley being evil leads up to one of the most amazing, dramatic, incredible plot twists I have ever experienced in a game. When I saw this part happen, I honestly just couldn't believe it. The atmosphere, the voice acting, the fucking music when he's beating you down the elevator. Brilliant.

Seriously, I have to congratulate Valve for being able to just have so much personality practically oozing out of both pf these characters..especially considering the fact that they're robots.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, this one was pretty easy. Despite the fact that most of my entries have been Nintendo related so far, my favorite villain would have to be...

Dr. Eggman

250px-Eggman_pose_29.jpg

Admittedly, in the days of old Dr. Eggman didn't have much to differentiate it from the other villains of the various platform games out there. Nowadays, however, Dr. Eggman really shines thanks to the writing in the recent Sonic games, and the sensational voice acting of Mike Pollock. Dr. Eggman is a RIOT, even though he's downright evil you can't help but love him due to his grandiose personality. That maniacal laugh of his is infectious. He isn't just a lovable madman, though. He also has some very impressive boss creations. Death Egg Robot, Death Egg Robot mk II (?), The Egg Viper, Nega Wisp armor, Metal Sonic...the list goes on.

Edited by Crow T. Robot
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mine is a tie between these two gentlemen:

Dr-Eggman--Sonic-Colors-.png

Dr. Eggman (Sonic the Hedgehog series)

The good doctor is one of the most personality-filled video game villains ever. He's evil, but he's also very jolly. He can be serious, but he also retains his child-like demeanor. He's brilliant, but he also has quite an ego, and very justified, given his numerous impressive mechanical servants that have come close multiple times to offing Sonic, like his numerous mechs, his battalion of Badniks and Egg Pawns, and of course, his most powerful creation, Metal Sonic. Eggy is a great villain because even though he's the bad guy, you can't help but love him. He's just so likeable and so much fun to watch. He's easily the most consistently enjoyable Sonic character and shines in every appearance he makes. That is the power of the Eggman.

260px-BowsersInsideStory.png

Bowser (Super Mario series)

Bowser is another very fun villain and is easily one of the most persistent antagonists in any series. He has kidnapped the same Princess time after time again, but he doesn't let his numerous failures get him down. He just gets right on his next plan like nothing happened. I especially love his portrayal in the Mario RPGs where the writers make good use of those multiple defeats for great parody material and his personality really shines. He has a great design, has multiple memorable boss battles under his belt, has an entire army of great minions under his control, and is just an all around classic video game antagonist. He truly is the king of awesome.

Edited by chaoscontrol14

Day 19 - Favorite Villain / Antagonist from a Video Game

The Joker

Since he pretty much acts the same way in the games/comics, I will talk a bit more at the comics side.

Gotta love this unpredictabile guy. One minute he's a hilarious, harmless prankster, the next a criminal brutal savage.

He's probably one of the most demented, sick villains in fiction history ( he as forced a bank owner to masturbate to his own young daughter's picture in Azzarello's Joker and even tossed babies out a nursery window in No Man's Land).

The best part of him is probably the ironic feel that despite looking as a clown, a being that is often interpreted as silly, harmless and childish, he's perhaps the worst mass murderer in the comics story.

• Thumbs Up 3

DAY 19 - FAVORITE ANTAGONIST - BOWSER

BowserGalaxy--article_image.jpg

As if you couldn't tell from my avatar, Bowser is my favorite antagonist.

First of all, he is big/strong/scary. It isn't like the enemy is just another human who wants to be evil. This guy is just one bad ass villian. I love how he never gives up his dream of taking over Princess Peach's castle. Even when Mario stops him, he tries the same plan over and over again. Bowser even learns from his mistakes and enhances his plan. Failed the first time? How about morphing myself to a huge figure to capture the princess and making Mario go through galaxies to collect stars?

3380831415_04500cc827.jpg

Another nice touch is that Bowser is great at sports. He even managed to sport in the olympic games. What else has he been in? Soccer, Baseball, and I think Tennis (Does Golf count?). It takes skill for a big guy like Bowser to be athletic.

We also can't forget he also appears in daily party events and Kart Racing games.

Mario-Luigi-RPG-3-Bowsers-Inside-Story-%C2%A322.99-@-Gameplay-DS-Games-photo.jpg

I love how Nintendo portrays Bowser in their RPG games. He has a lot of excellent writing, humor, and personality. I really think they built his character quite well in games like Bowser's Inside Story. It was a nice change to actually play as Bowser and not as Mario. It reminds me when I got to play as Eggman in SA2.

Overall, Bowser is an awesome character.

Edited by Autosaver
  • Thumbs Up 1

Day 19: Favorite Antagonist

251466-glados_super.jpg

GLaDOS from the Portal games.

GLaDOS has to be one of the most well-written villains ever, especially in Portal 2. Her dialogue, actions and general cynicism exemplify the dark humor style of the series and make for a lot of really hilarious lines and moments. However, what also makes her so great is the robotic monotone in her voice. The contrast between the emotionless voice and the obviously resentful dialogue just make her that much more funny.

Edited by The T-Man
  • Thumbs Up 3

Day 19 - Favorite Antagonist

Yuri_red_alert.jpg

Yuri - Command and Conquer: Red Alert 2

This man is a textbook definition of a mastermind. During the course of the game, Yuri is introduced as the Soviet Leader, Premier Romanov's key advisor and as a participant in Stalin's secret project to create an army of psychic soldiers. His psychic abilities allowed the USSR to be able to invade the USA in the first place. Something doesn't seem quite right about him, though. His dry, almost whispering voice, and extremely serious attitude are a strict contrast to the rest of the fun-loving ruskies.

Spoilers Ahoy:

He shows his true colors in the Soviet campaign. He mind controls Romanov, assassinates him, and becomes Premier himself. He puts the blame on an unpopular general, who you get to kill. He also manages to control the minds of a large portion of the American population, later sending out some of his clones, yes, he has clones, to mind control the President himself.

He gets even more diabolical in the non-canon expansion. He splits off from the Soviets, forms his own faction, and immediately controls the minds of about the entire world through psychic beacons. If the fact that he's trying to rule the world isn't evil-sounding enough, how about this: he has a Moon Base. And an ancestral castle in Transylvania. The Allies and the Soviets have to team up just to beat this guy.

• Thumbs Up 1

150070-168043-dr-robotnik_large.gif

What can I say? The man is just entertaining, hes one of the few characters Sega seems to get right on a consistent basis. I love his overexaggerated gestures, his maniacal laughter, and his impressive arsenal of robots and areas he builds from scratch.

You can tell that he very much enjoys being evil, I love a villian who can have fun with what he does, and Eggman fits the bill wonderfully.

\]Nefarious_frozen.png

I only played Ratchet 3, but jut from that game this guy was comedy GOLD. The way he plays of his butler Lawrence and how he freezes up everytime he goes completely bonkers is utterly hilarious. Not much to say really, I just love this guy.

Edited by Grooseinator032
  • Thumbs Up 1

Todays answer will piss people off.

Mephiles_the_DarkST.PNG

Mephiles the dark.

Okay, he may be a recolour. At least he had a slight excuse. Then why like him? First his theme. It gave me chills the first time I heard it. This guy was meant to be creepy. He had slits for eyes for pete's sake. His voice is Dan Green gone bad, that's something you have to watch out for. Up until then Sonic plots had been world domination or planet destruction. Mephiles? Destruction of all time. This guy is psycho. Yet not so. He was actually a sneaky plotter, using others. I always liked a sneaky slimy baddie (hence why I like Finitevus in the comics) so Mephiles takes it.

• Thumbs Up 4