Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games

Sami

Day 15: Best Moment in a Video Game

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice for All - Case 2-4

The ending, the fucking ending was pretty much THE giant Crowning Moment of Awesome for everyone. I haven't played through it in a while, so I'll describe it the best I can.

Well guys the gig is up, your client is a fucking asswipe with no redeeming qualities at all and was playing you a sucker the entire time, not even fucking spirit magic was able to figure him out. He's actually the man behind the man, hiring an assassin (a damn good one by the name of Shelly de Killer) to kill his rival, unfortunately he becomes the main suspect for the murder anyways, but his assassin friend kidnapped one of your best friends a loooong while back and threatens to kill her if "good" ol Matt doesn't get off the hook.

So here you are, in a losing battle, and you have little to no choice but to get the backstabbing son of a bitch off the hook to save your friend, the only way to actually win is to get Matt to want the Guilty verdict, or somehow break the assassin's contract with him... well there's no way to do that now after Gumshoe's Crowning Moment of Awesome abruptly ended.

BAM

Franziska von Karma, the insufferable bitch you had to deal with in the last couple of cases, to the rescue, with the evidence Gumshoe tried to get to you (it's the thought that counts Gummy, you're still awesome). You get several pieces of evidence and only one of these is the evidence you need. As it turns out, the backstabbing son of bitch wasn't being a backstabbing son of a bitch to just you, he was also being a back stabbing son of a bitch to the assassin he hired. He recorded de Killer assassinating his target and was going to use the tape to blackmail him. Once de Killer realized this the deal was off, and Matt Engarde officially became his next target.

So you just went beyond the impossible and turned the lose lose situation for yourself into a lose lose situation for your asshole of a client. If he gets off the hook, de Killer gets him. If he gets the Guilty verdict, well as far as I'm aware he gets the death sentence. His reaction is screaming at the top of his lungs that he's guilty while carving his face out with his nails in shit spewing fear of what de Killer was going to do to him.

So. Fucking. Amazing.

Edited by Nix
  • Thumbs Up 5

I OBJECT TO THAT STATEMENT!

The Osu Tatakae Ouendan 2 climax shamelessly copied the climax of Elite Beat Agents. Notice that both feature the main trio imprisoned and subsequently freed by the combined cast chanting their name.

Both were pretty damn awesome, though, but Ouendan 2 acknowledged EBA's superior climax with their failure to produce something better. Still, the regular levels and beat maps of Oendan 2 were a definite improvement over EBA, so points for that.

they fight aliens, and are encased in stone...

OSU stop a supernova and are imprisoned by ice shards, they then team up with their rival gang and with collective chants and praise, create a praise cannon that obliterates an ice meteorite the size of the Sun.

yeah elite beat agents is superior sarcasm/

they where both made by the same company anyway :P

Day 15: Best Moment in a Video Game

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice for All - Case 2-4

The ending, the fucking ending was pretty much THE giant Crowning Moment of Awesome for everyone. I haven't played through it in a while, so I'll describe it the best I can.

Well guys the gig is up, your client is a fucking asswipe with no redeeming qualities at all and was playing you a sucker the entire time, not even fucking spirit magic was able to figure him out. He's actually the man behind the man, hiring an assassin (a damn good one by the name of Shelly de Killer) to kill his rival, unfortunately he becomes the main suspect for the murder anyways, but his assassin friend kidnapped one of your best friends a loooong while back and threatens to kill her if "good" ol Matt doesn't get off the hook.

So here you are, in a losing battle, and you have little to no choice but to get the backstabbing son of a bitch off the hook to save your friend, the only way to actually win is to get Matt to want the Guilty verdict, or somehow break the assassin's contract with him... well there's no way to do that now after Gumshoe's Crowning Moment of Awesome abruptly ended.

BAM

Franziska von Karma, the insufferable bitch you had to deal with in the last couple of cases, to the rescue, with the evidence Gumshoe tried to get to you (it's the thought that counts Gummy, you're still awesome). You get several pieces of evidence and only one of these is the evidence you need. As it turns out, the backstabbing son of bitch wasn't being a backstabbing son of a bitch to just you, he was also being a back stabbing son of a bitch to the assassin he hired. He recorded de Killer assassinating his target and was going to use the tape to blackmail him. Once de Killer realized this the deal was off, and Matt Engarde officially became his next target.

So you just went beyond the impossible and turned the lose lose situation for yourself into a lose lose situation for your asshole of a client. If he gets off the hook, de Killer gets him. If he gets the Guilty verdict, well as far as I'm aware he gets the death sentence. His reaction is him screaming at the top of his lungs that he's guilty while carving his face out with his nails in shit spewing fear of what de Killer was going to do to him.

So. Fucking. Amazing.

I've replayed Justice for All thrice. Each time I finished 2-4, my final choice was to let Engarde go free, because fuck that guy.

To this day I neither know nor care what the dialog is when you give him the Guilty option instead, because the sight of him outright shitting his pants when he realizes what you are trying to do was worth choosing Not Guilty every time.

Edited by Celestia
  • Thumbs Up 1

My favourite moments? Well, that's kind of difficult. I mean...there are MANY, MANY awesome moments in gaming. But if I have to choose...

Vs. Giant Baby Bowser (Yoshi's Island).

K1KOo.jpg

If you have played Yoshi's Island, you know what I'm talking about. You have grown accustomed to fighting giant monsters and defeating them by throwing eggs. Now you have just defeated Baby Bowser. Kamek comes in, after being squashed by prince reptilian. You are probably thinking: "Ok, he is going to use his mumbo-jumbo to make Bowser grow. I'm ready". But guess what? YOU ARE NOT. Bowser has become so big, he literally destroyed his castle. Now you are in what remains of that castle. Bowser is nowhere to be seen. ALL OF SUDDEN, Yoshi turns his face away. A roar, and you are fighting a Screen-Filling Bowser using GIANT EGGS. The sense of impending doom. The thrill. AND YOU SUCCED!

ESCAPE FROM THE MILITARY PURSUIT! (Sonic Adventure 2)

htWRT.jpg

A friend of mine rented me a game called Sonic Adventure 2. "Oh yes. I remember this Sonic guy. I used to play Sonic & Knuckles when I was a little kid" I said to myself. "I liked that wacky cartoon about him that I used to watch." I said. "This is going to be fun". I said. I turn on the console. I press start. The cutscene plays. "Kind of cool". Then the level starts, and with it the amazing " Escape from the city". My brain explodes while I rediscover my love for the Sonic franchise. I buy the game from my friend. The rest, as they say, is history.

DEFEATING THAT F#CKING DEVIL FROM FANTASIA. (Kingdom Hearts)

EnjWy.jpg

When I was a little kid, I never watched Fantasia until the end. I always stopped during "Night on Bald Mountain". That Devil (Chernabog) always scared me shitless. BUT NOT THIS TIME. NOT THIS TIME. This time I am the one scaring him. This time, I am the one fighting, the one winning. And the best part? DONALD AND GOOFY are backing me up. I can't lose. I defeat him. I save the game. I turn off the PS2, and I watch Fantasia in its entirety, knowing that the one that deprived me of sleep during my childhood can't scare me anymore. GOD.

Edited by Phantom Nald
  • Thumbs Up 2

Day 15 - Favorite Moment in a Video Game

creed1.jpg

A moment that occurred in Assassin's Creed: Revelations

WARNING: MASSIVE SPOILERS AHEAD FOR ANYONE WHO HAS NOT FINISHED THIS GAME. IF YOU CARE ABOUT THE STORY AT ALL FOR THIS GAME AND HAVE NOT FINISHED IT YET, DO NOT OPEN THIS SPOILER TAG. I'M SERIOUS. IF YOU DON'T GIVE A SHIT, THEN GO AHEAD AND OPEN IT.

assassin__s_creed_revelations___altair__s_death_by_keeftheboss-d4jv9yd.jpg

The Death of Altair

I must solute Ubisoft in the fact that I honestly don't think they could have done this any better than they did. Seriously, if you played the previous Assassin's Creed games before coming onto this one, and you saw this scene, you would be an enormous rock of stone if you said that you weren't the least bit moved. They go through everything here, and I mean EVERYTHING.

The scene starts off with Altair saying goodbye to his son, wishing him a safe life with his family. The son understands what it is that his father must do and realizes that what he has insisted is a library this whole time will in fact be his tomb. This leads to a heart felt goodbye between a father and his own son, knowing that this will be the last time they will ever be able to see or speak to one another. They hold each other in their arms and the scene progresses.

Altair continues down into the tomb and, let me just add that, you are PLAYING as him doing this. That's right, you are the one leading Altair to his own death. You slowly walk down, limping from weak bones that got to you from aging throughout time. Using a torch, you light your way down until you finally come across the library. You see empty shelves among empty shelves nd a chair in the middle of it all. But you don't go for the chair just yet, no, you slowly limp yourself to the back of the room.

Altair puts in the piece of Eden, the one he has been using his whole life, the one that has given him this unlimited knowledge and the one that he has learned throughout his life. He knows it's going to be used one day in the future and uses this tomb as a place to keep it safe from the Templars. After sealing it away, Altair turns back to the chair and limbs back to it, where he makes his final sit. Altair relaxes on the chair and the camera fades to present time where Ezio is looking at the remains of what used to be an incredible Assassin and mentor.

Because of all of this, Ezio is given what he needs in order to find another piece of Eden, leading the Assassins to be one step closer to save mankind from being dominated and controlled by the Templars. Tempted, he begins to reach for it, but realizes that he too has had enough, leaving it in the hands for another Assassin. Ezio gives up his life as an Assassin to go and settle down with the family and live a good life, one that he deserves.

Seriously, when I saw all of this happen, I was just speechless. All I could do was sit there and watch it happen. I was in this state where I couldn't even feel the controller in my hands. I wasn't playing a game anymore, I was..experiencing this beautiful and emotional moment. It's like I was watching it happen. Everything in this part was absolutely perfect and couldn't have possibly been done better. Linking the two Assassins together like that, seeing Altair's remains still in the tomb the way he was sitting, Ezio saying that he has had enough..it was all absolutely wonderful and..as much as I loved all of this, it only left me craving more. It was an incredible end to what was Altair..he did what he had to do, and that makes him a hero.

Well done, Ubisoft. Well done.

• Thumbs Up 3

My favorite moment in a story is Shadow's realization of what Maria really wanted him to do at the Last Story of SA2. (Events in Last Story leading upto the Biolizard fight). I thought Shadow was just awesome in SA2 and this scene, basically him changing his previous beliefs to help save the world was just amazing (minus the acting):

(5:13)

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 15: Favorite video game moment

1okkyd.jpg

This is hard to choose, but a certain moment in Ape Escape stands out to me. You spend the whole game hunting down this annoying bitch named Specter, who manages to elude your grasp twice before - after braving through a ginormous marathon level - you face off against him in what seems to be the final battle. But after you win, the bastard escapes and his whereabouts are unknown. That is, until you catch all the monkeys and fight him one last time at the Peak Point Matrix. The battle itself is mainly a dramatic one than anything else - it's not hard, but you spend the whole time beating the fucking shit out of him that it manages to be very satisfying regardless of the lack of difficulty.

But the moment I'm talking about is when you finally knock him out and you finally capture him in your monkey net. The game does a very satisfying repeat cut (

) that puts an end to this drawn-out, game-long war you've waged with Specter. Specter is an enemy who is constantly two steps ahead of you, and there is a lot of buildup to each and every encounter. And every time you think you're about to get him, you don't. But the final final battle makes a spectacle about your showdown with him and there really isn't any other way I could have imagined the devs ending it. I even liked how it went straight to the credits rather than put you through a pre-credits epilogue first. That one moment is adequate indication that you're done.

I suppose the whole final battle counts as my favorite moment in a game: the cutscene that plays before the fight, the fight itself, and this repeat cut. It's all pretty cheesy, but it's also really awesome.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 15 - Favorite Moment in a Video Game

Sonic Adventure 2 (Battle) is a terrible game, with a plot that started one of the worst trends the series has ever seen, a ton of padding that brutally murders whatever chances I had of having fun for over five minutes in a row, and a massive legion of fanboys that won't shut up about how much they need Sonic Adventure 3. But Sonic Adventure 2 has one thing many other games don't: Gargantuan amounts of nostalgia, and that's what lands this moment on this list.

The final battle between our hero and his dark doppelganger was built up from the very beginning of the game, and seeing everything peak at this moment in the story was great. At this point, you've boarded the Space Colony Ark, with the intention of destroying the Eclipse Cannon; a weapon capable of destroying the entire planet in a single shot. To do this, Tails has given Sonic a fake Chaos Emerald that will destroy the cannon when equipped into it. Cue Final Rush, a level where you're *rushing* (hur hur) to the cannon to destroy it before Eggman is able to fire it. The stakes are high and the atmosphere is tense when you finally get to the end of the level. ... When you get stopped by Shadow. The two begin to banter (dialogue that I've had memorized since I was a kid, I won't lie), the awesome music starts playing, and you begin the final battle.

While this moment is probably backed by nostalgia for the most part, it still sticks out in my head as one of the most awesome moments in a video game.

Edited by Dissident
  • Thumbs Up 3

any mention of Ape Escape is insta credit from me, a fantastic series that should be thriving on the PS3 and not as a shitty Playstation Move gimmick :l

Day #14 - Your Favourite Story in a Video Game

Harvester.gif

Last one is a bit of a guilty pleasure...

Harvester promised "something to offend everyone" and considering it was banned in several countries (and censored in others), it done a pretty good job of it. But I think it's marvelous. Twisted and kind of unsettling at times, but absolutely hilarious just for how absurd it gets. The fact that it's part of the FMV glut of the 90s just makes it all the better.

You're put in the shoes of Steve Manson, who seems like your average joe... only he's woken up in the twisted town of Harvester and can't remember a single thing.

The peculiar townsfolk range from the eccentric to the batcrap crazy (to name a few, there's a woman whose house is a giant wasp nest, a crazy old madman who's one step away from releasing the town's nuclear bombs, your overly-peppy mother who seems to do nothing but bake cookies all day, every day, and a paperboy who'll get... rather unpleasant, should you fail to do as he says... that's just in the first few minutes), and the only other sane soul in the place is Stephanie Pottsdam, the girl next door who you're apparently set to marry in a couple of weeks. Except her parents (a mom who seems like she was made from the same cookie-cutter mold as your own, and a dad who's a little too fixated on his meat) won't let her leave the room until she's hitched and keep a close eye on her through a hidden peephole in the bathroom, and she's just as clueless about everything as you are... mostly due to the fact she's suffering from her own curious case of amnesia.

But what she can tell you is that there's something strange going on in the mysterious Lodge, which you're going to be hearing about a lot. Because it seems like just about everyone wants you to join it and you don't get a lot of choice in the matter.

Except if you want to actually get into the Lodge, you're gonna have to perform a few tasks to prove your worthiness... which seem to start out harmless enough, but it's only a matter of days before it leads to the unexpected deaths of several townsfolk. And then Stephanie disappears, with only a skull and spinal cord left in her place... which turns out to be the last thing you need to get into the Lodge. Hooray? And if things weren't wacky enough before, this is the point where it really starts to get weird. Especially after you've battled your way up to the top floor and find out what the town of Harvest actually is in its not-so-happy ending:

The whole game has been an elaborate virtual reality experience, and the real Steve is hooked up to a machine that's constantly feeding him images. Why? Because there's some scientists who are working to create their own brand of serial killers, and the object of the "experiment" is to desensitise the subjects to the point where other people's feelings and lives mean nothing. And after all the lying, cheating, stealing and murder Steve's been put through to reach this point, he's now been deemed ready to join an elite group of murders in the real world... oh, but wait there's more. Because it's then revealed that Stephanie is still alive (and very much a real person... she's currently hooked up to the same machine as Steve back in the real world) and she's presented to you for game's final test:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6Mzaimi0bY, or let her live... and be executed immediately by being disconnecting from the life support system. If you choose this option, Steve will feel as if he had died normally after being http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNhjOJvAu4s. If you decide to kill the poor girl, you must repeatedly strike her with the Harvest Blade and finish the task by ripping the skull and spinal cord right out of her body.

Neither outcome is particularly pleasant.

lol OMG that game looks so corny and so gross... I wants it! That ending cut scene is so bad and tacky it makes the cut scenes from Mortal Kombat Mythologies look like shakespeare!

XD I'm so going to look up getting that one, it just looks so bad it's good

Edited by Hogfather

FAVORITE VIDEO GAME MOMENT (SPOILERS BITCH)

John-Marston-ending_320.jpg

JOHN MARSTON'S DEATH IN "RED DEAD REDEMPTION"

Red Dead Redemption. Why aren't there more Western games? Especially like this?

I remember getting "Red Dead Revolver" back when it came out. I never though much of it until I heard a sequel was being made in the style of Grand Theft Auto. Little did I know I was in for an experience above and beyond anything Grand Theft Auto has ever supplied to me.

Red Dead Redemption is often noted for it's deep and enthralling story. John Marston is a former gang member who has moved on and started a family. One day his loved ones are taken from him by a lawman named Reyes. John must hunt down the former members of his gang or he will never see his family again.

Here's where the major spoilers start. When John is back at his house with his wife, son, and good friend Uncle, Reyes and his men come to kill John, even though he has done what he asked. You fight them off before leading your family into the barn, and send them away through the back.

Here's where the magic happens.

John is left alone in the barn. He peaks through a crack in the door, and we see a group of lawmen prepared to shoot the tar out of you. John closes the door. He takes a deep breath and a moment of reflection before opening the door. The lawmen ready their guns, and we go into DeadEye, the game's iconic gun-targetting system, and take out as many of them as possible, before being shot to the ground.

We watch as John Marston, bloodied and losing color, struggles for breath before finally collapsing to the ground, dead.

RUNNER-UP

DUTCH'S DEATH, ALSO FROM RED DEAD REDEMPTION

Dutch, the former gang leader, is confronted by Marston at his little hideout in Tall Trees. When you've chased him to the cliffside, he tells you that killing him won't solve anything. That they'll only find another monster. It's pretty moving, and I really felt something when he proceeded to fall off the cliff by his own accord.

DAY 15 - Favorite Video Game Moment

The Legend of Zelda - Skyward Sword - Run Zelda! Run!

I thought this cutscene was absolutely fantastic! It just opens up to so much epicness. You know that dungeon you just spent 2 hours in? Ha! Ghirahim just blasted through the sealed opening in seconds. Not only that, he charges at the speed of sound toward Impa. Fortunately, Impa was ready to get he guard up. Quick Link! Save them! If it was that easy, he would do it. Unfortunately, the evil villain put up a fire shield so Link can't trespass.

Zelda knowing Link will need the harp for his adventure, quickly blasts it away to Link. That moments was just so fascinating. The "YOU GOT A HARP! But you can't look at it now...." screen was pretty funny too. Oh snap! Impa's shield just broke! Thankfully, the fire wall has died so Link does his epic sword slam.... he missed.

tumblr_lxwins40Ef1qlp9z0o1_500.gif

There was also this part. Diving in the forest and out of nowhere some big dude comes crashing down on you. Nice ride, isn't it? The expressions were quite hilarious.

Another awesome moment would be meeting Ghirahim for the first time.

He just screams that kind of creep you want to get away from. Getting too close for comfort, sticking out his tongue and waggling next to your face? The game just draws you in and builds Ghirahim's creepy character.

Edited by Autosaver
  • Thumbs Up 2

Favorite moment in a video game for me would be:

SPOILERZ

Damn this game was awesome. and...this ending...is just...amazing. The music. The dialogue. The intensity of it all. I was literally glued to my TV during this ending. and then...the aftermath...it almost brought me to (manly) tears. This is definitely my favorite ending in a video game that I've played.

• Thumbs Up 3

Favorite Moment: Super Mario 64's Ending

I wish I could come up with a more original answer, but Mario 64's ending is legendary. After defeating Bowser for the last time and watching him dissolve into the final star, time stood still for a moment. And grabbing it, Mario did what he does best. Jump. And then he jumped again. And jumped once more, flying off into the twilit sky with a triumphant fanfare following him like a fucking boss. He then falls from the sky and lands safely in front of the castle, watching Peach materialize in front of him, bringing the game full circle. She thanks him, kisses him on the nose and walks inside to bake him the cake she promised at the beginning of the game. This is when the music turns from calm, allowing the idea that it's over to set in, to celebratory to congratulate you for completing the game. Mario starts to follow her inside, but takes one last aside glance toward the player. This is definitely my favorite part of the ending because it reminds you that even though he got the rewards, he acknowledges that you deserve credit for your efforts. As Peach calls him, the camera pans off and the credits roll, bringing up scenes and levels from throughout the game, reconstructing your experience and reminding you of the all the moments you went through to bring you to this one. It ends with the cast waving goodbye, and Mario thanks you for playing the game while showing the cake he was given, sharing it with you the best the game can. This is the first video game I've ever played in my life, the first of many, and it still holds up as having the most conclusive, satisfying ending. No cliffhangers, no loose ends, none of that crap. What's more, it's a shining example of how cutscenes can be used beneficially in game design. This game remembers that a game is incomplete without the player, and this ending isn't just a conclusion, it's a return favor. It serves to thank you, and allow the experience as a whole to resurface and remind you of what you went through to beat the game, making the ending have a stronger impact. It's an amazing sequence of events, and something I will remember my whole life.

Runners up: Watching the boss meter gradually fill up before a battle (Any Kirby or Megaman game), Samus escaping Dark Aether as it blows up and walking through the applause of the Luminoth and waving goodbye as she walks on to her next mission (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes), how terrified I was after opening a cabinet to be greeted by a giant, screaming deformed face (Siren Blood Curse), Storming the Citadel (Half-Life 2), Still Alive (Portal)

Edited by SuperStingray
  • Thumbs Up 5

One of my favourite moments would be the final part of the story in Pokémon Black and White where the player confronts N and Ghetisis in N's castle. This is one of my favourite moments in a video game for several reasons. One of the main reasons that made it stick with me was that I forgot to save when I first got to this part, since I got too caught up in the moment of going to the final battle and forgot the most basic stuff. Because of this, I had to be at the top of my game, or else I'd be thrown back a good bit, and beating it on the first go with my team of Pokémon, which later in the fight I found out was under leveled, and beating them knowing I went in at a disadvantage and still came out on top on my first go felt really good. As previously mentioned, for once, there were bosses in a Pokémon game that were actually somewhat difficult, which threw me off guard, and made me enjoy their battles a lot more. It also made the fights much more intense back when I nuzlocked it, which made beating them even more satisfying than the first time I beat them when I forgot to save before fighting them. Next off, it felt nice to see a villain who actually felt like a threat for once, and one who had a somewhat clever plan for once was a really nice twist, and once again I didn't see it coming. N's sudden character development at the end after finding out he'd been used the whole time, and then realising all that he had done was wrong was some really nice, if somewhat predictable once you found out he has just a puppet of Ghetsis' in his plan, development, and it's something I hope to see make it's way into future Pokémon games.

Another moment that has stuck with me because of forgetting to save the first time was first encountering Oki in Okami. Yeah yeah, I'm on about this game again but forget it, I still like this scene nonetheless. I'd just got out of beating a devil gate trial, an area where you have to fight beefed up versions of previous enemies and minibosses which takes forever to do because of how much damage they take, and after the relief of finally beating it, I went on to progress with the story, once again forgetting the basics of gaming and remembering to save after anything important I just did. Not long after, the story forces you into a small building with a fire. After a short bit of dialouge, someone rises up from a fire, and then you have this staring you down.

okia.png

Oh god, take my money, take my weapons, take everything, just don't hurt me. D=

Needless to say, what I at first thought was some half man half dog thing (Which isn't too wrong, but was wrong with how I percieved it at first :V) with glowing red eyes pulling out a sword and then slowly walking around the fire to, what seemed like this at the time, come around and try to cut you up to wolf chops was pretty intimidating the first time I played it, especially realising if I did mess up here, I'd have to go through a really hard section all over again. What's even worse is the first time around he's not too easy of a boss either....well the second phase of his second phase isn't anyway, which put the pressure onto me even more, since if I didn't figure out how to efficiently beat him and fast, I'd have to go through a whole load of hard fights all over again. So because of me messing up, this moment has stuck with me....going by my previous choice, this seems to be a recurring trend, I should mess up remembering to save more often!

There's actually one more moment in this game I prefer to this (That doesn't involve me messing up with saving =P), but I should probably save it since it'll probably be more relevant later.

• Thumbs Up 4

Favorite Moment

reshiram-ow.png

Definitely the appearance of Reshiram/Zekrom in pokemon black and white. Now granted, most of the legendaries from past games have had their awesome entrances, but holy shit, the entrances of these two just blew my mind.

Ho oh and Lugia might have has their bad ass entrance 3d cutscenes in HG/SS but this just did it a lot better in my opinion.

Edited by Dark Energon Johnny
  • Thumbs Up 2

200px-RoyApproaching.png

The challenger approaching screen from the smash bros games, mostly melee and 64 made me so hype every time I saw this screen. Every time I would face a new challenger I would always sit there for a second and analyze the picture to see who it was and what my strategy would be to fight them. Back then you didn't who was going to be in the game so everything was a surprise once you unlock them. Just the adrenaline I got before I got the chance to fight these mysterious characters was my favorite moment in games for me.

• Thumbs Up 4

Day 15 ughhhhhh

I spent all day thinking, and I couldn't come up with my favorite moment in a videogame, so I'm just gonna cop out and say a more memorable one.

Day 15 The Black Eyes of Death

SonicDeathEgg-600x450.jpg

Imagine this. You're a scientist, in the cold dark residues of a base. Scheming, laughing as you hear all the animals in the background, crying and struggling within thier little robot bodies, forced to obey your every command. But what's this? A distress signal? From Emerald Hill Zone? You get into your mobile ship, and rush to see what's happening. Once there your worst fears have been realized, as you see the blue devil from months ago, with a furry little two tailed monster, running towards you, setting your robot minions free. You order a drill, and attemp to ram into him, but alas for he is too quick, destroying your machine and looking at you with the same blood thirsty eyes that stood before you a few months ago.

Scared, You fly away. down but no defeated, you rush the operations in your base, sending more troops out, and hurrying your machines to defeat the devil. But too fast too slow, you are beated by him everytime, each time his attacks getting more vicious and menacing. You return to your base soon after one time, only to hear the Red Alarm once more. You freeze in place, as your head turns to the monitor to catch the blue hedgehog ripping apart one of your minions, staring at you through the monitor, mouthing the words "I'm coming." You use your resources to build a machine out of mine balloons, but he is too intellegent to fall for your trap. Desperate and out of your mind, you run to your Wing Ship, and try to manuever it away. But as we can see, he has already caught up, zooming though your Ship duking it out with the last remains of your army, before he finally catches up to you.

Frightened out of your mind, you jump into your rocket ship and zoom towards your space station, the last sancturary you have. But what's this? The devil has someone gotten into space, running after you. Luckily, you have been working on a prototype of him, and watch safely behind glass as your Metal brains seem to be winning. *BOOM* You turn your head towards the explosion, to see the black eyed demon staring at you, taking one step closer, looking with those Black eyes that pierce your souls. A tear? You're crying. You get up and run. Run as the demon walks closer and closer to you, before stopping before you. You say one last prayer before you jump into your final weapon. The unfinished protoype Egg. Being given an ego boost, you stand up tall inside your weapon, infuriated that such a great tool of science is being wasted on this little blue worm. You boast your back as the demon makes no move. This is it. the final battle between good and evil, with one thought bursting through your mind before you begin.

May god have mercy on my soul....

• Thumbs Up 3

Day 15: Favorite Moment From a Video Game

The ending to Final Fantasy VIII. (Needless to say, spoilers if you intend to watch it.)

Good Lawd, this has to be one of the most satisfying endings ever conceived. As I recounted in the FF Appreciation Thread, when I was 13 I gave up on the final boss and watched this on Youtube. At that very moment, I regretted that decision and that regret has lingered with me for nearly three years, and only because this ending is so great. Maybe I'll play through it again sometime...

Honestly, I can't say exactly what it is that makes this ending so great. The imagery is fantastic, of course, the scene with Laguna is pretty touching, it's coming off of a pretty dang thrilling climax, and, well, say what you will about Eyes on Me, but it fits really well here. Other than that, though...I don't know, it just feels really satisfying. It's a great conclusion to a great game, and my personal favorite video game moment.

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly took me a while to pick a FAVORITE, but after much consideration:

DAY 15 - Favorite Video Game Moment

The finale of Pokemon Black and White

Specifically, from the moment N's castle appears to the credits. Everything about this is why B/W has the BEST story in a Pokemon game to date. And it all starts at N's castle- no, before you even GET there. When N first unleashes Reshiram (btw I'm gonna go off the events of Pokemon White for reasons I'll explain later) he challenges Alder in a Championship battle so he can claim the title of Pokemon Champion and use that title to force all the people of the world to release their Pokemon. Alder accepts and flies off to the League to await his challenge. So realizing that I needed to reach the champion myself through the E4 was an honest surprise. But the REAL awesomeness starts when you reach N and Alder.

N's castle appears out of the earth, it being put there long ago, waiting for this very moment, and when it rises out of the ashes, dwarfing Alder's palace it STABS the building the a multitude of stairways. And just like that, N enters his fortress to take his throne, leaving you to pursue him with some rather heroic music playing int he background. So you give chase, but the moment you step foot in the castle you are ambushed by the 7 Sages who attempt to gang up on you in a seemingly hopeless fight.

All the Gym Leaders (well almost all of them) pull off a Big Damn Heroes moment and come to the rescue to hold off the Sages while you pursue N. And the place is HUGE and the attitude of everyone there is rather unsettling. They don't fight you, in fact, they believe they've already won. It is here that you see the true nature of N and the Sages. They treat N like a king, their savior, their Chosen One. Those 3 shadow guys guide you through and show you rooms of interest, the most interesting and almost disturbing of which.... is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLcOFCpcJ-w.

The Shadow guys who shows you it tells you that it was N's "world" that Ghetsis provided him, and that he can't feel anything inside.

The room just speaks for itself. What we see is the very core of N's soul; a child trapped in a adult(? teenager? how old is he again?) body. Pure. N wasn't evil, he wasn't even good, he was pure, and his motives and actions were as pure as a human's could.

And then you finally face N in his throne room.

N summons Reshiram and releases a flury of fire that trashes the room. The sheer power in his entrance is really intimidating, and at this point your hoping for a miracle to stand a chance against this kind of power. And then. The Dark Stone trembles inside your bag.

"The Dark Aura draws in the aura of the surroundings and converts it into a powerful force which is..... now..... BEING RELEASED!

Zekrom is finally released in a blinding flash of lightning to match Reshirams flames.

This scene right here is 1000x more meaningful in Pokemon White due to the way it fits the theme so much more. Reshirams white and flowing body reflect N's belief that HE is the hero of the story destined to bring peace between people and Pokemon. When in reality, it is in fact the dark knight Zekrom who stands by the true hero. It's a GREAT use of the Light is Not Good and Dark is Not Evil and works GREATLY with the idea of N being the Knight Templar who believes himself to be the Chosen One.

And the scene where Zekrom appears is Awesome. Not cool-awesome, but awe-inspiring Awesome.

And of course you have to fight Zekrom to prove your worth and capture him to gain the power needed to fight N.

And the resulting battle between Good and Evil. Dark vs Light. Zekrom and Reshiram are near equal in strength, each one's powers clashing with each others. This fight right here, battling against the main legendary in a trainer battle is insanely intense, and the all out war that breaks once Reshiram is defeated as the rest of your team gets out there to help out..... it's NUTS!

And it DOESN'T EVEN END THERE! After an intense battle and finally defeating N once and for all, Ghetsis appears in anger, who reveals HIS true motives of how he manipulated N into a pure person and using Team Plasma as a publicity stunt to seperate Pokemon from people so he alone would be able to conquer the world unhindered. The way he TEARS through N emotionally, shoving him aside like a failed gear in his plan, the person N called father revealing his true colors after all these years, the monster he truly was and the way N was used for all these years, lead to believe that his beliefs were just and fair, cut off from the rest of the world and never given a chance to truly mature, left in a pure state and lead to believe that the world was corrupt and that Pokemon were mere slaves to humans. His entire life was a lie. And so begins the end, the showdown with Ghetsis, the true mastermind behind it all. The music, the power, Ghetsis was the villain to end all Pokemon villains. And once you defeat him, freeing N of the chains he was under, showing N the error of his ways and why he himself was so confused about you and your Pokemon's bond. N finally saw the world for what it truly was. And with a newly freed mind, he leaves his castle with Reshiram and goes off to live, to make his own path and to take his special bond with Pokemon to make a better life for himself.

Edited by Black Spy
  • Thumbs Up 7

Day 15 and my favorite moment in a video game.

I am going to quote krazystitch's moment from AC Revelations so don't flame me for it since it also is one of my favorite moments.

assassin__s_creed_revelations___altair__s_death_by_keeftheboss-d4jv9yd.jpg

The Death of Altair

I must solute Ubisoft in the fact that I honestly don't think they could have done this any better than they did. Seriously, if you played the previous Assassin's Creed games before coming onto this one, and you saw this scene, you would be an enormous rock of stone if you said that you weren't the least bit moved. They go through everything here, and I mean EVERYTHING.

The scene starts off with Altair saying goodbye to his son, wishing him a safe life with his family. The son understands what it is that his father must do and realizes that what he has insisted is a library this whole time will in fact be his tomb. This leads to a heart felt goodbye between a father and his own son, knowing that this will be the last time they will ever be able to see or speak to one another. They hold each other in their arms and the scene progresses.

Altair continues down into the tomb and, let me just add that, you are PLAYING as him doing this. That's right, you are the one leading Altair to his own death. You slowly walk down, limping from weak bones that got to you from aging throughout time. Using a torch, you light your way down until you finally come across the library. You see empty shelves among empty shelves nd a chair in the middle of it all. But you don't go for the chair just yet, no, you slowly limp yourself to the back of the room.

Altair puts in the piece of Eden, the one he has been using his whole life, the one that has given him this unlimited knowledge and the one that he has learned throughout his life. He knows it's going to be used one day in the future and uses this tomb as a place to keep it safe from the Templars. After sealing it away, Altair turns back to the chair and limbs back to it, where he makes his final sit. Altair relaxes on the chair and the camera fades to present time where Ezio is looking at the remains of what used to be an incredible Assassin and mentor.

Because of all of this, Ezio is given what he needs in order to find another piece of Eden, leading the Assassins to be one step closer to save mankind from being dominated and controlled by the Templars. Tempted, he begins to reach for it, but realizes that he too has had enough, leaving it in the hands for another Assassin. Ezio gives up his life as an Assassin to go and settle down with the family and live a good life, one that he deserves.

Seriously, when I saw all of this happen, I was just speechless. All I could do was sit there and watch it happen. I was in this state where I couldn't even feel the controller in my hands. I wasn't playing a game anymore, I was..experiencing this beautiful and emotional moment. It's like I was watching it happen. Everything in this part was absolutely perfect and couldn't have possibly been done better. Linking the two Assassins together like that, seeing Altair's remains still in the tomb the way he was sitting, Ezio saying that he has had enough..it was all absolutely wonderful and..as much as I loved all of this, it only left me craving more. It was an incredible end to what was Altair..he did what he had to do, and that makes him a hero.

Well done, Ubisoft. Well done.

krazystitch summed up that emotional moment of Assassin's Creed Revelations nicely that just anything additional would be too much.

Day 15 - Favorite moment (Spoilers for the best game of 2011 and one of the best of all time. It involves science.)

Portal 2's ending - The final boss itself was pretty much an upgraded version of the previous game's, but it culminates in the COOLEST WAY TO FINISH OFF A BAD GUY EVER. After that, you get a hammy speech from friendly GLaDOS, a "get the hell out" speech from regular GLaDOS, an opera performance by the turrets, a reunion with your best friend, a lovely goodbye song from GLaDOS, and an epilogue in spaaaaace with Wheatley. You know, I love this ending so much that I hate it. It wraps everything up cleanly to pretty much ensure there won't be a sequel, and for that I hate it. But it was just so awe-inspiring, so perfectly done, and so memorable that it will probably stay in my heart forever. It just makes me sad that very few developers now how to scientifically engineer pure awesomeness in story form like Valve. This is the one game that dethroned Super Metroid in the ending department. Speaking of...

Runners Up:

Super Metroid's climax - Emotional, intense, scary, and awesome. And all done with only 16 bits! For a while this was my favorite moment, but after letting ^that game sink in for about a year, it just barely slips into a close second. But I'm sick of rambling about how amazing this game is. Just go play it. Right now. RIGHT THIS SECOND YOUNG LADY.

Sonic Unleashed's opening - This is how a Sonic movie should look. I mean damn. This opening was absolutely beautiful! It showed us what the fans love: Sonic kicking robot ass head-to-head with Robotnik. And all in some of the most glorious 3D-animated visuals I've ever seen. Unfortunately it introduced us to the Werehog, but I digress. This cutscene was amazing from start to finish. While I enjoyed Colors's story, and Generations was pretty lazy in the story department, I'd love to see the next big Sonic game have an epic feel like this.

Sonic Adventure's Ice Cap avalanche - "WHOAH!" That about sums it up! This scene was just so cool in every way. Ice Cap was generally a calm stage, with some very laid back (and at times creepy) tunes and atmoshpere. It definitely felt isolated and quiet. Then you go outside the caves. What awaits is a gigantic avalanche coming towards Sonic, as he jumps on to a conveniently placed snowboard (I won't even question it) and starts slip-slidin' away to some kickass rock music. And that saxophone, man! You then jump off ramps, avoid icicles, and see some baloons and jets fly by, all the while cruising on your board until you reach the Chaos Emerald. I could have picked any moment in SA1 really, but this one just about sums up what Sonic is to me: cool.

The really fast jet stream nozzle from Super Mario Sunshine - This wasn't really off the top of my head, but I remembered how much simple fun I got from this. FLUDD gets a super-speed jet nozzle that lets you run real fast. And you can run on water. Doing that in a Mario game with an explorable hub world (the best hub world in the series IMO) was just really exciting for me as a kid. Some day I'll go back and play through it again, and I'm sure it will be just as cool.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ending (Portal 2) *spoilers*

This is just one of the most impressive and frankly perfect endings ever. The lighting is especially impeccable and its really a big part of what I think ties this together into such a strong scene. And after the both heartfelt and rather cold goodbye from GLaDOS, god what a twist. It feels as if freedom is in reach... and the door opens and I thought that was it. She'd kill me in the end. The way it felt when they began their song... amazing. Ascending into the enormous theater, I thought again I'd be gunned down by the horde of turrets. And instead I was treated to a beautiful song... but far in the distance the Animal King readies its guns and yet again I thought I'd be killed. Even hearing the banging after stepping into the wheat field, I thought something was on its way to put me to death.

It's a constant barrage of fabulous surprises that made my smile grow wider each time, just the kind of cruel yet lovely trick that fits Portal so very well. It's cinematically impressive and the music is gorgeous, and it comes together into something truly fantastic.

Induction into the Hall of Fame (Pokémon)

I've already discussed how magical it feels to reach the Pokémon League of a given region for the first time and defeating it is every bit as wonderful a feeling, if not better. It feels weird to even try explaining why; if you've played a Pokémon game you already understand. To have come so far with your team, your friends, to prove your strength against the ultimate challenge and be treated to the triumphant theme of your victory, it's a great treat to reward your hard work. There's really nothing like it.

Honorable mention:

Any escape sequence (Metroid) - Man these are just badass. That's it.

Edited by The Pyro
  • Thumbs Up 1

Day 15

Favorite moment? Too many, but...

Well certainly a very memorable one is the Death Egg in the Launch Base Zone and then seeing it take of just for it to start exploding and going down once more in the background.

Well as I said there too many, so runner ups or other things that could have been a good choice.

Catching any legendary Pokemon with a Great Ball or lower.

Since by that time Ultra Balls are gone and you don't expect to catch them, especially if you are down too only Poke Balls.

The moon crashing in Majora's Mask.

Really enjoyed seeing what happens in case of failure.

I always enjoyed seeing the Day of Lavos game over as well in Chrono Trigger.

More of that enjoying the what happens in case failure and I really enjoy the words at the end.

Laharl's reaction to the the female demons in Disgaea.

Just a pretty funny moment.

Or the credits for any game.

Its a great feeling seeing you reach the end though a bit sad as well.