Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games

Sami

Day 16

L.A Noire.

Recently probably the ending to L.A. Noire.

Cole did some great things but then some bad ones and unfortunately got punished.

Even with what he did for the department he got sent down but even then he tried to recover.

Then he dies in some sewers.

Basically it feels sad that after all the cases solved, people saved and people put away all he gets in the end is death.

Alright, this one's a tie.

Sonic and the Secret Rings/Sonic and the Black Knight (Ending)

Both of these games had very moving, bittersweet endings with Sonic comforting Shahra on the loss of her once friend and convincing Merlina that nothing lasts forever. Sure, Black Knight's ending is more positive, Secret Rings' includes one of Sonic's crowning moments of awesome, and they're not exactly the "saddest" or "most depressing" endings, but I'm still choosing them based on pure emotional value alone. It's very rarely that a Sonic game can be this moving without trying too hard, but the endings to the storybook games just work. They're emotional without hitting you over the head with it, they make you feel sorrow for the characters involved, and they end bittersweetly while still having an air of positivity about them that makes you feel good by the end. (Especially Black Knight.) The gameplay of the storybook games might have a mixed reputation among fans, but their stories are some of the best you can find in the Sonic series.

Day 16 - WHATS YO SADDEST THANG IN VIDYA

Rhyme's Death - The World Ends With You

Rhyme_rescuing_beat.png

Sadly enough, no one mentioned this. The parting between Shiki and Neku wasn't really as sad as this gaming 'death'. Self-sacrifice illustrated by a bond between best friends--one smart one, one idiot--was never really placed upon in more realistic-esque games like these, and this to me, was much more poignant than the death of Aerith by the hands of Sephiroth. The effect still kind of lingers as you play the game--everyone assumes that she really is dead, but it hurts Beat so much that he chooses to become a Reaper in order to take the UG down from the inside.

Have you ever seen flowers for the dead in a video game?

I think you have just now.

B%26r_place_of_death.png

The ending to Mother 3. I never, ever, cry, but I came damn close at this. The buildup, the reveal, and the final battle, which isn't even a normal fight. You just block as hard as possible, and hope that

Claus comes to and stops fighting.

Many almost tears were almost shed at what happened afterward, with the extremely ambiguous, but hopeful ending.

You see the island you have come to know over the course of the game crumble and fall apart, every building destroyed, there is no land that wasn't ripped to shreds. You choose to take a gamble and end the world. The last thing you really "see" is a giant rock pile where the island used to be. However, somehow everyone survived, but it's left unknown what exactly happened, if they ended up in a new land, or if they really did all die. Nobody knows. It's implied they are happy with what happened, which gives a sort of hope to it.

Erasing/losing a save file (Pokémon)

Really? No one else thought of this?

Limiting the number of save files to one in Pokémon is one of the cruelest things a developer has ever done. There comes a time when you just want to play the game again, and god is it some kind of dilema. It's not a matter of simply erasing things and starting over, you're erasing your friends and your hard, hard work and it's tough to decide whether to do it or not. I spent literally weeks debating whether to destroy all of my effort in Black to play it again or not

I have this issue with White at the moment, fantastic game, but the issue I have is not having more than one save slot because I don't want to lose those hours...

Anyway, surprisingly, I'd have to say the most tragic moment was the ending of Sonic 06. Not particularly for what it is, but to me it has a very meta effect.

The whole scene with Sonic and Elise at the candle has sappy and sad music, but not only does the Duke finally get a sad sympathetic side, just trying to make things right for everyone (kind of a sad thing in general, tragic people who do dickish things for good intentions), but Elise, while being a whiney bitch as ever, is going to lose Sonic, a great friend, forever. It's like the only time that I can give a shit about Elise. Then, you've got the whole coming full circle thing with the festival, with the hints of familiarity and the BEAUTIFUL music and cinematics, with the shot of the moon at the end. It is just so cinematic, and for how bad this game is, it's just so beautiful.

I find it more sad though because of the cinematics of it. It's so cinematic and has the best CG in the entire game, and it just has so much more quality than the rest of this miserable shitpile. It's like a showing of what could have been, you know. It may have never been a great game, but it was clear that if it wasn't so rushed, it could have had a soul and it's own style. You see moments like this, or the part where Silver questions his purpose rather than being all IBLIS TWIGGA, or generally how Crisis City looks, or how ambient and moody Aquatic Base is, and you see the potential. But it was all ruined by lack of time, being rushed, and other poor choices throughout. So yeah, more in a meta way than just the plot itself.

As for plots itself, N's entire story as has been detailed before is just so fucking tragic it's horrible, especially at the ending, with that music.

The last scene in Metroid: Other M between Samus and Adam could have been this, but it's near enough ruined by how much of a dick Adam is in this game. Nonetheless, scenes like that were kind of how Other M should have been compared to the emotionless crap all BABY BABY BABY etc. The epilogue is kind of sad too, with the helmet, I guess. Again, potentially really good moments ruined by bad design choices throughout the game.

Forgot about E-102 Gamma's ending as well, so sad, even his theme is kind of sad and sombre compared to all the others.

Edited by Semi-colon e

The ending of The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening.

...yeah, yeah, I know. I just really love this game, okay?

Like I said in my post about the game's story, the nature of Koholint Island is telegraphed pretty early and it isn't exactly treated like a twist. Instead of trying to surprise you, the game instead builds up an awful sense of inevitability... the island is a dream, you're probably going to have to end it yourself, and the friendlier you get with its inhabitants the worse it's going to be when you pull the plug. Every dungeon becomes a bittersweet affair, as you're rewarded with items and magic instruments but berated by the bosses for basically trying to end the world. The 8-bit tension builds over time until Link reaches this point: not only is the game world going up in a puff of smoke, but he has to personally destroy it by playing a sad song over its final moments. The quirky cast of characters disappear into the aether, blissfully unaware that anything's even happening to them. When a game can make you feel sort of bad for the goddamn octoroks, I'd say it's done a pretty good job. Sniff.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 16 - most upsetting moment in Vidya

most have been covered by users already in great detail, so i'll just list all the games and what made me baw.

Sonic Adventure 2 - as i mentioned on the 15th day, the ending really impacts you, you may have saved the world but like its already been said "At what cost?"

Twilight Princess -

The ending to Twilight Princess... the game pairs you up with an annoying little imp called Midna who is basically using you to gather pieces of the Twilight Helmet but as you help her, and as she tags along on your quest to save Zelda she becomes attached to you and devoid of wanting to leave you, fans even speculate she even develops feelings for Link herself, so you beat Zant, the asshole who is making everyone's lives a misery and you find out yet again that Ganon is the ring leader and Zant was a mere puppet, a diversion if you will so Ganon could get his hands on Zelda and Triforce AGAIN. you beat him, and return to the Twilight Mirror, the only gateway between the normal realm and Twilight Realm with Midna being her true human/twili self again, she wishes you could stay with her forever but No one can survive the Twilight Realm, just the Twili residents and of Course Link becomes the wolf, so you get this heart wrenching moment where Midna admits the harsh reality to herself

"Link....I..."

a tear falls from her right eye, and floats into the twilight mirror, beginning to crack it.

"See you later..."

Link gasps and looks on at Midna with a sad look in his eyes as she vanishes and the mirror breaks.

Skyward Sword -

Zelda's eternal rest, this scene made me tear up so much, from Zelda's heart wrenching sorrow filled words, to Link's desperate punching on the crystal she's entombed in, to Link crying... you played the damn game to catch up with her, now you have the power to finally see her she in locked away from you until you discover the final resting place of the Triforce... so sad...

Metal Gear 4 - Return to Shadow Moses Island... the atmosphere is heavy here, the place has been untouched since you last visited in the very first game, you can actually trigger flash backs by walking by certain places in the level, like Sniper Wolf and Grey Fox its truly chilling, but what is more upsetting is you can photograph GHOSTS on the island of characters from the past as it triggers flash backs, and of course what Asagi said, the camera scene where it falls, truly a marvel of mixed emotions for long term MGS fans.

Edited by Samus Aran
  • Thumbs Up 1

Day 16 - Most Tragic / Saddest Moment from a Video Game

ssmb_gametopic_splintercell.png

Splinter Cell

I do not know what more it is called than this, but it is apparently the latest Splinter Cell game for the Xbox 360. You are able to play a story separate from the singleplayer one by doing a split-screen multiplayer with another friend. You and another assassin in counter terrorist-ish suits are stealthing and invisible in the dark, but if light is shed upon you, enemies may detect you and attack. Most of them have flashlights, so beware! You two have to infiltrate Russian bases, preferably without being noticed, and grab information by reaching key persons and to intimidate and hurt them in order to make them talk.

splinter-cell-conviction.jpg

Me and my friend played and cooperated through all of it to our best efforts in order to stand a chance, and of course, my friend always chooses the highest difficulty possible, despite never having played the game before ... So! After a long and sometimes stressy game through the story, and finally beating the finale where we find a pilot and use a cargo plane as an escape from Russia, the missions are accomplished and everything is at rest ... we thought. Player one, that be my friend, receives a phone call, asking where I am. Player one responds that he thinks I am asleep, though I was nearby, brushing my teeth or so and randomly overhearing the conversation.

Suddenly, Player one is instructed to kill Player two. I was really shocked, I could not believe it. After all we were through?! So, my friend tries to find me while I try to sneak up to him and grab him. My agility was too low, as he dealt a critical shot with his gun. He kneels down at me, and they both understand that it's merely orders and that they have to be followed, however the pilot then suddenly stands behind the victorious player and shoots him in the head, so while both players survived until the end of the gameplay, none of them actually survived to live another day. It is a very sad moment for the characters, and I felt really sad myself as it felt so cruel how I and my friend had cooperated for so much, working like a great team, and then we are to eliminate each other. I felt it was so unfair, but at the same time, it is a really good twist which is hard to imagine ever happening.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Although I prefer to keep it one game per reply, I feel like giving SSBB a quick mention. In the story cutscene where you first encounter Pikachu, my favourite playable character, my heart kind of had a tiny crack. You can hear Pikachu weakly moaning, all drained of energy, while that one assassin thingy girl approaches the generator room. She wonders what is going on, and sees Pikachu lie there all terrified, exhausted and possibly confused inside a glass capsule. Suddenly, beams start zapping the poor Pikachu and forcefully draining its power. The female infiltrator realizes that the Pikachu is being heavily tortured and reacts quickly by bringing out her whip and smashing the glass capsule.

Subspace_pikachu.PNG

I know it might sound silly, but I just always felt that was a really sad and tragic, especially since it is my favourite SSBB character and one of my favourite characters overall in any game it features.

day 17 - funniest moment in vidya

BALDY MCNOSEHAIR!

nuff said.

but seriously, what made me laugh was choosing the option "Nice Hair" when talking to Groose in Skyward Sword, that and the Headmaster shouting at Groose when they're about to start the race thing.

and of course the infamous Skydiving Groose scene

TINY BIRDS!?

AND WHAT IS THAT THING!?

WHERE THE HELL AM I!?!

Edited by Samus Aran
  • Thumbs Up 2

Pretty much any Gag Ending (except Lamda's) is hilarious in BlazBlue, but this one takes the cake:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=149k_xr3do0

Good god, there is just so much happening at once and pretty much every character is OOC, but it is glorious. Nu's Valley Girl accent mixed with being a pirate is still hilarious to me, and Ragna's reaction is just gold:

"Nu, for the love of God! Either the valley or the sea! Just PICK ONE!"

Let's not forget Ragna's GIRLISH scream when he hears "Ghost" from Rachel. And a special case in the Japanese dub:

"NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII-SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!"

• Thumbs Up 3

YESYESYES!!! Alright, funniest moment.

Okami - Meeting Rao

Oh my god, these have to be the funniest parts in the entire game. Issun cracking boob jokes, Ammy staring at her breasts and comepletely ignoring everything she says, the hilariously overdone physics. It's just too dang funny and never fails to make me laugh

(Sorry that the video is just a bunch of crackling and no real audio, this was the only vid I could find.)

Apollo Justice - Trucy's panties

Oh lawdy, Trucy was probably the only redeeming part of this game for me, the panty snatcher part of the trial just had me on the floor.

Couldn't show a video due to the 2 video limit.

Tales of Symphonia- The hotspings (Peeping Tom title)

I think it explains itself.

Edited by Solkia :U

Day #17 - Kami's Hilariously Fueled, "Ninja couldn't appericate the genius of this Comedy", Funniest Moment in a Video Game

Now today's subject is one I can talk about better biggrin.png. I have quite a good few to list, but I'd probably say my top spot would go to Mario Power Tennis, for it's Blooper Reels that play after you complete all the circuits.

watch and laugh, folks~

The Blooper reel is an extra that plays over the credits of the game, showing the lovable cast that is Bowser, Wario, Waluigi and occasionally Mario having a few mishaps around the set, while trying to film the opening scene that plays when the game starts up. I'll admit though, so there's a few bloopers in there that aren't so great, but the good ones are worth watching again many times. Who can't love such moments as Bowser managing to electrocute himself, and Waluigi rushing over with the memorable quote of "don't expect mouth-to mouth". Classic~

Honourable Mentions

Wario-Man's segment in WarioWare Touched! - The entire segment is Wario gaining his Wario-Man form from a mishap with some bad garlic, and going on a rampage with his new found powers. Only problem is his new powers include flying very slowly 2 inches off the ground, and barely lifting a small rock over his head and pumping it up and down. He then gets the bright idea to try and smash an oncoming train...and learns the hard way why not to do it.

Wario's animations in Mario Strikers Charged -

The guy enters by falling a great distance (like all characters) and landing flat on his face (unlike others :V). He celebrates his goals by producing a foam finger celebrating his own team, forcing his teammates to hoist him in the air then gets mad at them for not being able to hold him, doing a slow motion run right outta Baywatch, and trying to do a sexy body shake. He also angonizes over losses by holding a bomb, that explodes on him, and releasing his frustrations on the ball, which explodes on him in retaliation. All this accompanied with the goofy music is just brilliant.

And I'll stop here so as to not drag this on much further :V.

• Thumbs Up 6

Seventeenth: Funniest Moment

psychonauts-14.jpg

Psychonauts: The Milkman Conspiracy

Deadpan dialogue is often funny. This level takes it and runs with it, running several pedestrians over, upsetting a fruit cart, and causing a highway chain collision stretching across two states.

The concept is a suburban neighbourhood where undercover agents in incredibly obvious disguises are trying to pierce a secret organisation of girl scouts concealing a milk man. It's one of those cases where the actors take the absurdity and play it completely straight, and the result is the funniest video game moment I can remember.

• Thumbs Up 2

There are loads of potential cutscenes here, but I'm gonna pick something else for this one.

The Unleashed E rank music.

It's so frustrating getting an E rank in a game that involves so much react or you're dead stuff, but the fact that they bothered to make the music all flat and having loads of wrong notes/being not played properly was fucking hilarious. It's such a great troll moment and it represents the game's sense of humour perfectly. This is especially funny because of the fact that the normal track is this majestic orchestral epic, so hearing it all go wrong has even more effect.

I feel I have to mention Colours though. When Eggman imitates Orbot going "Ah reckon, ah weel" when his voice chip is all fucked up, as well as the sarcastic "Really?!" and the laughing so hard he gloats a muscle... this was my favourite cutscene by far in that game.

I know there are so many more, but I genuinely can't think of them atm.

Edited by Semi-colon e
  • Thumbs Up 1

The Pirate Song sequence from Curse of Monkey Island:

I really recommend you watch the entire video. The song starts at about 2:30 into the video. Basically, this song is a puzzle in itself, where you need to pick the right thing to say to get them to stop singing so you can get back to sailing. The thing is I can never find myself clicking the correct phrase without clicking all of the other ones first to see how the pirate crew makes it into a verse of the song.

It's brilliant stuff. Actually, all of Monkey Island is brilliantly funny. I think you should look for videos of it on YouTube to get an idea for how funny this series really is. Tons of 4th wall jokes and overall well-done humor.

In this video there are 2 references to past Lucas Arts games, the first one being from the first DOS Monkey Island game, and the second referencing Grim Fandango.

Also...

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 4

Day Numbero 17: The 16 strikes Back - Ninja's Laughtastic, "makes Kami's pick look like a Carlos Menzia routine", Funniest Moments in Video games Ever!

Before this Post goes on, I should Mention that there will be Spoilers for Portal 2, so if you don't wanna get Spoiler....you better skip this part now

Portal 2, The Fall

this scene plays right after Wheatley has taken over control of the Aperture science Facillity. Like the Title indicates, Chell and GLaDOS (now a Potato) take a very Long fall all the way down to the Old Aperture Buildings. The Scene is underlined with the GLaDOS Trademark Deadpan Humor, wich makes this Scene Great.

alot of GLaDOS scenes in Portal 2 could count, but I get the feeling I'll get to Gush about Her more in the coming days, so I'll leave that for a different time.

Devil May Cry 4, Agnus Pre-Boss Cutscene

this is about one of the Defining scenes of Devil May Cry to Me, it sums up the series so well, it's almost scary.

I mean, what other Franchise out there has a Hero that engases into a Shakespearian Play with one of the Bosses before Kicking his ass?

Noone, thats how Many.

Honorable Mentions:

Mario & Luigi - Super Star Saga, The Opening Cutscene: In Super Star Saga, Princess Peach's Voice gets stolen by the residental Big Bad of the games Big Bad Cackletta, and instead her Voice turns into explosive Symbols.

at one Point, this results into Peach saying a Slew of Explosive Symbol words, wich almost Blows up the Castle.

see it

Final Fantasy 6, about most Kefka Scenes: Kefka is best Described as "The Joker if he Had Magical Powers" and he Lives up to that every Minute. One Moment he makes you crap your Pants, next you Piss yourself with Laughter at his antics.

one Moment with him that stands out is the Scene with him in the Desert, with him and Two Soldiers, and how he complains about Having Sand in His shoes.

Later in the same desert he exclaims "Son of a Submariner!" wich about sums it all up (if I recall correctly, the context was the Heroes getting away or something)

see it

Any Scene with Bowser or Luigi in any Mario RPG: Luigi and Bowser are some of the Highlights in the Mario RPG's, wheter it being Luigi having his own side adventure (Paper Mario 2) or Bowser trying to track after Mario and his Friends (also Paper Mario 2) they are Always Golden

Edited by Mr. NinjaShark
  • Thumbs Up 4

Day 17 - Funniest Moment from a Video Game

Ok, I've got to say...this part made me chuckle a bit.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

Just...Toon Link's faces are so darn hilarious. The poor kid just stands there and is flung so damn far, only to then face-land onto a rising tower. Gave me quite the laugh when I first saw this. And since we're on the topic of Wind Waker, this scene also made me laugh. I just love his expressions.

Poor Link doesn't get a break. Although, it's great to know that Link manages to break his fall with his face and not damage it in any way.

Honorable Mentions

>Link and Groose falling in Skyward Sword

>The odd humor that is Earthbound

>Guy's gynophobia scenes in Tales of the Abyss

>The space shuttle cutscene between Knuckles and Sonic in Sonic Adventure 2

• Thumbs Up 1

Time for more controversy as VEDJ-F is warped as fuck.

super-princess-peach-20060201041211237.jpg

The Entire Premise of Super Princess PeachOkay, so Princess Peach got her own game, and her first playable platform appearance since Super Mario Bros 2. Time for her to kick ass and chew bubblegum...while having extreme emotions akin to PMS. Erm.Alright, so it's not as bad as that. In fact, let's look at the real plot; on Vibe Island, the mystical Vibe Scepter is discovered. With it in hand, the Army Hammer Brother plots Mario's demise, storming Peach's castle and taking the Mario Bros plus the toads prisoner. He gloats about his success to the army, making new plans for total domination as he gets his army ready for another attack...but not before a Goomba fucks up with the Sceptre and makes him cry as he calls for order.Things that are funny off the bat;1. Your enemies have as much PMS as Peach, if not more.2. The Army Hammer Brother is hilarious in how determined and steadfast to his goal he is.3. "Ah! Nice Work! About time!" ~ The reason Bowser really isn't worth calling the main villain of the game until the last boss fight.Which is also hilarious if you want to see Bowser make an ass of himself.

SonicHeroes010.jpg

Tails: But Sonic, this isn't the right way to Eggman's Fleet!

Sonic: We can't be insulted for ensuing hilarity if we go this this way, the Chaotix are already on the right path!

Team Sonic, avoiding detectives

Team Chaotix's Story [sonic Heroes]

Whether it's intentional comedy or otherwise, their story is full of moments I love for how humourous they are. From the drug reference that the censors missed, to hamming things up even more than Shadow, to giving the otherwise unflappable go-girl leaders an earful, to the ongoing plotline of ignored Charmy, there's something there for every VEDJ-F.

art2.jpg

Cortex Abuse [Crash Twinsanity]

I mentioned the moment where Dingodile completely disses the guy he'd been loyal to for years by giving him a flight lesson when he has no idea about this supposed treasure, but the Cortex abuse is rife throughout the game, with his attempt to save his niece, Nina, from an alternate universe Crash and Aku Aku and Uka Uka's willingness to sacrifice his life for their wellbeing being standout moments.

Almost any other moment with the Chaotix [barring Sonic Chronicles where Vector had one fucking line]

Because, hey, you can't go wrong with a bit of Chaotix.

Edited by VEDJ-F

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake vs. Monkey.

Just... pure silliness. Snake moaning about fighting Metal Gears and escort missions and what have you. Snake trying to pass the buck off to the Ape Escape protagonists, or Sam Fisher or Gabe Logan or anyone; then whining about how he was on vacation. The implication that the events of the Ape Escape series are canon to the Metal Gear series. It's all gold.

Then you start actually playing it with the terrible Ape-based puns for the levels and the game takes the concept dead serious despite how patently and joyfully absurd it all is and you just start laughing at the entire thing.

Then you calm yourself down, catch the first Ape and Snake screams "gotcha" and you start losing your shit again. Then you calm down and catch them all, and Snake does a silly dance and ridiculous fistpump and you start laughing again.

And I would have nominated Snake Eraser, but I wasn't sure if that counted.

Edited by Celestia
  • Thumbs Up 4

Day 17 - Funniest Moment from a Video Game

Eva Removes the Transmitter - Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

You gotta love such humorous scenes the the Metal Gear series and this has always been my favorite. I dunno, the innuendo just never fails to crack me up, but it's also after Snake loses his eye, escapes prison, dies, fights through the ghosts of everyone he has killed. It just sees funny to have such a wacky scene after so much shit has went down.

Best line: "I can't believe how small it is!" "Yeah, well it get's the job done!"

• Thumbs Up 5

Tornado beat me to it. There's nothing else I can say today that could top Snake vs. Monkey.

I'll still make another post talking about something else later, though.

Bowser's dialogue in ANY given Mario RPG

The Mario RPGs all have fantastic humor with many memorable lines and characters, but if there's one character who truly shines through all of them, it's Bowser. Bowser is already my favorite Mario character, but his lines in the RPGs are always absolute GOLD and I love what they did with his character. (Heck, he was so awesome, he practically got his OWN RPG!) One of my favorites in particular is his opening line in Bowser's Inside Story, "Did someone just page the king of awesome?" I LOVE that Bowser is that full of himself. That line is something you'd expect some obnoxious jock in a comedy movie to say, not a big angry monster turtle that regularly kidnaps Princesses. THAT's why I find it so hilarious. laugh.png

• Thumbs Up 3