Awoo.

Official Anime/Manga Thread

Random Rhyme

I've been reading about that. Apparently people are not too keen on hat idea.....doitdoitdoitdoitdoit.

yesyesyesyeyseysyesyes. inb4 moka goes full-on tsundere or at least a type b towards tsukune after the personality fusion dance. I know she was one already, but I'd imagine it would show even more so after the personalities blend together.

Edited by Tomoki

One Piece Strong World's boxart:

EAKiQyg.png

Comes out Nov 19th. I've been slipping with buying the episode releases over the years, only able to pick up a few out of order here and there due to always being short on cash, but there's no way I'm passing on this when it's out, it's one of the better movies imo, and was even written by Oda himself. Hope Funimation gets more of the movies if this sells well enough.

• Thumbs Up 1

I used to love CLAMP, until Tsubasa and xxxHOLiC came along. Magic Knight Rayearth, CCS, Chobits and Angelic Layer were good, but lately... meh.

tumblr_lxz9tsXETc1rn95k2o1_400.gif

Because they were so special to begin with. /s

Way to miss the elephant in the room and rant about the color of the walls.

You do realize that goverment stories don't interest me and I no longer like CLAMP for reasons outside of Geass, right?

Yea, that's really common. Madoka did this.

18144-comparisonpuella_magi_madoka_magic

That fence just keeps on getting

Fencier

Edited by PSI Wind

I've been on hiatus on One Piece for a while because I've found it's more enjoyable to watch it all back to back than to watch it weekly. I wouldn't agree with the "don't watch anime after Enies Lobby" but I do think pacing has gotten worse, and Luffy's gotten less interesting and more "generic innocent dumb hungry" shonen protagonist.

I'm a little worried that the storytelling has gotten worse in general, but I found the first few years' worth of content to be a bit "eh" and some of the recent few years to be a bit "eh" with plenty of amazing shit in the middle, so I haven't lost all hope that Oda can do some really amazing things in the coming years too.

For example, everyone talks about how great CP9 is, it was great, but what about Sabaody? Yes, even in the anime, I thought it was an amazing arc and it'll probably stand out as one of my favourite arcs in any anime ever. Even the Fishman Island arc wouldn't have been that bad if I wasn't watching it weekly.

To anyone still watching the anime weekly, has it gotten better or worse since Luffy and Law met up on Punk Hazard? That's where I last saw it.

Also on the not One Piece topic, Gatchaman Crowds is really fuckin brilliant, Hajime is one of the most surprising and refreshing protagonists I've seen in a long time. She actually reminds me of Luffy's early days come to think of it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I won't say Clamps designs are very good, because they weren't really to begin with, but I, personally, like the anorexic style of characters. Hell, TWEWY was like that too, and I liked it.

You do realize that goverment stories don't interest me

You missed it again.
Geass' Government story is just a backdrop for the real morals in the story. "Defeating evil with evil or evil with good, either way evil remains, so how do you completely eliminate it? Will you become the greater evil with the powers of Geass or attempt to change evil from within?", and even if you scratch that, the story still follows Lelouch as he tries to find out the truth behind the death of his mother.

The recent chapter finally puts some focus on the characters instead of bloating the cast some, Obe Piece I mean.

I won't say Clamps designs are very good, because they weren't really to begin with, but I, personally, like the anorexic style of characters. Hell, TWEWY was like that too, and I liked it.

You missed it again.

Geass' Government story is just a backdrop for the real morals in the story. "Defeating evil with evil or evil with good, either way evil remains, so how do you completely eliminate it? Will you become the greater evil with the powers of Geass or attempt to change evil from within?", and even if you scratch that, the story still follows Lelouch as he tries to find out the truth behind the death of his mother.

While looking damn fabulous.

• Thumbs Up 2

Also speaking of Luffy's personality changing over time, I think his fearless challenge to Big Mom and the fact that he so easily agreed to ally with Law are reminiscent of old Luffy. So.. I don't think Oda has forgotten what made One Piece and its characters great, I just think that he's padding things out between key character moments too much and not putting enough thought into that padding.

For example Sanji's character. I've no doubt that towards the end we'll see his "All Blue" character development reach a wonderful conclusion, but until Sanji takes a spotlight again I half expect Oda to have forgotten about his love for cooking and instead regress him to "ladies and not being able to hit ladies". I hoped that his 2-year training would help develop him away from that by taking him out of his comfort zone but it ironically made him worse. I dunno if people in Japan find him really funny or what but I'm kinda bored of his "NAMI-SWAAN ROBIN-CHWAAN" comedic relief being his only prevalent trait nowadays.

• Thumbs Up 3

Sanji was still genuinely chivalrous towards ladies even after he was exaggerated somewhat, but ever since Brook joined he kinda took over as the gentlemen pervert and Sanji was probably exaggerated to compensate.

There are hints of old Sanji tho given recent development

• Thumbs Up 2

I've never minded him being chivalrous, but I liked him being a multilayered character rather than just a funny trope. Before, his love for women was just a part of him, but now it defines his entire character. Nowadays he doesn't even cook because he loves to cook and is fascinated by cooking and never wants anyone to be hungry, he just cooks for the crew when they say they want food. Where the old Sanji would make food for his enemies when they were starving, I feel like the new Sanji would ignore a dying man to give a girl he liked a nice dessert. Because it's "funny". It's not only a shame, but it feels like his character has done a 180 to give a focus to an element that was always comedic at best.

There are hints of old Sanji tho given recent development

That's a relief though.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 4

I've never minded him being chivalrous, but I liked him being a multilayered character rather than just a funny trope. Before, his love for women was just a part of him, but now it defines his entire character. Nowadays he doesn't even cook because he loves to cook and is fascinated by cooking and never wants anyone to be hungry, he just cooks for the crew when they say they want food. Where the old Sanji would make food for his enemies when they were starving, I feel like the new Sanji would ignore a dying man to give a girl he liked a nice dessert. Because it's "funny". It's not only a shame, but it feels like his character has done a 180 to give a focus to an element that was always comedic at

Now this does tick me off because I did like that part of Sanji's character, how he wouldn't let anyone go hungry, hell before you could get the impression that he loved cooking more than girls...and now...yea.

• Thumbs Up 2

Id still say the moment things got bad for Sanji's character is when at Enies Lobby Sanji wouldn't fight Kaklia despite the fact that she held a possible key to free his friend Nico Robin and also the fact that they were on a extremely time sensitive mission of life and death....all because she was girl.

What could have been a great character moment for Sanji having to get over his chilvarious nature to save the ones he cares about ends with him getting his ass beaten up and down the room and having Nami step in to fix his dumb mistake. Still aggravates me to this day.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well he did get called out for that one by Nami so its not like it wasn't acknowledged as a problem...back then anyway.

I've noticed this too. An anime I've recently got into, called Date A Live, has been doing this with its "Extended Director's Cut" DVD/BRD releases; it's uncensored, has corrected frames, changed the music in some scenes, new SFX added, and added new scenes all-together that weren't present in the TV broadcast version. It's pretty cool, and it makes the home video release become the definitive version of the show.

Yeah, Sonic X did this to a lesser extent. IIRC, most of the changes were alterations to the music in some scenes; particularly how they replaced all insert vocal songs with different music. Examples: Sonic becoming Super Sonic for the first time in Episode 26 originally had a vocal song but it was replaced with the instrumental version of the Second Ending theme, The Shining Road. Episode 52 swapped out 2 vocal songs; the first was replaced with the full version of The Shining Road, and the second with Event: The Last Scene from SA2.

Sonic X did reanimate one or two scenes completely for the DVDs, mostly the parts that were drawn so amazingly badly in the TV version. Also the final episode of the second series (78) had quite a lot of differences between the initial airing and the final version as well.

Well he did get called out for that one by Nami so its not like it wasn't acknowledged as a problem...back then anyway.

It got called out on as a "problem" multiple times in the Fishman arc when he was literally hospitalised and apparently near death due to nosebleeding. It was so hard to take it seriously and I don't even think it was supposed to be taken seriously.

It was probably supposed to be funny but all I could think was "this guy has problems and I seriously hope this indicates that character development for this stupid trope is incoming."

I miss Sanji, man.

• Thumbs Up 1

Enies Lobby made Sanji completely unlikeable for me. He's tied with Robin as my least liked Straw Hat. Robin for being completely boring and not having any "punch" to her character like the others do.

Is anyone reading Magi? 

Newest chapter:

Judal and Hakuryuu are back!! It´s been a long time...

Since scans will come tomorrow (only translation is out) I wonder how will they look...specially Judal, I know that Ohtaka wanted to give him a new appearance...

Edited by Ristar

What's that. new Watemote chapter

Its gettin real hard to sympathize with you Tomoko.

Are you reading the

spin-off? It shows more about Tomoko and Komiyama relationship, they always kinda hated each other. 

Sonic X did reanimate one or two scenes completely for the DVDs, mostly the parts that were drawn so amazingly badly in the TV version. Also the final episode of the second series (78) had quite a lot of differences between the initial airing and the final version as well.

But Season 3 / Series 2 never aired in Japan... unless you're referring to the airing of the series in the west?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhHoCnRg1Yw

TIFF (Toronto Internation Film Festival) uploaded a trailer for Hayao Miyazaki's latest and last feature film for Studio Ghibli, The Wind Rises. Disney is set to release the film through their Touchstone Pictures banner at The Landmark Theater in Los Angeles on November in order for the film to qualify as a potential nominee for the Oscars. A wide release will occur after the one-week engagement at LA at a so far unannounced date.

• Thumbs Up 3

But Season 3 / Series 2 never aired in Japan... unless you're referring to the airing of the series in the west?

Yes, from what I remember the LQ leaks, Jetix France, 4kids (lol), and TMS versions all had something different.

Edited by goku262002