Awoo.

Official Anime/Manga Thread

Random Rhyme

Is there seriously ONE thread for such a massive topic? x_x

Attack on Cliffhangers keeps destroying me every week. Ughhh it's soo good. Mikasa OP.

Traditionally the community for anime and manga here hasn't been big enough to sustain more than a couple of threads at any given time. If a show is big enough to have it's own thread it's not against the rules, but they usually die after a week or so.

I was considering starting an Attack On Titan thread but the anime is winding down and the manga is monthly soooooo idk. 

Why is nobody talking about Attack on Titan.

Episode 21 was so god damn good. Lord help me.

Edited by Discoid
  • Thumbs Up 1

So I've been watching Free! aka the swimming anime.

I was expecting lame fujoshit, instead I got a pretty enjoyable pseudo-fujoshit.

You're technically allowed to make a thread on any anime out there within reason (so like, we probably wouldn't lock it if you made a thread on Hyper Baka Chinchin-Chan), but yeah like Remy said most threads die down depending on the obscurity. People even talk about the more popular shows like Cowboy Bebop and FMA in this thread more often than in dedicated topics.

I have wanted to make threads on Kino's Journey and Kaiba, but hardly anyone here knows what those are.

In that case I do see what you mean, I do wish they could change that up actually, like have Zoro take out the main villain and have Sanji go up against the swordsman type villain, and give Usopp the strong guy to fight so he could be more inventive with how he battles.

There was a movie that did that too, Zoro & Sanji switched their normal opponents...it wasn't much, but it was interesting at least.

So I've been watching Free! aka the swimming anime.

I was expecting lame fujoshit, instead I got a pretty enjoyable pseudo-fujoshit.

I watched the first two episodes and liked what I saw~

There was a movie that did that too, Zoro & Sanji switched their normal opponents...it wasn't much, but it was interesting at least.
Is it canon though?

Yeah, this is something I forgot to mention earlier. The fighting is one of the last reasons I read One Piece. I like it for its characters and story. I know a lot of people that just like One Piece for the fighting and hate it when there's just "blah blah blah talking blah blah blah plot." It's a pretty shallow reason to like One Piece. The fighting has become more repetitive lately, yeah, especially thanks to Gear Second and Third. Oh, and haki. Now, all of a sudden, it's like everyone and their brother uses it to some degree and it's essential if you want to succeed in the New World. I know it was foreshadowed in chapter 1 and in Skypiea, but it, too, seems like a retcon. I don't know. I just wish it wasn't so overused. I liked it better when Luffy used it in doses here and there on accident.

Back in the day, if you asked a One Piece fan if the series was going to have a timeskip or receive a power equivalent to ki/chakra/whathaveyou, they'd look at you like you were crazy.

That's one thing I liked before; Luffy wasn't some special/ chosen one/ whatever with some rare godly power. Sure, he had his Devil Fruit ability, but they're ten a penny in the One Piece universe. I liked how, by the series Standards, Luffy didn't really have any particular superpower or anything that really made him any more special than anyone else. 

Also, suddenly he can randomly harden himself? Have they ever actually explained the reasoning behind that, or is it just a case of 'It's haki'? 

I should probably mention that I effectively skipped most of Punk Hazard, actually, hence my knowledge of that point is a bit patchy. I watched the anime until I caught up (Thriller Bark), read the manga until partway into Fishman Island then got bored, picked it up again in the anime, then get bored again and dropped the anime partway into Punk Hazard. So for a while I wasn't following the anime or manga, until a few weeks back when Shonen Jump launched in the UK, I thought I may as well start reading it there again with the current chapters. Except I really don't care enough to go back and read/ watch Punk Hazard.

I probably should sometime, really. As much as I've had an on-off relationship with One Piece these last few years, I've always been following either the anime or manga at one point. The gap I have in Punk Hazard is the only one of its kind, the only point where I was following neither. Admittedly I'm losing interest to the point where I don't care much about it, but it still feel kind of weird to have a gap in the series.

Mark, I'm not sure what the process is called, but there's a process rubber can go through to become really hard.

I know that Eddy knows the name of the process.

So no one is watching Hunter x Hunter 2011 or Dangan Ronpa The Animation?

I'm liking both of them so far

I'm watching Hunter X Hunter, as I presume anyone would guess, but not Dangan Ronpa. Apparently the trifecta of good shows this season is those two and Shingeki.

HxH has been sooooo good lately. Early on I was worried they were cutting back and taking out some of the shocking or brutal elements of the series to make it a bit more palatable, that worry got wiped out midway through Yorkshin and especially wiped during the Chimera Ant arc airing currently. Killua's moment this week was awesome. 

I was considering starting an Attack On Titan thread but the anime is winding down and the manga is monthly soooooo idk. 

Go for it, you are missing one of the best anime/manga of the year. I recommend you watching the anime since the adaptation has been excellent so far.

I like the manga better but I wouldn´t recommend it as first choice since the art is horrible.

On a non-OP related subject, tonight I started watching Baccano! So far I'm confused, but captivated. I'm kinda getting some Tarantino-esque vibes from it. The intro song's pretty kick-ass though.

You´ll love it. 

Edited by Ristar

I'm glad that Ranma 1/2 is coming back into print according to ANN, ah... the silly misadventures of a man-woman and the people he meets, glad to see it back.

I'm watching Bimbougami ga, why didn't I hear about this anime last year when it came out? This show is hilarious.

I'm also re-watched the first half of Death Note, I realized the episodes have dual audio and I switched it to English....Ugh, never again, so many monotone voices.

So no one is watching Hunter x Hunter 2011 or Dangan Ronpa The Animation?

I'm liking both of them so far

I ended up dropping Dangan Ronpa: The Animation.

After playing the game you realize the episodes are rushed and it bothers me, I know you can only fit so much in 22 minutes I get that but I just can't stand noticing things they've skipped over or changed.

Edited by Celestia Ludenberg

Go for it, you are missing one of the best anime/manga of the year. I recommend you watching the anime since the adaptation has been excellent so far.

I like the manga better but I wouldn´t recommend it as first choice since the art is horrible.

Oh, I'm up to date with the AoT manga, I was talking about starting a forum topic or thread here on the boards. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I've been enjoying Dangan Ronpa well enough, but it really is suffering from being compressed into so few episodes. For being all about murder mysteries there's very little time dedicated to investigating, and there's also not much time for character development so it's harder to get invested in it. It's still nice to see things fully animated and voiced, but the game is definitely the better experience.

Dangan is ok, as far as being one of the best shows this season, lol that's a gigantic stretch.

Yeah, everyone knows the best show of the season is Love Lab.

Oh, I'm up to date with the AoT manga, I was talking about starting a forum topic or thread here on the boards. 

Oh, sorry about that...

Yeah, everyone knows the best show of the season is Love Lab.

I actually dislike Love Lab tongue.png

My anime of the season is Uchouten Kazoku. It´s very nice.

Edited by Ristar

Everyone really has different tastes, to say X show is the best of the season may not be the same for someone else. I don't really have a favorite show this season, just what I'm following is Fate/Kaleid, AoT, Railgun S, etc... 

Mark, I'm not sure what the process is called, but there's a process rubber can go through to become really hard.

I know that Eddy knows the name of the process.

It's called vulcanization, and it's the same process used to make stuff like bowling balls as hard as they are. So basically Luffy can punch enemies with fists as hard as bowling balls now if he wanted too, combined with his other abilities such as Second and Third Gear. And yes it's a form of his Haki abilities learned during his 2 year training period. Other characters have similar Haki abilities as well, (not necessarily vulcanization like Luffy, but Hardening in general,) usually visually indicated by their limbs or their whole bodies turning rather dark/shiny looking in appearance.

Edited by Inferno
  • Thumbs Up 1

I originally thought the black Haki technique was exclusive to Luffy, but it seems to be a natural trait of Armament Haki now.

• Thumbs Up 3