Awoo.

Official Anime/Manga Thread

Random Rhyme

Anybody have an anime (or more then one) that they think are truly overrated? Curious about this.

Well outside the obvious examples from Jump, Id say Gurren Lagann. I love it and even I think it's overhyped.

Can Naruto really be called overatted? It's a laughing stock in the anime community and real life to an extent.

• Thumbs Up 1

New Kill La Kill 3 minute trailer

I am super stoked on this. October can't come fast enough for me.

Also a Kyousogiga commercial too, which is a series I've been wishing to get a TV series ever since the first 25 minute short debuted. So I'm really glad to see it's getting the full tv series treatment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFQbr2l8eng

• Thumbs Up 1

Anybody have an anime (or more then one) that they think are truly overrated? Curious about this.

Any of the super-long-running, mainstream-popular shonen series, I guess. DBZ (although that's gained some amount of semi-ironic appeal thanks to Abridged), Naruto, Bleach, One Piece...I'll admit I'm not intimately familiar with most of them, but it feels like when something goes on for too long it has a tendency to either crawl up its own ass or get stuck in neutral.
  • Thumbs Up 2

Other than the shonen examples mentioned above, I'd say Evangelion, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, and Shakugan No Shana. Evangelion kinda bores me a bit because of how unlikable I find the characters; especially Shinji. If there was more action and less teen angst, I might've liked the show more. The first season of Haruhi was meh, the second was awful, and the movie was decent; nothing really special to me, but a lot of people on the net seem to love the shit out of it for some reason. Shana wasn't bad (I like this show), but man did it drag itself on and the focus on unnecessary melodrama kinda brought it down for me. Not to mention tons of manga and anime today have female characters that are pretty much Shana clones due to her popularity as a character, though that's not really Shana's fault, but rather people trying to jump on the bandwagon to cash in on Shana's success. But all of this is subjective / my opinion, so feel free to disagree.

Edited by Tomoki

I don't like using the term "overrated", because I don't think any one person can truly judge the merit of something objectively enough to discount a large majority of opinions, but I can say that the majority of Gainax's shows are completely lost on me. I love the over-the-top ridiculousness of them, I hate the humor and gratuitous sex appeal. 

Panty and Stocking was pretty much the only exception, and even that had some cringe-worthy moments. I enjoyed it as a whole though.

Edit - Oh, Evangelion 2.22 was great as well. Hated 1.11 (which leads me to believe I would loathe the show as well), and haven't seen 3.33 yet.

Edited by Discoid
  • Thumbs Up 5

I don't like using the term "overrated", because I don't think any one person can truly judge the merit of something objectively enough to discount a large majority of opinions, but I can say that the majority of Gainax's shows are completely lost on me. I love the over-the-top ridiculousness of them, I hate the humor and gratuitous sex appeal. 

Panty and Stocking was pretty much the only exception, and even that had some cringe-worthy moments. I enjoyed it as a whole though.

Edit - Oh, Evangelion 2.22 was great as well. Hated 1.11 (which leads me to believe I would loathe the show as well), and haven't seen 3.33 yet.

That is a very good point.

Replies in bold

New Kill La Kill 3 minute trailer

I am super stoked on this. October can't come fast enough for me.

(At 2:31) OHHHHH HO HO HO IS THAT A DRILL ATTACK?! CHEEKY CHEEKY TRIGGER, I SEE WHAT YOU'RE DOING.

But seriously, it looks good, as long as that fan-service-y protagnist battle suit design doesn't distract from any sort of plot I think it'll be good. 

Edited by Chaos Warp

I'd say Gurren Lagann, definitely. The animation and action is so over the top, it makes for a fun watch. However, the long winded speeches, the stupid innuendos, and the battles being won simply by running guns a blazing kinda ruined it for me.  

?

Long-winded speeches, inuendos, and gun blazing happens in a lot of action anime. Gurenn Lagann should be watched for the characters and plot :U

• Thumbs Up 1

I wanted to watch for the characters and plot but the vagina mouth robot was where I just decided I couldn't take it anymore.

• Thumbs Up 1

what

I know the robot designs are wacky, but I don't recall any vagina mouths.

It was one of the four general's designs. The bitch.

:V

I've seen much worse.

If that's the case, remind me not to watch whatever you're watching. DX

Long-winded speeches, inuendos, and gun blazing happens in a lot of action anime. Gurenn Lagann should be watched for the characters and plot :U

I would watch it for the the characters and the plot, but in the end, all of the things listed distracted me too much to enjoy it.... Of course, all this may be just me getting really annoyed by the GL fanboys constantly quoting the show to death.

Then again, those reasons could possibly be why I don't watch a lot of anime anymore, and I never realized it.

Edited by Emperor Robrainiac

Then again, those reasons could possibly be why I don't watch a lot of anime anymore, and I never realized it.

Since it seems like you get annoyed by the same shit I do, maybe you'd care for some recommendations? :P

What do you like?

Since it seems like you get annoyed by the same shit I do, maybe you'd care for some recommendations? tongue.png

What do you like?

I could go for some recommendations. Usually I have to be in the mood to watch some anime, but I do like to keep a list of what to watch in the future.

Personally, I'm fond of action or adventure based anime or some slice of life shows. I do enjoy some horror or suspense, which is something I'd like to check into this Halloween.

But I digress, I'll usually watch almost anything. What'd you got? 

Edited by Emperor Robrainiac

It's impossible to tell you what to watch unless we know what you like already. Anime is too broad to just say "watch this" although you should be watching Hunter X Hunter. 

• Thumbs Up 6

I haven´t seen the KLK trailer yet because spoilers, but meh, everything that has been pointed as strange...I actually find it pretty normal. It´s just Trigger :P

Edited by Ristar

I was thinking Neptunia was going to be a dumb, but fun series and it was never going to get so depressing.

Episode 9 looked like it, but they turned "no Adult games on consoles" into serious business so I thought it was funny.

But Episode 10, man.

That fucking ending.

I was thinking Neptunia was going to be a dumb, but fun series and it was never going to get so depressing.

Episode 9 looked like it, but they turned "no Adult games on consoles" into serious business so I thought it was funny.

But Episode 10, man.

That fucking ending.

How did they turn "no adult games" serious?