Awoo.

Official Anime/Manga Thread

Random Rhyme

Gurren is ok, I mean its cool and all but I find it overrated as fuck. I don't expect much from Kill La Kill.

Well, it was my favorite anime (before it was usurped by previously stated bakemonogatari) and it seems to have been alot of other people's favorite to. Which is why there is such high expectations for KLK  

I´ll watch Kyoukai no Kanata, KLK, Samurai Flamenco, Valvrave S2, Kyousogiga, Kuroko S2, Magi S2 and Little Busters for sure.

I am also interested in Coppelion, Nagi no Asukara, Strike the Blood, Hataraku rip-off, Machine Doll and Galilei Donna but I´m not so sure about them, so I´ll wait for a general opinion.

Edited by Ristar

So I know basically zero about Gundam. How long exactly has the franchise been at the "the robots are actually literally toys" level of merchandising?

I believe this is the first time this happened, but really gundam has been kinda over since they stopped doing universal century stuff.

So Kill La Kill takes place in a high school? Seems a bit silly. Her sword also wouldn't make that good a pair of scissors if the other half were shaped the same. I guess garden sheer blade doesn't have the same sort of ring to it though.

They're doing more infinite stratos? That has to be one of the most awesomely bad animes I've ever seen though I'm willing to be there are doezens as bad that I don't know of, though i am curious how much worse than lame fan service kendo mechs you can really get. I'm sure someone else also manages to mash a bunch of shit anime tropes together till it appealed to someone. Which reminds me, that's two different shows that feature gender specific mechs (the other being pilot candadite) that break that rule as quick as possible which I think is supposed to add intrigue but really adds questions about that characters actual gender.

Kyoukai no Kanata's gonna be the shit and I'm super hyped. No hope for Kill La Kill, which looks like more immature humor booby boobies Gainax garbage to me. Gonna get a lot of shit for that comment, but whatever. I want to love Gainax because I think their style with action and scale is really great and entertaining, but for every "GIGAAAAA... DURRRIIIILLLLLL. BREEEAAAAKKAAAAHHHH!!!!" I get like five moments of "hehe the hamster was hiding in her boobs look at the way they jiggle hehehe" twelve year old bullshit. 

On the other hand -

Wow look at that, great animation, great art direction, and great music. And the lack of suspender boobies.

Rant over. Kyoukai no Kanata looks to be the most promising show on that whole list and I can not wait.

Kyoukai no Kanata's gonna be the shit and I'm super hyped. No hope for Kill La Kill, which looks like more immature humor booby boobies Gainax garbage to me. Gonna get a lot of shit for that comment, but whatever. I want to love Gainax because I think their style with action and scale is really great and entertaining, but for every "GIGAAAAA... DURRRIIIILLLLLL. BREEEAAAAKKAAAAHHHH!!!!" I get like five moments of "hehe the hamster was hiding in her boobs look at the way they jiggle hehehe" twelve year old bullshit. 

Funny how that character in which they use that running joke with is actually a great character with good development, and they don't actually use that joke more then like 6 times in a 27 episode series. 

Edited by Chaos Warp
  • Thumbs Up 1

Gurren Lagann only had any notable amounts of fanservice within the first seven or so episodes, mostly due to its comedic bent. It's almost purely action-drama after that.

• Thumbs Up 8

Gurren Lagann only had any notable amounts of fanservice within the first seven or so episodes, mostly due to its comedic bent. It's almost purely action-drama after that.

Oh, interesting. That was around where I stopped because I couldn't fucking take it anymore and lost interest completely. 

Guess I might give it another shot eventually because I love me some giga drills and row row fight the powah's. 

Funny how that character in which they use that running joke with is actually a great character with good development, and they don't actually use that joke more then like 6 times in a 27 episode series. 

I don't like immature humor, even if the rest of the show or the characters involved are great. Soul Eater's first episode is awful and I don't like Blaire, but the rest of the show is fantastic and they don't go overboard often so I dealt with it.

The aforementioned Boobie-Eye-Vagina-Mouth-Mecha was stupid as hell too. And I didn't like those barbarian chicks or whatever they were. Don't remember much, watches it over a year ago. There was an episode with some extremely scantily clad girls in the desert or something? I dunno, hated that episode though.

Also in that Kill La Kill trailer I didn't really notice THAT much fanservice realy, unless I missed someting.

I don't typically like Gainax (Evangelion 2.22 and Panty & Stocking are the only exceptions), but I thought that the director dude at Trigger had changed and hoped that maybe working under a new name would inspire him to let his old habits die.

Boobie suspenders was all I had to see to lose hope in that completely.

Edit - 

For the record, it's not that I'm particularly prudish or have a problem with people who enjoy that sort of thing. Hell, I'm a heterosexual male. I get it. Boobs are nice, yeah. But I also think there's a time and place for everything and a bunch of immature sexual humor is really unwelcome when I'm trying to get into an action or drama show.

Edited by Discoid

On the other hand -

Wow look at that, great animation, great art direction, and great music. And the lack of suspender boobies.

Rant over. Kyoukai no Kanata looks to be the most promising show on that whole list and I can not wait.

Hmm, it looks interesting, though I'll reserve judgement for everything after I've seen 3 episodes of each. BlazBlue better be at least decent. Sigh... I wish Blood Lad were longer.

Edited by Mr. J

Pupa, that sounds fucked up enough for me to enjoy.

Oh cool, I'm not the only one interested in this.

Psychological horror/drama is cool, yo.

Hmm, it looks interesting, though I'll reserve judgement for everything after I've seen 3 episodes of each. BlazBlue better be at least decent. Sigh... I wish Blood Lad were longer.

Speaking of Blood Lad, you know they're making an OVA that will hopefully wrap things up? I've heard its coming out in December.

IT BETTAH BE 3 HOURS LONG! D: <

Speaking of Blood Lad, you know they're making an OVA that will hopefully wrap things up? I've heard its coming out in December.

IT BETTAH BE 3 HOURS LONG! D: <

The manga's not even done though :\

Oh, interesting. That was around where I stopped because I couldn't fucking take it anymore and lost interest completely. 

Please do. From what you've described, you'll love the anime much, much more Episode 8 and onwards. There's only one episode with decent fanservice after that point (minor spoilers below)

And it's kinda-sorta justified because it takes place at the beach and everyone's in swimsuits and yeah. Also, the "fanservice focus" ends roughly halfway through the episode. Not spoiling any more......

So yeah. Continue watching: You'll like it way more as it goes on. 

Edited by Chaos Warp

I dunno what it is that annoys me about Gurren Lagann. As someone mentioned, the tropes that annoyed me the most are present in most other anime, and yet for some reason, it's this particular anime, in which all those tropes bother me.

The more I think of it, the more I think it's because of the fanboys that quoted and overhyped the show to death during the height of its popularity to the point where I was sick of it. When I first watched it, I enjoyed a bit. It wasn't my favorite anime ever, and I didn't think the speeches were "On the edge of your seat awesome" but it was fun, I can say I'm glad I watched it.

But to this day, I groan whenever someone says "WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM," "GIGA DRILL BREAKER," "ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWER"  or just "MANLINESSRAWRJKLFDJKD." 

Also in terms of the LOLBEWBS and other the other innuendos, I'm not a prude either, I just feel incredibly awkward seeing stuff like that. It's a freaking mystery as to why I don't hate anime in general because of that. 

Despite that, I acknowledge as a good show. The animation is top notch. It has a very edgy, manga-esque feel to it, It has some great depth and development with the characters, especially Simon's. It's really neat to see Simon progress from being soft spoken to couragous. I'm just sick of hearing about it by this point. tongue.png

I'm not gonna lie though... This song is so incredible, it makes me want to stop an apocalypse with an epic punch.

http://youtu.be/G2AxpaH56WY

Edited by Emperor Robrainiac

The hype for Gurren Lagann has died down significantly, with most of the fanboys being on Youtube and the sane fans acknowledging that while its good, its not the second coming of anime. Really, I try not to let a fandom affect my view on a show, which is why I tend to stay away from hype in general.

As for the fanservice parts, I honestly never cared because aside from two episodes, the series doesn't really focus on it that much aside from maybe a 30 second gag. Even in the first eight episodes, more focus was on the mech battles with most of the comedy coming from how over the top Kamina was. I understand why people are turned off by excessive fanservice, but I've seen so much Anime with it, that I can either just swear off 90% of the anime out there or just deal and look at other aspects of the show. Naturally I went with the latter solution, fanservice only becomes a problem for me when its what the entire series is based around it.

• Thumbs Up 5

Of course it's not the perfect anime

Hell it relies on Spiral Power Ex Machina half the time (but I think that's part of the charm lol)

But it's just so uplifting and motivational and can invoke emotions like no other anime can, I believe that's why it's so loved and why it's ranked permanently on the top as my favorite anime ever. It's just an experience you can't get anywhere else, even though critically it's not the most perfect show in the world. 

So I caught up to the latest episode of Attack on Titan last night.

dat Light Yagami-esque creepy laugh Annie made tho

Looks like things are really heating up.

• Thumbs Up 2

Of course it's not the perfect anime

Hell it relies on Spiral Power Ex Machina half the time (but I think that's part of the charm lol)

But it's just so uplifting and motivational and can invoke emotions like no other anime can, I believe that's why it's so loved and why it's ranked permanently on the top as my favorite anime ever. It's just an experience you can't get anywhere else, even though critically it's not the most perfect show in the world. 

Well there are other Anime out there brah, and ones that are just as uplifting, and just as emotion invoking. 

Well there are other Anime out there brah, and ones that are just as uplifting, and just as emotion invoking. 

If there is I have not watched them, and even then I bet TTGL is at the top of the class in that regard. And there's other stuff to love about it too, such as how it makes no sense half the time and basically permanently runs off of Rule Of Cool. I have not seen other animes that are like that either and if there is please point me to them. 

Edited by Chaos Warp

If there is I have not watched them, and even then I bet TTGL is at the top of the class in that regard. And there's other stuff to love about it too, such as how it makes no sense half the time and basically permanently runs off of Rule Of Cool. I have not seen other animes that are like that either and if there is please point me to them. 

Gunbuster, Getter Robo, GaoGaigar, Mazinger Z, and G Gundam.

Gurren Lagann isn't the only mecha series out there, and, in fact, owes its very existence to the above shows I just mentioned. I get that Gurren Lagann is good, but it is not the only one of its kind. 

Edited by Azure Yakuzu
  • Thumbs Up 2

Gunbuster, Getter Robo, GaoGaigar, Mazinger Z, and G Gundam.

Gurren Lagann isn't the only mecha series out there, and, in fact, owes its very existence to the above shows I just mentioned. I get that Gurren Lagann is good, but it is not the only one of its kind. 

Well yeah I did know that it was one big love letter to Mecha Anime but I didn't know specific ones. 

Also I feel I'll probably have to echo what SSMB user Charlie said in the TTGL thread that even though it doesn't have an original bone in it's body, personally I had never seen any of the stuff that TTGL did in an anime before, and I was rather blown away and it'll probably hold a place in my heart forever because of that. I might check out those other mecha animes now actually. 

Well yeah I did know that it was one big love letter to Mecha Anime but I didn't know specific ones. 

Also I feel I'll probably have to echo what SSMB user Charlie said in the TTGL thread that even though it doesn't have an original bone in it's body, personally I had never seen any of the stuff that TTGL did in an anime before, and I was rather blown away and it'll probably hold a place in my heart forever because of that. I might check out those other mecha animes now actually. 

I like it too, I still do. But its kind of a slap in the face to not acknowledge the other shows, because Gurren Lagann would not have existed without it. Its kind of the reason Super Robot fans look down on Gurren Lagann fanboys when they wank it to death.

Sooooo....

Has anyone seen Muteki Koujin Daitarn 3? I'm considering watching it.

Link?