Awoo.

Official Anime/Manga Thread

Random Rhyme

I don't care about fan service like, at all. If it's there then cool, whatever I don't find it stupid or anything, just a little quirk that I can enjoy depending on it's placement.

Surprised to see a lot of people here didn't like TTGL, you can all go fuck yourselves!

im kidding btw.

Oh, it wasn't so much that as the humor just not appealing to me at all. I didn't like the girl who had the weird obsession with sexually assaulting Naota much, but it wasn't a big enough deal to actually put me off the show like with Gurren Lagann or Panty & Stocking. It wasn't bad, I just couldn't get into it, personally.

I do appreciate that they actually do have a reason for putting all that in, then. So long it's not overtly perverse for no reason other than to be that way, I can't say I have a problem with it existing, it just doesn't appeal to me at all. I just feel really uncomfortable watching it, regardless of why they put it in.

I will admit that stuff like this is freaking awesome, though:

tumblr_m79v6zMqgr1ruvxico1_500.jpg

There's also scenes like this

and this

Where the music and visuals work together to make something way more memorable then it has any right being. Although if you're not into the J-rock soundtrack I can't really see that being that much of a plus, hahah.

I have a big softspot for this show.

also the fights are awesome

Fuck, your avatar keeps distracting me. What was I saying again?

Yeah, its like Pikachu is saying "Yeah, you like it when i do this dont you? Yeah, this is cute, dont you think? You wanna pet me, you know you do. You wanna pet me raw!".

Also funny you say this, considering TTGL ends in

a fist fight

And that's why I loved the finale. Well, the first five minutes of the final episode, anyway, when it was still on the fight.

Seriously, as someone who thinks giant robots are really uncool, it felt like they basically wrote that ending fight just for me. Whilst I'd been quietly facepalming at how the series had ended up having people piloting big robots piloting bigger robots piloting even bigger robots to a ridiculous point of "I heard you like robots so I put robots in your robots so you can pilot robots while you pilot robots", suddenly for that last scene it's all just like "lol nope" and strips away every single layer of the ridiculous mecha Russian doll that it had been building up for the whole series.

Also using the opening song as an insert song in an anime automatically makes any scene way better.

I still don't think it made the series as a whole good, but it at least made me feel like I got something of an awesome reward for sitting through a relatively meh series. To be honest, I only stuck with Gurren-Lagann all the way because it was a short series; I thought I may as well just finish the thing. If it had been say, 52 episodes or so, I don't think I'd have bothered.

Oh, it wasn't so much that as the humor just not appealing to me at all. I didn't like the girl who had the weird obsession with sexually assaulting Naota much, but it wasn't a big enough deal to actually put me off the show like with Gurren Lagann or Panty & Stocking. It wasn't bad, I just couldn't get into it, personally.

There is actually a reason for Mamimi to assault Naota- she's using him as sort of a substitute for his brother, who was her boyfriend. FLCL is a show where all the sexuality is well thought out- it just then tries really hard to look random.

You guys watch Anime, yet hate fanservice......there's a contradiction here.

I've been reading your posts... you've got quite a stereotipified vision of animu and Japanese culture as a whole, don't you?

I've been reading your posts... you've got quite a stereotipified vision of animu and Japanese culture as a whole, don't you?

It was a joke, calm your nips.

Why is Luffy so goddamn tall and long-faced in chapter 0 of the manga?

Because it's a prequel.

I do appreciate that they actually do have a reason for putting all that in, then. So long it's not overtly perverse for no reason other than to be that way, I can't say I have a problem with it existing, it just doesn't appeal to me at all. I just feel really uncomfortable watching it, regardless of why they put it in.

Well, "regardless of why they put it in" doesn't really matter. Even when it serves a thematic or narrative purpose, there's rarely any question that the fanservice is also functioning as fanservice, pure and simple. There is no contradiction between the high function and the low function. Distaste and disapproval remain wholly legitimate.

As far as giant robots go, for me it's more a point of design. I like machines and cool machines in general, so as a work of art, if you like, then I find giant robots quite visually pleasing. As to what they're used for, though: I agree that if giant robots are being used as proxies for the personal strength of their pilot without there being any direct in-universe correlation between the strength of the pilot and the strength of the robot, then that is very silly - as also is the idea that all of the philosophical contention between the characters, the debate between good and evil and their methods, should come down to something as brutal and physical as the equivalent of a fistfight, whether that's a giant robot fistfight, a literal fistfight, or skill at piloting a giant robot. (Note that this still doesn't apply to Gurren Lagann, where the climactic battle still came down to the relative wills of the competitors. You could say the same thing about Evangelion, or my personal favourite, The Big O. Fantasy is a wonderful thing.) But it is possible to have a giant robot show that's not really about the giant robots. In Gundam 00 then they essentially stood in for a technological arms race. There wasn't really any need for the robots to be giant humanoid robots, and that's kind of why they worked, I think. There was a debate going on there about innovation and progress, and giant mechanical weapons are suited to that. (Although I far preferred the first season, which was essentially a post-9/11 political commentary, rather than the second season, which was about itself.)

Random anime-related thought from batson approaching:

So ive been watching some Naruto lately. Ive never seen more than a few odd episodes in the past, but a friend of mine convinced me to start watching a whole story arch with him. I think its one that happens early in the series, and its about Naruto and his buds and a whole bunch of other kids taking some exam that involves screwing around in a forrest and fighting in a tournament. Its pretty cool.

Anyway, im generally not a shipper. By which i mean i generally dont care about which character should end up with which other character in a work of fiction. But i will say this; if Naruto doesnt end up with the girl called Hinata there is going to be one less manga-writer in the world (by which i mean the guy who writes Naruto... in case anyone didnt get it). The two just comes of as such great good people, both of them, and i totally wouldnt feel satisfied with the series ending if they didnt get each other as rewards for being so sweet. What the hell does Naruto see in that annoying, abusive Sakura girl anyway? For god sakes Naruto, the sweetest girl in the universe is totally in love with you and yet you chose to go after a human version of Amy Rose? Youre to good for her! And Hinata is to good for not getting to be with you!

And whaddaya know, i think i for the first time in my life know how all those 13-year old girls that can be found fighting each other at the comment sections at AMVs on Youtube feel. tongue.png

Oh, and while im at the topic of Naruto; that kid based on Bruce Lee is fucking awesome. Cant use any of that fancy-pants magic involving wind or water or fire or clones or whatever and yet he kicks so much ass. I bet if Bruce was still alive and saw the show he would feel so damn honored.

Edited by batson

Random anime-related thought from batson approaching:

So ive been watching some Naruto lately. Ive never seen more than a few odd episodes in the past, but a friend of mine convinced me to start watching a whole story arch with him. I think its one that happens early in the series, and its about Naruto and his buds and a whole bunch of other kids taking some exam that involves screwing around in a forrest and fighting in a tournament. Its pretty cool.

Anyway, im generally not a shipper. By which i mean i generally dont care about which character should end up with which other character in a work of fiction. But i will say this; if Naruto doesnt end up with the girl called Hinata there is going to be one less manga-writer in the world (by which i mean the guy who writes Naruto... in case anyone didnt get it). The two just comes of as such great good people, both of them, and i totally wouldnt feel satisfied with the series ending if they didnt get each other as rewards for being so sweet. What the hell does Naruto see in that annoying, abusive Sakura girl anyway? For god sakes Naruto, the sweetest girl in the universe is totally in love with you and yet you chose to go after a human version of Amy Rose? Youre to good for her! And Hinata is to good for not getting to be with you!

And whaddaya know, i think i for the first time in my life know how all those 13-year old girls that can be found fighting each other at the comment sections at AMVs on Youtube feel. tongue.png

Oh, and while im at the topic of Naruto; that kid based on Bruce Lee is fucking awesome. Cant use any of that fancy-pants magic involving wind or water or fire or clones or whatever and yet he kicks so much ass. I bet if Bruce was still alive and saw the show he would feel so damn honored.

Oh how cute, you're still in Part 1, the good portion.

So I've been watching Sword Art Online, and with the exception of Episode 6, I'm quite enjoying it. The story's good, I like the protagonist, the animation is fantastic, and I'm really liking the soundtrack as well.

It wasn't until recently that I found out why I liked the soundtrack, though. It was the same composer who did Puella Magi Madoka Magica:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4Fea8S1S_I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un0Cb_6Kw-4

And now it all makes sense.

Okay, looks like Naruto might be able to save itself. Thank god there's more to it than last week explained.

Those Kage sure are useless.

Don't worry, Tsunade just needs to put her best foot forward.....

Oh wait...

Edited by Ragna the Bloodedge

HOLY FECKING SHIT NARUTO. Thank God, no Kishi no Jutsu. The Kages are all dead as they SHOULD be. No super powerfull jutsu in the last second, no, they are mutilated. And now they will tell about the Obito's resurrection, hell yes. No tables were flipped today.

Edited by Jango

No, they shouldn't. The five most powerful ninja were just off-screened by a zombie. That's stupid. They hardly put up a fight.

And Tsunade said she is going to save them.

This zombie was fecking Madaraman, he IS one of the strongest ninjas ever born. The kages are indeed strong, by their own villages standards. There are lots of ninjas, that aren't Madara, stronger than the kages, even Jiraya is probaly stronger than Tsunade or the Raikage. Madara is just too strong now with the Rinnegan, Hashirama's cells and full Susano'o, the kages defeat was logical.

Edited by Jango