Awoo.

Official Anime/Manga Thread

Random Rhyme

Well Sword Art Online will move onto covering the third and fourth volume of the Fairy Dance Arc. It is placed in a whole different game world and everyone looks like fairies and elves.

http://www.crunchyro...esigns-revealed

Here is a link to all their designs. I will have to get used to the elf ears, but I think I am going to like this. Though I don't like how they are shoving whole three gaming worlds into a 25 episode series. The new world is called Alfheim Online.

Not sure how I feel about that. From srs bsns rpg to suddenly fairies. Guess I'll go into it with a LOZ mindset since Asuna kinda reminds me of Zelda in that design haha. Kirito on the other hand... He looks like he's got some epic bed hair going on. :b

If that new world is another virtual reality one, I fear for the safety of his body. He looked like he was practically a skeleton after he freed everyone from SAO. At the rate he's going, he'll be bed written by the end of the series.

I'm rewatching one of my favorite animes. The first Fullmetal Alchemist anime. To this day I still prefer the first anime story over the manga/second anime, and it's sad to see it get unfairly bashed because it doesn't follow the Almighty manga storyline.

My favorite thing about the first anime is that it gives the Homunculi more character development. Take Lust as an example. In the manga/second anime she's a boring femme fatale where as in the first anime she has a real personality and gets character development.

I also like how the story gets darker towards the end. The manga/second anime put jokes in at inappropriate moments that really took me out of the story.

I'm rewatching one of my favorite animes. The first Fullmetal Alchemist anime. To this day I still prefer the first anime story over the manga/second anime, and it's sad to see it get unfairly bashed because it doesn't follow the Almighty manga storyline.

My favorite thing about the first anime is that it gives the Homunculi more character development. Take Lust as an example. In the manga/second anime she's a boring femme fatale where as in the first anime she has a real personality and gets character development.

I also like how the story gets darker towards the end. The manga/second anime put jokes in at inappropriate moments that really took me out of the story.

>Implying Brotherhood isn't dark.

Hey, if you prefer the first Anime, cool but don't go implying its not dark or has its extremely dark moments.

Haven't watched it personally, but I hear a lot of good things about how funny Gintama is.

For everyone reading the big 3, all are now out. Naruto and Bleach were not very good at all in IMO and I'll write up more about them later.... probably. Haven't read one piece yet.

Yes. Watch Gintama. For crying out loud, watch Gintama.

Admittedly it takes a little while to really hit its stride (alas, especially in the anime) and as such the early episodes are a little hit-and-miss, but stick with it long enough and suddenly it's the best thing ever.

Easily my favourite series. It's just so goddamned versatile. It'll make you laugh, cry, and everything in between. It turns its hand to so many things and does them really well. Gintama really deserves more popularity outside of Japan than it has/ got.

Haven't watched it personally, but I hear a lot of good things about how funny Gintama is.

For everyone reading the big 3, all are now out. Naruto and Bleach were not very good at all in IMO and I'll write up more about them later.... probably. Haven't read one piece yet.

Thanks for the update.

I am curious on how Kishi will explain this shit.

>Implying Brotherhood isn't dark.

Did you read what I wrote?

I never said that Brotherhood wasn't dark. I'm just saying that it had jokes in weird places that seemed odd. The manga/Brotherhood had a haapy ending. The first anime didn't. It was more of a bittersweet ending.

I never said that Brotherhood wasn't dark. I'm just saying that it had jokes in weird places that seemed odd.

I'm pretty sure that was done so it's not completely cynical, ya know, like the first series.

The manga/Brotherhood had a happy ending. The first anime didn't. It was more of a bittersweet ending.

Considering all of the shit the protagonists had to go through in Brotherhood/manga, they damn sure earned that ending. I'm not saying the first series isn't bad because I liked it too because of the aforementioned reasons you mentioned, but I feel the message was a lot more powerful in manga/Brotherhood, even if it does fall flat in quite a few places, the Homunculi(barring Greed ironically enough) being one of them.

I just finished rewatching the episode where Hughes dies.

I love how Hughes gets more screentime in the first anime. You really feel the lost of him dying more here then you do in Brotherhood.

Considering all of the shit the protagonists had to go through in Brotherhood/manga, they damn sure earned that ending.

Eeeeeehhhhh. I honestly thought it went a bit overboard with the smiles and rainbows.

Ed and Al getting their bodies back? Cool. Ed and Winry getting married? Cool. Scar getting released by the military? ... Um. But he murdered multiple doze- Mustang gets his sight back? But he just lost it why would they so quickl- Havoc is fully healed? What happened to the character develo- Pride is fully recovered and redeemed now? But I thought he wa- and it just goes on and on.

It's a bit much after the tone of the rest of the series.

Edited by Dissident
  • Thumbs Up 1

1347954675.jpg?v=1347961795

Anyone here know about Psycho-Pass? You guys should probably be keeping your eyes on Psycho-Pass. Psycho-Pass is fun. Good ol' fashioned cyberpunk-y, gory, Production I.G.-y, morally bankrupt fun. Also, the creator has prohibited staff from saying the word "moe." So if you're not into those kinds of current trends in anime, this will probably be for you.

First episode came out today and sets the stage well, introducing you the principle cast and overall world, its subsequent dilemmas, and some strange foreshadowing. The premise is basically Minority Report; you can be considered a criminal worthy of execution through a city-wide system that scans your potentiality levels for crime, or rather your Psycho Pass. If it's too high for whatever reason, the Inspectors will come find you and blast you with all sorts of cool weaponry. It's started out pretty graphically raw, sorta in the vain of Deadman Wonderland but just as frustrating as it is shocking considering the killing and depravity are normalized within this universe. We've also got an interesting ragtag group of characters, most of whom are "criminals" themselves but who are employed nonetheless due to their special skill sets. I'm very interested in seeing where this goes and am hoping for the best. 21 more episodes to go.

Also, the guy in my avvy voices the main character so I'm clearly biased.

Eeeeeehhhhh. I honestly thought it went a bit overboard with the smiles and rainbows.

Ed and Al getting their bodies back? Cool. Ed and Winry getting married? Cool. Scar getting released by the military? ... Um. But he murdered multiple doze- Mustang gets his sight back? But he just lost it why would they so quickl- Havoc is fully healed? What happened to the character develo- Pride is fully recovered and redeemed now? But I thought he wa- and it just goes on and on.

It's a bit much after the tone of the rest of the series.

I couldn't agree more. Even if it's different from the manga the first series as a whole feels like much more solid series with much better pacing, consistent tone and character development. Also the ending, while not happy, is much more believable and consistent with the overall message of the show which is that the decisions we make in life can have serious consequences that can never be completely fixed or redeemed.

The Elric Brothers fucked with the laws of the universe and paid dearly for it. However, instead of learning to live with their their choices they naively hope to fix all their problems at no cost, despite all their experiences showing them that getting what they want comes at the cost of fucking the laws of the universe even harder.

Brotherhoods' "Happily ever after" ending really contradicts the core message of "equivalent exchange" since all Ed lost was his dead-beat dad that he barely even knew and his alchemy, which is actually a blessing since he's no longer a state alchemist and can't be forced to do more horrible shit for the government.in exchange he got his arm back, got his brother's body back, got happily married to an expert automail mechanic so his fake leg isn't even an issue, and had child. FFS, Ed even loses his running Neapolitan complex gag since he grows to a normal height for some reason.

PS:I didn't really like rather generic shonen slugfest in the final battle. Instead of being the ultimate test of Ed's skill as an alchemic prodigy is more of a screaming struggle of muscles and determination.

• Thumbs Up 1

.....To avoid the inevitable anime vs. Brotherhood war, I will just agree to disagree and say that both series have their high and low points.

So....is it a bad thing to say Akane is sorta moe then?

ph34r.png

But yeah, just finished the first episode. 2nd half blew me away. Looking forward to the next episode and more on how life is in the world of Psycho-Pass.

Seriously, even when you're a hostage or an attempted rape victim, the system judges you as a criminal?

sad.png

I just finished rewatching the episode where Hughes dies.

I love how Hughes gets more screentime in the first anime. You really feel the lost of him dying more here then you do in Brotherhood.

That was done on purpose, so that people who watched the first anime didn't have to sit through more of the same in the beginning. The first chunk of episodes is essentially the same story. They just wanted to shorten how much audiences had to re-watch.

I prefer Brotherhood more (I love the show despite some flaws) because I feel like the story knows where it is going, if that makes any sense. The first anime went all over the place at times, the farther I watched the more it felt like the plot didn't have any idea where it was going. And the ending of the first anime is kind of balls, despite the second being a little too "Happy" (Greed's death almost made me cry).

Each are amazing in their own right (the first anime was much darker in tone which in turn heightened the emotional impact of events) , but really it's more of a question of personal preference rather than quality.

Edited by The Sarcastic Simisear

The ending of the first FMA was a letdown in quality from the rest of the series, but I didn't think it was too outlandish. At least it brought us that magnificent final battle between Ed and Envy, which was definitely one of the main highlights of the entire show for me.

I also liked what was behind the gate in FMA1 better than whatever the manga version had.

• Thumbs Up 1

I also liked what was behind the gate in FMA1 better than whatever the manga version had.

I have a lot of trouble swallowing the

alternate universe thing, especially when they ended up in Nazi Germany.

Basically my suspension of disbelief was broken. The somewhat more supernatural explanations for both alchemy and the gate from the manga fit in-universe a lot better. As does the homunculus thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Also, Brotherhood has that intense sequence with Mustang and Envy. It was, if nothing else, one of the best moments in either series (if not anime in general).

Scar as an antagonist was a little more satisfying in the first anime compared to the second, where he just sort of faded into a side character.

I love the music in the first anime so much.

I can't get this song out of my head.

That was done on purpose, so that people who watched the first anime didn't have to sit through more of the same in the beginning. The first chunk of episodes is essentially the same story. They just wanted to shorten how much audiences had to re-watch.

I understand that, but they did such a half-ass job.

One Is All, All Is One is a crap version of the manga story they even removed the mask man which was an important part of the story. And having Cornello turn into the hulk is fucking terrible.

For a series that was meant to be closer to the manga they sure cut corners at times.

Edited by Vampfox

I love the music in the first anime so much.

I can't get this song out of my head.

I understand that, but they did such a half-ass job.

One Is All, All Is One is a crap version of the manga story they even removed the mask man which was an important part of the story. And having Cornello turn into the hulk is fucking terrible.

For a series that was meant to be closer to the manga they sure cut corners at times.

Like he said , they did that to avoid too many similarities to the first series, though I can understand how it would seem stupid.

The ending of the first FMA was a letdown in quality from the rest of the series, but I didn't think it was too outlandish. At least it brought us that magnificent final battle between Ed and Envy, which was definitely one of the main highlights of the entire show for me.

I was lost at the alternate dimension theme in Nazi Germany and Dante's whole reason to ending entire civilizations was weak. Sure, Father was vague and pretty much an enigma, but he was not going so far to end life as we know so he could live out some twisted Twilight fantasy.

• Thumbs Up 1