Awoo.

Pokemon Anime General Discussion

King Frosty

Don't talk to me about weird fanfics. Or else I'll tell the story of "A Day Inside May."

And there's no u in his name, last I remember. Just a chouon. I'm no expert on romanizations, though.

Huh, you're right, he's "Shoota". Was thinking of a different character, apparently.

well gj nintend

Technically it would generally be romanized as 'Shouta' or 'Shota', pronounced 'Shorta' / Show-ta'.

Also, why are we complaining about pacing? D:

Technically it would generally be romanized as 'Shouta' or 'Shota', pronounced 'Shorta' / Show-ta'.

Also, why are we complaining about pacing? D:

No, I checked the kanas, there's no U there, it's a long Sho sound

No, I checked the kanas, there's no U there, it's a long Sho sound

It's the same. An extended 'o' and an 'ou' both sound like 'oar' in Japanese. Even though the spelling is differnt, the sound is the same.

I found the new leaked opening for the Pokémon anime! :o

What do you think Ash's new rival's name will be in English?

Wow, that's actually really well made. XD

(It's a fan animation based on the second Naruto Shippuden opening)

But yeah, even if you believed it was real, the fact it's clearly based on DP... yeah.

• Thumbs Up 1

So. Just watched Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction. And, uh, it was not good. Like at all.

It feels like it was missing a lot of footage, and I wasn't watching the Cartoon Network airing.

The so called Cocoon of Destruction doesn't appear until 40+ minutes in, and this is a 70+ minute movie. Yveltal just lasers everyone to death with no semblance of character. It's not even explained why it did this and is only implied to be angry or something.

Diancie was a nice character, but I feel the bonding scene with Serena and Bonnie was utterly pointless if the majority of bonding was going to be with Ash. It's just stereotypical girls go shopping that leads to nothing.

Mega Diancie appears onscreen for less than two minutes. Bra-goddamn-vo, Japan. Thanks for hyping THAT up. And they wasted so much time with "gotta find Xerneas!" when the actual meeting was incredibly underwhelming.

The villains, while varied, got on my nerves at the end with the game off keep away. I feel that they should've cut out half to stop wasting time and make it less crowded. Either Riot and Marilyn or Millis and Argus.

And Pikachu gets turned to stone?!...again, for less than a minute. Pointless.

Overall, I give this a 4/10. Passable on some places, mediocre everywhere else.

Here's to Hoopa.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, at least Yveltal didn't pull a Heel-Face Turn, it seems. That's a nice change of pace from pretty much every other Pokemon movie with an antagonist Pokemon.

Well, at least Yveltal didn't pull a Heel-Face Turn, it seems. That's a nice change of pace from pretty much every other Pokemon movie with an antagonist Pokemon.

• Thumbs Up 3

The only reason I didn't give it a 2 was the scene of Yveltal no-selling Argus's missiles and then blasting the ship.

It appealed to my inner destruction-loving child.

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's hoping that the next series based on the next generation doesn't use up both version mascots in one movie...

At least they didn't ruin Yveltal by turning him into yet another misunderstood Legendary. Was getting sick of that trope, so it's nice to see him actually being evil and doing what he was made to do; destroy and kill. >=D

A Pokémon movie was underwhelming/ disappointing/ dull?

Wow, holy crap, that's totally never happened before. [/sarcasm] D:

Seriously though, most of the Pokémon movies are bad. There are like two or three of them that are almost good, but most of them are painfully dull and average best. A couple of them almost literally bored me to sleep.

I love the Pokémon franchise to bits, but if you go into the movies with any kind of expectations then you're basically doing it wrong. =|

It's the opposite for me, only a couple are dull IMO. The BW movies, Zoroark movie, and the Power of One come to mind. Diancie wasn't dull or bad, just a bit underwhelming.

I find that they've just gotten too samey after the tenth one.

If there a bingo card for Pokemon movies after 10, these'd be the options:

-One big bad legendary in a negative role.

-Smaller, cutesy legendary who meets and befriends Ash and friends.

-Said smaller legendary is in some kind of trouble, possibly due to the aforementioned big bad, and needs Ash's help.

-One or more of these Pokemon can speak psychically.

-One or more human characters who also befriend the heroes and helps them in protecting the little legendary.

-Takes place in an anime-exclusive town or city heavily inspired by a real-world location.

-Big bad legendary goes on rampage through said town or city.

-Ultimate macguffin/deux ex machina ending.

I find that they've just gotten too samey after the tenth one.

If there a bingo card for Pokemon movies after 10, these'd be the options:

-One big bad legendary in a negative role.

-Smaller, cutesy legendary who meets and befriends Ash and friends.

-Said smaller legendary is in some kind of trouble, possibly due to the aforementioned big bad, and needs Ash's help.

-One or more of these Pokemon can speak psychically.

-One or more human characters who also befriend the heroes and helps them in protecting the little legendary.

-Takes place in an anime-exclusive town or city heavily inspired by a real-world location.

-Big bad legendary goes on rampage through said town or city.

-Ultimate macguffin/deux ex machina ending.

Honestly, you can apply that to virtually every movie. 

• Thumbs Up 1

My personal rankings:

Fairly good: Lucario, Arceus

Okay/ Decent: Mewtwo, Celebi

So-so: Latias/ Latios, Jirachi, Zoroark,  

Dull/ meh: Darkrai, Victini, Diancie, Keldeo, Genesect

Very very dull: Lugia, Deoxys, Giratina

I've not seen the Manaphy movie and haven't watched the Entei one recently enough to judge it fairly. Admittedly I struggled with some of these, couldn't decided whether a lot should go in 'so-so' or 'dull/meh'.

Even at their absolute best, I wouldn't really give any of the Pokémon movies higher than a 6/10 IMO. I find the biggest problem with most of the Pokémon movies isn't that they're outright bad, but rather that they're just mind-numbingly dull more often than not. 

My personal rankings:

Fairly good: Lucario, Arceus

Okay/ Decent: Mewtwo, Celebi

So-so: Latias/ Latios, Jirachi, Zoroark,  

Dull/ meh: Darkrai, Victini, Diancie, Keldeo, Genesect

Very very dull: Lugia, Deoxys, Giratina

I've not seen the Manaphy movie and haven't watched the Entei one recently enough to judge it fairly. Admittedly I struggled with some of these, couldn't decided whether a lot should go in 'so-so' or 'dull/meh'.

Even at their absolute best, I wouldn't really give any of the Pokémon movies higher than a 6/10 IMO. I find the biggest problem with most of the Pokémon movies isn't that they're outright bad, but rather that they're just mind-numbingly dull more often than not. 

Where does "Spell of the Unown" fit in here?