Awoo.

Pokemon Anime General Discussion

King Frosty

So I watched an episode of "Did you Know Anime?" that talked about Pokémon and it actually explained the reason why the girls keep getting swapped out. They said it was because the people who work on the anime said that boys need new eyes candy every so often.

I'm no femnisist but I will say this... That's the stupidest reason to keep changing characters!

Doesn't help that it is kinda creepy since some adults and teenagers watch this and the kids in the show are like, 12. o__o

I know age of consent in Japan is 14, but I still find it a bit icky.

So I watched an episode of "Did you Know Anime?" that talked about Pokémon and it actually explained the reason why the girls keep getting swapped out. They said it was because the people who work on the anime said that boys need new eyes candy every so often.

I'm no femnisist but I will say this... That's the stupidest reason to keep changing characters!

it was just post in the thread, we were talking about it

I don't mind eyecandy, but good lord don't make the eyecandy the bare minimum age

what ten year old would realistically be a good trainer anyways

I was ten and was absolutely horrible at Pokémon

In fact I still am BUT ANYWAY

On the subject of eye candy... I wonder why they chose Iris over Hilda? Unless that had something to do with BW trying to be like Kanto with two gym leaders following Ash. Iris is dumb so :V

Kinda weird though, that's for sure.

• Thumbs Up 1

Actually, I had an odd thought.

Given the events of The Strongest Mega Evolution Act III... doesn't this mean that Groudon and Kyogre have technically been revived and fought twice in recent times in the anime canon? 

I mean, they had the whole Groudon/ Kyogre battle in Advance Generation, and now in the same continuity we've had the one in the Mega Evolution specials. 

Lol @ the Pokemon anime being sexist argument.

Yes, that's why Misty was a tomboy who didnt take any of Ash shit, and that's why May and Dawn were given journeys/goals/importance that was near equal to the main character, and that's why Iris swung on vines and tamed dragons. But nope, because they put on a swimsuit on occasoin they're just sex objects.

Look im not gonna act like the anime isnt guilty of this, but compared to 90% of other anime out there it's extremley tame, it's a fucking kids show for christ sake, and one disgusting quote by some asshat who doesnt even work there anymore doesnt change what I actually see in the show proper.

(im know im late, but god this annoyed me)

It's not the reason, they keep changing females because they stop being relevant when there's a new Gen, its a marketing based decision rather then an eye candy one.

It's not the reason, they keep changing females because they stop being relevant when there's a new Gen, its a marketing based decision rather then an eye candy one.

Just popping in to point out that yes, he really, honest-to-god did say they do it for "eye candy".

So then I said, “Why can’t you just ditch Brock, have Ash, have Misty, and then bring in a new boy? That would be switching up things instead of having a new girl.” His following answers made me laugh my head off I had to pick it up off the floor and reattach it. He stated that they like to switch up the girls because it gives the boys some new eye candy every once in a while. He also said girls are more customizable and you can change their outfits, like when they are in their bathing suits (yes, he specifically said that). He also said Ken Sugimori designs a new girl with each generation and that gives them another excuse to switch the girl, though I reminded him that there is also a new boy with each generation too, and it wouldn’t hurt to use them.

Yeah, there's that bit at the end, but it's preceeded by two pretty damning bits of evidence.

*leaves*

I've decided to just take that quote with a grain of salt. From what I've seen May was only ever the one who borderlined eyecandy, and even then Unless the Gen 7 girl has cleavage that could break steel, it's not even close to Japan's standards of eyecandy.

You also have to consider it from a PR standpoint. Either he pissed off feminists or he pissed off faithful viewers (let's be honest, they switch them to market the games, narative and continuity are the last thing they care about)

• Thumbs Up 1

Even if that statement about the females is true, they at least bothered to give them some characterization beyond being a pair of sex on legs. That is a lot more than I can about most other Shonen out there, especially compared to Yugioh which struggles to have its females do anything relevant aside from being a walking pair of breasts.

Sex sells. It fucking sucks, its sexist for all genders, but the anime writers dealt with it in the best way they can despite their shitty reasoning.

Yeah, true. I'll give them that, it's not like they ever tried to throw in upskirt shots or anything (Thank god for that).

Plus I don't think it's fair to consider skirts inherently sexual.

A lot of the people I know who wear them think they're cute.

Aaaah, holy crap. Today is apparently 18 years to the day that the Pokémon anime started in Japan.

Just

God damn :0

• Thumbs Up 1

I've got to hand it to Ash.

Battles with NFE pokemon for 18 years and manages to stay 10years old the whole time.

• Thumbs Up 2

I've got to hand it to Ash.

Battles with NFE pokemon for 18 years and manages to stay 10years old the whole time.

The reason why Ash stays so young is that he secretly absorbs energy from his companions. He's actually a vampire.

Yeah, true. I'll give them that, it's not like they ever tried to throw in upskirt shots or anything (Thank god for that).

tumblr_nm5ii8AlZo1r1alb2o1_1280.jpg

(I kid, I kid.)

Aaaah, holy crap. Today is apparently 18 years to the day that the Pokémon anime started in Japan.

Just

God damn :0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBzhJA6wYQM

18 years!? Damn! Do I feel old!

tumblr_nm6rmq6acJ1r8sc3ro1_400.giftumblr_nm6rmq6acJ1r8sc3ro2_400.gif

tumblr_nm6rmq6acJ1r8sc3ro3_400.giftumblr_nm6rmq6acJ1r8sc3ro4_400.gif

tumblr_nm6rmq6acJ1r8sc3ro5_400.giftumblr_nm6rmq6acJ1r8sc3ro6_400.gif

There will be no more budget left for this show after next week's episode

• Thumbs Up 6

Man, it's been close to two years and they're just getting to the third gym battle???