Awoo.

Pokemon Anime General Discussion

King Frosty

Though it'd be interesting if they did. I remember the movie 7 manga apparently had its own manga-exclusive villain.

oSQHmbh.png

(He was the professors assistant instead of Yuko)

Pokemon Speak is indeed a thing that annoyed me, but I've been watching the dub for over 15 years so I just grew desensitized to it. 

I believe its just a natural result of the localization of the Pokemon names, can't really change that.

One thing I've found odd is how inconsistent they are with some things.

Like, sometimes in the dub, they'll leave a Pokémon with it's Japanese voice, even when it has a different name in Japanese. This has happened quite a few times, but some that stand out most to me are an Ursaring in the Arceus movie still saying 'Guma' (from its Japanese name, Ringuma) and Limone's Ampharos still saying 'Ryu' in the dub (from Denryu).

Seriously, they should just not dub any of the Pokémon *shot* 

For Ursaring, I believe it's because the voice sounds garbled enough that no one would be able to make out what it's saying anyway.

It's like Ash's Charizard. I didn't for the life of me know it was saying "Lizardon" until I rewatched Pikachu's Vacation and saw a scene where it roars its full name.

Fun fact: in "Princess vs Princess" Brock's Vulpix keeps it's Japanese voice for this episode only. It's believe they ran out of time to dub it since they already had to delay the episode for all the paint edits it had.

Pokémon Speak can be interesting at times.

But I don't like the scary noises that game Pokémon make. D:

This does make me wonder why they bothered dubbing Pancham.

Not only is his Japanese name only a letter out from his English name, but pretty much all they ever say in the Japanese version is "Chamu chamu" (cham cham). That's hardly different enough to warrant the 'meh' dubbing they do for dub Pancham. D:

Also, I remember in some of the very early episodes, where they had to rub over Pikachu (I believe Rachel Lillis did it?) when they couldn't separate his dialogue well enough from the Japanese audio tracks? It's always ridiculously noticeable whenever they did. XD

Pikachu's voice is the only genuinely interesting one because he's actually got his own language going on.

@Mark: and yes, that was Rachel Lillis.

The one Pokémon voice that always annoyed me most was Aggron. God it was AWFUL! Just have it roar or something, not growl AAAAAAAGRRON every five seconds. >< Another one I hated was Piplup, with its annoying, squeaky voice that makes my ears bleed.

Oh yah, notice that both of these examples are from the TPCi era too. Just goes to show how crappy their dubbing is for Pokéspeak.

At least Piplup itself was annoying so the voice fit.

Oshawott's dub voice barely went over a whisper despite him supposed to be really loud and obnoxious.

Grumblegrumbledamnthingshould'veevolvedgrumble

I never liked Pokémon Speak, especially with how awful it got during BW.

8 foot long Scolipede sounds like Scratch? Whut.

Leavanny sounds like it's permanently trapped in a pubescent limbo with its voice breaking constantly? Gah.

The Douse Drive Gene-NOPE. NOPE. FLUTTERSHY'S VOICE SHOULD NOT COME OUT OF THAT BODY.

Suffice to say, I missed Eric Stuart.

And count me in as one of those that did not know Charizard roared Lizardon until recently. It's really hard to tell so I'm not surprised they kept it. I think as long as it doesn't sound like the Japanese name of the Pokémon, they keep it in Japanese.

To be fair, Leavanny's Japanese voice was pretty much the same way.

Jessie's Yanmega will always be my favorite Pokemon voice simply for the moment when Jessie found out it was a female.

Pokemon speak tends to be reserved mainly for the "cute" Pokemon, while the fully evolved adults get generic roars to look more intimidating. With few exceptions. 

Fun fact, the Charizard thing also applies to Garchomp too, albeit not as noticeable since it tends to say "gar"(gaburias).

4Kids were just as bad with Pokéspeak, I'm afraid. I've been watching AG (dub) recently, and two notable examples for 'oh-god-they're-terrible' are Machop and Nuzeleaf/ Shiftry.

Also, in fairness, that Genesect sounded like that in Japanese, too.

I don't mind Lisa Ortiz's Osahwott, although I do still prefer Mijumaru in Japanese. Thankfully Ash's Buizel and Iris' Dragonite both kept their Japanese voices in the dub. :P

It was also amusing that Pidgeotto and Pidgeot kept their Japanese voice.

Mostly because it meant that Pidgeot actually said 'Pidgeotto'. :P

Did the dub create the badass regi pokéspeak from movie 7, or was it already like that in the JP since they have the same names? Because it's some of my favourite sounds in cinema history

RE-RE-RE-RE-REJIROKKU-GON-GON-GON-GON-GON-BEEBEEBEEBEEBEEBOP

• Thumbs Up 3

Regice's voice was always super eerie to me, I loved it. That was the sound of something that was going to try and kill you.

REGICE! REEEEGIIIIICEEEEE!

I love the Regis, and I think it's got something to do with the way they sound. It's awesome. XD Suitably robotic and strange.

We got new titles. The first is Ash meets Shota. The second is...another Gym battle.

Sigh... Ash vs Clemont was nine episodes after Ash vs Ramos. This is only seven episodes after the previous one.

A Battle At the Fashion Show! Bagon VS Spritzee!!

Laverre Gym Battle! The Beautiful Fairy Trap!!

Come on, writers. Getter Banban will last till next year as openings usually do. You have plenty of time to do the sixth and seventh Gyms.