Awoo.

Pokemon Anime General Discussion

King Frosty

Damn it, damn it, damn it.

Ash finally has a dargon on his team...and he lets him go in like 5 episodes flat.

~sigh

I wonder who gets the Noibat though? Possible Goomy replacement?

• Thumbs Up 1

Ash finally has a dargon on his team...and he lets him go in like 5 episodes flat.

~sigh

Well...Noibat's a dragon type too so....

If anybody was ever questioning if the Mega Evolution specials were canon to the main anime, today's Japanese episode pretty much confirmed it.

Who thought that? They even outright mentioned Ash fighting Sycamore's Garchomp in the first episode.

~sigh

You forgot that Goodra is Ash's second Dragon type, the first is Gible. Then again Goodra is Ash's first pure Dragon type.

Still I'm pretty mad that Goodra is leaving.

CCr8NhDXIAARYR8.jpg

Do not approach him, you might cut yourself on all of that edge. 

Its from a Japanese trailer apparently, also has Hoopa's Unbound form.

Hm, I wonder what happens in the movie to cause this to occur.

Maybe the Big Bad, who partakes in creating artificial "Dark Mega Stones", kidnaps Serena and Hoopa at some point and threatens their lives in the Big Bad's lair, stuffed to the gills with those fake stones?

Eh, I'm just spitballing here. As far as we know, this could just be a trailer-only thing.

I don't think Goodra leaving is a surprise to anyone at this stage to be honest, most of us smelled it coming a mile off. I'm honestly not that bothered, since I don't like the Goomy line much outside of Goomy himself, and Goodra is arguably my least favourite of them. P: At least I don't have to be disappointed/ heartbroken at Goomy leaving. 

But yeah, didn't see Noibat or Eevee coming. Obvious guess would be Noibat as the Goodra replacement. Not sure who'll get the Eevee, IMO it could go either way. Serena seems like the more obvious choice, but that might be a little too obvious/ similar to May.

Also, as much as I like Getter BanBan, I do find that it's really nowhere near as fitting as an insert song as Volt was. It's just not punchy enough for the kind of scenes they're using it in. I was really hoping/ expecting for Volt to kick in at the end of last week's gym match, but nope. D:

Why is the manga adaptation out so early when the movie isn't out until July?

I don't think Goodra leaving is a surprise to anyone at this stage to be honest, most of us smelled it coming a mile off. I'm honestly not that bothered, since I don't like the Goomy line much outside of Goomy himself, and Goodra is arguably my least favourite of them. P: At least I don't have to be disappointed/ heartbroken at Goomy leaving. 

But yeah, didn't see Noibat or Eevee coming. Obvious guess would be Noibat as the Goodra replacement. Not sure who'll get the Eevee, IMO it could go either way. Serena seems like the more obvious choice, but that might be a little too obvious/ similar to May.

Also, as much as I like Getter BanBan, I do find that it's really nowhere near as fitting as an insert song as Volt was. It's just not punchy enough for the kind of scenes they're using it in. I was really hoping/ expecting for Volt to kick in at the end of last week's gym match, but nope. D:

Does the volume come out before or after the movie?

Same day I think (or a day or two after).

It's fun when the manga so drastically different from the actual movie that it's like seeing two completely different stories.

Oh, I love Getter Banban, I just don't think it fits well as a cool battle anthem/ victory theme. Volt is just way punchier and better suited for action scenes IMO.

And the music replacement makes up 90% of my problems with the dub if not more. Not only are the openings often lackluster at best, but the BGM replacements are getting more of more frequent, and the music they're using instead seems to be getting worse and worse...

It's fun when the manga so drastically different from the actual movie that it's like seeing two completely different stories.

I'd guess that's perhaps due to the movie being incomplete at the time of the initial manga? 

Maybe they're both just working from the same concept/ script, and if there are any last-minute changes made to the movie, it's too late for the manga to reflect that?

The weirdest change is replacing Type: Wild in the Ash vs. Paul finale...despite the fact they have an English cover of it. So..whaaaaaaaa

I really don't like the English version of Type: WILD so I'm not too bothered they used a different song. Just wish it was more upbeat.

I'd guess that's perhaps due to the movie being incomplete at the time of the initial manga? 

Maybe they're both just working from the same concept/ script, and if there are any last-minute changes made to the movie, it's too late for the manga to reflect that?

Perhaps. For the first movie adaptation Toshihiro Ono was asked to include Mewtwo's origin story, but he had to make up his own version because they hadn't created the "Birth of Mewtwo" audio drama yet.

They don't really do that anymore, from what I hear.

Though it'd be interesting if they did. I remember the movie 7 manga apparently had its own manga-exclusive villain.

Perhaps. For the first movie adaptation Toshihiro Ono was asked to include Mewtwo's origin story, but he had to make up his own version because they hadn't created the "Birth of Mewtwo" audio drama yet.

That one was weird. I remember that Dr. Fuji didn't die in that version.

I think aside from the music replacements and lacklustre openings, the other issue I have is that a lot of dubbing for the Pokémon themselves is horrible.

Most of the main/ recurring ones are okay enough, but when we get into less frequent ones, my god are some of them bad. They don't sound like animals, or even people trying to sound like animals; they sound like some guy in a studio putting on a silly, half-arsed voiced and saying a name into a microphone. 

This isn't just something The Pokémon Company are guilty of, either. Even back in the 4Kids days it was an issue, although admittedly maybe not quite as much early on. 

I think the biggest problem is that the dub generally tries to have them say all of, or too much of, their full name. In Japanese, they usually only say one or two syllables of their name at a time, and it makes it sound a bit more like believable animal noises. I honestly almost burst out laughing when Landorus, Thundrus and Tornadus showed up in the dub, they really stand out to me as some of the most laughably badly-dubbed Pokémon.

Sucks that Goodra is leaving, but still, congrats to Ashy boy on his first Pseudo legendary.

You mean his first fully evolved Pseudo-legendary. Why do people forget Gible exists..

I think aside from the music replacements and lacklustre openings, the other issue I have is that a lot of dubbing for the Pokémon themselves is horrible.

Most of the main/ recurring ones are okay enough, but when we get into less frequent ones, my god are some of them bad. They don't sound like animals, or even people trying to sound like animals; they sound like some guy in a studio putting on a silly, half-arsed voiced and saying a name into a microphone. 

This isn't just something The Pokémon Company are guilty of, either. Even back in the 4Kids days it was an issue, although admittedly maybe not quite as much early on. 

I think the biggest problem is that the dub generally tries to have them say all of, or too much of, their full name. In Japanese, they usually only say one or two syllables of their name at a time, and it makes it sound a bit more like believable animal noises. I honestly almost burst out laughing when Landorus, Thundrus and Tornadus showed up in the dub, they really stand out to me as some of the most laughably badly-dubbed Pokémon.

Pokemon Speak is indeed a thing that annoyed me, but I've been watching the dub for over 15 years so I just grew desensitized to it. 

I believe its just a natural result of the localization of the Pokemon names, can't really change that.