Awoo.

Pokemon Anime General Discussion

King Frosty

New Trailer, now with added darkness beams, COTM, cheery pop songs in inappropriate situations, Good Guy Genesect (oh yeah manga scans said one turns good) revealed as Douse Drive Genesect and...

Feminine Mewtwo.

Yes, really.

And there's also info on the short but no-one gives a shit.

Edited by Spin Attaxx

What...the...hell? Mewtwo is a woman now? What happened to his dark, manry voice in the first movie! T_T Unless this isn't the same Mewtwo from that movie (and sequel)...

I hope this doesn't mean the English dub will make IT sound feminine too!

Jirachi? Hmm..Guess it'll be the first anime appearance of it.

Anyway, latest episode screenshots:http://www.serebii.net/anime/pictures/bestwishes/783.shtml

Also may I say, I liked that throughout this 3 part episode, Ash, Cilan, and Iris used their strongest pokemon for once against a major threat, this something rare if I may say.

Edited by Dantemustdie00

I doubt it will be the same one from Jraichi Mediocre Wish Maker as Legendary Pokemon seem to come buy the bucket loads in the anime.

Reason why I said first anime appearance. Theirs a couple legendaries that never appeared in the anime yet like Entei and I think Zapdos.

I remember back in the Johto series that a Lugia had an infant Lugia with it, made folks question if some legendaries could actually breed or not.

I think Zapdos has appeared in the anime itself, not just the movie--wasn't there a Johto episode it appeared in or something?

Also I reeeeally don't see the big deal about Mewtwo's voice. How is it having a feminine voice bad? You can't even argue that it's a continuity error since it's apparently not the Mewtwo who appeared in the first movie.

Mewtwo having a feminine voce when not in it's new forme is bad because we've all accepted Mewtwo's manly badass voice, so having him abruptly go to having a female voice is jarring and unfitting for the character. It's like if, say, Batman: The Animated Series had Kevin Conroy's excellent voice, then come Arkham Asylum he sounded like Rainbow Brite.

And it is meant to be the same Mewtwo, a staff member said it was Mewtwo "after having seen the world after Mewtwo Returns". Not to mention having another Mewtwo appear would be nonsensical and illogical.

Oh, hadn't heard about that.

Still doesn't bother me, though. I wonder who'll voice Mewtwo in the dub ... it'd be hilarious if they actually did get Dan Green, but I doubt it. XP

I'm sure Ash can tell it's Mewtwo because he has seen him before, but that doesn't mean its the same Mewt--

And it is meant to be the same Mewtwo, a staff member said it was Mewtwo "after having seen the world after Mewtwo Returns". Not to mention having another Mewtwo appear would be nonsensical and illogical.

ijkmzfuagf42l.gif

DP90.jpg

DP75.jpg

DP267.jpg

DP268.jpg

The last episode had some great reaction shots.

why does N remind me of Future Trunks in the second picture

• Thumbs Up 1

Alright, so since the other topic isn't meant for anime discussion, let's just take it here.

I'm standing by my argument. They should change the protagonist at the beginning of each "Series" (there are currently four in total) to make way for characters that aren't planks of wood.

Unless Ash finally becomes a Pokemon master, I don't want to see any replacements.

May as well continue this.

And that's why unless the writers finally decide that Ash wins a Pokemon League I don't really want him to go anywhere, because after over a decade following this character, id want SOME closure before moving on to a new protagonist. Having him cast out without him accomplishing anything worthwhile beforehand would just lead me a bit hollow inside.

The problem with that is; Ash has never really had much of a character at least in a way that makes you relate to him. He wants to be a Pokemon Master...and that's it. No reason why, no clear definition on what a Pokemon Master is, and this goal is hardly brought up. In regards to his actual personality, he doesn't really display anything beyond the typical heroic traits for a protagonist to have, If its not Pokemon related he's as interesting as a sack of potatoes. This was probably intentional so they can use him for every season and make him and audience surrogate, but still.

You can't get closure if you don't really pursue your goal.

The problem with that is; Ash has never really had much of a character at least in a way that makes you relate to him. He wants to be a Pokemon Master...and that's it. No reason why, no clear definition on what a Pokemon Master is, and this goal is hardly brought up. In regards to his actual personality, he doesn't really display anything beyond the typical heroic traits for a protagonist to have, If its not Pokemon related he's as interesting as a sack of potatoes. This was probably intentional so they can use him for every season and make him and audience surrogate, but still.

I heard somewhere that the writers think of Ash and Pikachu as the face of pokemon. If they aren't there, then there's no more pokemon,

I heard somewhere that the writers think of Ash and Pikachu as the face of pokemon. If they aren't there, then there's no more pokemon,

That's even more insulting honestly, if they have such high regards to Ash & Pikachu then why the hell do they handle them so poorly over the years; Any experience they earn is drained back to 1, they never grow as characters or at least in a significant way, they aren't very rounded personality wise.

Thing is though Ash DOES pursue his goal, and he always comes somewhat close before the writes pull the rug out from other him and make on some contrived reason to why he can't win a League or whatever.

Beat Paul and make it into the Top 4 of the Sinnoh League? Here's a random trainer with two legendaries.

Nearly beat Cameron and ALMOST make it into the Top 4? Have his Riolu evolve out of nowhere and have it take out 3 of his Pokemon just because.

As for Ash's character, it may not be terribly interesting but he's a good enough model for a kid's anime. He's heroic, helpful, a bit reckless and naive in non-Pokemon related areas. That may sound terrible generic, but it does get some variety whenever Ash experiences a great loss (such as with Paul or even before that) where his skills and knowledge as a trainer comes into question, and he actually angsts over it for awhile before bouncing back again.

And why exactly would he constantly feel the need to bring up becoming a Pokemon Master when everyone knows it and the point of the entire show is him actively pursuing it?

Edited by Soniman

Unless Ash finally becomes a Pokemon master, I don't want to see any replacements.

I don't see why they would just throw him away. At the end of Pokemon Adventure's Red and Blue arc, the day of the climactic tournament finally arrives.

End result? Red and Blue fight there way through the preliminaries and meet each other in the finals. The two of them are now the best trainers in the entire Kanto region. The battle that ensues is actually really good, and the two of them have equally matched Pokemon and thus have to constantly outsmart each other to get the edge. 

Hell, just read it. It's some good shit.

This is what I want from the anime. Both Red and Blue have gone through significant character development and now respect each other not only as trainers, but also as friends. They've both reached their goal and know that no matter who wins, the two of them are so evenly matched that they can still walk away with the pride of knowing that they're the best of the best.

Ash can't do that.

Ash hasn't even come close to doing that.

And as long as they keep up this stupid game of "oh but he has to lose because otherwise his story would be over", he's never going to reach that. This is one of my biggest problems with the anime (and trust me, I've got plenty of other issues with it). I want Ash to be the best, and I want him to finally get some respect. 

Let his story end already. Please.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to read that final chapter of R/B because I just reminded myself how good it was.

Manga

> Snorlax preps up a Mega Punch

> Machamp grabs its arms

> Red follows up with a Mega Kick

> Blue predicted this and chose Machamp specifically so he could use the two extra arms to grab Snorlax's legs, too

Anime

> Pikachu! The horn!

Edited by Discoid
  • Thumbs Up 2

Thing is though Ash DOES pursue his goal, and he always comes somewhat close before the writes pull the rug out from other him and make on some contrived reason to why he can't win a League or whatever.

Beat Paul and make it into the Top 4 of the Sinnoh League? Here's a random trainer with two legendaries.

Nearly beat Cameron and ALMOST make it into the Top 4? Have his Riolu evolve out of nowhere and have it take out 3 of his Pokemon just because.

This is exactly what I'm criticizing. Ash is never allowed to progress in anything because any progress he makes it taken away is such a shoddy matter.

As for Ash's character, it may not be terribly interesting but he's a good enough model for a kid's anime. He's heroic, helpful, a bit reckless and naive in non-Pokemon related areas. That may sound terrible generic, but it does get some variety whenever Ash experiences a great loss (such as with Paul or even before that) where his skills and knowledge as a trainer comes into question, and he actually angsts over it for awhile before bouncing back again.

That's really no excuse, especially because there are plenty of other protagonists in other kid's series that have way more personality than Ash and more likable as a result. Like Digimon. Hell, Sonic has a more rounded personality than Ash despite both of them being pretty static. 

And why exactly would he constantly feel the need to bring up becoming a Pokemon Master whenever everyone knows it and the point of the entire show is him active pursuing it?

Because that goal has never been clearly defined in series, which go's back to my question of what is a pokemon master even supposed to be at this point? I almost get the feeling the writers use that as an excuse to mask the fact that they have no clear goal for Ash and will just have him wander aimlessly.

I don't see why they would just throw him away. At the end of Pokemon Adventure's Red and Blue arc, the day of the climactic tournament finally arrives.

End result? Red and Blue fight there way through the preliminaries and meet each other in the finals. The two of them are now the best trainers in the entire Kanto region. The battle that ensues is actually really good, and the two of them have equally matched Pokemon and thus have to constantly outsmart each other to get the edge. 

Hell, just read it. It's some good shit.

This is what I want from the anime. Both Red and Blue have gone through significant character development and now respect each other not only as trainers, but also as friends. They've both reached their goal and know that no matter who wins, the two of them are so evenly matched that they can still walk away with the pride of knowing that they're the best of the best.

Ash can't do that.

Ash hasn't even come close to doing that.

And as long as they keep up this stupid game of "oh but he has to lose because otherwise his story would be over", he's never going to reach that. This is one of my biggest problems with the anime (and trust me, I've got plenty of other issues with it). I want Ash to be the best, and I want him to finally get some respect. 

Let his story end already. Please.

Your right, his story need to end. But look at how they have treated his other victories. He won the Orange League and no one gave a rats behind. Not even anyone outside of Pummelo Island. It was mentioned once in Johto I think. Then fast forward to the Battle Frontier and no one gave a rats behind other than Paul (for a brief moment) in Sinnoh. Not to mention as well that both of his major wins were followed by a massive defeat by Gary.

• Thumbs Up 1

The writers don't give a shit about Ash's ambitions. The anime is designed specifically so that each season is catered for a new brand of viewers, due to a wealth of kids getting into the games for the first time for each generation that comes out with absolutely no regard to what came before it. However, the anime keeps Ash, Pikachu, and Team Rocket around for brand recognition I suppose. Ash has no character because new viewers are never given the indication that they ought to care about what happened in previous episodes.

The Pokémon anime is little more than a marketing vehicle due to the popularity of the franchise, although it's inoffensive as a children's show because the average viewer is going to move onto better things once they lose interest. Obviously it would require effort to give the show as captivating a narrative as Pokémon Adventures. The anime isn't worth the time of most older audiences, for better or for worse.

Though I do agree that Ash is shit. I never even liked him as a kid. Team Rocket always stole the show for me.

• Thumbs Up 2