Awoo.

Pokemon Anime General Discussion

King Frosty

Maybe a year in this world takes so much longer than a year on Earth. And the humans of that world take very long to mature.

I'm willing to accept a 100-Earth year old teenage-looking Ash.

tumblr_mj7g69owHf1r3ifxzo1_500.pngtumblr_mj7g69owHf1r3ifxzo2_500.png
The new art may be cleaner, but I don't like how the proportions look, and I feel like it's lost some of its character? That being said, I'm willing to wait and see it in motion before I draw complete conclusions. I just wish this animator drew Charizard better.

tumblr_mj7g69owHf1r3ifxzo1_500.png

tumblr_mj7g69owHf1r3ifxzo2_500.png

Okay, the stuff that sticks out to me:

1) Original was at sunset/early dawn, and the color palette was primarily dark, earthy colors for the background rocks, and warmer tones for the sky. New one is too bright, resulting in the scene feeling like noon.

2) Shading kinda looks wonky for some reason. Charizard seems to have the sun beaming straight down at him, while Ash's shadow suggests the light is coming from the upper left of the screen, and I am pretty sure that the shading under his arm doesn't work like that in real life.

3) Charizard's body proportions make him look really fat, his head seems to be off center, and his arms look like noodles. I know he didn't have the biggest arms back then, but they weren't that small. The lack of shoulders might have something to do with it.

Overall, the new one seems cheaper in appearance.

Edited by 743-E.D. Missile
  • Thumbs Up 1

That's true, I kind of miss the painted landscapes of the original format As for the comparison images, I really have no issues with the new look tbh.

Ash recognizing Mewtwo confirms that Mewtwo Returns is canon, which is good.

Though, I'm surprised Charizard doesn't show up at all in the trailer. With as much hype has been generated surrounding his return, it's striking that he's nowhere to be seen.

So many new episode pictures now that it has aired! So much great stuff (there's modern-style Advanced Generation Ash), but this is my favourite:

64880_10151281418972750_812482298_n.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

So many new episode pictures now that it has aired! So much great stuff (there's modern-style Advanced Generation Ash), but this is my favourite:

64880_10151281418972750_812482298_n.jpg

Hey guys, REMEMBER PIDGEOTTO!? ANYONE!?!?!?!

also I would totally love to know where you're getting these pics.

Some of my friends on Facebook have a mutual friend between them who keeps tagging my friends in these pictures. I don't know this person personally or have her added, but her album is set to public so here it is.

Edited by XD375

I always found Bulbasaur's position in that scene amusing. It was so awkward for him to get in on that hug.

Wasn't that a Pidgeotto in the original, and not a Pigeot?

Yeah, they've incorrectly coloured the feathers on its crest to match Pidgeot's instead.

Edited by Pawn

That's Pidgeot, not Pidgeotto. Obviously the crest has been coloured incorrectly.

That trailer for the movie was great, so good to see Mewtwo again. He looks SO different from the first movie though! The Pikachu short looks cute (as always!) too and I hope we find out there what exactly Sylveon's typing is.

Edited by Gabz Girl

Mewtwo looks epic even though I don't really like his new appearance. I mean, it's still epic but the old one was more cool and intimidating and serioius. Now he looks like he's become younger all of a sudden.

Can't wait to see more details on the movie and what does that "you have yet to see the REAL Mewtwo" line means.

I had an AMV project for Mewtwo but now I'll have to wait a whole year... Can't decide if it's good or not.

577171_499250693473683_633460683_n.jpg

Charmander - The Stray Pokemon and Charizard's Burning Ambitions, Classic version and Modern version.

I'm stunned that Koga got a cameo in this. That came out of left field.

And lol, the Magikarp Salesman appeared in the Kanto Festival. That guy is just everywhere.

Mewtwo looks epic even though I don't really like his new appearance. I mean, it's still epic but the old one was more cool and intimidating and serioius.

Oh yeah, because huge thighs, relatively small head and standing like you're wearing stilettoes is intimidating now.

So apparently Iris mistakes Charizard for a dragon type, which is why she wanted Dragonite to battle it in the first place, lol. Who's the kid now bitch.

Damn, this episode was a huge nostalgia bomb. I totally was not expecting flashbacks from so many episodes, including the Advanced Generation Ash. So now, Charizard has Wing Attack, Slash, and Dragon Tail. That's cool. Looking forward to seeing what Charizard has to offer in his time back with the group.

Edited by canderson

Oh yeah, because huge thighs, relatively small head and standing like you're wearing stilettoes is intimidating now.

Drop this. You know what I'm talking about. It's like with Charizard. He looks somewhat different.

This is just simple Art Evolution - they're changing the designs to make them more consistent to the game models.

• Thumbs Up 1

That and this specific episode happens to have one of the worst animators. Remember There's a similar thing going on with Pokémon. Hardcore fans can tell which animator does which episode just by looking at screens. I used to be able to remember which animator was which but I haven't been in the loop as much lately.

But yeah, Mewtwo's design is meant to be closer to his game art, but this particular episode's problems are beyond just that. Even N looks a little off compared to his other appearances and he only started appearing a few weeks ago.

Edited by XD375

I like how Misty has no lines in those flashbacks.

And the best part is when Iris got trolled by Charizard's typing and Axew fucking gives a trolling laugh.

Edited by Crow the BOOLET