Awoo.

Pokemon Anime General Discussion

King Frosty

For those with iOS and Androids, you can download a new app for free called Pokemon TV. It's exactly as the name implies - you can stream videos of the show on your phone to your heart's content. The app will update every week with even more episodes.

So no more searching high and low on the internet to find those episodes.

Anime Mewtwo had some of the best character development in the show and took part in the most soul-crushingly sad animated Pokemon thing ever (Birth of Mewtwo), so seeing it return would be some nice fanfare. 

Was looking through my old Pokemon books and remembered this funny little nugget:

HNI_0045-5_zpsc1ba2276.jpg

Funny how Scholastic were the only ones who actually remembered that promise. And that was thirteen years ago. tongue.png

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't mean POKÉMON movies, I mean ANY kid's movie.

Also, contrary to popular belief, making something a cyborg doesn't instantly make it cool. I could give my shit cyborg limbs, but it'd still be shit.

Hell, it wasn't even ACTUAL cybernetics; it was just some armour only there for the last 30 seconds or so. And all it did was lift some junk, then drop it on him. His name sucks too: "The Phantom"? Really? Was "Captain "Evildoer" Nastybeard" too subtle?

I don't know man, I just think you're being kind of unfair to the guy, I don't know what makes almost any of the other villians like Lawrence the 3rd any better.

I almost freaked out because I thought they were gonna use Ash's original outfit again, but then I realized that it's probably just in flashbacks.

Edited by Soniman
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, one of those screenshots looks like it's from ... Snow Way Out, I think it was called? I actually never saw that episode as a kid, only saw it like last year or so.

I know it's unlikely but I really wanna' see Squirtle and Bulbasaur too. D': Ash using his old 'mons during his inevitable (I hope, at least) battle with N would be sweeeeeeeeet.

Should be interesting to see why he decided to randomly meet up with Ash in Unova and some interactions between him and more recent captures. I'd love to see how Snivy and Scraggy react to him.

Also, new movie with Mewtwo? Yes please. I wonder how he gets mixed into things. tongue.png

Edited by Lone CC of the Apocalypse

I wonder who'll be voicing Mewtwo this time around? Dan Green, or the VA he had in the First Movie?

Also Giovanni's Persian is awesome. For something that's never battled before, it's badass. Taking an Iron Tail, then knocking Pikachu out with Power Gem? Win. <3

Edited by Lhancat

I don't know man, I just think you're being kind of unfair to the guy, I don't know what makes almost any of the other villians like Lawrence the 3rd any better.

I will admit - villains in the movies are meh at best, but Lawrence III and co. have one thing going for them:

They're not obvious clichés.

I wonder who'll be voicing Mewtwo this time around? Dan Green, or the VA he had in the First Movie?

Also Giovanni's Persian is awesome. For something that's never battled before, it's badass. Taking an Iron Tail, then knocking Pikachu out with Power Gem? Win. <3

IIRC, Mewtwo's original voice actor passed away. So it's either Green or someone else. If it's the latter, it would be interesting to see how he tackles it.

Edited by KingMan

Its easy not to be a cliche when you have no personality.

I'm mostly referring to designs. Pirates are something you've seen a million times before and I might have liked him more if they didn't go for the unoriginal "Oh look he's a pirate 400 years too late with a Chatot and everything but OMG he has a techno sub so the unoriginal design is justified rite?" route.

Besides, Kodai had no personality, and you could still call him Rupert Murdoch and little would change.

Can we just agree that aside from Mewtwo, call of the movie villains kinda suck.

I'm not sure if he was the best, let alone the only good villain, but he certainly set the bar. IMO, Mewtwo was the Goldfinger of the Pokémon movie villains.

Edited by KingMan

Can we just agree that aside from Mewtwo, call of the movie villains kinda suck.

*ignores massive pet peeve with that phrase*

As I said, I liked the Phantom, I also like Annie and Oakley from Pokemon Heroes.

I liked Molly from the 3rd movie. At least her backstory was interesting.

I've heard that the English version of The Phantom uses Tuco's "There Are Two Kind Of People Phrase" from The Good, The Bad & The Ugly. I'd like to see that.

*ignores massive pet peeve with that phrase*

As I said, I liked the Phantom, I also like Annie and Oakley from Pokemon Heroes.

What? Most of them are either bland or fairly generic. I don't think there's a movie villain I've ever liked aside from Mewtwo.

As for the pirate dude...eh, he's alright I guess, the ridiculousness of the plot just kinda killed it for me.

In my opinion Mewtwo's personality is like Shadow without the sarchasm and mocking, no thanks.

Edited by Mysterics

In my opinion Mewtwo's personality is like Shadow without the sarchasm and mocking, no thanks.

One problem with that: Mewtwo actually predates Shadow by a couple years.

One problem with that: Mewtwo actually predates Shadow by a couple years.

@Komodin

True, but Mewtwo's personality and backstory could have been the basis for Shadow.

@Mysterics

This is pretty much why I prefer his personality in the English dub of The First Movie. I don't know if it was 4Kids intention or not, but they downplayed some of his angst a bit, acting a bit less like a Shadow predecessor and a bit more like a Christopher Lee-styled villain. It made his character more enjoyable and is, with an exception from a line or two I wish they kept, superior to the original Japanese script. Probably one of the few times where 4Kids actually improved a character, rather than make it worse.

Everywhere else, oy. The radio drama did a decent job with him when he was little, but when they showed him all grown up is when he started to get annoying. At two points, you even have him thinking that he has never cried and promises not to. Really? If you have guys like Kenshiro, Aragorn and even James Bond cry without looking stupid, I'm pretty sure you could have Mewtwo do the same.

Just got back from the Keldeo movie. Here are my thoughts:

Kyurem vs The Sword of Justice is probably the best of the modern Pokemon movies yet. Everything about it is great,
the story, narrative, even the characters. For once it focused on the
POKEMON and not Ash stealing the spotlight. Team Rocket didn't show up
either, another plus. Really I think this is how all Pokemon movies
should be. I doubt Genesect is going to pass it at all, and go back to
"evil Trainer wants to take over the world while Ash steals the
spotlight" shtick.

I didn't like hat Kadleo movie because it was nothing but one long chase sequence between Kadleo and Kyruem. Sure the beginning was interesting and I would have loved to see how Kadleo development with the other Swords of Justice would have played out, to bad they are gone of 90% of the movie, rendering the whole thing a boring watch that shoehorns in Ash and the gang.

Edited by Soniman

Now that I think about it, all of the Pokémon movies thus far are mediocre at best. The first one is my favorite based on nostalgia factor alone - if not for that, I wouldn't have a favorite.

Also, for whatever reason, when I was little, I saw Mewtwo as some sort of hybrid of him and Majin Buu (even though I had no idea of who the guy was back then... and still know little about other than "the only DBZ villain who turns good"). And that Hitmonlee wore sneakers.

Now that I think about it, all of the Pokémon movies thus far are mediocre at best. The first one is my favorite based on nostalgia factor alone - if not for that, I wouldn't have a favorite.

Also, for whatever reason, when I was little, I saw Mewtwo as some sort of hybrid of him and Majin Buu (even though I had no idea of who the guy was back then... and still know little about other than "the only DBZ villain who turns good"). And that Hitmonlee wore sneakers.

For many years I always thought that Cradily's eyes where those spots on its head and that the actual eyes where teeth.

4OLUeGZ.png

• Thumbs Up 5