Awoo.

Pokemon Anime General Discussion

King Frosty

Just rewatched Charizard Chills, and I counted at least five or six different attacks. Ember, Flamethrower, Take Down, Seismic Toss, Rage, Ash mentioned Mega Punch, and Fly is arguable as well.

:|a You sure they've only ever stuck to four moves...?

Edited by Mega

Just rewatched Charizard Chills, and I counted at least five or six different attacks. Ember, Flamethrower, Take Down, Seismic Toss, Rage, Ash mentioned Mega Punch, and Fly is arguable as well.

:|a You sure they've only ever stuck to four moves...?

I heard that was a dub only thing to play up how overpowered Dragonite was.

I heard that was a dub only thing to play up how overpowered Dragonite was.

Preeeeety sure that was in the original concept as well.

Yeah I was right.

Dragonite could use an astonishing 10 different moves. This was done by the writer of the episode, Atsuhiro Tomioka, to make Dragonite seem more unstoppable.
Edited by Soniman

Charizard was always a champ of sorts in the anime, so if the 4+ move library of his is in fact true in the original version, that's understandable to a degree. Charizard's moves were all either flame-based or physical in-your-face moves, so it's natural that one attack would lead to another like Ember->Flamethrower->Dragon Rage or Take Down->Seismic Toss.

Drake's Dragonite, however, had 10 moves with a lot of variation between them. There was the standard Dragon Rage and Hyper Beam befitting a Dragonite, but it also packed a Water Gun, Ice Beam, and Thunderbolt and Thunder, as well as some physical moves like Slam to beat faces in.

Dragonite beating a (mostly) fresh Charizard, while still having the strength to take down Squirtle and Tauros with that repertoire of moves, sure made it seem like it was unstoppable.

Also, Ash's Kingler used eight moves in one episode, IIRC. Maybe it just wasn't enforced in the early episodes? The four move limit, tht is.

Yeah I did, it was okay I guess. I enjoyed the fact that Ash and company finally have a chance to meet Giovanni closest thing the series had to a overall big bad....

But what the hell was up with Mewtwo and the clones? I thought at the end of the first movie Mewtwo was over his clone depression and accepted that all Pokemon were born the same and they are all equal.....

But in this movie, he goes on and on about how clones are freaks of nature and they should remain isolated from the rest of the world. Did the writers just forget all the lessons he learned? I found that really stupid and detrimental to Mewtwo's character having to "re-learn" the lesson he learned in the first movie.

Not that suprising, given that this is the same show that would later have Ash's IQ plummet during the Unova arc. Hoenstly, having characters re-learn lessons they should already know is one of the animé's most annoying aspects, assuming I'm not wrong.

Also, why on Earth did Mewtwo not bother erasing Team Rocket's memory until after the end of Returns? I understand he didn't do it in the first film because he was going to kill them anyway, but did it ever occur to him that Giovanni could still be looking for him to enslave him again?

Also, why on Earth did Mewtwo not bother erasing Team Rocket's memory until after the end of Returns? I understand he didn't do it in the first film because he was going to kill them anyway, but did it ever occur to him that Giovanni could still be looking for him to enslave him again?

Mewtwo's mind-wiping ability seems to be limited to an area that only he could see or knows about. The island and the harbor near it are places he's known about for a while, but he had destroyed the base where he had been kept in, so he wouldn't have known where Giovanni had taken off to. Mewtwo could have gone looking at the Viridian Gym, but that gym was demolished during Ash's battle there.

Besides, his newfound appreciation for life made searching for a home for him and his clone brethren a top priority. He had no time nor interest in seeking Giovanni out.

Edited by Obnoxious Celtic Guardian

So, does anyone else think TPCI really needs to hire new song writers? I mean, compare a 4kids intro like this...

Which, while cheesy, is full of energy and catchy as heck to...

This, which is bland and sounds... like pretty much every other song they've done?

I wonder why they're so averse to just translating the JP songs. THey've used instrumentals of them before.

Was that first video recorded with a potato?

But yea, the new songs are just bland as hell...they bore me, and it doesn't help that they all say the damn thing./

I couldn't find any nice quality videos of the opening on youtube. u_u The only English OP from 4kids era I can find in decent quality is the original.

But yes, that is my biggest pet peeve with the new openings. They're formulaic as hell. La la la la journey, blah blah blah FRIENDSHIP, Pokémon!

At least this is energetic.

Mewtwo's mind-wiping ability seems to be limited to an area that only he could see or knows about. The island and the harbor near it are places he's known about for a while, but he had destroyed the base where he had been kept in, so he wouldn't have known where Giovanni had taken off to. Mewtwo could have gone looking at the Viridian Gym, but that gym was demolished during Ash's battle there.

Besides, his newfound appreciation for life made searching for a home for him and his clone brethren a top priority. He had no time nor interest in seeking Giovanni out.

So he either guards the clones and risks Team Rocket eventually finding him or seek them out and risk something bad happening while he's gone. Lose-lose. Okay, at least that part makes sense.

I still find Black and White's Friendship themes a lot better than whatever the hell Diamon and Pearl had, they're kind of cute and somewhat catchy to me.

But yeah, they really do need to find a way to bring the past song writers back again, I honestly can't think of a single bad English OP for Pokemon during their 4kids era.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Next week's episode is the debut of Colress, and he doesn't appear to be pulling any punches.

773-i.jpg

It's a similar condition that Pikachu and Togepi had in that OI episode with Butch and Cassidy, but they just appeared grumpy then. Axew and Pikachu now look like they want to tear things to shreds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUpJ3R3VJ6Y

Edited by Joshua
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bring your brown pants to M16, folks...

Why?

Brace yourselves...

CoroCoro_March_2013_p11.png

HE'S BACK.

Edited by Spin Attaxx
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well, I want to see the 16th movie now.

As much as I find Mewtwo overrated as hell, Genesect and Mewtwo possibly fighting each other is too fucking awesome to resist.

Bring your brown pants to M16, folks...

Why?

Brace yourselves...

HE'S BACK.

EDIT: Don't know why the picture isn't showing up...

......Who?

This may be the first good Pokemon movie since like.........Manaphy.

Tell that to Serps face. He hates the Manaphy movie

I hate the Manaphy movie too. Manaphy got pretty annoying, it was rather filler-ish in the middle, Kyogre had little reason to be there for all of 30 seconds and... the villain is a pirate? Really? You had to resort to using a stock character for your villain?!

Psh, yall be hating.

The Manaphy movie had great scenery, a fantastic musical score, a somewhat belivable relationsnhip between Manaphy and May, Ash going super sayian, and great underwater scenes.

And you know what? I like the Pirate villian. It's nice to see somewhat of a fun villian and not some overly dull, generic, one dimensional evil character that you see in almost ALL of the other movies.

Edited by Soniman
  • Thumbs Up 6

Ok, so you like it for something all the other movies have and a Deus Ex Machina?

And I don't see why they couldn't take that so-called goofyness and enjoyability and use a character design that didn't look like the artist had to turn to a 3 year old's book for inspiration.

If the guy was a former member of Team Aqua, then it would make SOME sense. And I like characters that are new and fresh with their designs, and not OMG another one of something you've seen in every other movie.

Edited by Spin Attaxx

Ok, so you like it for something all the other movies have and a Deus Ex Machina?

If you want to dumb it down like that to the point of falsehood, then sure.

And I don't see why they couldn't take that so-called goofyness and enjoyability and use a character design that didn't look like the artist had to turn to a 3 year old's book for inspiration.

Yeah, because I see cyborg pirates in 3-year old children's book all the time!

If the guy was a former member of Team Aqua, then it would make SOME sense. And I like characters that are new and fresh with their designs, and not OMG another one of something you've seen in every other movie.

Which is EXACTLY what this guy is! Are you kidding me?

pm9-2.gif

How the hell is this similar to ANY villian you'd see in the other movies?

Edited by Soniman
  • Thumbs Up 2

I don't mean POKÉMON movies, I mean ANY kid's movie.

Also, contrary to popular belief, making something a cyborg doesn't instantly make it cool. I could give my shit cyborg limbs, but it'd still be shit.

Hell, it wasn't even ACTUAL cybernetics; it was just some armour only there for the last 30 seconds or so. And all it did was lift some junk, then drop it on him. His name sucks too: "The Phantom"? Really? Was "Captain "Evildoer" Nastybeard" too subtle?

Edited by Spin Attaxx